Going to Venice: What To Do or See?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
LateStarter1975

Going to Venice: What To Do or See?

Post by LateStarter1975 »

DW and I with our two kids (aged 4 and 6) will be going to Venice, Italy next month for a wedding. We'll be there for 4 days, so not much time to explore the city. So I wanted to ask, for those who have been to Venice, what is the one thing that is a must-do (or must-see) to do while in Venice that is family-friendly. I don't mind having a list of things to do and I can pick from that list. This way, I don't have to worry too much about figuring things out while I'm there. I will also welcome other tips to know about Venice before we go. Thank you so much.
Debt is dangerous...simple is beautiful
PaunchyPirate

Re: Going to Venice: What To Do or See?

Post by PaunchyPirate »

I would guess the #1 thing to do would be to hire a gondola and be driven thru some of the canals. The kids would love it. Try to find an entertaining gondolier.

#2, for me, would be to ride a vaporetto water bus up the entire Grand Canal. Consider doing it again after dark if that’s feasible with the kids.
#3, for me, would be to just explore the city as much as possible on foot. Find the major bridges, like the Rialto, and enjoy gelato. Go inside any of the notable churches.
#4, I never did it, but the kids would love going up in the The Campanile di San Marco (tall tower overlooking St. Marks Square).
retired@50

Post by retired@50 »

Speaking of canals in Venice...

See link: https://www.lonelyplanet.com/news/venic ... l-visitors

Regards,
If liberty means anything at all it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. -George Orwell
ClaycordJCA

Post by ClaycordJCA »

This Topic is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (travel).
Tdubs

Post by Tdubs »

Feed the pigeons.
BattyNatty

Post by BattyNatty »

We had a great time by getting away from the tourist hot spots and just wandering and taking it all in. Find some places to eat that aren't catering to the cruise ships and see the outer neighborhoods.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the gondola ride. Basically an expensive(!) and ultimately kind of annoying photo op.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Basically the commuter buses are boats so you can get really low cost trips around the canals with Venetians and watch the gondolas from there. Also they go into the local areas that you might not otherwise see. Before your trip watch the 1932 film Trouble in Paradise, which starts out in Venice and stars the rakish, witty and debonair WWI hero and heartthrob Herbert Marshall, the whodidntante of his day.
James David

Post by James David »

Go to the Mariner Museum, lots of history.
virginiavanguard

Post by virginiavanguard »

St. Mark’s (San Marco) is awesome. Find out when the interior will be lit up more. Amazing. Different than any cathedral I had ever seen.
Pacific

Post by Pacific »

Maybe things will change before you get there:

https://interestingengineering.com/scie ... ate-change
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Venice? Forget the gondolas.... No water due to drought.
FrodoKenobi

Post by FrodoKenobi »

The kids may like seeing glass being blown on Murano. It's a nice trip, I think on the #12 vaporetto.

Another thing they might like is a) getting a map of Venice and b) just walking, sitting and getting gelato; etc. as needed. When you hit a bigger body of water, pull out the map, figure where you are, and then have the kids decide which way to set off next. Repeat as needed. It's a neat way to explore a neat place.
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

Get lost. Over and over.
Vanguard/Fidelity | 76% US Stock | 16% Int'l Stock | 8% Cash
Watty

Post by Watty »

Be aware that there is a drought going on over there and some of the canals are drying up.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/wor ... 321656002/

Be sure to go up the bell tower at San Giorgio Maggiore church which has a great view of the grand canal and at least when we were there it was not crowded like San Marco square. Be sure to check on the times it is open. As I recall getting to it took some planning since only certain vaporetto's(water busses) go in the right direction and stop at the right places.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_ ... eneto.html

One of the best things at Venice is to get away from the madness in the tourist areas and get semi lost walking across the islands. At one point we were wondering and somehow got in a university area around dinner time and it had a non-tourist vibe with lots of students around. People were drinking an orange drink called Aperol Spritz which Venice is known for which was very good and very potent. :D

Be cautious about the restaurants around San Marco square, or anywhere in Venice, since they can be expensive and some of them have been known to rip off tourists. If they bring a plate or drink to your table that you did not order then they may be setting you up for a huge charge. Google "Venice Scams" and spend some time reading the stories that you will find. You can run into scams anywhere but tourism is so intense there that they can be more of a problem in Venice.
Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel »

Spend an entire day and just walk around without a map. Explore the churches you pass by, stop into restaurants and cafes, get some gelato, walk down the narrow streets. The narrower the street, the more interesting.

