Sad news - Sheepdog passed away

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
sycamore

Re: Sad news - Sheepdog passed away

Post by sycamore »

Sorry to hear about it. He contributed much to the Bogleheads community.

"On the internet, everybody knows Sheepdog is missed."
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

sycamore wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:10 pm Sorry to hear about it. He contributed much to the Bogleheads community.

"On the internet, everybody knows Sheepdog is missed."

Perfect!! :wink:

At least that's something to smile about.
I just wish Sheepdog could see that!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
aj44

Post by aj44 »

Enjoyed reading his posts for years, during any kind of market turmoil reading his Great Recession thread really helped with staying the course.

I would encourage anyone to take a few mins to skim through his post history, the way he financially managed his life in retirement is worth aspiring to.

RIP
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

If you go to the Bogleheads member profile for Sheepdog, you will see what Sheepdog wrote about himself and a link to all his posts on the forum.

www.bogleheads.org/forum/memberlist.php ... file&u=465
alpine_boglehead

Post by alpine_boglehead »

I can't believe I am reading this.

Sorry to hear that, rest in peace.
aj44 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:59 pm Enjoyed reading his posts for years, during any kind of market turmoil reading his Great Recession thread really helped with staying the course.
RIP
Me too, if/when any major economic troubles should ever occur again (they will!), I'll go back to that thread.
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

It’s great seeing these tributes. What a legacy Sheepdog has left here 🙏
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
renata

Post by renata »

Rest in peace dear Sheepdog. So sad.....
goodenyou
Location: Skating to Where the Puck is Going to Be..or on the golf course

Post by goodenyou »

RIP Sheepdog. You have left a great legacy here on Bogleheads.org. As a Member here for 10+ years, I have always appreciated your insights.

I hope his family members are aware of this site, this thread and the tribute to his legacy on Bogleheads.

You take with you what you have given away.
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" | “At 50, everyone has the face he deserves”
Harry Livermore

Post by Harry Livermore »

Sad to hear. I really enjoyed his posts; his kindness and humanity showed.
Cheers
canadianbacon

Post by canadianbacon »

As much as it is possible to tell from a message board, he seemed like a kind individual. RIP.
Bulls make money, bears make money, pigs get slaughtered.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Miriam2 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:09 am If you go to the Bogleheads member profile for Sheepdog, you will see what Sheepdog wrote about himself and a link to all his posts on the forum.

www.bogleheads.org/forum/memberlist.php ... file&u=465
Thank you, Miriam, for the tribute to Sheepdog. I was away from the Forum for a few days and almost missed it.

Sheepdog was an emotional and financial role model. I will miss him,

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Oh Sheepdog :( Never heard a negative word out of him here. Always humble and helpful in his responses. A rare quality to possess.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

spammagnet wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:33 pm
ResearchMed wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:28 am I strongly agree with removing the obituary, or at the least, editing it in a fresh text copy to eliminate most of the personal, possibly identifying details. Many of those details would be those that the person purposefully did not include in his posts. Deleting those would pretty much obviate much of the reason to want to share the full obituary listing.
If it were posted with redactions it would be very easy to find the source online by searching for the unredacted text, thereby exposing the private information that was redacted.
I am not sure why it was removed since it is easy to find but perhaps others aren't as good with web searches as I am.
I found it with a quick google search so it's not like it's a secret (he signed his first name, gave his age, gave his state, and then there is the word "Sheepdog" - put those items in google with the word "obituary" and there is only one possibility).

In any case - sounds like he had a productive and happy life. RIP.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Sheepdog's post from a forum thread last Dec. 3, 2021 -

Re: The risk of DEATH ---- under-discussed on this forum? viewtopic.php?t=363766&start=200#p6363273

"Well, nothing to discuss. I have reached 88, have money left over, have a great spouse. The kids like us. The dogs and cats appreciate us. When it comes it comes.

Talk to you later. We are going out shopping in a few minutes. then eat out. Tomorrow we will eat out again and attend a symphony. What more should I discuss?
8-)
Woof Woof"
Zhuang

Post by Zhuang »

SmileyFace wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:54 am
spammagnet wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:33 pm
ResearchMed wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:28 am I strongly agree with removing the obituary, or at the least, editing it in a fresh text copy to eliminate most of the personal, possibly identifying details. Many of those details would be those that the person purposefully did not include in his posts. Deleting those would pretty much obviate much of the reason to want to share the full obituary listing.
If it were posted with redactions it would be very easy to find the source online by searching for the unredacted text, thereby exposing the private information that was redacted.
I am not sure why it was removed since it is easy to find but perhaps others aren't as good with web searches as I am.
I found it with a quick google search so it's not like it's a secret (he signed his first name, gave his age, gave his state, and then there is the word "Sheepdog" - put those items in google with the word "obituary" and there is only one possibility).

In any case - sounds like he had a productive and happy life. RIP.
Thank YOU! What a great life he lived!
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Here’s a good post from Sheepdog from 2009: Words to Live By
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

Miriam2 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:10 am
White Coat Investor wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:22 am Rest in peace. Life marches on. Even in his passing, Sheepdog has taught us another lesson. Retirements are not always 30 years long and none of us get out alive. . . .
How true - here is one of Sheepdog's posts about life expectancy and financial plans -

Per CDC: US life expectancy declined 1.5 years in 2020 - www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 5#p6398912
Sheepdog wrote: Dec. 22, 2021
Remember that no one is the average person. Everyone is special...an individual
In 1960 (my age 27 then) average men had a life expectancy of 66.6 years.
In 1998 (my age 65 then) average life expectancy was up to 76.7 years.

Well, I have reached 88.25 years, have lived past my earlier life expectancy, and still counting.

