Worried about Avantis advertisement here

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
Poe22

Worried about Avantis advertisement here

Post by Poe22 »

[2022 thread bumped in 2023 --admin LadyGeek]

I've seen countless posts pointing out that small cap value investing with Avantis funds is superior to a classic 3-fund portfolio. I'm seriously worried about the financial industry infiltrating this forum.
whodidntante

Re: Worried about Avantis advertisement here

Post by whodidntante »

What if small-cap value investing is a rational thing for some people to do? Would that still worry you?
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

In the domestic stock small-cap value space, I own VBR and AVUV. Let me put in a plug for AVUV in this thread. Thanks!

Full disclosure: I also own shares of VTI, VEA, VEU, VSS, and BND. I do not own any VTIAX, but have in the past. Also assume I own some other things. I am happy to advertise any of these funds/ETFs.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

What are you proposing, a ban on taking about anything other than three fund market cap weighted portfolios? So a ban also on Vanguard active funds such as Windsor II, Wellington, PRIMECAP, and Health Care that are beloved by some? Extend the ban to I-Bonds because they aren't a total market bond fund?

I don't see "advertising" for Avantis any more than there is advertisement for Vanguard or Fidelity or Toyota or Tesla.

Be open to learning. Be a critical thinker. Make a decision that is right for you. Don't assume what is right for you is what's right for someone else.
roth evangelist

Post by roth evangelist »

Weird thing to keep one up at night. By most accounts of the evidence small value is a great strategy for long-term investors who can stick with it. It's not crypto.
the_wiki

Post by the_wiki »

It is kind of interesting how often Avantis is mentioned here compared to their trading volume.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

You have got to be kidding.
er999

Post by er999 »

livesoft wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:31 pm In the domestic stock small-cap value space, I own VBR and AVUV. Let me put in a plug for AVUV in this thread. Thanks!

Livesoft:

Do you think AVUV is better than VBR? I put 10% of my portfolio in VBR last year for my small cap value tilt. It’s all in tax deferred so easy to switch (I wish I bought AVUV as it has outperformed VBR this year). My reason for buying VBR was a lower expense ratio and vanguard having a longer track record. I wasn’t sure what avantis would be like in 20 years and vanguard seemed more reliable
Apathizer

Post by Apathizer »

er999 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:04 pm
livesoft wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:31 pm In the domestic stock small-cap value space, I own VBR and AVUV. Let me put in a plug for AVUV in this thread. Thanks!

Livesoft:

Do you think AVUV is better than VBR? I put 10% of my portfolio in VBR last year for my small cap value tilt. It’s all in tax deferred so easy to switch (I wish I bought AVUV as it has outperformed VBR this year). My reason for buying VBR was a lower expense ratio and vanguard having a longer track record. I wasn’t sure what avantis would be like in 20 years and vanguard seemed more reliable
While it doesn't have much history, so far AVUV performance has been superior. I don't have time to compare them on portfolio visualizer right now, but that's been done in other threads.
ROTH: 50% AVGE, 10% DFAX, 40% BNDW. Taxable: 50% BNDW, 40% AVGE, 10% DFAX.
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

This is a baseless assertion. They run a low-cost set of ETFs and mutual funds that do a good job of tracking the value and size premiums.

That is all.

I invest in avantis because I think they have good value ETFs, not because I am paid to do so
Crom laughs at your Four Winds
brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston »

er999 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:04 pm

Livesoft:

Not Livesoft, but ...

Avantis funds are more actively managed (80% screened, maybe 20% human tweeked) than VBR so they can change with the micro changes in the market. They have a bit of automated turnover every day. So far they have had a good track record.

During a long bull run it's not a big difference but I moved over to AVUV in tax-advantaged around February just to get a bit more umph during the current slow down and I have not been disappointed. I like the company enough that I've started slowly changing some of my international over.
70% AVGE | 20% FXNAX | 10% T-Bill/Muni
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

Additionally, the “financial industry” has already been actively participating on the forum for years giving advice to folks here on taxes, investing, insurance etc. many recommend simple 3-fund portfolios for the average investors, and encourage those who deviate to carefully consider the trade offs. We should welcome some expertise
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

stan1 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:34 pm What are you proposing, a ban on taking about anything other than three fund market cap weighted portfolios? So a ban also on Vanguard active funds such as Windsor II, Wellington, PRIMECAP, and Health Care that are beloved by some? Extend the ban to I-Bonds because they aren't a total market bond fund?

