Suggestion for a cheap but decent headpones

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
gavinsiu

Suggestion for a cheap but decent headpones

Post by gavinsiu »

My son has requested a pair of good headphones that are wired. He recently gotten into records recently and is listening to Beetles, Fran Fernando, Gorillaz, Arctic Monkeys, Blue Oyster Cult, and Led Zeppelins. He apparently the closed version of the headphones to isolate noise. Note that the kids appear to be more musically inclined that I am, so I probably want to get something good, but not overly expensive.The headphone should have lower impedance since I don't want to get a separate amp if he wants to plug it into his chromebook.

I poked around and was thinking of getting the non-blue tooth version of AKG K361. At around $100, they are expensive for a grade school kid, but he seems very careful about his records. At 32 Ohm, the phone should have pretty decent device compatibility. Do you have experience with the sound quality, reliability, and durability? Do you suggest any alternative?
TheHiker

Re: Suggestion for a cheap but decent headpones

Post by TheHiker »

Love my Sony MDR7506. These are cheap professional headphones which Sony has been making since 1980s.
Worked with any device I ever plugged them into. Not particularly pretty, but work well.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

TheHiker wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:22 pm Love my Sony MDR7506. These are cheap professional headphones which Sony has been making since 1980s.
Worked with any device I ever plugged them into. Not particularly pretty, but work well.
The MDR-V6 (a very close sibling to the 7506) was my first "hi-fi" pair of headphones almost 30 years ago. I think the 7506 ought to do quite nicely for a young person getting into music. Just make sure he's not listening at volumes that will damage his hearing!
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

TheHiker wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:22 pm Love my Sony MDR7506. These are cheap professional headphones which Sony has been making since 1980s.
+1,000. This is a professional headphone.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
jpsfranks

Post by jpsfranks »

02nz wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:30 pm
The MDR-V6 (a very close sibling to the 7506) was my first "hi-fi" pair of headphones almost 30 years ago. I think the 7506 ought to do quite nicely for a young person getting into music. Just make sure he's not listening at volumes that will damage his hearing!
I use daily a pair of MDR-V6s that I bought ~25 years ago when I was in high school (in fact I'm using them now as I type this).
greenflamingo

Post by greenflamingo »

I have a pair of Samson sr850s ($35) that are nice at a lower price point. accurate sound and handle everything from recordings to use with guitar pedal board (Strymon Iridium).
Topic Author
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

Thanks. I think I will go with the MDR7506. At $85, they are pretty cheap and looks way more durable than the k361. The retro look maybe good for a kid who like retro style.

V6 is around $500 so no. I considered Samson but it’s open ear.
TheHiker

Post by TheHiker »

gavinsiu wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:15 pm V6 is around $500 so no. I considered Samson but it’s open ear.
V6 is a (very similar) original model which, I think, was discontinued a couple of years ago.
greenflamingo

Post by greenflamingo »

gavinsiu wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:15 pm Thanks. I think I will go with the MDR7506. At $85, they are pretty cheap and looks way more durable than the k361. The retro look maybe good for a kid who like retro style.

V6 is around $500 so no. I considered Samson but it’s open ear.
Yes! Glad you noticed as you looked at the Samsons. Great for some applications with a more open natural feel but not for use in a library or on the bus. 😀
Topic Author
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

greenflamingo wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:21 pm Yes! Glad you noticed as you looked at the Samsons. Great for some applications with a more open natural feel but not for use in a library or on the bus. 😀
Good point about noise leak. I thought perhaps he wanted noise isolation to block out noise but maybe he also wanted to play music without people complaining.

I actually prefer open ear headphones. I used to own a pair of Grados.
Last edited by gavinsiu on Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

The aforementioned Sony, and Audio Technica ATH M50 (and its variants), are the tried and true go-to entry level closedback headphones.

For openback it is Grados.

Sennheiser have good models in both categories.

