Water Heater Replacement Costs

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
OldSport

Water Heater Replacement Costs

Post by OldSport »

Has anyone had a water heater replaced?

Just curious how much it should cost all-in from a licenses reputable company to replace a 40 or 50 gallon hot water heater, including a drip pan and a ~2.5 gal expansion tank.

Just want all-in ballpark to have a sanity check that we aren't getting gouged and ripped off.

Re: Water Heater Replacement Costs

Post by 123 »

Replaced a 50 gallon gas heater in an HCOL area with Home Depot last year. Used their service/contractor. Water heater itself was around $1K (7 year warranty). Installation brought the total up to $2.5K including pan and expansion tank.

I've replaced water heater DIY before with no issues in other houses. Didn't do it this time because spouse was nervous about DIY potential problems.

The service by Home Depot contractor was excellent.

While Home Depot primarily sells Rheem water heaters our old unit was a Bradford White. The contractor ordered a Bradford White and it was installed in 3 days. It was sold, delivered, and installed as a Home Depot service, the brand is just not on the website.

The impression I had was that the installers only did same brand and size swap outs. They did not seem to want to change any infrastructure like move a fixed pipe or move earthquake strap mountings. Due to dimension differences a Rheem would not fit where the Bradford White was placed.

Our old unit was 12 years old and had started to have rust in the water. We flushed it and not long after the flush the tank started to leak. We went with a big box store for installation because we figured warranty service/replacement would be easier with a big box because a local plumber service might be unavailable in 5 - 10 years.
Last edited by 123 on Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
dlrkw9mu

Post by dlrkw9mu »

I had mine replaced in the Kansas City Metro last year by a reputable company run by a master plumber who only does water heaters.
Bradford White 50 gal water heater - RG250T6N - $1105
Expansion Tank - $80
Pressure Regulating Valve Replacement - $150
Discount - ($55)
Total = $1280
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

Mine was replaced last year as well. 40 gallons. LCOL area. Total was $1325. The guy who did it said it would have been $700-800 a few years ago.

This did not include any extras, just the tank. Used a reputable one-man-operation who normally does HVAC, but he also installs water heaters.

The old one had started a very slow leak at the bottom at year 10.
43% Total Stock Market | 53% Consumer Staples | 4% Short Term Reserves
Bflotom2

Post by Bflotom2 »

I replaced my 26 year old 40gal short Bradford-White with a same 40gal short in WNY 3 month ago. No tray & don't use expansion tank. I called in AM done by cocktail time. $1375 by a local hardware store.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

I DIYed.

$700 in material.
12 year tank - $550
Expansion tank $50
10' copper pipe $30
Various Sharkbite connectors/hoses $75
Topic Author
OldSport

Post by OldSport »

Is Bradford White better than Rheem? If so, why?
Topic Author
OldSport

Post by OldSport »

Was being quoted $2850 all-in for a MHCOL area in the attic. However that included tax & $200 required permits.

Since in the attic need/want tray hooked to drain & the expansion tank.

Was trying to see if I'm being ripped off.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

We just paid $2350 all-in for a 50 gal gas Bradford White water heater. Includes pan and electronic water sensor alarm. Basement install with walk-in access. Permit included.

DC suburbs, so relatively HCOL but not NYC or SF.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

OldSport wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:21 pm Is Bradford White better than Rheem? If so, why?
If nothing else they're American made.
BoomerM3

Post by BoomerM3 »

Just did mine. 50 gal. $1200 by licensed plumber in Florida
Topic Author
OldSport

Post by OldSport »

BoomerM3 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:33 pm Just did mine. 50 gal. $1200 by licensed plumber in Florida

Florida is affordable. Probably in the garage too?
Topic Author
OldSport

Post by OldSport »

dukeblue219 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:27 pm
OldSport wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:21 pm Is Bradford White better than Rheem? If so, why?
If nothing else they're American made.
I don't care where it's made. I just care that: It works, it doesn't leak, and that it lasts at least 10 years. And when it fails, it doesn't leak.
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

You can guesstimate this:

Check prices on hot water heaters at your local Big Box store (online).
Add $50 for extra parts <-- this is my made up amount to add when doing these kinds of estimates.

