Fidelity free Turbotax 2022

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
agbp

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax 2022

Post by agbp »

I have gotten free Turbotax from Fidelity for years, but not this year.

There are two potential reasons, I think:
1. In the fall I asked the rep assigned to me to stop calling me. I said I'd call if I needed anything. Now I don't have an assigned rep anymore.
2. DH and I both opened new joint brokerage accounts to get the $150 bonus (Fidelity Starter Pack offer) in late November. I wonder if taking advantage of that promotion knocked us off the list to get the free Turbotax offer. We certainly came out ahead by doing that and can afford to pay for Turbotax. It looks like there would be a $10 discount on Turbotax Premier online through Fidelity.

I have not called Fidelity about it; maybe I should, just to confirm I'm not eligible.
fetch5482

Post by fetch5482 »

agbp wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:14 pm I have gotten free Turbotax from Fidelity for years, but not this year.

1. In the fall I asked the rep assigned to me to stop calling me. I said I'd call if I needed anything. Now I don't have an assigned rep anymore.
2. DH and I both opened new joint brokerage accounts to get the $150 bonus (Fidelity Starter Pack offer) in late November. I wonder if taking advantage of that promotion knocked us off the list to get the free Turbotax offer. We certainly came out ahead by doing that and can afford to pay for Turbotax. It looks like there would be a $10 discount on Turbotax Premier online through Fidelity.

I have not called Fidelity about it; maybe I should, just to confirm I'm not eligible.
As with anything with Fidelity, you'll find counter examples. There is literally no method to the madness on who seem to get the free TT.
Both these are true in my case: we had a rep, and we told him we don't need service /stop calling us. I no longer have an assigned rep. And I took advantage of the same offer. Yet I received the TT offer. Go figure.
(AGE minus 23%) Bonds | 5% REITs | Balance 80% US (75/25 TSM/SCV) + 20% International (80/20 Developed/Emerging)
agbp

Post by agbp »

Thanks for the reply--that's quite interesting. Perhaps I'll give Fidelity a call.
ee22bee

Post by ee22bee »

fetch5482 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:23 pm
agbp wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:14 pm I have gotten free Turbotax from Fidelity for years, but not this year.

As with anything with Fidelity, you'll find counter examples. There is literally no method to the madness on who seem to get the free TT.
Both these are true in my case: we had a rep, and we told him we don't need service /stop calling us. I no longer have an assigned rep. And I took advantage of the same offer. Yet I received the TT offer. Go figure.
Just as another data point, confirming that there's no method to the madness: I also did the above two things. I did not receive the free TT offer this year, after having received it for several years.
daimyoaz

Post by daimyoaz »

I checked in December and early Jan and no free TTAX. Checked yesterday and saw a link on lower left after signing. Ended up being 5$ for Premier Download version.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Sorry if this has been asked and answered before, but TLDR...

The TT offer on my Fidelity account says that it imports information from one's Fidelity accounts. That seems simple for a single filer, but how about if one has a spouse that has a different login for the spouse's IRAs, Rollovers, etc. Can that be automatically integrated into the TT too?

Thanks!
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

Cruise wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:06 pm Sorry if this has been asked and answered before, but TLDR...

The TT offer on my Fidelity account says that it imports information from one's Fidelity accounts. That seems simple for a single filer, but how about if one has a spouse that has a different login for the spouse's IRAs, Rollovers, etc. Can that be automatically integrated into the TT too?

Thanks!
Haven't you ever used tax software before? You just have TT log into each company/account that you want to download from. It doesn't actually do anything different with Fidelity than it does with other brokerage firms. So you'd just import once with your login info and then again with your wife's.

The other option is that your spouse gives you access to their accounts on the Fidelity site, so you can see everything on a single login. Then it can all be downloaded from a single account.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

MisterBill wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:42 pm
Cruise wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:06 pm Sorry if this has been asked and answered before, but TLDR...

Thanks!
Haven't you ever used tax software before? You just have TT log into each company/account that you want to download from. It doesn't actually do anything different with Fidelity than it does with other brokerage firms. So you'd just import once with your login info and then again with your wife's.

The other option is that your spouse gives you access to their accounts on the Fidelity site, so you can see everything on a single login. Then it can all be downloaded from a single account.
Thanks for the information. No, I’ve not used any tax software before and haven’t done my own taxes in 40 years.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

Cruise wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:51 am
MisterBill wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:42 pm

Thanks!