Over last 2 decades theres been literally 100s of new headphone companies bringing out 1000s of audiophile-centric models. But the above are sureshot products, from which your son can start his own journey of discovery. Ive used all those above and theyre all great.
MH2

Post by MH2 »

gavinsiu wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:10 pm My son has requested a pair of good headphones that are wired. He recently gotten into records recently and is listening to Beetles, Fran Fernando, Gorillaz, Arctic Monkeys, Blue Oyster Cult, and Led Zeppelins. He apparently the closed version of the headphones to isolate noise. Note that the kids appear to be more musically inclined that I am, so I probably want to get something good, but not overly expensive.The headphone should have lower impedance since I don't want to get a separate amp if he wants to plug it into his chromebook.
In-ear monitors are going to give you much, much better performance than closed-back headphones at this price point.

Head over to head-fi.org or www.reddit.com/r/HeadphoneAdvice/ and start reading through their recommendations.

You can get a pair of Shuoer S12s with planar drivers for about $100. The Truthear Hexas for $80 with 1x dynamic driver and 3x balanced armatures are another great option.

While I haven't heard the Sony MDR7506's myself, I do own a pair of AKG Q701s and AKG K551s. The Shuoer and Truthears absolutely trounce them despite costing half to a quarter as much.
Topic Author
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

MH2 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:52 am In-ear monitors are going to give you much, much better performance than closed-back headphones at this price point.

Head over to head-fi.org or www.reddit.com/r/HeadphoneAdvice/ and start reading through their recommendations.

You can get a pair of Shuoer S12s with planar drivers for about $100. The Truthear Hexas for $80 with 1x dynamic driver and 3x balanced armatures are another great option.

While I haven't heard the Sony MDR7506's myself, I do own a pair of AKG Q701s and AKG K551s. The Shuoer and Truthears absolutely trounce them despite costing half to a quarter as much.
Thanks! I have had problems with in the ear headphone and kids. I think their ears are too small for the headphone to fit. They keep falling out despite my attempt to change the tips. Frankly, most don't fit my ear either.

Further research on the MDR7506.
* They are pretty good for the price.
* The cable is attached to the headphone, which isn't great since the cable could get damaged and you won't be able to replace it without some difficulty. IT uses a coiled cable.
* One issue is the headphone cable for each ear is expose and can get damaged.
* The headphones are not super durable. However, it appears that you can get parts for them.
* Their lower impendance mean you can run them on regular devices. They are rated at 63 Ohms.
* One of the reviewer is a pro who has several indicated that the older ones often develop an issue where the bass starts disappearing.
* The earcups are on the small side.
* The headphone can fold up into smaller package.

Most of the reviewer recommend the Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro instead, which retails at $130 or so. They feel that it is more durable and sound better. However, while all of that is true, the headphones ear on the DT-770 is rather large. While these are normal size for a headphone of this type, they might be a bit large for the kids.
GeMoney

Post by GeMoney »

Would he consider earphones rather than headphones? If yes, I highly recommend 7hz Salnotes Zeros available on Amazon for $22.99 (it was $19.99 a few months ago before its popularity). These things are amazing for the price and I don't use my mid-range Sennheiser headphones anymore. The bass is good but admittedly it's not for bass heads. The overall resolution is just unbelievable for the price. It was voiced by a very popular Youtube earphone reviewer called "Crinacle". I upgraded it by using memory foam ear tips which improved the bass and a small piece of micropore tape on the driver to smooth out the high frequency. The upgrade suggestions came from another Youtube reviewer.
MH2

Post by MH2 »

GeMoney wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:13 am Would he consider earphones rather than headphones? If yes, I highly recommend 7hz Salnotes Zeros available on Amazon for $22.99 (it was $19.99 a few months ago before its popularity). These things are amazing for the price and I don't use my mid-range Sennheiser headphones anymore. The bass is good but admittedly it's not for bass heads. The overall resolution is just unbelievable for the price. It was voiced by a very popular Youtube earphone reviewer called "Crinacle". I upgraded it by using memory foam ear tips which improved the bass and a small piece of micropore tape on the driver to smooth out the high frequency. The upgrade suggestions came from another Youtube reviewer.
It's also worth keeping in mind that most/all Chinese in-ear monitor cables loop around the ear. Fit and quality simply aren't an issue for most of the more popular IEMs, especially when you consider just how many accessories and alternative sized tips they come with.