The estimate to replace a water heater is 3 to 4 hours.
Multiply that by $200 an hour for labor per person doing the work. There are usually 2 people doing it. It might be a plumber and a junior plumber (or apprentice or whatever they are called... they are learning the trade.)
If the water heater is in a difficult to get to area of your home it may increase the time needed to replace it.

And finally there's the disposal of the old water heater. Will who ever installed your new one take the old one away - or will it go to the curb for trash day - and will you have to pay to have taken by your waste management service?

And finally add in 10% of the total from above.
Topic Author
OldSport

Post by OldSport »

LittleMaggieMae wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:37 pm You can guesstimate this:

Add $50 for extra parts <-- this is my made up amount to add when doing these kinds of estimates.

Multiply that by $200 an hour for labor per person doing the work. There are usually 2 people doing it. It might be a plumber and a junior plumber (or apprentice or whatever they are called... they are learning the trade.)
If the water heater is in a difficult to get to area of your home it may increase the time needed to replace it.

And finally there's the disposal of the old water heater. Will who ever installed your new one take the old one away - or will it go to the curb for trash day - and will you have to pay to have taken by your waste management service?

I'm getting about $2000 for this method, including the permit, but excluding tax.
michaelingp

Post by michaelingp »

$2,000 HCOL area a few months ago.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

50 gal Rheem installed in 2020 $1,041. Pan already there.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

OldSport wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:41 pm

I'm getting about $2000 for this method, including the permit, but excluding tax.
Now you've got a GUESSTIMATE. Don't assume the Guesstimate is valid or actual. There are some variables - mostly in the hourly rate the installer will use (a handyman or a small business plumber may charge a bit less than a "big company plumber" or a "home repair business"). Now you go and get estimates. On the plus side - you've looked at the prices (and probably the features and maybe the reliability and saw some of the manufacturer names of water heaters while you looked for a "cost") and if your water heater is easy to get to you know it's a job between 3 and 4 hours. So, you have some idea of how to interpret any estimates you do get and you may ask better questions of what you will be paying for. :)

FWIW: I replaced my water heater as a DIY (ok, my relatives did the work) about 5 years ago. The total cost was about $800.00 for parts and take out lunch from a local renowned Hot Dog stand. :) Water Heater replacement is an allowable DIY in my City - no permit/inspection needed and it doesn't have to be a plumber to install it.
wishIknewbackwhen

Post by wishIknewbackwhen »

OldSport wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:41 pm

Pretty much exactly what I paid last week, replacing (and disposing of) a leaking 75 gals with a 50 gals Rheem. After obtaining a quote for $3,500 from a local plumber who insisted it could not be done cheaper, I went with Home Depot (NJ/PA border).
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

Anyone have any experience with tankless? Is it worth the extra cost?
vshun

Post by vshun »

We paid a year ago $2600 to the top rated mom and pop shop in Northern VA for 50 gallons heater. Nothing fancy, no Smart Features (from all appliances, on heater it would have been the most helpful feature to have as you can turn it to low at night and not waste constant heat), only one option was offered of fit into our space.
cbs2002

Post by cbs2002 »

Somewhere between 2-2.5K in 2021 for 50 gal with power vent, basement install, HCOL. Like others, I was told the unit was difficult to source and would have been hundreds of dollars cheaper pre-pandemic.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

climber2020 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:53 pm Anyone have any experience with tankless? Is it worth the extra cost?
While they are more efficient, the payback period is very long.

You might need to use conditioned water.
You might need to update your gas piping. (They run at ~200,000 BTU/hr vs 30,000-40,000. They need the extra oomph since they need to heat water instantaneously.)
Condensing units will need a condensate pump.
You might need to redo the venting/exhaust.

The biggest benefit is essentially unlimited hot water. Secondarily, they take up less space. And they are more efficient. (But your gas bill for just hot water is probably less than your cell phone bill. For example, in my 2 person household, our gas bill was $25-$45/mo, which included both hot water and our range and includes the fixed monthly charge for just having service, and this was with a standing pilot.)