Thanks for the information. No, I’ve not used any tax software before and haven’t done my own taxes in 40 years.
You can also enter 1099 manually, which I've always done.
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

nalor511 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:56 am You can also enter 1099 manually, which I've always done.
Yuck! Why bother? Especially if there's any significant amount of data.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

MisterBill wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:59 am
nalor511 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:56 am You can also enter 1099 manually, which I've always done.
Yuck! Why bother? Especially if there's any significant amount of data.
I don't trust tax software logging into my banks, brokerages, etc
czaj

Post by czaj »

MisterBill wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:45 pm I just noticed that I have a $10 offer for Turbotax on my Chase Offers, and there does not appear to be a minimum purchase. If that's the case, then you could purchase two of the $5 downloads and just pay sales tax (or maybe just one and have it be a money maker). I also have an offer at Bank of America, but that one has a $39 minimum purchase.
Did your Chase offer ever work? My Chase offer says "*Must make purchase from turbotax.com/affiliate/chaseoffer22."
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

czaj wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:44 am Did your Chase offer ever work? My Chase offer says "*Must make purchase from turbotax.com/affiliate/chaseoffer22."
Yes, it worked. There is no need to use that link, and they have no idea how you made your purchase once it posts. All that matters is that the charge posts from TurboTax, and it does.

It works for Citi cards that have the offer as well. Both have no minimum purchase requirement. Bank of America has the offer but with a minimum purchase requirement ($35 I believe), so it won't work.
Darth Xanadu

Post by Darth Xanadu »

ee22bee wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:21 pm
fetch5482 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:23 pm

Just as another data point, confirming that there's no method to the madness: I also did the above two things. I did not receive the free TT offer this year, after having received it for several years.
And interestingly, I've never returned any calls from my rep, took advantage of the $150 bonus offer, no material change to anything in my Fidelity accounts this year, and after NEVER BEFORE getting this offer, it just popped up this week (after ignoring the $20 discount offer I was seeing for the past couple of months).

Why do people prefer the download version? Does it have better functionality?
CrisisAverted

Post by CrisisAverted »

I dropped below their usual threshold levels for free TT due to market performance this year.

I do have an advisor, but have never used their services.

I got free TT this year (2nd time ever) after also getting it last year. I probably placed 100-300 trades in 2021, but maybe 4-5 trades in 2022.

Make sure to turn on BETA view when logging into fidelity.com.
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

nalor511 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:00 am I don't trust tax software logging into my banks, brokerages, etc
Yikes! Hope you don't have many entries to manually enter from your 1099B form.

But I'm glad you're being cautious. Since, you know, only millions of people (or is it tens of millions) have used the import feature and if there was a security exposure announcement I must have missed it. It's not like they save your login info. But you do you.
xpy1999

Post by xpy1999 »

Is there extra fee to eFile?

I see $20 for each state

https://turbotax.intuit.com/desktop-pricing/

$25 with eFile is still more than freetaxusa.
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

xpy1999 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:39 am Is there extra fee to eFile?

I see $20 for each state

Yes, there is a charge for e-filing states (except for NY) in the download version. But there is no charge for e-filing states in the online version when using the free Fidelity offer, so you are not doing a fair comparison. If you don't like it, don't take them up on the offer. i'm sure that no one will be upset.

BTW, many people either print and mail their state returns or submit it on their state's website to avoid the $20 charge.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

MisterBill wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:52 pm
nalor511 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:00 am I don't trust tax software logging into my banks, brokerages, etc
Yikes! Hope you don't have many entries to manually enter from your 1099B form.

But I'm glad you're being cautious. Since, you know, only millions of people (or is it tens of millions) have used the import feature and if there was a security exposure announcement I must have missed it. It's not like they save your login info. But you do you.
I wonder why you feel the need to reply with sarcasm when someone else chooses to be more security conscious than you.

When in doubt, I do not share login for entity1 with entity2. Any entity can be breatched, and tax software is likely a juicy target. Better safe than sorry, and all that.
dual

Post by dual »

A big problem with downloading tax information with your userid and password is that turbotax does not allow you to paste into the password field. They also *** out your entry. 🤨Obviously, a problem with the long random passwords that are now recommended. In the past, I installed autohotkey and wrote a script to do a force paste into the field. Others recommend temporally changing the password to something simpler.

