Thank You Bogleheads!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
JiggsJazzCar

Thank You Bogleheads!

Post by JiggsJazzCar »

At 40 years old I finally have full control of all of my financial accounts.

I moved my Brokerage and an inherited IRA account away from an insurance company with high fees.
I surrendered an annuity and put the money to work in the market.
I canceled the "guided portfolio services" for my and my wife's 403b which had a whopping 19 different funds with high expense ratios.
Finally, I adjusted all my investments to have a much simpler 3 fund portfolio approach.

It is a great feeling knowing I am in control of my own money and I can save on fees wherever possible.
I never would have felt comfortable doing this without the Bogleheads community and I just want to say thank you for being such an awesome and encouraging forum that in an age of toxic forums this seems to be one of the few (mostly) positive places left! :-)
Workinprogress

Re: Thank You Bogleheads!

Post by Workinprogress »

Congratulations on your accomplishments. It is indeed a nice place to hang out, in my opinion.
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

JiggsJazzCar wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:54 pm
Finally, I adjusted all my investments to have a much simpler 3 fund portfolio approach.
Bogleheads:

For those who do not yet know the many benefits of the "simpler 3 fund portfolio" approach, use this link:

viewtopic.php?t=88005

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "The Three-Fund Portfolio will help you to develop a sound asset allocation strategy, make smart investment selections, and guide the implementation of your plan." -- "The odds of outpacing an all-market index fund are, well, terrible." -- "There may be better investment strategies than owning just three broad-based index funds but the number of strategies that are worse is infinite."
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

JiggsJazzCar wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:54 pm At 40 years old I finally have full control of all of my financial accounts.

I moved my Brokerage and an inherited IRA account away from an insurance company with high fees.
I canceled the "guided portfolio services" for my and my wife's 403b which had a whopping 19 different funds with high expense ratios.

It is a great feeling knowing I am in control of my own money and I can save on fees wherever possible.
I never would have felt comfortable doing this without the Bogleheads community and I just want to say thank you for being such an awesome and encouraging forum that in an age of toxic forums this seems to be one of the few (mostly) positive places left! :-)
I’m glad that things are all lined up for you.

You’ve “gotten your financial act together” at a much earlier age than I did.

Congratulations.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
brawlrats

Post by brawlrats »

I have one more candle on the birthday cake than you do, and we are in the same boat...this community has been a big help.

I still have some cleaning up to do in my taxable brokerage account, but that's a work-in-progress and what I have isn't terrible, just too many index funds trying to replicate what VTSAX already does. Slowly reducing those holdings without taking a huge tax hit.

Congrats on taking control and simplifying!
NightTrain

Post by NightTrain »

I went through this same process exactly 10 years ago. I knew nothing. Age 32. My wife and I had, combined, roughly 40k invested for retirement (by accident). Had a kid and freaked out. What is retirement? What are 529s, Roths, 401ks oh my?!?!?

Internet searched. Read 10-15 financial books. Found Bogleheads. Fired my financial planner that had me in whole life and front-loaded active funds. I set a 10 year goal to have a paid off house and 1 million in the bank. We will likely hit that mark this September.

Make a plan and stick with it!

Thank you Bogleheads!
ClaycordJCA

Post by ClaycordJCA »

This topic is now in the Local Chapters and Bogleheads Community forum.
Topic Author
JiggsJazzCar

Post by JiggsJazzCar »

Stinky wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:10 pm
JiggsJazzCar wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:54 pm At 40 years old I finally have full control of all of my financial accounts.

Congratulations.
Well you sir are a big reason why! You gave me to confidence to finally get out of my horrible annuity by answering all my questions over the last couple years! Thank you for sharing your knowledge!
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

JiggsJazzCar wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:47 am
Stinky wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:10 pm

Congratulations.
Well you sir are a big reason why! You gave me to confidence to finally get out of my horrible annuity by answering all my questions over the last couple years! Thank you for sharing your knowledge!
It doesn't get any better than the advice we get here on the forum from Stinky (a retired insurance industry insider). He's our insurance expert and he tells it like it is.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi