Vanguard - transfer request issue

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
czaj

Vanguard - transfer request issue

Post by czaj »

I was trying to move some Vanguard ETFs in kind from a joint Merrill Edge account to a joint Vanguard (I did the reverse transfer no problem earlier this year). I went through Vanguard's form and it says
We're unable to continue with your request
We can't proceed with your transfer request at this time. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please try again later, or give us a call if you have questions.
Has anyone received this error? I'll call Vanguard if I have to, but would prefer to submit the request online.
David Jay

Re: Vanguard - transfer request issue

Post by David Jay »

Did you try again?

It may very well have been a software update or some other temporary outage. Note that it says "Please try again later".
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
inverter

Post by inverter »

Yes. I closed the browser and tried again. The second time I got their new UI and it worked fine.
enad

Post by enad »

czaj wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:38 am I was trying to move some Vanguard ETFs in kind from a joint Merrill Edge account to a joint Vanguard (I did the reverse transfer no problem earlier this year). I went through Vanguard's form and it says
We're unable to continue with your request
We can't proceed with your transfer request at this time. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please try again later, or give us a call if you have questions.
Has anyone received this error? I'll call Vanguard if I have to, but would prefer to submit the request online.
This often happens when they are busy, trying again is often all that it takes
What Goes Up Must come down -- David Clayton-Thomas (1968), BST
Topic Author
czaj

Post by czaj »

Thanks everyone. I tried again today and it went through!

If you have a joint account, it looks like you should check to make sure what Yodlee pulls from the other account. I switched to manual so that the transfer request is joint to joint. If it's not, Vanguard will say you need a Medallion to switch account types.