do we need a popup, survey, web annoyance master thread?

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
heartwood

do we need a popup, survey, web annoyance master thread?

Post by heartwood »

I read LadyGeek's Compendium of General Consumer Issues Threads viewtopic.php?t=350764 I didn't find my topic. Thanks LadyGeek for the valuable compendium!

I found that post after reading gavinsui's post on cookie consent popups: viewtopic.php?p=7090096#p7090096 and before I started this new topic.

gavinsui's post reminded me of a frequent annoyance of going to a site and immediately being greeted by "will you answer a survey?" or similar barrier to doing what you came to the site to do.

Or a different but a similar waste of time, going to Citi's Costco Visa site and having to press the Continue icon each time you type your PIN or other info? You have to choose a delivery method (text or phone call) each time, followed by hitting Continue, then entering the PIN and hitting Continue each time. Any fix that would let me hit the Enter key at the end instead of their Continue?

Not sure if we need a master thread, but I still have the question, Is there a way to stop those popups?

Or not having to click the box to "remember this device" on various sites and not have it work? Thanks to JoMoney for posting his solution.
JoMoney wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:06 pm
heartwood wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:01 pm...
Doesn't work for me. I cleared all Fido cookies, logged on, got the PIN, checked the trusted device box. logged off, then logged on again, got the PIN prompt, entered PIN, checked box, etc. Tried one more time, without success.

I'm using Chrome browser on a chromebook.
I am on Chromebook as well, without issue.
Perhaps you're using a plug-in blocking cookies, or have your browser configured to delete all cookies when closing?
So, any waste-of-clicks examples you have, and better, solutions?

Do we want a master thread?
jebmke

Re: do we need a popup, survey, web annoyance master thread?

Post by jebmke »

A general web grievance thread. Might be good. If so, I'd suggest a recommendation that when people post these that they state what hardware, browser and OS they are using. It matters. Chrome on a iPad may not behave the same as Chrome on a Chromebook.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

If they won't create an "International or not and if so, how much" master thread in which to put the dozens, if not hundreds, of new threads each year on that same tired topic rehashed ad infinitum by the same posters....well....I wouldn't be optimistic! :happy
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

This thread is now under the Forum Issues and Administration heading.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Sorry, but general grievance threads won't be productive. There are far too many websites and even more device configurations to have a meaningful discussion. Also, there's not much you can do about the situation other than complain.

gavinsiu's thread Is there a way to block cookie consent pop-ups is focused on a single topic. Please ask your pop-up questions in that thread.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.