What to do in retirement

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Carno

Re: What to do in retirement

Post by Carno »

AlohaBill wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:16 pm Finally, I try to walk for 1 hour 5 or six days a week. These are a few of the things I do each day. The past and the present are really enjoyable. 8-) :D :beer
1 hr 5-6 days a week is amazing. Average recommended is 30 mins a day.
Ependytis

Post by Ependytis »

Play Pickleball
Read self-improvement book from book club
Cook
Exercise
Visit with friends
Walk the dog
Go out to eat
Do chores around the house
Spend time on the Internet including Bogleheads
Write
Meditate
Attend men’s team once a week virtually
Volunteer weekly
Take short trips during the week when hotels are cheap
Go camping
Get involved in political issue that interests me
Draw
Improvisation class weekly
Toastmasters
bcc1234

Post by bcc1234 »

Things I won't be doing (23 months away):

Checking email 24/7/365.
Waking up at 3:00 AM to pee and check the sales reports that came in at 11:00 pm when I was asleep.
Travel 3 out of five weeks.
Worry about 100+ employees.
Worry about housing starts and the weather (both impact the business I'm in).
Worry about keeping up with price increases.

So, I'll walk every day. Play a little more golf. Spend more time at our condo in Chicago.

bcc
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Carno wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:11 pm
AlohaBill wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:16 pm Finally, I try to walk for 1 hour 5 or six days a week. These are a few of the things I do each day. The past and the present are really enjoyable. 8-) :D :beer
"Recommended"... Research consistently shows that there is a pretty linear dose-response relationship between exercise and health benefits up to ~600 minutes of moderate intensity physical activity per week (depending on your current level of fitness, walking may or may not fall into that category).
OldTimer

Post by OldTimer »

I am 7 years in and can tell you exactly what I do...

1. Donate my time to a local charity that benefits from my engineering skills
2. Travel, although restricted due to covid
3. Research family genealogy
4. Read for 2 hours every morning with my coffee next to the fire place
5. Anything else I want

Don't know how I had the time for work before.
WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner »

OP,

What to do in Retirement is even more Personal than Personal Finance ….. :D

As for me, most days seem to fly by — rarely bored. It’s pretty amazing how I have adapted to a slower lifestyle yet still fee engaged.

Exercise:
- Usually 2 hour walks a day — a great opportunity to listen to Podcasts, spot wildlife, and enjoy the fresh air and sun.
- Tai Chi

Hobbies:
- Reading (love Mysteries and Thrillers)
- Photography (these days focusing on Birds and Wildlife)
- Woodturning (I find it an amazing hobby, lots to learn and master)
- Bogleheads and other Financial Planning forums

Travel
- Love to get out and explore, we are making good use of our RV

Volunteering (so rewarding to give back plus I really enjoy the comraderie)
- Teaching in Adult Ed (it’s a joy to teach highly motivated and engaged people)
- Food Bank (stocking shelves, pulling together food boxes)

Family
- Currently helping my MIL as she approaches end of life (Stage 4 Cancer), boy what a lesson in what is important in life

While not all sunshine and roses, there is rarely a day where I don’t find moments of immense joy, challenge and gratitude.

WoodSpinner
WoodSpinner

Post by 8301 »

stoptothink wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:13 am
"Recommended"... Research consistently shows that there is a pretty linear dose-response relationship between exercise and health benefits up to ~600 minutes of moderate intensity physical activity per week (depending on your current level of fitness, walking may or may not fall into that category).
I hike frequently on mountains less than 5 miles away. I often pass runners on long hills. Does my walking count?
SevenBridgesRoad

Post by SevenBridgesRoad »

Squirrel208 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:49 pm I've been retired for a couple of years now. I've lost count how many times I've been asked similar questions by well-meaning and curious friends, family, and casual acquaintances. The question is certainly reasonable and relevant, but much more so to ourselves (the retirees) than to satisfy the curiosity of those around us. It's arguably not important whether others know how we plan to spend our time, engage our minds and keep our aging bodies healthy.

