Sad news - Sheepdog passed away

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Sad news - Sheepdog passed away

Post by Miriam2 »

Moved into a new thread from: Searching for Lost Contributors --admin LadyGeek]

Sad news that our friend Sheepdog passed away [in May, 2022 --admin LadyGeek]. :(

Here is the [(obituary) -- link removed by admin LadyGeek]

Fond memories of a special Boglehead.

"My retirement plan . . . We share our good fortune with groups in need. I have watched my health, exercised often, and told my wife and children that I loved them. I stay busy, keep up my house and landscaping mostly by myself. I try to be active outside of home including volunteering. I try to smile rather than frown."
-- Sheepdog, Oct. 2, 2017

From Sheepdog's 2017 thread, Retirement Class of 1998 (Sheepdog) - www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=228860

Sheepdog wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:57 am (Oct. 2, 2017)
It has been 19 years. There wasn't a Boglehead's "Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 1998". Bogleheads hadn't been founded yet, but the Morningstar Vanguard Diehards forum was founded in March 1998 and from that came this group which commenced in 2007. Taylor Larimore, our chief advisor from that beginning, I give my thanks, but there were more such as Mel Lindauer who affected my future in those early years. My retirement would have been lost without that group.....really.....I mean that. How lucky was I to have found that forum before retiring.
Today, October 2nd, 2017, is the 19th anniversary of the beginning of my retirement. . . .
. . . . .
For all of you starting your retirement planning journey, follow the good advice given by the Bogleheads. Turn off the noise (you know what I mean). And, when you do retire, relax and have fun, exercise and eat well to stay healthy, invest conservatively, spend frugally, share your good fortune with others, and then you know you have done it right.
Sheepdog wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:53 pm (Oct 3, 2021)
Thanks to all of you who have responded to this post.
I love everybody here.
Woof Woof
Last edited by Miriam2 on Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Re: Searching for Lost Contributors

Post by Sandtrap »

Thanks Miriam, that was nice that you put all that together for "sheepdog".

Me ke aloha,
jim :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
crinkles2

Post by crinkles2 »

I loved Sheepdog's posts. He seemed like a good person. So long friend.
student

Post by student »

It is sad to hear that Sheepdog has passed away. A very special Boglehead.
2pedals

Post by 2pedals »

I am sorry to see that Sheepdog has passed. I enjoyed reading his posts. Although I didn't know him personally he had to be a very special person.

Thanks Miriam, for putting a BH tribute together.
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

Woof woof. RIP Sheepdog.
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Thank you for the official notice, Miriam2.

He and I had PM'd a few times over the years, and he told me earlier in the spring of his medical situation, which he knew was not good.

And then I never heard from him again.
My next two messages inquiring how he was doing are still in my outbox.

Very, very sad.
I miss him, even though I never knew "who he really was" until just now.
He was a very special member of Bogleheads...

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Mel Lindauer

Re: Sad news - Sheepdog passed away

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Miriam2 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:17 pm Sad news that our friend Sheepdog passed away [in May, 2022 --admin LadyGeek]. :(

"My retirement plan . . . We share our good fortune with groups in need. I have watched my health, exercised often, and told my wife and children that I loved them. I stay busy, keep up my house and landscaping mostly by myself. I try to be active outside of home including volunteering. I try to smile rather than frown."

From Sheepdog's 2017 thread, Retirement Class of 1998 (Sheepdog) - www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=228860

It has been 19 years. There wasn't a Boglehead's "Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 1998". Bogleheads hadn't been founded yet, but the Morningstar Vanguard Diehards forum was founded in March 1998 and from that came this group which commenced in 2007. Taylor Larimore, our chief advisor from that beginning, I give my thanks, but there were more such as Mel Lindauer who affected my future in those early years. My retirement would have been lost without that group.....really.....I mean that. How lucky was I to have found that forum before retiring.
Today, October 2nd, 2017, is the 19th anniversary of the beginning of my retirement. . . .
. . . . .
For all of you starting your retirement planning journey, follow the good advice given by the Bogleheads. Turn off the noise (you know what I mean). And, when you do retire, relax and have fun, exercise and eat well to stay healthy, invest conservatively, spend frugally, share your good fortune with others, and then you know you have done it right.
I love everybody here.
Woof Woof
Semper Fi, my brother. RIP.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

Miriam2 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:17 pm Sad news that our friend Sheepdog passed away [in May, 2022 --admin LadyGeek]. :(

. . . . .
I love everybody here.
Woof Woof
Miriam, this is what I feared. :( I am so sad to hear of @Sheepdog's passing; he was a splendid forum member.