Otherwise, make a point to walk through San Marco square, Doge’s Palace, Rialto bridge, and gondola ride. You can really see a lot of the city in just 1-2 days if you’re determined.
Pacific

Post by Pacific »

Don't bother with Google maps.

Or, any maps.

They won't be of assistance.

You will be lost 24/7, but nothing to worry about.
celia

Post by celia »

Make a mental note that if you need urgent care, there is one in San Marco Square with a pharmacy a few doors away. At least it was there when we visited about 10 years ago.
Lisbon2022

Post by Lisbon2022 »

Take the vaparetto to Lido.
There is a huge beach where you can relax with the children.
Zdex

Post by Zdex »

Gondolas: grossly overrated. What locals think when they see foreigners in the gondolas: easy marks. Commuter boats are the way, maybe even a tour boat (much more fun than the gondolas).

The smart tourist will visit the Rialto Bridge and nearby touristy stuff during the weekday. Weekend, if it’s busy or a holiday, forget it, worse than a Disney weekend around that area. See big crowds? Just stay away, it’s miserable if there are loads of people. You won’t like it (unless jam-packed airports and slow-as-molasses lines are your idea of a fun day); and don’t put valuables in your pockets in Venice crowds. Uber-skilled pickpockets in this part of Italy (well-known).

Also, if you are going to be out from dawn till dusk, don’t forget sunscreen. Even in April, if it’s a cloudless day, that Italian sun will burn your dome and the back of your neck right quick. You won’t realize it ‘till your back at the hotel. If you get burnt in Venice, your warm shower will fiercely sting and the rest of your evening is going to really suck. Ask me how I know.
yatesd

Post by yatesd »

We spent 5 days in Venice a few years ago and loved it. We had a teenager with us, so different circumstances.

Please just walk around and get lost, over and over. Explore almost every neighborhood, at different hours. I enjoyed watching the shops get their food deliveries by boat early in the morning, espresso, the seafood market (must see), gelato, and fresh seafood.

When we arrived by boat to our hotel from the airport we decided to get a quick meal for lunch. Well, not a quick meal but a fantastic experience. The waiter had me look into a bucket to pick out the fish I wanted and confirm the size.

When we were there we stayed at the Marriott Autograph Collection Boscolo, it is now been purchased by NH. I was hesitant to book since it was farther away from the action, but that was my favorite aspect. It was originally a French Embassy and built in the 1500's. My daughter loved the bunnies in the backyard. I loved the free boat rides to the tourist sections from the back of the hotel.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Revie ... eneto.html

We also rented a car and drove around and had great pizza in Parma, took a train to some pretty town, and rented a car and went into Austria for a day. Probably too much with young kids. When we were ready to leave Venice we took a boat ride directly from the front of our hotel to the cruise ship (still had cruise ships onsite back in 2017).

Have fun!
MGBMartin

Post by MGBMartin »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:00 pm Basically the commuter buses are boats so you can get really low cost trips around the canals with Venetians and watch the gondolas from there. Also they go into the local areas that you might not otherwise see. Before your trip watch the 1932 film Trouble in Paradise, which starts out in Venice and stars the rakish, witty and debonair WWI hero and heartthrob Herbert Marshall, the whodidntante of his day.
Really low cost trips around the canals?
A single Vaporetto (water bus) ticket for visits now €9.50 I believe, that’s about $10. You can get passes for 24 hours, 3 days etc that help for multiple journeys.
If you want really low cost tickets you need to be a Venice resident as they pay €1.50 per ticket.
Bad spellers of the world untie | Autocorrect is my worst enema
MGBMartin

Post by MGBMartin »

For an inexpensive Gondola ride option take a traghetto ride across the Grand Canal.
These are gondolas that provide a ride across the Canal in spots where there is no bridge.
The ride costs €2 as opposed to €80 or more for a traditional gondola tour.
Bad spellers of the world untie | Autocorrect is my worst enema
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

