Bmw X3

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Starbase

Bmw X3

Post by Starbase »

After doing research on luxury small SUVs I came to the conclusion that I like 2023 BMW X3 the best. I am worried about reliability though with X3s.
Any other BmW X3 owners that can give me advice on whether it’s a good car to buy?
PSM

Re: Bmw X3

Post by PSM »

I bought a new 2018 BMW X3, but it was totaled by a freak storm event in 2021. I enjoyed the X3, but did not replace it with another. Instead, we bought a new 2022 Lexus RX350. Why? Though we had not experienced any mechanical or maintenance issues, the potential service costs vs the Lexus seemed too much. Lexus reliability is well documented. Also, one little thing: BMW’s come with run flat tires and no spare. A small annoyance, since those tires can be harder to replace, and more costly.

I also like the V6 engine in the RX350 vs the 4 cylinder X3.
Last spring, the car supply was fairly narrow. The RX350, a low trim unit, popped up in my search. I got it through the Costco pricing program at around MSRP.

If you go with the X3, you will enjoy it, but accept the reality of high future maintenance costs.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Not an X3 owner, but have driven the sedan version (3-series) for the past 23 years, and just ordered an M3. Concerns about BMW reliability are overblown, especially lately, where the brand is ranked third by Consumer Reports, immediately behind Lexus. Dealer maintenance will cost slightly more, but you should be able to find a solid Independent shop to do anything non-warranty.

Though there's nothing wrong with the B48 turbo 4-cylinder in the 30i versions, the B58 turbo straight-six in the M40i trim is truly one of the best engines ever made, by anyone. Good enough that Toyota chose it for the 5th gen Supra, which had big shoes to fill given the legendary status of the 2JZ that was in the 4th gen Supra. In the 8 years its been available--in everything from the 1-series up through the X7--no major weak points have been found.
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

Echoing lazydavid. The 4cylinder is good but the m40i is the way to go. The b58 inline 6 is one of the best engines ever made in terms of performance, refinement, and reliability.

You may also want to consider an x5 with the same b58 engine. Stepping up from x3 to x5 gets you much better interior materials and more refined ride but it is bigger. I also find the seats in the x5 much more comfortable (not that the x3 is bad, the x5 seats are just a lot better) For some people the extra size could be good m, for others, not so good.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

You would be better off looking at consumer reports/ jd power reliability rating rather than anecdotal reports. My ex drives a 2013 x3 with very low mileage, never had any problems, but I think it has only 40k miles. I never heard of the organization but repairpal gives it a 2.5 out of 5 for reliability, which is 10th out of 11 for luxury cars.
https://repairpal.com/reliability/bmw/x3
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

If buying new, you have warranty anyway.

Also dont skip the inline 6 turbo. Truly a gem of a motor.
bwalling

Post by bwalling »

Wife has one and loves it. No issues with it. Drove a 330 for years, and no issues with it, either. BMWs tend to not like not being maintained. Do the regular maintenance (oil changes, etc).
visualguy

Post by visualguy »

Make sure you really need it to be an SUV. The sedan and gran coupe are much more enjoyable to drive.
jlv78

Post by jlv78 »

I was looking at the same BMW model, specifically the X3M40i. Ended getting an Acura MDX Type S, around the same price as that BMW model but a little bit larger. The only difference in driving was that the X3 being smaller is quicker...but ride comfort in any of the different modes was much better in the Type S. I have been always been reluctant to BMW because of bad experiences with previous X3/330.
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

mhalley wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:46 am You would be better off looking at consumer reports/ jd power reliability rating rather than anecdotal reports. My ex drives a 2013 x3 with very low mileage, never had any problems, but I think it has only 40k miles. I never heard of the organization but repairpal gives it a 2.5 out of 5 for reliability, which is 10th out of 11 for luxury cars.
https://repairpal.com/reliability/bmw/x3
Bmw is ranked 3rd in the most recent consumer reports reliability ranking behind Lexus (1st) and Toyota (2nd). A few posters mentioned Acura. They are currently ranked 8th
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

jlv78 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:27 am I was looking at the same BMW model, specifically the X3M40i. Ended getting an Acura MDX Type S, around the same price as that BMW model but a little bit larger. The only difference in driving was that the X3 being smaller is quicker...but ride comfort in any of the different modes was much better in the Type S. I have been always been reluctant to BMW because of bad experiences with previous X3/330.
The X3 does have a stiff ride because it’s meant to be more sporty than luxury, but BMW has refreshed the x3 and it’s supposed to be a little softer than the older models.