They do require annual cleaning to remove mineral buildup on the heat exchanger. And they don't work without electricity.
brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston »

climber2020 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:53 pm Anyone have any experience with tankless? Is it worth the extra cost?
We just replaced two tandem water heaters with one Rinnai tank-less heater last month. It saved a ton of space in the basement as it's all wall mounted but I did have to add a water softener to the installation. We had three separate companies recommend a water softener or have yearly inspections of the Rinnai as hard water buildup is the death of them.

I won't chance any BH's fainting from sticker shock but the two systems together was a good deal more than $2k. Labor played a part in the price as water and gas pipes had to be moved and I wasn't going to do that myself this time. I did put in the two GFI receptacles but I've always found electric easier than water.

Next up is a ground source heat pump.
70% AVGE | 20% FXNAX | 10% T-Bill/Muni
linuxizer

Post by linuxizer »

Just paid $450 after rebates ($300 2022 tax credit, $350 from local utility) for a 40gal heat pump water heater.

Going to set it up in series with a natural gas water heater we already have, which will act as a buffer. If I didn't have that, I'd have gotten the 80 gallon--the heat pump is the same size but the extra tank massively increases the percentage of time it's running off the heat pump rather than the fast recovery resistance coils.

Our basement currently has a dehumidifer which costs $30/mo. Hoping this also reduces that usage bc it's basically an AC for the basement that pumps the "waste" heat into the water, so it dehumidifies as it goes.
illumination

Post by illumination »

I paid just under $1200 "all in" about a year ago for a 50 gallon Bradford White, gas heater. Legit, licensed and insured plumbing company that has been around for several generations. Also put a brass drain valve and new fittings, hauled away the old unit, etc.

I see some of the quotes out there, and some people are really getting ripped off in certain parts of the country where there's a lot of "bureaucracy" . This is usually very basic work that's not rocket science. The water heater unit itself is around $700-$800, it took one guy about 2-3 hours to install mine. $400-$500 for 3 hours of labor sounds fair to me.
FogCity

Post by FogCity »

I live in a HCOL area in Northern California, and in 2022 I replaced a 50 gallon Bradford White water heater for $2100. The plumber gave me a better price to replace it with a Rheem, so that's what I did. I was shocked by how much the price had increased over the years. In other news, I was fortunate that the original Bradford White water heater had lasted 22 years! :sharebeer
student

Post by student »

Under $1,000 in the MCOL city a few years ago.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

It cost us $4k to replace our water tank with a 57 gal indirect Bradford white water tank for our boiler 3 years ago.
DoubleR

Post by DoubleR »

Holy crap the labor is ridiculous in some of these posts(granted I havent looked at labor or water heater prices in a long time)......replacing a water heater is a simple diy project.
I have swapped out 3 over the years with no problems and I'm by no means a plumber.

I went with a gas tank less water heater this last time and I really like it. No worries of running out of hot water and so far it's been no problems for approx 8yrs now.
I didn't install the tankless heater at my home because I was unsure of myself, after watching the guys install mine I feel like a idiot for not doing it myself.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

As I said on your older thread about the water heater (viewtopic.php?t=395256), I paid a little over $2k in California for a garage-located heater. The complication of attic location will likely add to the charges.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

I consider myself relatively handy around the house but some posters have an awfully high bar for "easy DIY job!" I'll change a faucet and an electrical outlet, install a ceiling fan or repair damaged drywall, but no way am I working on gas and water pipes myself (especially the gas) or proper exhaust venting.
femur

Post by femur »

I have a Rheem electric tankless from Home Depot. It actually is roughly the same cost as a traditional water heater.

I’m very happy with it mostly for how much space it saves!