However it's essential that we know the answers ourselves, or at least that we have a plan to find and fund them before embarking on this phase of our lives. Countless studies have shown that having a sense of purpose in retirement is key to maintaining physical and mental fitness as well as staving off depression, senility, dementia, and even suicide in our elder years. Statistically this is especially true for men over age 65.

Just like we made plans for education, careers, raising families, and accumulating wealth during our working years we also need to make and periodically review plans for our retirement years. "I'm going to stop working in 6 months and wing it from there" is hardly any sort of plan at all, which I suspect is likely behind the original question posed. Just like we should all have and follow an Investment Policy Statement, we'd all do well to create and manage Retirement Policy Statements too at the appropriate points in our lives.

In his great book The Psychology Of Money financial author Morgan Housel aptly notes that:

"The ability to do what you want, when you want, with who you want, for as long as you want, is priceless. It is the highest dividend money pays."

Money’s greatest intrinsic value—and this can’t be overstated—is its ability to give you control over your time. To obtain, bit by bit, a level of independence and autonomy that comes from unspent assets that give you greater control over what you can do and when you can do it."

To me this simple concept illuminates the freedom, empowerment, and opportunities we have when entering into our retirement years with financial independence.

Some may view this opportunity in fairly simplistic terms and express it in their own lives as "I'm going to go fishing more with the grandkids" or "I'm finally going to take those ballroom dancing lesson the wife has pestering me about for years" and so on. Other may have more complex or detailed ambitions, such as engaging in philanthropy, community service, or developing encore careers. It doesn't matter what you do so much as that it's essential to your mental and physical health that you do something. And doing anything well requires prior consideration, thoughtful planning, and ultimately acting on that plan. Communicating that plan to curious friends and family around you is optional.

In his book Enough: True Measures of Money, Business, and Life John Bogle sagely points out that:

“According to an authoritative article in American Psychology magazine, it’s not money that determines our happiness, but the presence of some combination of these three attributes: (1) autonomy, the extent to which we have the ability to control our own lives, “to do our own thing”; (2) maintaining connectiveness with other human beings, in the form of love of our families, our pleasure in friends and colleagues, and an openness with those we meet in all walks of life; and (3) exercising competence, using our God-given and self-motivated talents, inspired and striving to learn.”

These are arguably the very most important things in life. Things which retirement brings us the means, opportunity, and time to pursue and share with those around us.

To answer the original question posed, the current version of my own Retirement Policy Statement has 6 simple high-level goals, which I'm happy to recite whenever someone asks me what I'm going to do for the next 30 years with all of this newfound time on my hands:
- Spend more quality time with my family.
- Learn new skills.
- Read more. More history, more self-improvement, more fiction... and less news.
- Explore new places and maintain my physical fitness. (I'm one of those outdoorsy mountain folk.)
- Build new friendships and listen more carefully to the ideas of others.
- Engage and serve my community.

I'll close with this last thought... I've found it interesting, and perhaps a bit insightful, that when working people ask me what I'm planning to do in retirement most of them seem curious as though they either can't contemplate anyone "doing nothing" for 30 years, or that they can't believe that I'm financially independent to the point where I can pull it off. On the other hand, when my fellow retirees ask me the same question, especially those of older generations than me, they seem genuinely interested in learning my plans for exploring the opportunities that retirement brings.

Thanks for attending my retirement TED talk :beer
This is a darn good post.
evelynmanley

Post by evelynmanley »

I've been volunteering on an organic farm for 11 years now. I'm 68. It's been a life saver! Lots of exercise, wonderful social interaction with good folks on the farm, always learning something, I've become super strong, and all my food is free and organic. When I'm not actively working on the farm, it's a great place to roam around and spend good alone time also. Highly recommended! If I didn't have the farm, I'd want to have an enormous garden. That would keep me extraordinarily busy and happy. Or I would join up with WOOF = World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms: https://wwoof.net/
Last edited by evelynmanley on Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
racy

Post by racy »

* daily 2-mile walk, no matter the weather, get good gear
* shoot pistols (380 Auto, 9mm or my favorite 22LR)
* ride bike and motorcycle
* play rhythm guitar along with Chordify on the internet
* go to sporting events & interact with opposing fans at the bar
* volunteer- Food Pantry, Habitat For Humanity, hospital, and my favorite: Humane Society, walking dogs
* weekly coffee with retired co-workers
* smoke meat, make bread, make sausage, make hummus,
* read & nap
* trout fishing in the Spring
* visit grandkids
* travel the world
* don't worry about it, enjoy every minute of it
visualguy

Post by visualguy »

8301 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:11 pm
Bass4 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:13 pm I have full days and often wonder what I even did.

