Fly or Drive from NJ to NC?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Doctor Rhythm

Re: Fly or Drive from NJ to NC?

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

I would fly.

Also, I’ve never needed to learn how to operate the cruise control on a rental car. If avoiding the gas pedal is that important, then I’ll double down on my recommendation to fly.
Dick D

Post by Dick D »

We frequently drive from NYC to Cary NC, and the drive is 8 hours with stops every 2 hours for 70 plus year olds. Having flow well over a million miles, I try to avoid airports. Make sure you have an E pass.
Topic Author
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

Dick D wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:38 pm
We frequently drive from NYC to Cary NC, and the drive is 8 hours with stops every 2 hours for 70 plus year olds. Having flow well over a million miles, I try to avoid airports. Make sure you have an E pass.
Google maps showing that it would be 8:45 trip (if I start driving now at 11:42 pm with minimal traffic and with no stops) . Obviously you must be speeding “a little bit” :D
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
eric321

Post by eric321 »

Vote for flying.
Driving will exhaust you and you need to work at your destination.

Cut down your downtime. It shouldn't take 8 hours if you fly.
Get TSA precheck if you don't have it.
Get a membership card to the rental car company so you skip the desk, walk to the car and drive out.
Pack efficiently to avoid checking a bag.
shunkman

Post by shunkman »

For work, I traveled often between PA and Greensboro NC. My employer allowed me to fly at their cost or drive a company car. Mostly I chose to drive due to the hassles and delays of flying. And a few times I took my bicycle along for afterwork recreation.
jpelder

Post by jpelder »

I would fly or take Amtrak. Looks like a good departure and arrival time each day (7:30ish AM-6ish PM if you're going Newark to Raleigh). Business class is about $300 round trip. The station in Raleigh is right in a nice area of downtown, too.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

jpelder wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:12 am I would fly or take Amtrak. Looks like a good departure and arrival time each day (7:30ish AM-6ish PM if you're going Newark to Raleigh). Business class is about $300 round trip. The station in Raleigh is right in a nice area of downtown, too.
Amtrak business class (ignore the masks, no longer required): Image

A very pleasant way to travel.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:42 pm I would drive. Flying is a mess.
I would drive ... a rental car. I would assume that the cost for a rental car plus gas would be less than the mileage equivalent that the company would reimburse OP for. Unless (and I didn't read the OP's original post fully) he/she is supposed to stay there for a week or so, in which case the rental costs would keep ticking, but the mileage would not (as much).
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

galawdawg wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:48 am
jpelder wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:12 am I would fly or take Amtrak. Looks like a good departure and arrival time each day (7:30ish AM-6ish PM if you're going Newark to Raleigh). Business class is about $300 round trip. The station in Raleigh is right in a nice area of downtown, too.

Absolutely, if going for pleasure. But in this case, I would assume that OP would still need a rental car at destination which would be more time spent again. Plus connectivity to rental car agency access from most Amtrak locations is absolutely poor compared to airports. Would be an extra level of pain and time.

PS: I am a train fan ... but it is what it is, in the USA! :oops:
hand

Post by hand »

Metsfan91 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:37 pm
BogleMelon wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:35 pm Travelling for business next in March (NJ to NC).

Should I then just try driving this time? Anything I could be missing?
Drive. You control your trip! Enjoy the road trip. Along the way see America the beautiful, I mean small town America!
Ahh yes, the romance of small town America and the open road: towns like Newark, Camden, Philadelphia, Wilmington, Baltimore, Washington DC, Fredericksburg and Richmond.

I'm certain the locals will be welcoming!

Keep in mind that speed limits are an upper bound, be sure to take your time on I-95 to enjoy the scenery (especially during rush hour) and revel in just how many of the locals take the time to give you a shout, a friendly shake of the fist or remind you that throughout this great land anyone with NJ plates really is "number one" with them.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

an_asker wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:01 am

Absolutely, if going for pleasure. But in this case, I would assume that OP would still need a rental car at destination which would be more time spent again. Plus connectivity to rental car agency access from most Amtrak locations is absolutely poor compared to airports. Would be an extra level of pain and time.

If Uber or Lyft (or GoRaleigh) won't meet OP's transportation needs while in the Raleigh area, he could simply take an Uber/Lyft or GoRaleigh to a nearby rental car location. Enterprise and Avis are only about half a mile away, Hertz is two miles away. Raleigh has a pretty robust transit system, GoRaleigh. And until June 2023, all GoRaleigh routes are Fare Free. (And I think Enterprise will still pick you up!)