RIP, and Woof Woof to a valued contributor.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Miriam2 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:17 pm Sad news that our friend Sheepdog passed away May 27, 2022. :(

Very sad to hear this.

Thank you Miriam for sharing this.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

Sheepdog (James) was a great, positive contributor. I thought it was fascinating that he keep ALL of his tax returns since 1961.
austin757

Post by austin757 »

Sounds like a life well lived. Thanks for all the great contributions to Bogleheads too. RIP, sheepdog
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Sad news indeed. It's been 6 months since he passed, but I still want to write: May he rest in peace.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Tanelorn

Post by Tanelorn »

Miriam2 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:17 pm Here is the [(obituary) -- link removed by admin LadyGeek]
That link wasn’t loading for me, and if anyone else had that problem, here’s a backup of the same story

[(obituary) -- link removed by admin LadyGeek]
Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op »

A great guy and valued forum member who will be missed. May he rest in peace.
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

So sorry to hear this. He was a great resource on the forum.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

RIP, Sheepdog.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Very sad news, he seemed like a really good human being!
Last edited by tennisplyr on Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
mbres60

Post by mbres60 »

Sad news. RIP. Thank you for posting it.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

Very sorry to hear this. He seemed like such a kind and gentle soul from his posts. I will miss his posts.

Condolences to his family. RIP Sheepdog.
CoAndy

Post by CoAndy »

Very sad to hear that this morning. :( :(
iamblessed

Post by iamblessed »

I said a prayer for your soul Sheepdog.
federal dinosaur

Post by federal dinosaur »

Sorry to hear about this sad news. My condolences to family & friends.

fd
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Life, as with investing and art is about balance and proportions. He got it right.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Very sad news, but it's nice having this post to notify everyone.
HaveaNiceDay

Post by HaveaNiceDay »

Sheepdog authored one of the most memorable posts on Bogleheads. It was an example of all that is good on this site.

I don't remember exactly when, but several years ago during a significant financial downturn, Sheepdog posted about his losses and his worries about the future. Many members provided expert advice, coaching and support. Sheepdog candidly explained his thoughts and fears as the situation unfolded and he watched his life savings reduced. He hung on and watched as things rebounded and eventually exceeded his losses. Unique to Sheepdog's posts was his vivid descriptions of the emotions that go along with these events, but are often overlooked. It was a true introspective of his investing journey.

Sheepdog's emotional experience left a lasting impression on me and has positively affected my financial life to this day. He will be missed.
Please excuse the typos, it is my way of showing the post is authentic....
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

HaveaNiceDay wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:50 am Sheepdog authored one of the most memorable posts on Bogleheads. It was an example of all that is good on this site.

I don't remember exactly when, but several years ago during a significant financial downturn, Sheepdog posted about his losses and his worries about the future. Many members provided expert advice, coaching and support. Sheepdog candidly explained his thoughts and fears as the situation unfolded and he watched his life savings reduced. He hung on and watched as things rebounded and eventually exceeded his losses. Unique to Sheepdog's posts was his vivid descriptions of the emotions that go along with these events, but are often overlooked. It was a true introspective of his investing journey.

Sheepdog's emotional experience left a lasting impression on me and has positively affected my financial life to this day. He will be missed.
I remember this well and it gave strength to others. A good soul that we will miss.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

This is very sad news. I will miss Sheepdog's posts. They definitely made the Bogleheads site more meaningful for me.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

My condolences, but I think it's appropriate to remove the obituary.

Members post here anonymously. Sensitive financial info posted here can easily be linked with a real name found on the internet. In the case of an obituary, the real names of the entire family are known.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Based on his posts here, I thought he was a good man. Based on his obituary, he was an even better man. Truly a life well lived.

RIP, Sheepdog.

Broken Man 1999

ETA: LadyGeek did the right thing, but I am glad I was able to read his obituary. Remarkable life.
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

LadyGeek wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:05 am My condolences, but I think it's appropriate to remove the obituary.