Anyway, I completely agree with GeMoney. There's simply no competition when it comes to modern IEMs and traditional open or closed back headphones until you're beyond the $300-$500 range.
raveon

Post by raveon »

Consider Sony WH-100XM4 (https://www.amazon.com/Sony-WH-1000XM4- ... TXGM3?th=1)

I was recently on hte market for one and purhcased the above. It was around $228 in Black Friday but I managed to find a returned/restocked item on Amazon which was discounted a futher 30%. When I received it, it was in the original packaging and looks to be in brand new condition (no sign of wear/tear, scratches etc) and works very well. In the end, it cost around $150 or so.
harland

Post by harland »

To the OP - you're definitely in the right neighborhood. I suggest the AKG K371 instead of the K361. The sound is comparable to my Revel Ultima Studios and I listen to them daily.

EDIT - I'd like to add that I've had my K371's for almost two years now and haven't had a problem with them. I've accidentally yanked them out of a headphone socket a few times and run over the cord with the casters on my chair and they still sound good as new. The construction of the earcups and the headband seems to be quite sturdy and the materials used feel upscale. As you noted, the low impedance makes them suitable to be driven from virtually any headphone socket. The impedance also doesn't vary widely with frequency so even if the output impedance of the amp is high, it won't change the sound signature too much.
Last edited by harland on Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above-average drivers.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

raveon wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:48 pm Consider Sony WH-100XM4 (https://www.amazon.com/Sony-WH-1000XM4- ... TXGM3?th=1)

I was recently on hte market for one and purhcased the above. It was around $228 in Black Friday but I managed to find a returned/restocked item on Amazon which was discounted a futher 30%. When I received it, it was in the original packaging and looks to be in brand new condition (no sign of wear/tear, scratches etc) and works very well. In the end, it cost around $150 or so.
XM4 and most other wireless headphones sound best only from a wireless digital source.

When plugged in like OP for listening to vinyl (not broadcast wirelessly) its not optimal
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

This is my go to brand.

https://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/ ... dsets.html

Look at 80, not 32.
Last edited by rockstar on Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

I like this website for AV equipment reviews:
https://www.rtings.com/headphones

I don’t have any specific recommendations, since I usually shop at a much lower price point than you’re looking at, and hold nihilistic beliefs about audio fidelity. Would point out though that what sounds good to adult reviewers may not apply to a grade school aged child.
teamDE

Post by teamDE »

I disagree on the MDR7506s. I have a pair and they kill my ears. They're also rather thin and bright without EQ. They're studio headphones because they're designed for tracking while recording. You want them to cut, not necessarily be accurate, for that purpose.

The ATH-M50s are a much nicer daily driver. They're accurate, but also "fun". Comfortable, durable.

I haven't heard them myself, but I've heard really good things about the AKG K371s. I think the build quality isn't awesome, but they're tuned very well.

Massdrop has the HD6xxs on sale now for $240. They're the same exact thing as HD650s. They are open back, but are the comfiest thing I've ever put on my head and sound just generally pleasing. Highly recommend.
Bogle7

Best headphones

Post by Bogle7 »

Sennheiser HD 800 S
Don’t cheap out on your son
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
rob

Post by rob »

I am a HUGE fan of headphones.... and have more pairs than I care to admit to my better half.

The best value open back (meaning everyone in the room will hear) are Philips SHP9500 around $75... Far better than you would expect for the price and been a big name brand. They drive easily from a phone or laptop and are very neutral - just great listening. Personally I far prefer open back but it's a personal preference, so I would also have them try a closed back (Audio-Technica M50's are good choices but prob in the $150+ range). It does NOT have a microphone, so just music.