Since this is a business trip, OP would have the ability to work (free WiFi included on the Carolinian) and use his phone (if desired) throughout the day while on Amtrak. If he flies, he could get some work done on the flight but his opportunities to use his phone while getting work done will be limited. If he drives, he could use his phone but he won't be able to get work done on a computer, review reports or anything else that distracts him from driving.

And if OP needs a nap or to stretch his legs or wants to enjoy a cold beer with his lunch...no problem on Amtrak!
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

hand wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:07 am
BogleMelon wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:35 pm Travelling for business next in March (NJ to NC).

Drive. You control your trip! Enjoy the road trip. Along the way see America the beautiful, I mean small town America!
Ahh yes, the romance of small town America and the open road: towns like Newark, Camden, Philadelphia, Wilmington, Baltimore, Washington DC, Fredericksburg and Richmond.

Keep in mind that speed limits are an upper bound, be sure to take your time on I-95 to enjoy the scenery (especially during rush hour) and revel in just how many of the locals take the time to give you a shout, a friendly shake of the fist or remind you that throughout this great land anyone with NJ plates really is "number one" with them.
Ahhhh. I still remember traveling as a child on the NJ Turnpike on summer vacation and enjoying the fragrant local scents of the season near exit 13. And since Dad was too cheap to buy any car with air conditioning, it encouraged us to keep all of the windows down to savor that unique bouquet. I'll never forget those particular aromas. :|
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

My wife and I have been taking the Acela train between Boston and NYC lately. Much better than driving; impervious to traffic. We always book the "Quiet Car" in business class: no annoying cell phone conversations.

We personally wear masks on the train; roughly half the passengers do.

The cafe car has pretty good food everything considered, better than airplane food.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
SpaghettiLegs

Post by SpaghettiLegs »

Driving the I-95 corridor is pretty near the bottom of the list of things I willingly do. I like train travel.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

Makefile wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:57 pm Would it be your first time on the Capital Beltway?
Going near Capitol Beltway for that route would be a rookie mistake. Not because the beltway is special (and much of it can be bypassed via DC 295/I 295), but because 95 south of Springfield can be intolerable especially near the Rappahanock River and construction continues in the area.
For that route I’d use US 301 (crossing Potomac River via the new Nice Bridge) or possibly I 81 for a while.
I would rent a car, or maybe take Amtrak #79 for fun.
Last edited by criticalmass on Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
elcadarj

Post by elcadarj »

rob wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:28 pm I would drive (I love driving)... but would rent a car for work and not put miles on my own for work (plus it's more complex if you have an accident).
+1

If you are going to drive, keep the risk of business travel on the business: rent a car through your business.
knowledge

Post by knowledge »

Do you need a car down in NC? If you do not, I'd recommend flying and using Lyft/Uber everywhere. An 8+ hour drive sounds terrible to me, but clearly based on this thread some people enjoy driving more than me.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

When I worked, I tried to avoid putting miles on my car for business trips. If you are determined to drive, rent a car and avoid the miles on your car. They add up and increase your maintenance cost. You will likely be on I95 most of the way with some of the heaviest traffic in the US. Not my idea of a relaxing drive.
caffeperfavore

Post by caffeperfavore »

Fly.

Driving between NJ and Richmond is awful and it could easily take more than eight hours. I know from experience.
caffeperfavore

Post by caffeperfavore »

The problem is that south of Richmond, the rail lines are owned by CSX. That means that every time a freight train comes through the Amtrak has to stop and wait for it to go by. Because of this, it once took me 9 hours to go from DC to Raleigh. You never know exactly when the train will arrive. I hate flying and it's still the best option between Raleigh and DC, let alone to NJ.
Last edited by caffeperfavore on Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tarheel91

Post by tarheel91 »

I say drive :)
But, its just me.
22twain

Post by 22twain »

I consider 450 miles to be a long haul for one day. Can you take a day and a half, or even two days, with an overnight stop somewhere? That would make it less tiring, and give you more time for a sightseeing stop along the way. Or you could take a less direct route than I-95 and I-85, that bypasses the DC area.

We live a couple of hours past Charlotte. When we drive up to the Northeast, we always figure on two days to get to the NYC or Albany areas. Someone has already mentioned the route via Annapolis using the Bay Bridge and US-301. Other possibilities are:

-- Down through the Delmarva peninsula and across the bridge-tunnel to Norfolk, then over to I-95 to I-85.

-- I-78 to Harrisburg, then US-15 south, passing just west of the DC area, to US-29 through Virginia into NC. At Greensboro you pick up I-85 to Charlotte. US-29 is four lanes, divided, almost as good as an Interstate. We've stopped overnight in Charlottesville or Lynchburg.