The MDX is not a competitor to the X3, it competes with the X5. The x5 has a softer and more luxury oriented ride than the x3, and has a lot less road and wind noise.
OatmealAddict

Post by OatmealAddict »

We bought one new in 2020 for my wife and after a week or so with it, she came to absolutely DESPISE it. We actually traded it in (and took the loss) on a new 4Runner instead.

We both loved the way it drove, but the electronics drove her nuts. It was extremely difficult to fully turn it off consistently, as odd as that sounds. It would turn back on in the middle of night all the time. There were also Sirius XM issues that we spent hours trying to resolve. The auto driver recognition didn't work correctly and would swap our respective settings at random. We even had a gentleman come to our home from the dealership in an attempt to resolve the various issues we were having, but to no avail. With working a lot and having a baby to deal with, we just couldn't take the frustration any longer and got the 4Runner. Have 35K miles on that and it's been 100% flawless.
nanciT

Post by nanciT »

We have had several BMW's over the years, 3 series, X5, and now a 2019 X3.

I LOVE the car, no issues, fun to drive ! In the past if we had any issues come up BMW always backed their product and have an excellent warranty.

I personally would buy another in the future.
bwalling

Post by bwalling »

JimmyD wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:56 amWe both loved the way it drove, but the electronics drove her nuts. It was extremely difficult to fully turn it off consistently, as odd as that sounds.
It's not odd, it's real. If you don't get the sequence right when getting out of the vehicle, it won't turn fully off. My wife gets it right every time because it's her daily driver and she knows what to do. I've take to just locking the doors, even in the garage, because locking the doors is a guarantee it turns off.

I've no idea what BMW were thinking with the nuttiness around why the car might just stay on or turn back on because you did things out of order. While they may have a "reason", it's not enough to offset how confusing it is.
OatmealAddict

Post by OatmealAddict »

bwalling wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:37 am
JimmyD wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:56 amWe both loved the way it drove, but the electronics drove her nuts. It was extremely difficult to fully turn it off consistently, as odd as that sounds.
It's not odd, it's real. If you don't get the sequence right when getting out of the vehicle, it won't turn fully off. My wife gets it right every time because it's her daily driver and she knows what to do. I've take to just locking the doors, even in the garage, because locking the doors is a guarantee it turns off.

I've no idea what BMW were thinking with the nuttiness around why the car might just stay on or turn back on because you did things out of order. While they may have a "reason", it's not enough to offset how confusing it is.
That was the other problem - my wife insists on keeping her purse in the car with her car keys, so locking wasn't an option for her. We just wanted to pull our hair out. It was maddening. She's the type that doesn't deal well with electronics, so a dumb vehicle, like the 4Runner, turned out to be a much better fit.
GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff »

I have a X3M and have been very satisfied with it, although I would have preferred that it come with high performance all-season tires instead of summer-only tires. The ride is relatively firm, but appropriate for a sporty vehicle - it has the performance of a sports car with the cargo capacity and ride height of a mid-size SUV. Acceleration is most satisfying, as is cornering capability. It is higher performing and better equipped at a lower price point than equivalent models from Porsche, MB, and Alfa-Romeo.
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

FireSekr wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:47 am
jlv78 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:27 am I was looking at the same BMW model, specifically the X3M40i. Ended getting an Acura MDX Type S, around the same price as that BMW model but a little bit larger. The only difference in driving was that the X3 being smaller is quicker...but ride comfort in any of the different modes was much better in the Type S. I have been always been reluctant to BMW because of bad experiences with previous X3/330.
1. The X3 does have a stiff ride because it’s meant to be more sporty than luxury, but BMW has refreshed the x3 and it’s supposed to be a little softer than the older models.

2. The MDX is not a competitor to the X3, it competes with the X5. The x5 has a softer and more luxury oriented ride than the x3, and has a lot less road and wind noise.
1. I ordered an X3M40i in 2021, but BMW kept eliminating features from the car because of parts shortages so I pulled out, not a fault of the X3 design. Anyway I found the ride satisfactory on test drive, definitely softer than my M2. But that's a comment I see in a lot of reviews, ride still on the stiff side compared to what some people want/expect. It's obviously a function of personal taste and expectation, as well as roads. Even the M2 for example was 'firm like it should be' IMO for fun driving on well kept winding roads all over the US, 85-90% of the time maybe on long road trips. But it could be trying on crappy roads when you weren't in the mood. I eventually got a Porsche Macan S which is the X3's size; with optional air suspension it's very smooth in softest setting, though also somewhat more money than I was going to pay for the X3.