It draws 116amps when going full-out though.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

dukeblue219 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:22 pm I consider myself relatively handy around the house but some posters have an awfully high bar for "easy DIY job!" I'll change a faucet and an electrical outlet, install a ceiling fan or repair damaged drywall, but no way am I working on gas and water pipes myself (especially the gas) or proper exhaust venting.
This is Bogleheads where everybody not only installs their own water heater, they also design and manufacture it themselves.
enad

Post by enad »

I replaced my own i.e. DIY. I read up on all the latest plumbing codes and installed check valves, 4 ball valves: inlet, outlet, bypass and ahead of the thermal expansion tank to make it easier to service in the future. The water heater was delivered by truck (the driver hauled it up the driveway into the garage) and a neighbor helped me lift it into place atop a stoop with a custom modified water heater drain pain that drains into the same pipe the pressure valve uses. All the connections are copper sweated except for the two that screw into the inlet/outlet and use a flexible copper pipe. I opted for a Corro-Protec Titanium Powered Anode in-lieu of the Magnesium rod which should last a good 25 to 30 years. Most of the pipe and fittings came from the local Home Depot. I did the install in April 2017 and the 6-year warranty is just about up on the A.O. Smith 50 gallon, but with the powered anode I expect it to last much longer. It's a gas unit. Also installed a recirculating valve that turns on/off during the day to make sure there is hot water at every faucet when you want it, so it saves money not having to opening the faucet to let the water run till it turns hot. If you can handle hooking up a propane tank to a barbecue grill, making the gas connections with the yellow Teflon tape is about the same level of difficulty, but many would easily do the grill but not the water heater. You have to be comfortable doing this kind of stuff, otherwise hire a pro. A long time ago, high school's actually had SHOP classed and I took one in electrical wiring, drafting, automotive, metal work, and sweating copper. Working at Mills in the summer while going to college I learned how to use a blow torch and weld. Lots of people miss out on this kind of stuff
What Goes Up Must come down -- David Clayton-Thomas (1968), BST
enad

Post by enad »

Anyone of these units or others can have a lemon, it just depends. Look for a powered anode to make the unit last a long time, if you have hard water.
linuxizer

Post by linuxizer »

enad wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:50 am
Anyone of these units or others can have a lemon, it just depends. Look for a powered anode to make the unit last a long time, if you have hard water.
My Bradford and White has an annoying integrated anode (eg the inlet pipe is also the anode) that makes it really hard to change out. Never again.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

We paid $1850 about 2yrs ago for a 40-gallon water heater replacement. We have a good friend who has done it a handful of times who was willing to do ours (including picking up new one and taking old one to the dump) for a nice meal and help with some work in his yard, but my wife wasn't willing to wait 2-days until he could make it. When she found out that the actual water heater was ~$500 (so $1350 in labor and other fees) down the street at Home Depot, she regretted her decision.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

MCOL, last summer, 40 gallon State Water Heater, done by gas utility: $1800.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

tibbitts wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:29 pm
dukeblue219 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:22 pm I consider myself relatively handy around the house but some posters have an awfully high bar for "easy DIY job!" I'll change a faucet and an electrical outlet, install a ceiling fan or repair damaged drywall, but no way am I working on gas and water pipes myself (especially the gas) or proper exhaust venting.
This is Bogleheads where everybody not only installs their own water heater, they also design and manufacture it themselves.
That's part of the beauty of electric water heaters and flexible copper tubing. Just about anyone can remove and install a new one. They don't work well during electricity outages but they don't harm the planet in the meantime.
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
swimmingforever

Post by swimmingforever »

replacing the plastic drain valve with a good brass valve really helps down the road
flyingcows

Post by flyingcows »

Is it really that expensive to replace a tank water heater? Why not get a tankless if your spending 3-4k?

We had an old tank water heater in our house that I replaced with the highest flow rate Rinnai tankless about 8 years ago, which at the time was $1,800 + $1,000 to install, and that install cost included running new copper water lines for it's relocation and the intake/exhaust vent

It only saves us around $20 a month in natural gas costs, but it adds up overtime, the biggest benefit to us with the tankless is the infinite hot water, we seemed to run out with the tank on a regular basis. Also I like that it is sealed combustion as it's located in our finished basement, and supposedly it will last longer (we will see)
This content is for entertainment purposes only
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

I wonder if there is a significant difference to buy and install electric versus natural gas. With some of the price quotes above not sure whether they are for gas or electric. Seems like most are for gas, but not sure.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

flyingcows wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:29 am Is it really that expensive to replace a tank water heater? Why not get a tankless if your spending 3-4k?

