Talk me out of getting on the Rolex AD waiting list

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
KRP

Re: Talk me out of getting on the Rolex AD waiting list

Post by KRP »

The OP should run this 3 year experiment, keep track of all costs, and report back on the final CAGR. It would be educational for all.

Wrist clocks are a commodity, so those who need the time have plenty of cost effective choices.

Jewelry lovers don't need a reason.

Investors have better options.
Last edited by KRP on Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

afan wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:57 am Apparently, Rolex cannot legally protect the appearance. If someone makes an exact copy but puts something other than ROLEX on the face, then you will have all the "beauty" at a tiny fraction of the cost.
Yeah no, this is not how design patents and IP work
cubs1999

Post by cubs1999 »

KRP wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:58 am The OP should run this 3 year experiment, keep track of all costs, and report back on the final CAGR. It would be educational for all.

Wrist clocks are a commodity, so those who need the time have plenty of cost effective choices.

He needed to have bought in early 2018 and then sold it early 2021 at the peak and he might have tripled or quadrupled his money.
KRP

Post by KRP »

cubs1999 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:50 pm
KRP wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:58 am The OP should run this 3 year experiment, keep track of all costs, and report back on the final CAGR. It would be educational for all.

He needed to have bought in early 2018 and then sold it early 2021 at the peak and he might have tripled or quadrupled his money.
You are pointing out the classic problem, which is not only picking the right time to buy, but also picking the right time to sell.
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

hunoraut wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:02 pm
afan wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:57 am Apparently, Rolex cannot legally protect the appearance. If someone makes an exact copy but puts something other than ROLEX on the face, then you will have all the "beauty" at a tiny fraction of the cost.
After reading this thread I now want a "Relax Oysters Plentiful."

You don't think that would be protected as parody?
simplextableau

Post by simplextableau »

ncbill wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:35 am
hunoraut wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:02 pm
After reading this thread I now want a "Relax Oysters Plentiful."

You don't think that would be protected as parody?
I'd make some tweaks to the design of the parody so that it didn't look like I was actually wearing a Rolex, but that would be hilarious. I'd consider buying one (at the right price).
chillwill120

Post by chillwill120 »

meowcat wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:26 pm
chillwill120 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:54 am
simplextableau wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:52 pm
afan wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:36 pm
hunoraut wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:19 pm

If you think the wearer is wearing it to make an impression on you.
The wearer's motivation does not matter. If the fake and real are indistinguishable, then they will be equally "beautiful". To the wearer and to anyone else who sees the watch.
I don't find forgeries beautiful, and I don't own a Rolex. It's the worst kind of deception and fraud. Buy a Rolex, hate Rolexes, I don't care. But fakes are deceitful and a form of theft. There's no way I could in good conscience own one, even if no one else ever noticed I was ever wearing watch.

(And the fakes are obviously sold to people wanting to misrepresent them as Rolexes because otherwise they wouldn't be branded as Rolex, and there are lots of other gorgeous watches out there from unknown brands).
I agree. Counterfeits are also illegal so they should not be encouraged as a valid alternative to the real deal.
It's the seller that's breaking the law, not the buyer. Buying and owning/wearing a fake Rolex is not illegal.
I realize that but it would be condoning illegal activity and frankly I’m surprised that supporting illegal manufacturing is being openly encouraged by some posters.
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

I suppose at one time they were status jewelry. Guess that's why thieves would follow you home if had one. Now there are countless cheap copies that no one can tell the difference...no more status.
hahabye

Post by hahabye »

I have a stainless steel Rolex Daytona that I bought preowned in 2011 for $9,500. Today I could easily sell it to a reputable dealer for $22,000 as the retail price for a preowned Daytona is approximately $25-$27,000. I did not buy the watch as an investment but it has appreciated nicely. I did spend $1,000 having it serviced back in 2020.

Today I picked up a stainless steel Submariner date from the local AD for just under $11,000 out the door. They are selling for $15,000 on the grey market, because supply/demand issues. Almost all stainless steel Rolex models sell for more on the secondary market because the waiting lists at the AD's are quite long. I waited 7 months for the Sub, and am currently on the list for a new SS Daytona and the wait for one of them is 3-4 years. I am in no rush.

I have worn a Rolex for over 25 years and have never sold one for less than I paid. There are very few things that you can buy, wear daily and enjoy for years, and get your money back or even make money on when you decide to sell. That being said, I would not buy a Rolex in hopes of flipping it and making a profit but if you plan to wear it and enjoy it by all means go for it.

Before the haters chime in my house is paid for, I have no debt, and DW and I are both maxing out our 401k's. Yes VTI is a better long term investment but life is short, if you want a Rolex buy one! :D :D

:sharebeer
jay99

Post by jay99 »

Hmm, so Authorized Dealers keep a waiting list? Submariner date from the local AD for just under $11,000 out the door only 7 month wait.
I am getting on line. Waited for Porsche 911 for 12 months. Agree if you hit your numbers and have no debt why not.

Thank you!
grussgott

Post by grussgott »

jay99 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:43 pm Hmm, so Authorized Dealers keep a waiting list? Submariner date from the local AD for just under $11,000 out the door only 7 month wait.
Let us know if you ever get one, 7 months or otherwise!

Generally the "waiting list" is a polite fiction and/or a upsell tactic: "hi, we see you're on the no-date sub waiting list; we have a Cellini available now that might move you up the list ... and your wife/girlfriend would LOVE our new spring baguette tennis bracelet with matching earrings!"