(Oops, for some reason I thought you were going to Charlotte, not Raleigh. Scratch the second suggestion.)
Last edited by 22twain on Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meet my pet, Peeve, who loves to convert non-acronyms into acronyms: FED, ROTH, CASH, IVY, ...
GT99

Post by GT99 »

galawdawg wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:06 pm You may want to consider Amtrak. Takes as long as driving but none of the traffic congestion or airport hassles. It isn't the quickest way to travel but one of the most relaxing.
Amtrak generally takes a fair amount longer than driving in my experience, not including driving to and departing the station. Just checked Newark to Durham (close to 450 miles) and it's over 10 hours via Amtrak. 8 hours for 450 miles in the car is either a lot of stopping or pretty slow driving. 7 hours is pretty easy for that distance.
hudson

Post by hudson »

Fly or Drive? FLY!

I just rode to Maryland and back...up the backroads and down I95/I85 through Raleigh.. My younger brother drove. I decided that I've aged out of driving long road trips. I vote fly. Why? I'd rather let someone else to the work even if I have to do the airport shuffle.

The train sounds attractive. It's been over 20 years since I've ridden the Carolinian; it was good then.
DoubleR

Post by DoubleR »

I have driven from NC to Atlantic City, NJ numerous times and that stretch from about Fredericksburg VA to NJ can be horrible.
That D.C. traffic is a pain and the only time I haven't had trouble is when I leave here about 11pm and go thru there around 2a.m.
Between the traffic and then the tolls I would take a train or fly.
Hebell

Post by Hebell »

galawdawg wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:06 pm You may want to consider Amtrak. Takes as long as driving but none of the traffic congestion or airport hassles. It isn't the quickest way to travel but one of the most relaxing.
I would definitely do this if you're North Carolina destination is on the east side of the state. You couldn't pay me to make that drive anymore. I've ridden Amtrak quite a number of times recently. I now use it to go from South Florida to friends and family in GA and SC.
Gd_Enf_56

Post by Gd_Enf_56 »

If you're gonna fly, take the first flights out. This will save you time - nowhere near the 8 hours the OP is estimating for airflight time - and arrive fairly refreshed.

If you decide to drive the I-95 corridor, best to leave NJ 11PM to midnight to avoid the DE-MD-DC rush hour traffic on the way to NC. On the way back, suggest you take the I-95 North exit for Ft AP Hill (to 301) to VA/MD.
Metsfan91

Post by Metsfan91 »

Stated like someone with firsthand experience. Thanks for sharing :happy
"Know what you own, and know why you own it." — Peter Lynch
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

galawdawg wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:20 am
an_asker wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:01 am

If Uber or Lyft (or GoRaleigh) won't meet OP's transportation needs while in the Raleigh area, he could simply take an Uber/Lyft or GoRaleigh to a nearby rental car location. Enterprise and Avis are only about half a mile away, Hertz is two miles away. Raleigh has a pretty robust transit system, GoRaleigh. And until June 2023, all GoRaleigh routes are Fare Free. (And I think Enterprise will still pick you up!)

Since this is a business trip, OP would have the ability to work (free WiFi included on the Carolinian) and use his phone (if desired) throughout the day while on Amtrak. If he flies, he could get some work done on the flight but his opportunities to use his phone while getting work done will be limited. If he drives, he could use his phone but he won't be able to get work done on a computer, review reports or anything else that distracts him from driving.

And if OP needs a nap or to stretch his legs or wants to enjoy a cold beer with his lunch...no problem on Amtrak!
I took amtrak from nyc to SC once and it was a pleasant and scenic route especially the southern portions. I vote for that.

But I also drove down once and that was semi-fun too! Good roads south of the Mason Dixon.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:11 pm
BolderBoy wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:18 pm
BogleMelon wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:35 pm Should I then just try driving this time? Anything I could be missing?
Flying sucks. I-95 sucks.

Take the train.
+1

If Amtrak goes there, go Amtrak.
Just be prepared for random 1-2 day delays...

I would drive and take the family. Make a holiday out of it.
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
wander

Post by wander »

I would drive. If you can avoid 95-South, you are lucky.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

That's really funny.