Members post here anonymously. Sensitive financial info posted here can easily be linked with a real name found on the internet. In the case of an obituary, the real names of the entire family are known.
Thank you, LadyGeek :happy
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

LadyGeek wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:05 am My condolences, but I think it's appropriate to remove the obituary.

Good point. Well said.
Perhaps a good idea, IMHO.
After an appropriate time (for this thread) has passed to show respects and unite this unique forum. (duration unknown: 30 minutes, 3 hours, 3 days. .??).

j :D
Last edited by Sandtrap on Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
MarkRoulo

Post by MarkRoulo »

HaveaNiceDay wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:50 am Sheepdog authored one of the most memorable posts on Bogleheads. It was an example of all that is good on this site.

I can't believe I am thinking this [Panic and Survival 2008-09]

The entire thread is worth reading. It provides some insight into what a financial meltdown looks like in real-time, not just afterwards when everyone knows when it will end.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Thank you Sheepdog for all I learned from you and your monumental Great Recession thread.

It sounds trite but is true: thought and prayers for you and your fanily.
Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 »

Goodbye my friend sheepdog although we've never met. You will be missed.
random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 »

This is sad news indeed. Rest in peace Sheepdog
BarbBrooklyn

Post by BarbBrooklyn »

I loved that thread from the roller coaster days of the Great Recession. Read it often.

RIP, friend Sheepdog.
BarbBrooklyn | "The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

I am glad he was able to enjoy 24 years of retirement and a long life well into his 80’s. I am glad to have had a chance to read his posts and he will be missed.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

Rest in peace. Life marches on. Even in his passing, Sheepdog has taught us another lesson. Retirements are not always 30 years long and none of us get out alive. Is there a particular reason the obituary link is removed? I would have liked to read it but perhaps family has requested privacy or something?
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

I miss you, Sheepdog.

Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Munir

Post by Munir »

His posts were not limited to a recitation of facts but included his feelings regarding what was happening. This added a personal touch, insight and value to our forum- in addition to humanizing it. Thank you, Sheepdog.
Last edited by Munir on Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
winterfan

Post by winterfan »

I'm sorry to hear. From his posts, he seemed like such a nice man.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

I'm sorry to hear it as well.

His posts were thoughtful and respectful.

JT
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

White Coat Investor wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:22 am Rest in peace. Life marches on. Even in his passing, Sheepdog has taught us another lesson. Retirements are not always 30 years long and none of us get out alive. . . .
How true - here is one of Sheepdog's posts about life expectancy and financial plans -

Per CDC: US life expectancy declined 1.5 years in 2020 - www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 5#p6398912
Sheepdog wrote: Dec. 22, 2021
Remember that no one is the average person. Everyone is special...an individual
In 1960 (my age 27 then) average men had a life expectancy of 66.6 years.
In 1998 (my age 65 then) average life expectancy was up to 76.7 years.

Well, I have reached 88.25 years, have lived past my earlier life expectancy, and still counting.

Don't make your financial plans on the average. You aren't likely to be average. Right?
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

White Coat Investor wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:22 am Rest in peace. Life marches on. Even in his passing, Sheepdog has taught us another lesson. Retirements are not always 30 years long and none of us get out alive. Is there a particular reason the obituary link is removed? I would have liked to read it but perhaps family has requested privacy or something?

I strongly agree with removing the obituary, or at the least, editing it in a fresh text copy to eliminate most of the personal, possibly identifying details. Many of those details would be those that the person purposefully did not include in his posts. Deleting those would pretty much obviate much of the reason to want to share the full obituary listing.

And as LadyGeek pointed out, his family members are identified.
THEY may prefer not to have any linkage with whatever information (financial or otherwise) that he posted here.

IF someone specifically requested that such details be shared "later", they should make arrangements for that somehow. The default should be the privacy that we have all expected here.

Yes, he seemed to be a remarkable person.
I will really miss him.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

RIP Sheepdog. You will be missed.

P.S. Woof. Woof.
Last edited by JAZZISCOOL on Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amitb00

Post by amitb00 »

Rest in peace.
Accrual

Post by Accrual »

Sad news. RIP.
2behappytoday

Post by 2behappytoday »

I learned from his posts - RIP
maniminto

Post by maniminto »

May his soul rest in peace.

His posts were thoughtful and seemed like he had a gentle soul.