As said above, when did I have time for work.
I hear such stories quite often. The real reason why you don't remember and are constantly running short of time is that most of your activities are meaningless. If you miss any of them, it won't make much of a difference.
That's the problem. Filling the time isn't really an issue. It's very easy to spend the time just doing routine stuff at a leisurely pace. Maybe add more cooking for healthier eating and you use more time for food shopping, cooking, and doing dishes. Maybe exercise more, take more frequent and longer walks, sleep more, sit in front of the computer or phone more, watch movies more, plan some trip, or play golf. Add dealing with the almost inevitable health issue or two, and you feel busy and wonder how you were able to find time for work in the past.

This or some variant of it works for some (most?) people, and there's nothing wrong with that if it makes them happy. I kind of dread living that life, and wonder how I avoid this busyness putzing around doing nothing all that meaningful or satisfying. I want the time that's freed up by retiring not to be frittered away on just a more leisurely existence.
technovelist

Post by technovelist »

What I've mostly been doing since I retired from my last 9-5 job in 2015 is working on two of my own software projects.
So far I haven't seen any monetary payoff but they have been very interesting and the most recent one, which I'm still working on, is definitely the best work I've ever done!
In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, they often differ.
secondopinion

Post by secondopinion »

visualguy wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:06 am
Bass4 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:13 pm I have full days and often wonder what I even did.

I hear such stories quite often. The real reason why you don't remember and are constantly running short of time is that most of your activities are meaningless. If you miss any of them, it won't make much of a difference.
That's the problem. Filling the time isn't really an issue. It's very easy to spend the time just doing routine stuff at a leisurely pace. Maybe add more cooking for healthier eating and you use more time for food shopping, cooking, and doing dishes. Maybe exercise more, take more frequent and longer walks, sleep more, sit in front of the computer or phone more, watch movies more, plan some trip, or play golf. Add dealing with the almost inevitable health issue or two, and you feel busy and wonder how you were able to find time for work in the past.

This or some variant of it works for some (most?) people, and there's nothing wrong with that if it makes them happy. I kind of dread living that life, and wonder how I avoid this busyness putzing around doing nothing all that meaningful or satisfying. I want the time that's freed up by retiring not to be frittered away on just a more leisurely existence.
Agreed. The chances are that I will be working in some way the rest of my life (I am in my early 30s). Even if not, I rather at least try to be sagely honest with people as to help them be better.
Passive investing: not about making big bucks but making profits. Active investing: not about beating the market but meeting goals. Speculation: not about timing the market but taking profitable risks.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

Of course, in the end the meaningless of your activities also extends to the activities that constitute your job. We're all just weird, temporary collections of particles (or a collection of cells or "matter", if you prefer), existing for a very insignificant period of time on an insignificant spec of dust in the universe.
SevenBridgesRoad

Post by SevenBridgesRoad »

jeffyscott wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:03 am

Of course, in the end the meaningless of your activities also extends to the activities that constitute your job. We're all just weird, temporary collections of particles (or a collection of cells or "matter", if you prefer), existing for a very insignificant period of time on an insignificant spec of dust in the universe.
Well said. I have zero problem finding each day something I enjoy more than meetings, keeping up with hundreds of emails, returning a dozen phone calls, documenting useless but required information in a computer and other activities required by the work environment. I had a satisfying career and objectively advanced the ball in my field, but my collection of carbon dust (me) is finding mucho happiness in post-career-based-paycheck life.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

"I think behind this question there's an (American :?: ) idea that one must always be "busy" (or at least claim to be)."

A sub-set of American anyway. Google Protestant Work Ethic. Or Puritan Work Ethic.

"Theologically, it refers to the view that hard work is a signifier of one's election (salvation) and that diligence in one's work is pleasing to God."