2. I agree RDX would technically be closer to X3, though BMW has more SUV levels than Acura. I also however, despite the size difference, evaluated MDX Type S v the Macan S as substitutes for the X3, since a newer refresh of the design than RDX at the time.

My BMW reliability experiences are no significant problems in 2015 328i to date (my son's car now, 60's k miles), no problems with 2018 M2 though only had it for three years.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

I'm envisioning this is related to Auto stop-start, which is on nearly every car these days. You come to a stop and the engine shuts off, but is in "ready mode" as if you were at a light, and the system is still operational. By "getting the sequence right", do you mean that you have to do one of two things?

A) Make sure to release the brake pedal before pushing the stop button
B) If you are still holding the brake pedal when you push the stop button and the engine restarts, push the button again.

The above is the case for our Audi. I've had a few cases where I've pulled into a parking spot or the driveway, the engine has shut off (green A lights up in the instrument cluster), and when I push the start/stop button, the engine re-fires. Takes a half second of "that's odd" before I just stab the button again and am all good.
bwalling

Post by bwalling »

lazydavid wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:50 am

I'm envisioning this is related to Auto stop-start, which is on nearly every car these days. You come to a stop and the engine shuts off, but is in "ready mode" as if you were at a light, and the system is still operational. By "getting the sequence right", do you mean that you have to do one of two things?

A) Make sure to release the brake pedal before pushing the stop button
B) If you are still holding the brake pedal when you push the stop button and the engine restarts, push the button again.

The above is the case for our Audi. I've had a few cases where I've pulled into a parking spot or the driveway, the engine has shut off (green A lights up in the instrument cluster), and when I push the start/stop button, the engine re-fires. Takes a half second of "that's odd" before I just stab the button again and am all good.
With the X3, it's also partly related to whether you open the door before pushing start/stop. If you do, the car will remain on, not engine running, but electronics on, after you exit. It seems to have a mode whereby the radio and other electronics remain on, even after you exit. It is not just the auto start/stop issue, because if you tried to drive it, you'd have to start it again with the button from this mode.

It's very unintuitive.
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

JackoC wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:15 am
FireSekr wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:47 am
1. The X3 does have a stiff ride because it’s meant to be more sporty than luxury, but BMW has refreshed the x3 and it’s supposed to be a little softer than the older models.

2. The MDX is not a competitor to the X3, it competes with the X5. The x5 has a softer and more luxury oriented ride than the x3, and has a lot less road and wind noise.
1. I ordered an X3M40i in 2021, but BMW kept eliminating features from the car because of parts shortages so I pulled out, not a fault of the X3 design. Anyway I found the ride satisfactory on test drive, definitely softer than my M2. But that's a comment I see in a lot of reviews, ride still on the stiff side compared to what some people want/expect. It's obviously a function of personal taste and expectation, as well as roads. Even the M2 for example was 'firm like it should be' IMO for fun driving on well kept winding roads all over the US, 85-90% of the time maybe on long road trips. But it could be trying on crappy roads when you weren't in the mood. I eventually got a Porsche Macan S which is the X3's size; with optional air suspension it's very smooth in softest setting, though also somewhat more money than I was going to pay for the X3.

2. I agree RDX would technically be closer to X3, though BMW has more SUV levels than Acura. I also however, despite the size difference, evaluated MDX Type S v the Macan S as substitutes for the X3, since a newer refresh of the design than RDX at the time.

My BMW reliability experiences are no significant problems in 2015 328i to date (my son's car now, 60's k miles), no problems with 2018 M2 though only had it for three years.
It’s all relative on the ride quality. If I were going to get an SUV, I wouldn’t want it to be too stiff because it would essentially be a long distance relaxing cruiser for me. But yes, the x3 is a lot softer than the m2, I have driven both.

I used to really enjoy tight suspensions, but for everyday driving, it became an annoyance to me. I daily an e39 M5 and that’s the right balance of comfort vs performance for the types of roads I’m driving regularly. I recently bough a 2011 335i m-sport as a second car thinking it would also strike that balance, but the ride it just too harsh for me compared to the m5. I’ve also got an e36 M3 for fun on the weekend and despite having ton of road and excellent handling, I also find the ride on that to be better than my 335i. It’s hard to compare from memory, but if I remember correctly the x3m40 felt slightly harsher than my 335i m sport.