Don't make your financial plans on the average. You aren't likely to be average. Right?
His thread on "I can't believe I am thinking this" in 2008 was one of the greatest threads here... maybe *the* greatest thread, because it gets at the nub of the issue - willingness and ability to take risk.

All that is left of you is what people remember of you.

He's left us with that legacy. We were blessed to have "known" him, even in only a virtual sense.
Last edited by Valuethinker on Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 »

One of the great Bogleheads contributors. No doubt he improved the lives of hundreds if not thousands with his wise advice over the decades. He will be greatly missed. Rest in peace Sheepdog, a life well-lived.
Last edited by BigFoot48 on Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 18-time loser
kupuna

Post by kupuna »

Rest in peace Sheepdog.

The mortality rate continues to be 100% but Sheepdog played his part well.

Thanks for all the posts with wisdom.
"I can calculate the motions of the heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people." Sir Isaac Newton
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

RIP Sheepdog.

You will be missed.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Miriam2 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:11 pm Sheepdog's post from a forum thread last Dec. 3, 2021 -

Re: The risk of DEATH ---- under-discussed on this forum? viewtopic.php?t=363766&start=200#p6363273

"Well, nothing to discuss. I have reached 88, have money left over, have a great spouse. The kids like us. The dogs and cats appreciate us. When it comes it comes.

Talk to you later. We are going out shopping in a few minutes. then eat out. Tomorrow we will eat out again and attend a symphony. What more should I discuss?
8-)
Woof Woof"
:sharebeer
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
Gd_Enf_56

Post by Gd_Enf_56 »

Yes, it's sad to hear of Sheepdog passing. His "keeping it real" post and others allowed for insights on SORR and other things that could go haywire leading up and into retirement. Sheepdog's posts on spending while in retirement were very eye-opening and informative as well.
While I never met him in person, he seemed like a good person with a good heart.
Glad I was able to thank him (via PM) while he was alive and receive an acknowledgment.

Cheers to his memory.
:sharebeer
Allan

Post by Allan »

So sorry to hear, I once exchanged several PM with him about......Sheepdogs!. We had one at the time and we discussed our love for that breed of dog. A very nice person, he will be missed.
Electrum

Post by Electrum »

Thank you for letting us know, Miriam.
He was a great contributor to the forum, and I hope that his family will know how we feel at the news of his passing.

RIP dear Sheepdog,
Woof Woof.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Thumbing through The Bogleheads Guide to Retirement Planning, I noticed the forum quotes in the back of the book included a couple from Sheepdog.

RIP kind sir.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Herekittykitty

Post by Herekittykitty »

I loved reading his posts and learned much from them. He seemed a model of graceful retirement and aging.

His presence here will be greatly missed. Rest in peace, sir.
I don't know anything.
DoTheMath

Post by DoTheMath »

He will be missed by many.
“I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains...” -- John Muir
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Woof Woof
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

It seems that he did not use long-term care. Anyone can confirm or deny this?
Padlin

Post by Padlin »

I’ve always skimmed threads looking for posts from those I’ve learned to trust, been reading Sheepdogs since Morningstar days.

RIP, you are missed.
Regards | Bob
fruitnfibre

Post by fruitnfibre »

Very sorry to hear of sheepdog’s passing. He made countless contributions that helped so many of us and brought a great deal of humanity to this forum

Rest in peace Jim

Woof Woof
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:09 pm Sorry to have heard this news.

Jim was an expert in driveway sealing from his past career in paint manufacturing which he freely shared with the forum and with me via private message. .

Yes - and he had such a fun sense of humor about life which we could see in his posts and words, including for example, his "plop test" to determine if your asphalt driveway sealer is the proper consistency :D
Sheepdog wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:05 pm
Miriam2 wrote:
Sheepdog wrote:My company sold our products to professional driveway sealer companies and they were known to water them down as much as 50%.
That's really distressing!
How do we know if they are doing this? Is the sealer thinner - how thin would a high quality sealer be? Do we see them adding water to their buckets?
You won't know if they water it down unless YOU purchase the sealer and watch them open the pails and watch them apply it. Many of these guys you cannot trust. They make money by watering it down. You must supervise.
Is it thinner when the product is watered down? Yes. Quality sealers usually have body to them and sort of "plop" when you pour it onto the asphalt.
Now, that's scientific, isn't it? plop?
www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 8#p2467923
printer86

Post by printer86 »

I'm finally finding this thread on Christmas day. Sheepdog taught us a valuable lesson about managing our retirement. He did it better than most authors could. He spoke about the emotional side of it. Sheepdog, thank you for your wisdom and willingness to share your journey. Woof Woof!
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

printer86 wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 1:23 pm I'm finally finding this thread on Christmas day. Sheepdog taught us a valuable lesson about managing our retirement. He did it better than most authors could. He spoke about the emotional side of it. Sheepdog, thank you for your wisdom and willingness to share your journey. Woof Woof!
+1
Well said.
So very true.

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
steadyosmosis

Post by steadyosmosis »

Sheepdog was one of my favorite educators.
I do miss him, and that great avatar.
Age<59.5. Early-retired. AA ~55/45. Taxable account, Roth IRA, HSA...all are 100% equities. 100% of fixed income is in tIRA. I spend from taxable and re-balance in tIRA.
JakeyLee
Location: From sea to shining sea. But mostly the south west.

Post by JakeyLee »

Late as usual.. I’m feeling shock, and… well.. SHOCK. I fully understand that none of us get out of this mess alive… but Sheepdog was the one that encouraged me to participate and ask questions. I imagine there’s a world where Sheepdog is resting peacefully . Yeah… that’s where I want to live.
“On balance, the financial system subtracts value from society” | -John Bogle