I retired in 2012 and haven't been bored once since then. Did slate and copper roof work with a buddy who used to own a roofing company. This was on my 1916 home. Bought a fishing boat. Then resided the second floor rear sun porch and refloored the kitchen porch - both with tongue and groove fir. Started on the inside renovations, got engaged and then married in 2018. Moved to her house and sold mine after deciding I'd done enough on that house since I bought it in 1980 and wasn't up for the third interior renovation.
Had 2.5 PVC decks built last year on my wife's home and 2 complete bathroom tear outs done. Had some windows reglazed with double pane and two sliding doors replaced.

I/we enjoy beach vacations. We have 5 weeks booked so far this year between Kill Devil Hills and Ocracoke Island, NC.

I still get up at 6 a.m. most days.
Nivek

Post by Nivek »

I’m a couple of years away but have told a few friends I’m retiring early. Was at a party and I had a few people ask me “but what are you going to do”. My go to response is Not Work. That usually gets the conversation changed to other topics.
cshell2

Post by cshell2 »

Honestly, I think the first few months I'll do practically nothing. Just bask in the freedom of being able to do so.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Ask them why they are such boring people that they can't conceive of a life after paid work except for the elderly and infirm. Tell them you are going to do whatever you feel like doing on any given day.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

8301 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:03 am
I hike frequently on mountains less than 5 miles away. I often pass runners on long hills. Does my walking count?
Not sure if this is snarky or not. If you are passing runners while walking/hiking, you are cruising and I assume it would be. Walking and "moderately vigorous physical activity" are not necessarily the same thing, that is determined by your current physical condition. My point being that recommendations are general recommendations; if someone walks an hour a day 5-6 days a week, that is a lot more movement than the average person gets, but that doesn't mean it is ideal (or "enough") to promote max health benefits in their situation.
trueson1

Post by trueson1 »

Whatever you want is right.

Just be careful not to fill up your time with stuff just to be busy. Take some time to learn how to relax and enjoy a slower pace and learn how not to feel guilty about this. This was hard for me at first as I had a pretty fast-paced job and thus made my overall life fast-paced. I'm learning how to enjoy a slower pace and "do whatever I want" without that compulsion to be busy.
Last edited by trueson1 on Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1moreyr

Post by 1moreyr »

I was finally fully retired for 8 months. There was 4 months of travel sprinkled in the 8 months off. I went to see mom and dad whenever i wanted, walked the dog a couple more times a day, worked in the yard , read a book in the Adirondack chair.... did whatever we wanted at the drop of a hat.
I never worried about it, because I could always get that other thing done "tomorrow".... usually I actually did take care of that other thing.....

Someone called and asked me to consult. I decided to do it for the winter as we felt we overspent with inflation up, markets down I got nervous and took the job. I didn't need it and regret it.

I am 3 months into an 8 month gig and looking forward to the end of it. They are also trying to turn it into another 5 months and I have said no.

I want to get back to owning my time again. retirement is good. you will figure it out.... that's all i have to say
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

When I was preparing to retire I had a long list of what I was going to do, but I ended up not doing most of those things. The recital of my list was usually sufficiently boring to the listeners that they stopped asking the question.

The other two questions that I frequently got during that era were:
— Why don't you come back as a consultant and earn lots of money?
— Why don't you move to a lower cost area and save lots of money?
cockersx3

Post by cockersx3 »

visualguy wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:06 am That's the problem. Filling the time isn't really an issue. It's very easy to spend the time just doing routine stuff at a leisurely pace.
I left work about 4 months ago, and my days typically fill this pattern as well:
  • Wake up, make coffee while wife and daughter are getting ready for school.
  • Chat with wife and kid, and see them off.
  • Do my daily DuoLingo.
  • Update checkbook, then read newspaper online.
  • Clean up the house (laundry, dishes, sweep if needed, etc)
  • Head out for a long walk around the neighborhood while listening to podcasts, OR (if weather is bad) head out and do errands.
  • Take shower right before wife comes home around noon (only working a few hours a day now).
  • Have lunch with wife, then get on computer and continue practicing web app development (quite fun actually, learning a lot).
  • Break from PC to get daily-ish call from oldest at college, hear about her day and what's going on up there.
  • Hear about youngest's school day when she gets home.
  • Continue PC work until dinnertime
  • Eat dinner, then hang out with family till bedtime.
  • Rinse and repeat...
That's the weekdays. On the weekends wife and I will do some volunteer work for various activities my wife and I are involved in, and / or attend school activities with youngest, and/or hit some breweries with friends. Or just chill. Of course there are also bigger trips to plan for, including some upcoming college visits along with a longer cruise this summer.

