New "Bogleheads on Investing podcast" Christine Benz discusses taxes, SECURE 2.0 and safe withdrawal rates in retirement

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Rick Ferri

New "Bogleheads on Investing podcast" Christine Benz discusses taxes, SECURE 2.0 and safe withdrawal rates in retirement

Post by Rick Ferri »

Christine Benz, CFP®, is Morningstar's Director of Personal Finance and the co-host of The Long View Podcast. We discuss 2022 taxes and how SECURE Act 2.0 will affect 2023 taxes and beyond. We also dive into a safe withdrawal rate during retirement and discuss how changing market valuations, inflation expectations, and the "spending smile" during retirement affects the amount you can reasonably withdraw.

HERE> Episode 054: Christine Benz discusses taxes and safe withdrawal rates in retirement

This podcast is supported by the John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy, a non-profit organization approved by the IRS as a 501(c)(3) public charity on February 6, 2012. Your tax-deductible donation to the Bogle Center is greatly appreciated.

Your Host
Rick Ferri
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.
Topic Author
Rick Ferri

Re: New "Bogleheads on Investing podcast" Christine Benz discusses taxes, SECURE 2.0 and safe withdrawal rates in retire

Post by Rick Ferri »

Good stuff!
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.
robertfromtx

Re: New "Bogleheads on Investing podcast" Christine Benz discusses taxes, SECURE 2.0 and safe withdrawal rates in retire

Post by robertfromtx »

Thanks Rick, really enjoyed the podcast and found it very insightful.
Topic Author
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

robertfromtx wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:22 pm Thanks Rick, really enjoyed the podcast and found it very insightful.
Thank you!
GP813

Post by GP813 »

Christine Benz is one of the best financial podcasters, always liked her interviewing style and the clear way she presents information but still lets the guest get their point across. The Secure Act 2.0 is so confusing, way too many moving parts that are dependent on the retirement plan the employer offers the individual. I really wish there was a standardized/nationalized retirement system that was an option for people.
frugalecon

Post by frugalecon »

Thanks for the interview, it was worth a listen. Just one teeny piece of advice: when discussing return assumptions, it wasn’t always clear to me whether they were real or nominal. I like to think in terms of real expected returns for, e.g., stocks, so that I don’t need to keep track of the inflation assumption as well.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

It was great to hear two of the “giants” of Boglehead World on this podcast.

It’s good to hear that the lineup for the 2023 BH Conference speakers is coming together nicely.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
rbwb

Post by rbwb »

Great podcast as usual.
Spot on advice from Rick about the SSA 44 form for IRMA adjustment due to Life Changing Event.
I retired in 2022 and was expecting a huge headache getting that IRMA changed but it was really simple.
Topic Author
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

frugalecon wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:06 pm Thanks for the interview, it was worth a listen. Just one teeny piece of advice: when discussing return assumptions, it wasn’t always clear to me whether they were real or nominal. I like to think in terms of real expected returns for, e.g., stocks, so that I don’t need to keep track of the inflation assumption as well.
Good point. The median 4% fixed income and 7% global equity expectation over 10 years was nominal. The median inflation expectation from the forecasters is around 3%, making the real expected returns 1% for fixed and 4% for equity.

Rick Ferri
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Post by Barry Barnitz »

Hi all:

We have completed the transcript for Episode 54 with Christine Benz: Bogleheads on Investing with Christine Benz: Episode 54

regards,
The transcript team
Additional administrative tasks: Financial Page bogleheads.org. blog; finiki the Canadian wiki; The Bogle Center for Financial Literacy site; La Guía Bogleheads® España site.
mkc

Post by mkc »

I listened to the podcast today - great information and I particularly appreciated Rick's reminder to be cautious doing conversions, etc., if an early retiree/pre-Medicare age and their impact on ACA premium tax credits.