You lucked out on the Macan. I would be frustrated too by the BMW supply chain issues. The Macan is a much better suspension setup than the X3 M40
twh

Post by twh »

You cannot own this car out of warranty unless you have a lot of money or have another way to get maintenance done. I've had an X5 and still have a 530xi and they both required a lot of maintenance that a Toyota or Lexus would not have needed. They are fun to drive, no doubt about that.
anoop

Post by anoop »

PSM wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:36 pm I bought a new 2018 BMW X3, but it was totaled by a freak storm event in 2021. I enjoyed the X3, but did not replace it with another. Instead, we bought a new 2022 Lexus RX350. Why? Though we had not experienced any mechanical or maintenance issues, the potential service costs vs the Lexus seemed too much. Lexus reliability is well documented. Also, one little thing: BMW’s come with run flat tires and no spare. A small annoyance, since those tires can be harder to replace, and more costly.

Last spring, the car supply was fairly narrow. The RX350, a low trim unit, popped up in my search. I got it through the Costco pricing program at around MSRP.

If you go with the X3, you will enjoy it, but accept the reality of high future maintenance costs.
Lexus is also moving to RFT. New NX has RFT and no spare. Not sure about new RX.
anoop

Post by anoop »

Starbase wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:50 pm After doing research on luxury small SUVs I came to the conclusion that I like 2023 BMW X3 the best. I am worried about reliability though with X3s.
Any other BmW X3 owners that can give me advice on whether it’s a good car to buy?
I think BMW has moved up a lot in reliability but if/when something breaks it is still very expensive to fix and that is reflected in the cost of extended warranties that BMW sells vs say Acura’s for a comparable model. If you care about maintenance costs you’d be better off with Acura or Lexus.

(I have owned 3 3 series cars over 15 years and also know 5 series, X5, and X3 owners. They all complain about maintenance costs. High maintenance cost was worth it to me when BMW had their special steering and suspension. With those gone, to me they were no longer worth the premium for maintenance to I now drive an RDX.)
Last edited by anoop on Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
MorgansRun

Post by MorgansRun »

I’ve had BMWs more than any other make and they are a very solid all around car/suv. I haven’t had any issues with my 3-series or X3’s. However, maintenance costs after the first three years were not enjoyable.

I now drive a Mazda CX-5.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

MorgansRun wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:18 am I’ve had BMWs more than any other make and they are a very solid all around car/suv. I haven’t had any issues with my 3-series or X3’s. However, maintenance costs after the first three years were not enjoyable.
One advantage that can offset that for all the German makes, is that if you either do your own work or have a mechanic that allows you to supply parts, you only have to pay for these items once. FCPEuro has a lifetime warranty on everything they sell. :) Brakes for my wife's Audi are extraordinarily expensive, but now that I'm past the first interval, they'll be free for as long as we have the car.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

It's a great car to lease, which I believe is what most do, at least with the higher end models.

I'd say lease, get it out of your system, then buy something more reliable like a Lexus, but maybe less souped up.
anoop

Post by anoop »

Kagord wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:08 am I'd say lease, get it out of your system, then buy something more reliable like a Lexus, but maybe less souped up.
Is leasing still a good deal these days given interest rates are so high? Also, given so much uncertainty, coming up with a residual value is probably a challenge as well.
twh

Post by twh »

twh wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:44 pm You cannot own this car out of warranty unless you have a lot of money or have another way to get maintenance done. I've had an X5 and still have a 530xi and they both required a lot of maintenance that a Toyota or Lexus would not have needed. They are fun to drive, no doubt about that.
Wife's previous X5...mind you, it was find to drive if you like an SUV...

Some in and some out of warranty...this is what I can think of off-hand...

three radiators
three water pumps
broken emergency brake switch
broken shifter mechanism
ruptured front lower control arm bushings
AWD transfer case went bad
RFT tires are horrible and expensive and less easy to find - eventually got a spare and regular tires
engine had a design flaw that made it very noisy so they changed the exhaust lifters and that made it better but BMW ultimate decided the cylinder head design should be changed (didn't get that fix)
A/C broke twice including needing a new compressor
fuel gauge broke
dashboard gauges broke
airbags had to be replaced under warranty
[EDIT 12/10...forgot these]
leaking valve cover gasket
leaking oil cooler gasket
broken thermostat to engine hose flange
broken starter
bad fuel pump relay
Last edited by twh on Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
fastrak99

Post by fastrak99 »

Starbase wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:50 pm After doing research on luxury small SUVs I came to the conclusion that I like 2023 BMW X3 the best. I am worried about reliability though with X3s.
I have driven nearly every car in this class, and would rank the 4 cylinder X3 at the bottom of them all. Not sure about the m40i OR the x3M.