I dunno - I keep waiting for this to get old, but after several months it's just as awesome as it was when I first left. I love not having the pressure of having to be in a certain place at a certain time, doing specific things for my employer. It's a little weird, which I sort of expected after having a job from 15 all the way to 50. But so far I really enjoy the absence of that formerly-high-stress job. In fact, the longer I've been away from work, the less I can envision myself going back there.

The other weird (but sort-of-expected) thing is that no one - I mean, not a single person at all - has asked me about how "work" is going. Nobody even knows that I'm unemployed. My "cover story" if I ever get asked is that I am an engineering consultant, which I technically don't think of as lying as I am open to doing (very very very part time) consulting if needed. But not a single person has ever brought it up, and (even if they do) . I think that's largely because I was a remote worker before I left work, so everyone just see me walking around the neighborhood during the day (back when I was working) also helps. Another contributing factor could be the large number of government workers in my area of the country, many of whom I suspect are not allowed to talk about what they do at work all day.

Post by 8301 »

stoptothink wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:45 pm
Not sure if this is snarky or not. If you are passing runners while walking/hiking, you are cruising and I assume it would be. Walking and "moderately vigorous physical activity" are not necessarily the same thing, that is determined by your current physical condition. My point being that recommendations are general recommendations; if someone walks an hour a day 5-6 days a week, that is a lot more movement than the average person gets, but that doesn't mean it is ideal (or "enough") to promote max health benefits in their situation.
Beyond a certain speed, running is easier and more efficient than walking.
visualguy

Post by visualguy »

technovelist wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:20 am What I've mostly been doing since I retired from my last 9-5 job in 2015 is working on two of my own software projects.
So far I haven't seen any monetary payoff but they have been very interesting and the most recent one, which I'm still working on, is definitely the best work I've ever done!
That's cool. Writing software can be fun which is what got many into this field to begin with.

I do research, write papers, and present at conferences as part of my work. I don't really have to do it, and it's not the bulk of my work, but I enjoy it, and get satisfaction from it. That's what I'll miss the most when I retire. I think I'll keep on doing some of that and just pay the costs myself at that point. Meanwhile, the good exceeds the bad in my job, so why not keep doing it even if I can afford to retire.
visualguy

Post by visualguy »

jeffyscott wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:03 am Of course, in the end the meaningless of your activities also extends to the activities that constitute your job. We're all just weird, temporary collections of particles (or a collection of cells or "matter", if you prefer), existing for a very insignificant period of time on an insignificant spec of dust in the universe.
That's a bit too extreme and reductive. There's a difference between spending your time playing pickleball, and spending it working on nuclear fusion, playing an instrument at an orchestra, or publishing a book of poetry.

I wasn't really just talking about doing something creative necessarily. Even in terms of just doing frivolous stuff, I'm concerned that taking it easy doing routine things will just eat up all my time with trivialities, and I'll end up just doing things that I can do anyway, only maybe a little less often while working. If I'm actually retired, I want my fun to be on a grander scale. Maybe drive the major scenic roads in Europe in a sports car. Maybe do some yacht sailing. Whatever it is, not saying specifically that, just things that I really can't do while working because they are too much of a major commitment of time. I need some plans for big things, otherwise the time will just be frittered away.
capran

Post by capran »

visualguy wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:20 pm
jeffyscott wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:03 am Of course, in the end the meaningless of your activities also extends to the activities that constitute your job. We're all just weird, temporary collections of particles (or a collection of cells or "matter", if you prefer), existing for a very insignificant period of time on an insignificant spec of dust in the universe.
That's a bit too extreme and reductive. There's a difference between spending your time playing pickleball, and spending it working on nuclear fusion, playing an instrument at an orchestra, or publishing a book of poetry.

