Tracking and simulating returns *with* dividend reinvestment and tax drag

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
MNS CA

Tracking and simulating returns *with* dividend reinvestment and tax drag

Post by MNS CA »

My investments are divided fairly evenly between taxable and non-taxable accounts--roughly 41% in retirement / HSA / 529s and 59% in taxable accounts. I'd guess my tilt toward taxable accounts is likely to grow over time or at least remain the same, given my finances.

Because of this issue--that I have a lot of my portfolio in taxable accounts and this is likely to grow over time--I'm very conscious of trying to maximize the value of my tax free accounts and minimize taxes in my taxable accounts.

I'm looking for a website or tool that will let me compare quickly the returns *including dividend reinvestment*, for different ETFs, stocks, mutual funds, etc. I want total returns assuming reinvestment, not just price appreciation. And I want to see it compound over many years easily.

I'd ideally like something that could also show me the *after tax* returns, since dividends and involuntary distributions of capital gains passed through from mutual funds affect this. I don't know if ETFs pass through capital gains as well.

Does anyone know of a website or tool that suits my needs?