I do not like installing software on my finance only PC so I have tried to type in my long passwords with some limited success. It usually works after a few tries. I will still change my password, and user ID if the site allows it, after I download the information.
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

dual wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:49 pm A big problem with downloading tax information with your userid and password is that turbotax does not allow you to paste into the password field. They also *** out your entry. 🤨Obviously, a problem with the long random passwords that are now recommended. In the past, I installed autohotkey and wrote a script to do a force paste into the field. Others recommend temporally changing the password to something simpler.

I do not like installing software on my finance only PC so I have tried to type in my long passwords with some limited success. It usually works after a few tries. I will still change my password, and user ID if the site allows it, after I download the information.
The issue with long passwords is a real issue with Wealthfront because they set a long random password and TT both does not allow you to paste in AND masks the field, so you cannot see if you've made a typing error. We'll see if they fixed it this year, but I am not optimistic since they never seemed to acknowledge that it's a bug. And with WF there are going to be a lot of transactions on the 1099B because they do TLH and you really don't want to have to enter each of them separately.

Hopefully the workaround I've used in the past still works this year.
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

nalor511 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:33 pm I wonder why you feel the need to reply with sarcasm when someone else chooses to be more security conscious than you.

When in doubt, I do not share login for entity1 with entity2. Any entity can be breatched, and tax software is likely a juicy target. Better safe than sorry, and all that.
The userid and password are not stored in the tax software, they are merely used when you're importing. It's not like Quicken where there is a password vault that stores passwords. I consider it a close to zero risk, and haven't seen anyone warning about it possibly being one. So yes, I think it's ridiculous not to use the feature that I'd say almost everyone considers to be extremely useful.
xpy1999

Post by xpy1999 »

MisterBill wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:47 am
xpy1999 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:39 am Is there extra fee to eFile?

I see $20 for each state

Yes, there is a charge for e-filing states (except for NY) in the download version. But there is no charge for e-filing states in the online version when using the free Fidelity offer, so you are not doing a fair comparison. If you don't like it, don't take them up on the offer. i'm sure that no one will be upset.

BTW, many people either print and mail their state returns or submit it on their state's website to avoid the $20 charge.
I didn't know the online version offers free state eFile. Great to know. Thanks.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

MisterBill wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:35 pm
nalor511 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:33 pm I wonder why you feel the need to reply with sarcasm when someone else chooses to be more security conscious than you.

The userid and password are not stored in the tax software, they are merely used when you're importing. It's not like Quicken where there is a password vault that stores passwords. I consider it a close to zero risk, and haven't seen anyone warning about it possibly being one. So yes, I think it's ridiculous not to use the feature that I'd say almost everyone considers to be extremely useful.
I think it's ridiculous to feel the need to publicly judge other people's choices on an investing forum. I posted my rationale. If you're happy using it, go for it. Sheesh.
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

xpy1999 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:00 pm I didn't know the online version offers free state eFile. Great to know. Thanks.
With the online product, state is not included in the price of the base product, and you pay a combined add-on price for processing and e-file. With Fidelity, that price is $0, and it applies even if you need to file in multiple states.

With the CD product, the first state software is included, but state e-file is not, and additional state downloads cost extra.

In New York, e-filing is required if you prepare your taxes electronically and free by state law, so TT cannot charge for it. One of the few oddball NY laws that I think are beneficial.
drzzzzz

Post by drzzzzz »

Has the link for turbotax disappeared or does it disappear after a certain time period since I don't see it any longer. thanks
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

drzzzzz wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:02 pm Has the link for turbotax disappeared or does it disappear after a certain time period since I don't see it any longer. thanks
I don't see it, either. And someone posted on SD that the discount was not working for them. So it must be broken again.
Chuckles960

Post by Chuckles960 »

I had the free TT link three weeks ago and clicked on it. It is now gone, and TT says I only have a $20 discount.
mike_in_ny

Post by mike_in_ny »

I will end up doing three, or maybe four, tax filings this year: mine, kid #1, the in-laws, and maybe kid #2 across
NY and two other states. A few years ago I had the problem where I bought the online version but needed
to buy it for each of the two returns I was doing. So I ended up reverting back to the desktop version that allowed
me to do multiple returns in subsequent years.

I was thinking of buying the desktop again with the one free state, then buying the two other states that I need
and paying for all the submissions......however, I just wanted to check if others had a better, cheaper way. The
returns would need the following:
Me: W2, Itemized, minimal stock sales, dividends, interest. File only in NY
Kid: W2, standard, stock sale, dividend. File in NY and another state
Inlaw: SS/W2, standard, stock, dividend. File in 3rd state.
Kid #2: W2 might be over the limit to file....