I wasn't really just talking about doing something creative necessarily. Even in terms of just doing frivolous stuff, I'm concerned that taking it easy doing routine things will just eat up all my time with trivialities, and I'll end up just doing things that I can do anyway, only maybe a little less often while working. If I'm actually retired, I want my fun to be on a grander scale. Maybe drive the major scenic roads in Europe in a sports car. Maybe do some yacht sailing. Whatever it is, not saying specifically that, just things that I really can't do while working because they are too much of a major commitment of time. I need some plans for big things, otherwise the time will just be frittered away.
We sailed for 40 years including full time summer sailing since 1986. We highly recommend it! We were so lucky working for the school system which gave us 2 1/2 months every summer to live the "retirement dream" without needing to retire. (although sold the sailboat last May and bought a trawler, which is not nearly as much fun.)
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

liveinaz wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:03 am ..
So i am wondering what others are doing once they retire...what kind of hobbies or what do you do to keep yourself busy, entertained, excited and your brain and body healthy?

Liveinaz
Here is a similar thread:
viewtopic.php?p=6961684#p6961684
MarkBarb

Post by MarkBarb »

I've found that the people that are happiest in retirement retire to do something rather than to get away from something.

For my wife and I, some of our retirement pastimes include:
1) Walking every morning
2) Playing disc golf together and volunteering at tournaments
3) Volunteering at a local maker space
4) Creative hobbies - making stuff with a laser cutter, 3D printer, dye sub printer, CNC, etc
5) Travel - Big intl trips, cross country driving trips, local trips, camping trips, and whatever catches our fancy
6) Learning to fly and building an airplane
7) Taking much deeper dives into things that I did casually before
8) Reconnecting with old friends
9) Using Duolingo to "learn" new languages (Make those intl trips more interesting)
10) Other random volunteer stuff
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

Below is an email I sent to a friend in 2019 after he asked about retirement options.

You have a good memory, Art. In my “farewell” email, I did say I had read some retirement books. I don’t remember which ones though. I looked thru my shelves and didn’t see any relevant books, so I must have borrowed them from the library.

Books
A Google search turned up “How to Make Your Money Last” by Jane Bryant Quinn [this does ring a bell – I think I did read this one] and “How to Retire Happy, Wild, and Free” amongst hundreds of other books. Lots of them are probably ok, and they are just starting points anyways. You will have to adapt whatever they say to your specific situation.

The main thought here is that retirement is not just about a “financial number” but also about life-style changes! [You’ve heard of some people dying 6 months after retirement, e.g. Joe Paterno, the Penn State football coach. And others who “fail” and go back to work within a year.]

My Recommendations
As for my personal advice about retirement:

1st and foremost: Do NOT make any big irrevocable decisions in the first year after retirement! This advice is appropo after any life-changing event, e.g. death of a spouse, divorce, moving across the country/world, etc. Retirement qualifies as a life-changing event. In particular, do not sell your home and move to Idaho (to be near grandkids or whatever)! If you want to make a big change, find a way to try it out first, e.g. move to Idaho but don’t sell your house until you are sure the move is right.

2nd: Some people need structure in their life. These people typically need a reason to get up in the morning to take the place of whatever jobs and careers they had for 40 years. Others like me chafed under the work regimen and welcomed the freedom to do nothing after retirement. You have to realize whether you need the structure, and if so find some way to have it.

The first 1-4 months can feel like a long vacation. Nothing wrong with that. [You might not need the structure during this period.]

Some people work on a “honey do” list for several months. Again, nothing wrong with that.

That is often followed by a “travel period” which can sometimes last 2 years. After a while though, the travel usually gets old, you’ve gone to the places you really wanted to go to, and traveling is more expensive than not traveling. If your spouse is not retired, you might want to delay the travel period.

Now, what to do to replace the 45-65 hours per week that was spent at work or commuting?

Lots of people look to volunteer. It’s usually low stress and flexible (for travel plans, etc).