MGBMartin wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:55 am
AnnetteLouisan wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:00 pm Basically the commuter buses are boats so you can get really low cost trips around the canals with Venetians and watch the gondolas from there. Also they go into the local areas that you might not otherwise see. Before your trip watch the 1932 film Trouble in Paradise, which starts out in Venice and stars the rakish, witty and debonair WWI hero and heartthrob Herbert Marshall, the whodidntante of his day.
Really low cost trips around the canals?
A single Vaporetto (water bus) ticket for visits now €9.50 I believe, that’s about $10. You can get passes for 24 hours, 3 days etc that help for multiple journeys.
If you want really low cost tickets you need to be a Venice resident as they pay €1.50 per ticket.
I just piled on the boat with a crowd of Venetians and no one asked me about my residency. This was a while ago though (late 80s) and maybe I did get a 24 hour or even local resident ticket. Anyway it seemed inexpensive to me at the time and it was in lire. cheaper than a gondola anyway by a long shot. And a more “real” experience as we went into residential areas.

Check out the exceptional Rossellini movie I Vitelloni and the series, My Brilliant Friend for insights into southern European life.
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CenTexan

Post by CenTexan »

For a first trip, visit San Marco Plaza. Get into Saint Mark's if time permits. Go up the Bell Tower.

This will create a lifelong memory for you/kids - and almost all reference to Venice shows the Plaza - so the memory will be reinforced.

Secondary - Rialto Bridge/shops, Gelato, getting lost.

Tertiary - gondola, Murano, other churches
Goldwater85

Post by Goldwater85 »

Harry’s Bar is a must for Hemingway fans. Have a $25 Montgomery or the original Bellini. Have an aperol spritz at a cafe with a view.

Venice is beautiful and completely unique and everyone should see it. But you’ll wish you’d gone in the 1950s or 1930s, when it was a functioning city and not just a giant tourist trap. 4 days is ample.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

How about a quick lesson on "rowing" a gondola?

https://rowvenice.org

I surprised DH with a lesson a few years ago, and it was a huge hit! :happy

It wasn't as expensive as I would have expected for a truly private 90 minute lesson. I just checked, and the price seems about the same for 2:

"• Total cost (per boat) is €85 for 1 or 2 people, €120 for 3 people, and €140 for 4 people"

There is a bigger boat that can take 5 people. I have no idea what that looks like.
They also offer lessons in the Grand Canal, but I'm not sure I'd recommend that for a first try. It was a bit intimidating enough trying to handle the gondola "alone" (the instructor is right there, of course). But in the busy Grand Canal? :shock:

Anyway, we have some very fond memories and a few amazing photos.

You'll have a great time there no matter what you do, Just wandering around is wonderful.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Super Hans

Post by Super Hans »

I'm also going to La Serenissima next month with the family, during settimana sancta. I wish I'd seen that tip on the NH Hotel. I saw it in online searches, thought it looked a little too expensive, and now the price has gone up quite a bit more. Before kids I hit a few of the legendary places, the Gritti, the Danieli, the Bauer Palazzo (my favourite, though it's not fair to compare given different room types), but the prices now have outpaced inflation dramatically--unless Holy Week is just double the price. I'm not sure what to expect of crowds and festivities then. Certainly my hope is just to wander around and get lost for a couple of days.
Topic Author
LateStarter1975

PaunchyPirate wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:03 pm I would guess the #1 thing to do would be to hire a gondola and be driven thru some of the canals. The kids would love it. Try to find an entertaining gondolier.

#2, for me, would be to ride a vaporetto water bus up the entire Grand Canal. Consider doing it again after dark if that’s feasible with the kids.
#3, for me, would be to just explore the city as much as possible on foot. Find the major bridges, like the Rialto, and enjoy gelato. Go inside any of the notable churches.
#4, I never did it, but the kids would love going up in the The Campanile di San Marco (tall tower overlooking St. Marks Square).
This is very helpful. Thank you so much
Topic Author
LateStarter1975

Thanks to all who replied. I'm going to take time to digest all the tips and suggestions and make notes. This was helpful
Circe

Post by Circe »

I agree with all of the above -- I walked the city for about 3 days. One time I was there for Carnival and really enjoyed seeing people in costume. The mask shops are also interesting.