To me it didn't offer luxury or sport, was a bad mix between the two.

What cars do I like in that segment?

For luxury - glc300. For two cars that blend fun to drive with sport Q5 and XC60 (edge goes to xc for sport, q5 for luxury). Macan is awesome, leans more sport. Not sure about any of the american competitors.

But I'd never recommend the X3 to anyone. Outside of the badge, it didn't offer anything to me over the competitors.
twh

Post by twh »

Offered the wife any car she wants. We drove many, including the GLC300. She wanted a Toyota Rav4 Prime XSE. Plug in hybrid, about 50 miles on a charge, but with gas engine backup. 0-60 in 5.7 seconds. Very nice. Only complaint is make sure you get XSE with Premium Package, which is somewhat harder to come by with all the supply chain issues.
Topic Author
Starbase

Post by Starbase »

PSM wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:36 pm I bought a new 2018 BMW X3, but it was totaled by a freak storm event in 2021. I enjoyed the X3, but did not replace it with another. Instead, we bought a new 2022 Lexus RX350. Why? Though we had not experienced any mechanical or maintenance issues, the potential service costs vs the Lexus seemed too much. Lexus reliability is well documented. Also, one little thing: BMW’s come with run flat tires and no spare. A small annoyance, since those tires can be harder to replace, and more costly.

Thanks; this is very helpful. I know you had 2018 x3 but I did hear that 2017s were not very reliable. I hope that’s improved but I agree you can’t beat anything owned by Toyota for reliability.
UnderPressure

Post by UnderPressure »

I have a 2014 X3 M Sport
It's been a great car so far. It's low mileage but so far not expensive to own.
Headlamp set replaced in year 2 under warranty.
Gasket failure with oil leak at 40,000 miles, my cost $1200.
After the warranty expired I take it to a German import shop who does a great job and I trust them,
The 6 cylinder engine is the way to go. Drives like a sports car.
Looking for another one in the next year if the car market calms down.
Good luck!
CFIT

Post by CFIT »

I have a 2017 6-cylinder X3 that I bought in early 2018 CPO. It came with 9,000 miles. My (ex) wife commuted in it for a year, and now it has 23,000 miles.
When I was looking at X3s, the 4-cylinders didn't compare to to 6-cylinder turbo in terms of sound or performance. As with sports cars I have owned, I feel as though I always have more power on tap than I normally use. It is a good feeling.

I have not had any problems with the car, although the electronics worry me a bit. There have been a few times, stopped in traffic, when the proximity warnings went off but nothing was near me. I have a programmed a macro button that turns off the screen, since I don't have GPS and don't want the distraction of useless information. A few times a year, the display will go black for a minute and even the backup camera won't work. This happens maybe two times a year, but makes me wonder about the reliability of the electronics.

My X3 can be set so that the engine keeps running at a stoplight.

My dad liked mine so much he bought a 2019 4-cylinder X3, which he enjoys. The speedo on that is partially electronic, being shown on a display rather than a true analog needle. That went black, but he was able to use the heads-up display to see how fast he was going and BMW fixed it under warranty. Currently, the louvers that control airflow to the engine have become stuck. Fixing that involves removing the bumper and other parts, and is fairly expensive.

You might want to look at a forum on bimmerpost.com for more info. Here is the forum for older models: https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=310 I'm sure that they have a similar forum for the current models.

If I bought a car now, I'd probably go with a Toyota for reliability. I'm retired and lucky enough to be able to walk almost everywhere I need to go.
visualguy

Post by visualguy »

I've had a bunch of BMWs, and still own one, but not an X3. Never had any significant issues, but I didn't drive them much. FWIW, I recently rented a 4-cylinder X3 with 50K miles on it. It ran fine, but there was a burning oil smell from the engine compartment, so I think it was leaking oil.
idc

Post by idc »

Don't mix up reliability with maintenance costs.

BMWs have good reliability, especially for the inline 6 cylinder. This has a lot to do with the fact that all car makers no longer invest in developing new ICE engines, and all their investments is in improving quality of their existing ones.

What will get you is the extra expensive maintenance if you plan to keep it for more than 4-6 years. All luxury cars, but especially the German ones, are very expensive in that regard, both parts and labor.