Another option is a part-time job in a related or different field. This often provides the structure that some people need.

Then there are hobbies. The pre-retirement advice is to find your hobbies before you retire. This isn’t as easy as it sounds. Lots of people thought golf was their retirement hobby, only to discover that while once-a-week golf left them thirsting for more, 5-times-a-week golf was boring –- and maybe causing repetitive stress injuries.

A New Retirement Interest
I did an exercise with Jim K. to try to find a retirement interest. It was from a book Jim had read, but I never had the book [not sure I even knew the title] and I don’t have any notes from it. But the exercise went something like this:

Write down the 3 best vacations you ever had. What was great about them?
Write down the 3 best work experiences/projects you had. Why were they good?
Who are the 3 most interesting people you have met? Why were they interesting?
Try to connect the dots for the 3 things in each category to find commonalities or themes.
And then try to connect the dots across the categories to also find commonalities or themes.

I have to admit when I did this exercise soon after I retired, it did not help me. I had no clue what the commonalities or themes were in the things I chose. Instead I stumbled around, tried 60+ different classes at OLLI [more about that below], and eventually got around to playing violin again and then taking voice lessons.

However, when I re-examined my responses 2 years after I did the exercise, I did see a couple of common threads. Maybe I needed a coach to help me with the exercise.

Jim did caution that trying to do the things you did in your youth will often be discouraging. You will never swim as fast or as well as you did in your 20s. Trying new things is better, since there is no comparison bar.

OLLI
One of the great things about CSUF OLLI is that they have lots of classes [140+ different ones per year]. There are no tests and no homework.
The OLLI web site is: http://olli.fullerton.edu/
Class listings are at: http://olli.fullerton.edu/classes/index.php
OLLI registration is $260/year. [Mostly it pays for a parking pass which is $8 per day at CSUF.]
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

2022 Addendum: I ran across a TED talk that sort of aligned with my thoughts about retirement.

TED Talk: 4 Phases of Retirement by Dr. Riley Moynes
1. Vacation
2. Is this all there is? Loss of routine, identity, relationships, purpose, power from work.
3. Trial & error Exploration
4. Recovering routine, relationships, purpose, power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMHMOQ_054U
technovelist

Post by technovelist »

visualguy wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:03 pm
technovelist wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:20 am What I've mostly been doing since I retired from my last 9-5 job in 2015 is working on two of my own software projects.
That's cool. Writing software can be fun which is what got many into this field to begin with.

I do research, write papers, and present at conferences as part of my work. I don't really have to do it, and it's not the bulk of my work, but I enjoy it, and get satisfaction from it. That's what I'll miss the most when I retire. I think I'll keep on doing some of that and just pay the costs myself at that point. Meanwhile, the good exceeds the bad in my job, so why not keep doing it even if I can afford to retire.
I presented at a conference in September, which I think was my first presentation of any significance.
It was enjoyable once I got to do it but it was pretty stressful because 6 weeks before the conference, Intel had canceled the hardware that my software was optimized for! :oops:
So I had to either change the title to "Buggy Whips of 2022" or change the focus of my presentation so it would still be of interest to the attendees at the conference.
I decided on the latter and I think it was pretty successful but the issue was in doubt for awhile.
In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, they often differ.
Thranduil

Post by Thranduil »

doobiedoo wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:21 pm 2022 Addendum: I ran across a TED talk that sort of aligned with my thoughts about retirement.

TED Talk: 4 Phases of Retirement by Dr. Riley Moynes
1. Vacation
2. Is this all there is? Loss of routine, identity, relationships, purpose, power from work.
3. Trial & error Exploration
4. Recovering routine, relationships, purpose, power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMHMOQ_054U
I have been retired for one year and found that video super helpful, especially as it emphasizes that retirement is a journey, not a destination. My thoughts/feelings about my decision to retire early, at 57, have been all over the map over the past year. His roadmap is helpful.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

8301 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:16 pm
Correct, for most people that tipping point is around 4.5mph (faster than most people ever walk). I'm still not understanding what point you are attempting to make.
jpelder

Post by jpelder »