I see a discount(not free) via Fidelity, as well as the $15 from Chase......Thanks for any advice.
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

mike_in_ny wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:37 pm I see a discount(not free) via Fidelity, as well as the $15 from Chase......Thanks for any advice.
Do you qualify for the free Fidelity offer? If not, you're in the wrong thread. I'm sure that there is a generic TT thread to discuss it in. I will address a couple of basic issues

If you have to pay for the download version, your best bet will be Costco (if their sale is still on) or probably Amazon. Check the other thread, and I'm sure that deals are and will be posted.

As for your multiple state issue, do you have more than one machine that you can use? You could install a different state on each machine, even if using the same installation code
exigent

Post by exigent »

I'm currently chatting with Fidelity online and am being told that I need to be assigned to a Financial Consultant in order to qualify. When we moved our money over a few years, we were assigned one but never required their services. They (or an assistant) would call periodically, like once a year or so, and I would politely decline their assistance. They haven't called in awhile, so I'm guessing they gave up.

Based on the discussion above, this sounds like a bogus explanation.

At any rate, he then tried to pawn me off to their Investor Solutions Group phone number and then essentially hung up on me saying he was happy he could provide me with that phone number and thanked me for using chat.

Edit to add: Apparently our Financial Consultant is no longer with Fidelity, and we were never assigned a different one when he left. That's fine by me, I don't want their "help," but I do want the TurboTax offer that we otherwise qualify for.
JayB

Post by JayB »

Chuckles960 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:36 pm I had the free TT link three weeks ago and clicked on it. It is now gone, and TT says I only have a $20 discount.
I encountered the same thing this morning, half way through what yesterday was a free return courtesy of Fidelity. I spent 45 minutes speaking with TT; they said that the problem was at Fidelity's end and that many other Fidelity customers were encountering the same thing. So I called Fidelity and the rep acknowledged that this is a known problem starting in the past day or so that should be fixed within a few days; if it is not, the rep reassured me that if I go ahead and pay ($69 for TT Deluxe Premier Federal + additional for State), Fidelity will reimburse me after I call back and have a payment receipt to furnish. I hope this is reassuring to others.
Last edited by JayB on Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

exigent wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:27 pm I'm currently chatting with Fidelity online and am being told that I need to be assigned to a Financial Consultant in order to qualify. When we moved our money over a few years, we were assigned one but never required their services. They (or an assistant) would call periodically, like once a year or so, and I would politely decline their assistance. They haven't called in awhile, so I'm guessing they gave up.

At any rate, he then tried to pawn me off to their Investor Solutions Group phone number and then essentially hung up on me saying he was happy he could provide me with that phone number and thanked me for using chat.

Edit to add: Apparently our Financial Consultant is no longer with Fidelity, and we were never assigned a different one when he left. That's fine by me, I don't want their "help," but I do want the TurboTax offer that we otherwise qualify for.
It isn't that complicated, you're making it unnecessarily difficult for yourself with your attitude. It's a promotion that requires having a rep assigned. If you care about "free TT" then you need a rep assigned. If you don't want calls, tell the rep that. The chat reps can't help you qualify for a promotion, without doing the thing that you know you need, to qualify. I don't even think I had to tell my assigned rep not to call me, but I did tell the chat rep to mark me "do not call" in the system. I get "free TT" every year.
Chuckles960

Post by Chuckles960 »

JayB wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:04 pm
Chuckles960 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:36 pm I had the free TT link three weeks ago and clicked on it. It is now gone, and TT says I only have a $20 discount.
I encountered the same thing this morning, half way through what yesterday was a free return courtesy of Fidelity. I spent 45 minutes speaking with TT; they said that the problem was at Fidelity's end and that many other Fidelity customers were encountering the same thing. So I called Fidelity and the rep acknowledged that this is a known problem starting in the past day or so that should be fixed within a few days; if it is not, the rep reassured me that if I go ahead and pay ($69 for TT Deluxe Federal + additional for State), Fidelity will reimburse me after I call back and have a payment receipt to furnish. I hope this is reassuring to others.
I went back to TT and followed the "upgrade" link. That screen shows that Premier is free and asks for money only to upgrade to higher versions. So who knows what will happen when we have to pay.