My fondest memories are of the gondola lesson and Murano.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Circe wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:37 pm I agree with all of the above -- I walked the city for about 3 days. One time I was there for Carnival and really enjoyed seeing people in costume. The mask shops are also interesting.

You are the first person we've ever "met" who had even heard of the gondola rowing lesson! :happy

It was such an interesting experience. We also enjoyed a special visit with some glassblowers in Murano.

But the gondola lesson was one of those very unusual experiences, something we always treasure when we can find something like that.

I assume that during Carnival, it was extraordinarily crowded?
We did enjoy seeing some of the masks in various shops,

RM
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

LateStarter1975 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:56 pm
PaunchyPirate wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:03 pm I would guess the #1 thing to do would be to hire a gondola and be driven thru some of the canals. The kids would love it. Try to find an entertaining gondolier.

All good advice.

San Marco in particular, and the street that goes from the bus plaza to San Marco, get suffocatingly busy. Only go in in early AM or after about 530pm. I cannot remember the name of that main street but it also has great ice cream. There's a depressingly large number of tacky tourist souvenir places especially around San Marco.

Because Venice is very much a commuter town (the average age of residents is now over 50) it gets much quieter at night-- young people live on the mainland. You do see people rushing off to the casino in the evening - knowing Venice's history of decline (it became infamous for its gambling & the ruination of many families with it) that's kind of sad.

We had a book, something like A Traveller's History of Venice or Venice a very short history? Worth a read because Venice wasn't really Italian (and was part of the Austrian empire for a time)-- Venice was an independent maritime power until the 1800s.

The problem of pickpockets is severe-- beware of anything that might distract you. In San Marco (only) we also had some problems with restaurants short changing tourists (legally they must post prices, but I think what the restaurant did was not post prices and then charged what the market would bear).

San Marco (the area that has San Marco basilica as its parish church) is just over touristed, over crowded. Pretty around 8 am before the crowds hit it. And towards sundown. It's actually worth (once) paying $20 or whatever for a coffee and sitting in the square facing the sea around sunset.

All the other parishes are much quieter and more pleasant. For example sitting in the Piazza San Campo (?). Restaurants are also cheaper.

The Jewish Ghetto in Cannaregio is fascinating if you take a tour. Remember it won't be open on Saturday (to see inside any of the buildings). Most museums and galleries are closed on Mondays. Venice has more galleries than you can possibly stand - but the Academia is worth it.

The real charm of Venice is the backstreets. You will need a map - they are not logical (and I am not sure if the phone reception is always good enough to rely on your phone). Every church is fascinating in what it has so a guidebook is really important.

At the very least, walk along the waterfront as far as the Arsenale park (Venice has a bi-annual art festival and a big part of the park is only open when that is on; the Arsenal itself is a working naval base* but is used for art exhibits during the Biennale). So that's facing the water, you go left.

You get around by Vaporetto (Venice's excellent waterbus system). Tickets are easy to get and everyone uses the system. Be warned: if the seats are reserved for older people, you will get turfed out by a very stern looking old Venetian (it's part of the experience). The Grand Canal route in particular gets *really* busy so it's sometimes worth going round the island instead. Conversely the GC is really pretty at night with all the palaces lit up.

Lots of people go across the water (short trip) to Murano to see the glassworks factories. Expect a (very) hard sell if you do one of the tours. Burano is an old fishing village island -- that's a longer journey. Pictureseque.

* the Germans took it over in WW2. And the Allies bombed it. I am so glad I was not the officer who took that decision, but the majority of the city seems to have survived. The threat from cruise liners & rising sea levels is much greater.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

ResearchMed wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:27 am
Circe wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:37 pm I agree with all of the above -- I walked the city for about 3 days. One time I was there for Carnival and really enjoyed seeing people in costume. The mask shops are also interesting.

You are the first person we've ever "met" who had even heard of the gondola rowing lesson! :happy

It was such an interesting experience. We also enjoyed a special visit with some glassblowers in Murano.

But the gondola lesson was one of those very unusual experiences, something we always treasure when we can find something like that.