We had an old tank water heater in our house that I replaced with the highest flow rate Rinnai tankless about 8 years ago, which at the time was $1,800 + $1,000 to install, and that install cost included running new copper water lines for it's relocation and the intake/exhaust vent

It only saves us around $20 a month in natural gas costs, but it adds up overtime, the biggest benefit to us with the tankless is the infinite hot water, we seemed to run out with the tank on a regular basis. Also I like that it is sealed combustion as it's located in our finished basement, and supposedly it will last longer (we will see)
Maybe you are spending $4k, but maybe not. Replacing mine with tankless would require:
- Gas pipe work for higher flow
- Possible relocation of unit requiring reworking of main cold and hot feeds
- If not relocated, long run of low-hanging (low ceiling) vent pipe

The quotes I got suggested an outside hanging unit (OK here in the South) that directly vents. Major piping work. They were also willing to run the vent through the low space, but I walk through there all the time and I didn't want a pipe above me at 7' that I'd walk under.

Estimates were over $5.5k. Replacement in kind was simple and non-disruptive. I'm older and won't be here forever either. Let the next guy do it when they probably tear out everything because I haven't done much remodeling either.
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

linuxizer wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:22 am
My Bradford and White has an annoying integrated anode (eg the inlet pipe is also the anode) that makes it really hard to change out. Never again.
There are still ones made that don't use an anode but instead a tank liner.

Had an old Vaughn electric water heater replaced at the cabin last summer...it used a cement liner (200+ lbs empty)...the plumbers were not happy.

IIRC, newer ones made by that brand now use a plastic liner.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

snackdog wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:21 am
tibbitts wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:29 pm
That's part of the beauty of electric water heaters and flexible copper tubing. Just about anyone can remove and install a new one. They don't work well during electricity outages but they don't harm the planet in the meantime.
I wouldn't be concerned about power outages since the last thing you'd worry about during a power outage is hot water. I agree that electric would be marginally easier and safer to install, but you're still vastly overstating the capabilities of "most people", especially when working by themselves.
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

I replaced my water tank in December. 50gal water heater was $1030. Total cost came to about $1,800 (labor was mixed in with installing a new toilet). They had to move a few gas lines as well to get it in. Bargain as far as I was concerned, took about a month and a half to get it scheduled because all the plumbers in town are busy. It was a preemptive replacement because my old water heater was 16-17 years old and I really hate to wake up to cold showers.
enad

Post by enad »

linuxizer wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:22 am
Manufactures will sometimes do the dumbest thing in order to shave a few bucks and then not think about the repercussions of what they did, or how their actions jeopardizes their name. All it takes is for one idea like that to kill years of a hard earned reputation.
bluegill

Post by bluegill »

OldSport wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:23 pm Was being quoted $2850 all-in for a MHCOL area in the attic. However that included tax & $200 required permits.

Since in the attic need/want tray hooked to drain & the expansion tank.

Was trying to see if I'm being ripped off.
the "tray hooked to drain" is a extra item most people don't have.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

MrBobcat wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:33 am I replaced my water tank in December. 50gal water heater was $1030. Total cost came to about $1,800 (labor was mixed in with installing a new toilet). They had to move a few gas lines as well to get it in. Bargain as far as I was concerned, took about a month and a half to get it scheduled because all the plumbers in town are busy. It was a preemptive replacement because my old water heater was 16-17 years old and I really hate to wake up to cold showers.
My gas installation last year cost about the same - well actually I just looked and it was about $2k. I found plumbers were all too busy or otherwise not interested so I used a company that just did water heater installation and nothing else. As seems to be usual here there had been code changes since my previous installation and the ducting and drain plumbing had to be modified to pass inspection.