Admittedly we must all make and lose a lot more than $69 on our investments. It's funny how we (or at least, I) spend must more time and effort on the small things than the big things...
JayB

Post by JayB »

Chuckles960 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:38 pm
JayB wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:04 pm
I encountered the same thing this morning, half way through what yesterday was a free return courtesy of Fidelity. I spent 45 minutes speaking with TT; they said that the problem was at Fidelity's end and that many other Fidelity customers were encountering the same thing. So I called Fidelity and the rep acknowledged that this is a known problem starting in the past day or so that should be fixed within a few days; if it is not, the rep reassured me that if I go ahead and pay ($69 for TT Deluxe Premier Federal + additional for State), Fidelity will reimburse me after I call back and have a payment receipt to furnish. I hope this is reassuring to others.
I went back to TT and followed the "upgrade" link. That screen shows that Premier is free and asks for money only to upgrade to higher versions. So who knows what will happen when we have to pay.

Admittedly we must all make and lose a lot more than $69 on our investments. It's funny how we (or at least, I) spend must more time and effort on the small things than the big things...
I went back and noticed that I had been working with the Premier edition, not the Deluxe one. I sure hope the $69 charge for this is fixed soon; I really like to proof the detailed version (with worksheets) before submitting anything, and the return must be paid for (even $0) first before any draft PDF is provided.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

I did the free TT Premiere online via Fidelity, and now it's telling me $39 for the state :oops:
UCLAbrewin

Post by UCLAbrewin »

For those curious, the Download version of Premier assists in calculating Schedule C expenses. This is an advantage over the Online version of Premier.
Last edited by UCLAbrewin on Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redhead100

Post by redhead100 »

update: criteria for free premier TT online.
I had conversation with PCG rep at fido today. He said that the criteria for the TT offer is the size of assets AND either active trader or having an assigned consultant. My case was that I was qualified for the offer on assets but I am not an active trader nor do I have an assigned consultant/advisor. The fido rep said the policy was changed last year.
(just another data point)
exigent

Post by exigent »

nalor511 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:10 pm
exigent wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:27 pm I'm currently chatting with Fidelity online and am being told that I need to be assigned to a Financial Consultant in order to qualify. When we moved our money over a few years, we were assigned one but never required their services. They (or an assistant) would call periodically, like once a year or so, and I would politely decline their assistance. They haven't called in awhile, so I'm guessing they gave up.

It isn't that complicated, you're making it unnecessarily difficult for yourself with your attitude. It's a promotion that requires having a rep assigned. If you care about "free TT" then you need a rep assigned. If you don't want calls, tell the rep that. The chat reps can't help you qualify for a promotion, without doing the thing that you know you need, to qualify. I don't even think I had to tell my assigned rep not to call me, but I did tell the chat rep to mark me "do not call" in the system. I get "free TT" every year.
Fair point, but we do (did) have a rep. He apparently left the company and they never assigned a new one. So now I have to jump through the hoops of calling in to request a rep who I will then immediately ask not to call me, all to get TurboTax… This isn’t a very customer friendly approach, hence my frustration.

And I’m not sure where you’re inferring a negative attitude on my part? Just reporting that the chat dude gave me a phone number, immediately followed by a boilerplate goodbye message, and then up popped a “this chat will disconnect shortly” thing. Seems odd that they can’t set you up with a consultant via chat, but perhaps that’s the case.

Anyway, I called the Private Client Group and the guy told me to just use TT, pay for it, and to then let them know what it cost and they will credit me back. He left a note in our account to that effect, but I guess calling and getting a replacement rep assigned is the easiest way forward for now.

Or just paying for TurboTax and calling it a day…
xpy1999

Post by xpy1999 »

nalor511 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:10 pm I did the free TT Premiere online via Fidelity, and now it's telling me $39 for the state :oops:
Just checked mine. $69 for fed and $39 for the state. Supposed to be $0 for both. gee.
Last edited by xpy1999 on Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

xpy1999 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:42 pm
nalor511 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:10 pm I did the free TT Premiere online via Fidelity, and now it's telling me $39 for the state :oops:
Really? Supposed to be $0 for the state.