I assume that during Carnival, it was extraordinarily crowded?
We did enjoy seeing some of the masks in various shops,

RM
Carnival it would be insane. Frightening levels of crowding, I should imagine.
camden

Post by camden »

Goldwater85 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:42 am Harry’s Bar is a must for Hemingway fans. Have a $25 Montgomery or the original Bellini. Have an aperol spritz at a cafe with a view.

Venice is beautiful and completely unique and everyone should see it. But you’ll wish you’d gone in the 1950s or 1930s, when it was a functioning city and not just a giant tourist trap. 4 days is ample.
Totally agree that Venice is unique and fascinating, but Harry’s Bar? Would not bother even if you are a Hemingway fan. My second time in Venice I went there. It was so packed with humanity that when I opened the door I would have literally had to squeeze through others to set my first foot in the place. Turned around and left. If you envision sitting at a cozy table soaking up the atmosphere while channeling Hemingway drinking with his buds, suspect you will be very disappointed.
lobsterman2112

Post by lobsterman2112 »

I think the dry canals are due to low tide, rather than drought. Look at one of the Venice Live Cams (ie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph1vpnYIxJk ) to see what is going on now.
sonos

Post by sonos »

We were in Italy for a month and Venice for 4 days. There were 6 adults and my 2 and 6 year old grandsons. The highlight was when we rented a private water taxi had him take us on a 3 hour tour. We went to the large and very small water ways, stopped a couple of times for drinks, gelatos etc. He took us to areas where many of the employes live. At the end he dropped us off at his favorite restaurant that was close to where we were staying. They know where they can go and not go. Talk to a few and you will connect with one and ask what they would recommend and how much ($300). Have fun and enjoy!
traveler901

Post by traveler901 »

Do the whole St. Marks' Square area. The cathedral, Doge's palace, and go up the Campanile. I would get out of this area though for restaurants.

Gondola ride.

Private water tour would be really cool.

Otherwise, just walk around a ton and eat. Really cool city to get lost in. We really enjoyed crossing the canal and wandering the Dorsoduro area. Less of the cruisers over there and at night was a magical area to grab some drinks outside and soak it all in.
Angangang

Post by Angangang »

I enjoyed Venice more than I expected! I recommend two things:

1. The vaporetti / water buses - You might have to buy a 20 Euro day pass per person, but this gets you access to all of the outlying islands, etc. So we spend one day riding every one of the vaporetti and a second day exploring on foot. There is nothing like a ride down the grand canal.

2. Eat some ciccheti - These are the "tapas" of Venice. Sometimes it is just a piece of ham or cheese on bread, but sometimes it is a whole lot more. For a euro or two, you can get a small glass of wine and a snack. We were there in the fall, and the pumpkin ricotta spread was incredible. I also recommend the bacalao fish (rehydrated cod made into a salad/spread). You can mostly just pick something from the display and dig in. Doing a ciccheti crawl through Venice was the highlight of the trip. You could easily mix this in with a day on food walking to the sights. You probably will need a city map to find some of these tiny, hidden places; but the effort is worth it. The kids might be able to handle this since you are eating / drinking standing up and not taking a lot of time at each stop. I recommend: Cantinone Del Vino Già Schiavi and Cantina Do Mori. You can find many more of these places in articles on the internet like this one: https://theromanguy.com/italy-travel-bl ... in-venice/
Frobie

Post by Frobie »

pizzy wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:09 pm Get lost. Over and over.
Yes, this. It’s a small island, so you can’t get TOO lost.

Loved just wandering around there.
caffeperfavore

Post by caffeperfavore »

Have an overpriced espresso in the outdoor seating area of Cafe Florian in the piazza of St. Mark's and rest while you watch your kids chase the pigeons. Cafe Florian claims to be the oldest cafe in Europe (disputed) and it's worth a peek inside (it's much cheaper if you order from the back inside, but not an option if you're sitting out front).