I'm amused by those suggesting that you could do this drive in 8 hours; that's not been my experience though I'm sure you can do this drive doing 85-100 miles per hour consistently on I-95 and 1-85, during early vampire hours of say 11pm to 5am, unless you run into midnight road construction on the Springfield VA mixing bowl on I-95 or near Petersburg VA on 1-85. If you attempt the drive during ordinary hours, it could be tricky to avoid the horrid traffic around the DC metro area (including MD) to Fredericksburg VA. If you get off in F'burg (and try to take alternate Route 1 to rt 301 to get into NC) because you heard on WTOP-FM (traffic every hour on the 8's) that there's a 90 minute delay on I-95 to Richmond because of some crash in Ashland, I'd recommend stopping at of the best ice cream places for locals there: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl%27s_Ice_Cream. Carls, if it's open when you're travelling, has exceptional custard ice cream.
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

criticalmass wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:34 am
Makefile wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:57 pm Would it be your first time on the Capital Beltway?
Going near Capitol Beltway for that route would be a rookie mistake. Not because the beltway is special (and much of it can be bypassed via DC 295/I 295), but because 95 south of Springfield can be intolerable especially near the Rappahanock River and construction continues in the area.
For that route I’d use US 301 (crossing Potomac River via the new Nice Bridge) or possibly I 81 for a while.
I would rent a car, or maybe take Amtrak #79 for fun.
I would and do drive this route (visiting family in Raleigh area from northern NJ) without any thought of flying. Other relatives here in NY area fly when they go, it's obviously partly how you feel about driving (we drove out to eastern Washington state and back in 2021, that's a long car trip for us, I like driving). The business aspect could change that perhaps*. But yeah if you drive play with Google maps on the route and keep in mind extra 1hr+ on non-95 alternatives could come out being faster in reality. We sometimes take I-78/81 then eventually directly south on some smaller highway in VA/NC and avoid 95 altogether. A compromise is 78/81 then smaller roads to hit 95 south of DC. The problem with 95 for that route isn't that it's that likely to be terrible either NY>DC or DC>NC if you time it right, but harder to time it right the whole way. I drive NY to just north of DC fairly often also and taking 95 after morning rush (and typically back after evening rush) is usually fine, fun country winding road of course not, but often no serious traffic problem.

*plus of 'profit' on mileage comp v just getting paid for costs on flying, but maybe if plane/train makes you less tired, to be at your best for business?
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

caffeperfavore wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:19 am Fly.

Driving between NJ and Richmond is awful and it could easily take more than eight hours. I know from experience.
100%. It's a god awful drive. I-95 is miserable, and if you hit a traffic snarl, you could spend three hours just between DC and Richmond. It's an easy nonstop flight with just an hour in the air. When my buddy in RDU comes to to visit D.C. he flys -- and that's roughly half way of what you're talking about. 300 miles is the max I'd consider driving vs. a nonstop flight. I fly regularly for business, and for the most part it's been easy and low hassle. The nightmare scenairos like the holiday snowstorm and related Southwest melt down make good news feed but are are rare exceptions to a pretty good system.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

Outer Marker wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:58 am
caffeperfavore wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:19 am Fly.

100%. It's a god awful drive. I-95 is miserable, and if you hit a traffic snarl, you could spend three hours just between DC and Richmond. It's an easy nonstop flight with just an hour in the air. When my buddy in RDU comes to to visit D.C. he flys -- and that's roughly half way of what you're talking about. 300 miles is the max I'd consider driving vs. a nonstop flight. I fly regularly for business, and for the most part it's been easy and low hassle. The nightmare scenairos like the holiday snowstorm and related Southwest melt down make good news feed but are are rare exceptions to a pretty good system.
Why would anyone take I-95 the while way from N Jersey to Richmond instead of US 301 for much of that route?

For businesses, time savings come into play as well.
mrc

Post by mrc »

If you can't avoid the DC-Baltimore area rush hours (morning or evening), fly. What google says is 8 hours could be 10 or 12 if the weather is bad and traffic is backed up.
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

galawdawg wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:42 pm Driving from Newark to Raleigh, the only section where OP won't be in heavy traffic is between Richmond and Raleigh. While traveling on I-81 can avoid that, for OP's route that will add over two hundred (200) miles and two (2) or more hours each way, even considering traffic delays.
One issue with 81 is the truck traffic
95 is probably my least favorite road in the world (worst one for me is 287 in NJ)
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

United lists 6 n/s flights a day to RDU from EWR in March
Wouldn't drive - last time I did it to visit family in Southern Pines, we went south on 95 and return on 81, both miserable drives.
The RDU airport is excellent - not crowded at all and very convenient to the RDU triangle area. Greensboro is about an hour drive from RDU but has 3 direct a day but only one of those in the AM
Agent 99

Post by Agent 99 »

GG1273 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:51 am
galawdawg wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:42 pm Driving from Newark to Raleigh, the only section where OP won't be in heavy traffic is between Richmond and Raleigh. While traveling on I-81 can avoid that, for OP's route that will add over two hundred (200) miles and two (2) or more hours each way, even considering traffic delays.
One issue with 81 is the truck traffic
95 is probably my least favorite road in the world (worst one for me is 287 in NJ)
Totally agree about trucks on 81. Always loved 287 when it snowed!