Just checked mine. Also $39 for the state. gee.
Yeah I dunno why it is doing that, it was free the first time I logged in (via the fidelity link) - do I have to log in via fidelity.com each time rather than going to turbotax.com? It still says "presented by fidelity" when I go directly to TT
xpy1999

Post by xpy1999 »

nalor511 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:55 pm

Yeah I dunno why it is doing that, it was free the first time I logged in (via the fidelity link) - do I have to log in via fidelity.com each time rather than going to turbotax.com? It still says "presented by fidelity" when I go directly to TT
I tried login from fidelity, still $69 and $39. I don't know why. Fortunately I have not put in a lot of info yet before I give it up.

I happened to do many TLH in 2022 and had many trades. If 2023 is looking up, I may not have as many trades, and I may lose this offer next year. Now I doubt if it is worth it to switch to Turbo Tax just for one year.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

xpy1999 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:03 pm

I tried login from fidelity, still $69 and $39. I don't know why. Fortunately I have not put in a lot of info yet before I give it up.

I happened to do many TLH in 2022 and had many trades. If 2023 is looking up, I may not have as many trades, and I may lose this offer next year. Now I doubt if it is worth it to switch to Turbo Tax just for one year.
Interesting, so it's not just me. It was definitely showing $0 at first :-/

Update: I just did a 20m phone call with TT, they were unable to fix the issue. They said you must log in from the Fidelity Promo link *every single time*, or else you will not see the $0 price.
JayB

Post by JayB »

nalor511 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:15 pm
xpy1999 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:03 pm

Interesting, so it's not just me. It was definitely showing $0 at first :-/

Update: I just did a 20m phone call with TT, they were unable to fix the issue. They said you must log in from the Fidelity Promo link *every single time*, or else you will not see the $0 price.
Since noticing the new and unexpected charges, I have tried logging in through the Fidelity Promo Link and has *never* made any difference; the charges persist. Fidelity told me that the charging for a free return is a known problem starting in the past few days and they are working on fixing it. If it isn't fixed timely, they told me to call back and ask them to reimburse what was charged and paid.
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

UCLAbrewin wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:59 pm For those curious, the Download version of Premier assists in calculating Schedule C expenses. This is an advantage over the Online version of Premier.
Yes, the online Premier isn't really the same as the boxed version. They tried to "fix" that a few years ago by removing features from the download version (rather than adding features to online) and got some serious backlash.

If you find that you need Home & Business, you can get that for $15 once you have installed the downloaded version of Premier. You can't do that with the online version, you would have to pay full price (well, the discounted price, but not an incremental amount).
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

I just want to send a public shout-out to MisterBill for shepherding this thread and helping folks with this year's crazy version of Fidelity TT access. :beer Good on ya!
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

TimeRunner wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:20 pm I just want to send a public shout-out to MisterBill for shepherding this thread and helping folks with this year's crazy version of Fidelity TT access. :beer Good on ya!
Thank you, I appreciate that.
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

nalor511 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:15 pm Interesting, so it's not just me. It was definitely showing $0 at first :-/

This is odd. I just logged in using the fidelity link and it showed "list price of $69 final price of $0* State included"

That said, you can "pay" for your return before you actually complete it by skipping to the "File" tab, you can lock in the $0 price. I just tried this, and it showed both the federal and state tax returns were $0. Then it shouldn't matter what link you enter with (although I don't really think that you need to go in using the Fidelity link each time)
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

MisterBill wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:28 pm
nalor511 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:15 pm Interesting, so it's not just me. It was definitely showing $0 at first :-/

This is odd. I just logged in using the fidelity link and it showed "list price of $69 final price of $0* State included"

That said, you can "pay" for your return before you actually complete it by skipping to the "File" tab, you can lock in the $0 price. I just tried this, and it showed both the federal and state tax returns were $0. Then it shouldn't matter what link you enter with (although I don't really think that you need to go in using the Fidelity link each time)
Yeah when I don't go through the fidelity link on the File page I see the "discounted" prices of $59/$39, I haven't yet tried going back through the Fidelity link again. When I went the first day, it was $0. When I went back via TT directly, $$$
LiveFor30

Post by LiveFor30 »

I just find it amazing that this thread about trying to save a bit of money is eight pages long. Am I missing something here? I buy the Home and Business version when I see it on sale for about $85 and call it a day. Why are people talking about spending all this time tracking down the elusive TT discount that may or may not be at Fidelity? I am just really curious about this as I see the same thing with a certain segment of the Quicken crowd that are just terribly upset about Quicken going to an annual fee about 5 years ago. They still complain about it on a regular basis on the forum and I don't get it. :confused :confused

The older I get the less I value my money and the more I value my time.