It was years ago, but I was in Venice in April and it was wonderful. Great weather and not too many tourists. We weren't there with kids, so we mostly enjoyed walking endlessly, exploring the back alleys and neighborhoods, and eating and drinking at the ciccheti bars. Murano is worth a trip if you like glassware at all.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

It depends upon your interests. For instance, if you really like art there are a few very good art museums. But if you are more interested in history or architecture or something else then you can skip the art.
People always lead with "what's best" - this is never a one size fits all.
That all said - can't go wrong with a gondola ride (and a taxi boat doesn't replace it - they stay in the main canal - you miss the more interesting part of the ride)
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

Make sure the wheels on your suitcases are in good working order! Lots of cobblestones and stairs up and down the bridges.

I went with my son who had just graduated from college. I think he enjoyed it much more as a young adult than he would have as a youngster. The history is fascinating (we took a walking tour), and a highlight was the Vivaldi concert with musicians in period attire. I wish we would have gone to the Peggy Guggenheim; she was one of Pollock's first collectors.

We splurged on an Airbnb with air conditioning, and that was a welcome respite at the end of the day.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/AttractionP ... eneto.html
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

The Basilica at San Marco has tile/mosaics made with gold.

When we were there (pre-Covid), there was one time during the day when they turned the lights on inside and you could see it all glimmering. Beautiful!

If you are going to go inside, try to time it with the lights, if that is still done.

RM
Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel »

LilyFleur wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:30 pm Make sure the wheels on your suitcases are in good working order! Lots of cobblestones and stairs up and down the bridges.
Absolutely! I broke my old poor brand-name suitcase wheels off while trying to walk to our Air BnB in Venice. If your suitcase is in poor condition, buy a new one before you go!
Circe

Post by Circe »

My Carnival visit was about 20 years ago. It was crowded but fun. I'm glad that I did it then. Normal days look much more crowded than that in recent years. We also didn't have flooding or extra dry canals on my visits. I haven't been to Venice in 15 years, so while it's a favorite, I've been to lots of other places since then. Hope to get back again but I suspect that it's still less crowded in the winter so will probably do that eventually.

I've always been a water person, so anytime I can take a lesson in any type of watercraft from experts, I'll do it. Yeah, not cheap, but how many times will I get that opportunity?

Many years ago, when I was a kid, I bought a piece of Millefiori glassware, made in Murano. I wrote to the manufacturer and asked questions about how it was made (no internet back then). They actually responded and sent me a few pieces of glass cane and some slices. So seeing them being made in person was always on my bucket list. I haven't seen the letter since then but still have the canes and slices. I bought a couple more paperweights while there.
NateH

Post by NateH »

Doge's palace was pretty cool, in addition to the amazing San Marco. Kids would probably like it -- for a little while anyway.

We saw an opera one of our evenings in Venice and it was breathtaking. This was pre-kids, FWIW.

I second what others have said about veering away from touristy areas for a more authentic experience.
4X top-twenty S&P 500 prognosticator. I'd start a newsletter, but it would only have one issue per year. | dumb investor during 1999 tech bubble, current slice & dicer.
Topic Author
LateStarter1975

Valuethinker wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:10 am
LateStarter1975 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:56 pm

All good advice.

San Marco in particular, and the street that goes from the bus plaza to San Marco, get suffocatingly busy. Only go in in early AM or after about 530pm. I cannot remember the name of that main street but it also has great ice cream. There's a depressingly large number of tacky tourist souvenir places especially around San Marco.

Because Venice is very much a commuter town (the average age of residents is now over 50) it gets much quieter at night-- young people live on the mainland. You do see people rushing off to the casino in the evening - knowing Venice's history of decline (it became infamous for its gambling & the ruination of many families with it) that's kind of sad.

We had a book, something like A Traveller's History of Venice or Venice a very short history? Worth a read because Venice wasn't really Italian (and was part of the Austrian empire for a time)-- Venice was an independent maritime power until the 1800s.

The problem of pickpockets is severe-- beware of anything that might distract you. In San Marco (only) we also had some problems with restaurants short changing tourists (legally they must post prices, but I think what the restaurant did was not post prices and then charged what the market would bear).

San Marco (the area that has San Marco basilica as its parish church) is just over touristed, over crowded. Pretty around 8 am before the crowds hit it. And towards sundown. It's actually worth (once) paying $20 or whatever for a coffee and sitting in the square facing the sea around sunset.

All the other parishes are much quieter and more pleasant. For example sitting in the Piazza San Campo (?). Restaurants are also cheaper.