My parents are both recently retired. So far, they've been going for

Spending more time in the garden
Going on more trips
Volunteering more with their church (I think they're doing Wheel-a-Meal about twice per week)
Volunteering more in general (My dad does a lot of things with the Boy Scouts, my mom does pastoral care at church)
Walking the dog 2-3 times per day, instead of just once
Joined a gym
Reading

Post by 8301 »

stoptothink wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:05 pm
8301 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:16 pm

Correct, for most people that tipping point is around 4.5mph (faster than most people ever walk). I'm still not understanding what point you are attempting to make.
You may have a simple intensive workout by working against the gravity.
lws

Post by lws »

To much to mention.
Heading to the gym ASAP.
Riding my bike after.
Carno

Post by Carno »

8301 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:07 pm
stoptothink wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:05 pm Correct, for most people that tipping point is around 4.5mph (faster than most people ever walk). I'm still not understanding what point you are attempting to make.
4.5mph covers 1 mile in 13 minutes. This is more like fast jogging.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

This is another excellent video titled "Getting What You Want and What to do When You Get There" Rick Eigenbrod, (executive coach) for those lost in retirement :

https://vimeo.com/101418676

The video is a presentation at a Vistage Meeting.

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
Orange44

Post by Orange44 »

My answer is "Nothing."

Lots of good stuff on this list though. But first I just need to do nothing for a bit.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

Orange44 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:50 pm My answer is "Nothing."

Lots of good stuff on this list though. But first I just need to do nothing for a bit.
Excellent! "Doing Nothing" is not valued or understood in our society. It has many benefits though.

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
SeaDog

Post by SeaDog »

It is as if everyday is a Saturday.

That seems to help the 9-5 M-F crowd sort of understand.
happysteward

Post by happysteward »

Upon retiring as an engineer for 40 years I completed my ESL ceriification and am now volunteering with adult internationals helping them learn English, The need is huge. it’s wonderful service in many ways….
"How much money is enough?", John Rockefeller responded, "...just a little bit more."
RoadThunder

Post by RoadThunder »

Actually a walking at a speed the results in zone 2 training does provide a great level of cardiovascular VO2 endurance-. Most professional runners/bikers spend the majority of their training time in zone 2.
RoadThunder

Post by RoadThunder »

Carno wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:34 pm
8301 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:07 pm
stoptothink wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:05 pm Correct, for most people that tipping point is around 4.5mph (faster than most people ever walk). I'm still not understanding what point you are attempting to make.
4.5mph covers 1 mile in 13 minutes. This is more like fast jogging.
Speed is irrelevant/ time within cardiac zone2 and functional peak zone2 VO2 is what matters- even more so for non-professional athlete.
stocknoob4111

Post by stocknoob4111 »

I plan to do slow travel around the world for the 1st 5 years at least, I plan to hit 100 countries in that time period which isn't too far off since i've already been to 65. I am also planning to do some good hiking, want to do the W in Chile, and Everest Base Camp again (I did it once in 2014). I may do Kilimanjaro again too (I did that last in 2017). There are several other places on my bucket list that I want to visit - I have a huge list lol!

I also have several personal goals - learning another language, improving my French which is terribly rusty, playing guitar (I am already a player but again very rusty since I hardly do it these days), doing more scuba diving which I haven't done in a few years etc. - I have many hobbies would never be bored.
Carno

Post by Carno »

Henry Kissinger is 99 years old and still has an active mind. He looks somewhat overweight and I wonder what he does for exercise?
minimalistmarc

Post by minimalistmarc »

liveinaz wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:03 am I am struggling to answer a question that people ask me when i tell them i am retiring in 6 months...

The question is something like "what are you going to do once you retire"...

So i am wondering what others are doing once they retire...what kind of hobbies or what do you do to keep yourself busy, entertained, excited and your brain and body healthy?

Liveinaz
Do nothing

https://youtube.com/watch?v=8An2SxNFvmU&feature=share
Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel »

Not go to work.
Work out.
Get outdoors for at least an hour a day, regardless of the weather.
Develop a bucket list for travel and start ticking them off.
Develop a hobby.
Cooking and gardening - effort to eat healthier with more time in the day
Time with grandkids.