They can get VERY much more expensive... ask me how I know :shock:

Edit: Congrats on his music choice... Nice to see!
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
KFBR392

Post by KFBR392 »

I see others have correctly suggested the Sony MDR7506s. I might also add to the list the Sennheiser HD 280 Pros. They are what I edit and mix on at home after others have gone to sleep.
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

+1 for the Sony headphones
I have the Studio Monitor ones that a lot of radio ppl use MDR-V6. Mine are about 16 years old, still great but I did have to get some new earpads.
Have fit everything that I have...see if Sony has one in your price range - these run about $80 with the newest versions
I also have a pair of Skill Candy with a microphone that I use for the cell phone - their stuff seems to be popular and I can attest to their quality and durability.
DetroitAvant

Post by DetroitAvant »

I tend towards more bass heavy headphones over neutral monitors. In addition to the MDR-7506, I've had Senn 280Pros and Audiotechnica M50. I think I liked the M50 the best out of those. Right now I've got Beyerdynamic 770 and I use a Monoprice amp for them. For traveling (and a cheaper option) I have Koss Porta Pros that I've been happy with.
ronno2018

Post by ronno2018 »

I tried some Monoprice $300 headphones and returned them as they did not sound as good as an old pair of Koss $39 headphones -- https://www.amazon.com/Koss-PortaPro-He ... 00001P4ZH/

But really try some different brands and maybe you have a local hifi shop that is willing to let you demo some?

Sigh. It is lame that so many retail hifi shops are gone now. Arrggh.
twh

Post by twh »

Whatever you buy, please make sure they are open ear type and not closed ear type. Your son's hearing will thank you later in life. Trust me, I know.
lazydavid

Re: Best headphones

Post by lazydavid »

Bogle7 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:03 pm Sennheiser HD 800 S
Don’t cheap out on your son
Lol, and here I resisted suggesting the HD660s because they were well over the stated budget! :D
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

hunoraut wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:12 am The aforementioned Sony, and Audio Technica ATH M50 (and its variants), are the tried and true go-to entry level closedback headphones.

Over last 2 decades theres been literally 100s of new headphone companies bringing out 1000s of audiophile-centric models. But the above are sureshot products, from which your son can start his own journey of discovery. Ive used all those above and theyre all great.
I too use the ATH-M50x headphones. No complaints.
cacophony

Post by cacophony »

hunoraut wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:12 am The aforementioned Sony, and Audio Technica ATH M50 (and its variants), are the tried and true go-to entry level closedback headphones.

I was a fan of the cheaper Grados until I discovered the Philips SHP9500, which I think sound as good but are significantly more comfortable. I also really like the Sennheiser HD 6XX but those are more expensive.

I've never heard a closed back pair of headphones that sounded remotely as good as open back for music. But of course open back isn't really acceptable in various situations. The Sony MDR 7506 are ok for most things but the cord is kind of unwieldy and the ear pads disintegrate rather quickly. I've always felt the ATH M50s were overrated. Too much clamping force for long listening sessions and nothing special for music reproducition.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

cacophony wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:07 am I was a fan of the cheaper Grados until I discovered the Philips SHP9500, which I think sound as good but are significantly more comfortable. I also really like the Sennheiser HD 6XX but those are more expensive.

I've never heard a closed back pair of headphones that sounded remotely as good as open back for music. But of course open back isn't really acceptable in various situations. The Sony MDR 7506 are ok for most things but the cord is kind of unwieldy and the ear pads disintegrate rather quickly. I've always felt the ATH M50s were overrated. Too much clamping force for long listening sessions and nothing special for music reproducition.
I like the 6XX but they would need an amp to sound their best. I remember the SHP9500 from what must be a decade ago on headfi?

The landscape used to be Beyer, AT, AKG, and other established brands. Then came the Chinese ODM boom and its near impossible to keep up with whats current and new. Its a deep rabbit hole for the kid to explore though!
harland

Post by harland »

cacophony wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:07 am I've never heard a closed back pair of headphones that sounded remotely as good as open back for music.
I would've agreed with you up until the AKG K371's and the Dan Clark Audio Stealth hit the market. Both of them are light-years ahead of any closed back (or open back) headphone out there.
The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above-average drivers.
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

I have been SUPER pleased with my closed Back Sennheiser wired headphones.

Model HD 569 - currently ~ $100 on Amazon.

Sound quality on work calls has been top notch, and they are comfortable for multiple hours of wear.