The Jewish Ghetto in Cannaregio is fascinating if you take a tour. Remember it won't be open on Saturday (to see inside any of the buildings). Most museums and galleries are closed on Mondays. Venice has more galleries than you can possibly stand - but the Academia is worth it.

The real charm of Venice is the backstreets. You will need a map - they are not logical (and I am not sure if the phone reception is always good enough to rely on your phone). Every church is fascinating in what it has so a guidebook is really important.

At the very least, walk along the waterfront as far as the Arsenale park (Venice has a bi-annual art festival and a big part of the park is only open when that is on; the Arsenal itself is a working naval base* but is used for art exhibits during the Biennale). So that's facing the water, you go left.

You get around by Vaporetto (Venice's excellent waterbus system). Tickets are easy to get and everyone uses the system. Be warned: if the seats are reserved for older people, you will get turfed out by a very stern looking old Venetian (it's part of the experience). The Grand Canal route in particular gets *really* busy so it's sometimes worth going round the island instead. Conversely the GC is really pretty at night with all the palaces lit up.

Lots of people go across the water (short trip) to Murano to see the glassworks factories. Expect a (very) hard sell if you do one of the tours. Burano is an old fishing village island -- that's a longer journey. Pictureseque.

* the Germans took it over in WW2. And the Allies bombed it. I am so glad I was not the officer who took that decision, but the majority of the city seems to have survived. The threat from cruise liners & rising sea levels is much greater.
Thank you so much Valuethinker
Topic Author
LateStarter1975

sonos wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:21 am We were in Italy for a month and Venice for 4 days. There were 6 adults and my 2 and 6 year old grandsons. The highlight was when we rented a private water taxi had him take us on a 3 hour tour. We went to the large and very small water ways, stopped a couple of times for drinks, gelatos etc. He took us to areas where many of the employes live. At the end he dropped us off at his favorite restaurant that was close to where we were staying. They know where they can go and not go. Talk to a few and you will connect with one and ask what they would recommend and how much ($300). Have fun and enjoy!
This looks doable with kids. I will consider this. Should I talk to the hotel staff about this?
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

pizzy wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:09 pm Get lost. Over and over.
Could not agree more! I have wonderful memories of all the sights and sounds along the way as I tried to find my way out. That was the first time. I didn’t get lost on my second visit there. Wish that I had, though.
Warren

Post by Warren »

Going to Venice with small children presents some challenges because they get tired easily. Vaporettos offer limited transportation options, and most of the traffic is on foot, walking often through narrow passages, through crowds of people and a hundred of elevated bridges -- picturesque but making strollers difficult to use. Thus, I would suggest staying in a hotel close to St. Mark's Square, and for lasting memories of the parents, in an old palazzo, preferably not facing a canal (sometimes they do create an odor). Last September, we stayed at La Residenza, a Renaissance palazzo facing a quiet square, just minutes from San Marco. It felt as staying at Doge's Palace when all the tourists are gone.

Piazza di San Marco is the main attraction of Venice, and the kids will enjoy it; feeding the pigeons should be an attraction itself. Visit the Basilica and buy tickets to go upstairs to the museum and stand at the balcony viewing one of the most cherished squares of Europe, next to the magnificent bronze horses (the originals are inside the museum). Across the Basilica, the Correr Museum, with its diversified objects should be interesting for the adults and the kids. Most of all, everybody will be mesmerized by Doge's Palace, particularly its magnificent interiors (the ceilings!). You can buy online Venice Museum Passes that include entry to 10 museums of Venice and skipping the lines. Certainly, with the small children you will not go to all; however, in addition to Doge's Palace and Correr Museum, it allows entry to Museum of Natural History, with a specific Mediterranean flavor. We visited it the last time, although a vaporetto ride will be needed to reach it. As others indicated, a ride along the Grand Canal (Linea 1) is a memorable attraction; the small boats are usually crowded, so go early in the morning, and find seats on either side, so on your way back, you will see the other side of the canal.

You may also take the vaporetto to the island opposite the lagoon, San Georgio Maggiore; the ride in open waters should be attractive for the kids.
Take a lift to the top of Palladio architecture church, and view Serenissima in her all majesty. You will remember the sight forever...