I don't see "advertising" for Avantis any more than there is advertisement for Vanguard or Fidelity or Toyota or Tesla.

Be open to learning. Be a critical thinker. Make a decision that is right for you. Don't assume what is right for you is what's right for someone else.
+1

And what about those TurboTax and H&R Block advertisements posts?! We should all be using FreetaxUSA :-)
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

er999 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:04 pmDo you think AVUV is better than VBR? [...]
AVUV seems to be better for me because I like to buy and sell shares of things that move a significant percentage in price in a single day. The historical record shows that the price of AVUV has moved more in a single day than the price of VBR on those same days which is important for the trading algorithm that I use.

I would not recommend buying and holding AVUV. While I never completely sell all my shares of AVUV, I have no problems making trades. In one of my tax-advantaged accounts I have sold shares of AVUV on at least 11 days so far in 2022 and it looks like I bought on 15 days so far in 2022.

And now I've made the OP (if they are still reading this thread) worried about Market Timing activities.
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

And Toyota Camry promotion!

/s
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston »

livesoft wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:29 pm
er999 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:04 pmDo you think AVUV is better than VBR? [...]
AVUV seems to be better for me because I like to buy and sell shares of things that move a significant percentage in price in a single day. The historical record shows that the price of AVUV has moved more in a single day than the price of VBR on those same days which is important for the trading algorithm that I use.

I would not recommend buying and holding AVUV. While I never completely sell all my shares of AVUV, I have no problems making trades. In one of my tax-advantaged accounts I have sold shares of AVUV on at least 11 days so far in 2022 and it looks like I bought on 15 days so far in 2022.

And now I've made the OP (if they are still reading this thread) worried about Market Timing activities.
Holy Cats Batman!

I thought I was crazy with 6 buy days and 1 sell day ...
70% AVGE | 20% FXNAX | 10% T-Bill/Muni
drumboy256

Post by drumboy256 »

Nate79 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:00 pm You have got to be kidding.
yeah I second this... and I was just thinking about creating an Avantis Mega thread... now I think I have to. :sharebeer
Promise is one thing. Fulfilling that promise is quite another. - Sir Alex Ferguson | 20% IVV / 40% IBIT / 20% IXUS / 20% VGLT + chill
er999

Post by er999 »

Not the OP, but I'm the one you were replying to and interested in your thinking. I am using my small cap value holding as only a buy and hold strategy (with annual or every 2 year rebalancing for a 20-30 year holding period, possibility might simplify in retirement that is why not a 50 year holding period). Do you recommend VBR over AVUV as part of a buy and hold small cap value tilt strategy?
Makefile

Post by Makefile »

Perhaps the OP is missing the context of the long running interest in DFA funds and Avantis being seen as "DFA but without needing an advisor"? (although DFA is also launching ETFs)
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Poe22 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:21 pm I've seen countless posts pointing out that small cap value investing with Avantis funds is superior to a classic 3-fund portfolio. I'm seriously worried about the financial industry infiltrating this forum.
Poe22:

The "classic 3-fund portfolio" can stand on its own.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "There may be better investment strategies than owning just three broad-based index funds but the number of strategies that are worse is infinite."
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Apathizer

Post by Apathizer »

drumboy256 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:42 pm
Nate79 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:00 pm You have got to be kidding.
yeah I second this... and I was just thinking about creating an Avantis Mega thread... now I think I have to. :sharebeer
Isn't there already one? There's a thread titled Avantis what's so special about them? I think we can treat that as a general Avantis discussion thread.
ROTH: 50% AVGE, 10% DFAX, 40% BNDW. Taxable: 50% BNDW, 40% AVGE, 10% DFAX.
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

er999 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:46 pm

Not the OP, but I'm the one you were replying to and interested in your thinking. I am using my small cap value holding as only a buy and hold strategy (with annual or every 2 year rebalancing for a 20-30 year holding period, possibility might simplify in retirement that is why not a 50 year holding period). Do you recommend VBR over AVUV as part of a buy and hold small cap value tilt strategy?
I use AVUV, but I use 5% rebalancing bands and also somewhat rebalance with new contributions
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

er999 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:46 pmNot the OP, but I'm the one you were replying to and interested in your thinking. I am using my small cap value holding as only a buy and hold strategy (with annual or every 2 year rebalancing for a 20-30 year holding period, possibility might simplify in retirement that is why not a 50 year holding period). Do you recommend VBR over AVUV as part of a buy and hold small cap value tilt strategy?
I make no recommendations in that regard. You may wish to own both and see what happens.

I last bought shares of VBR in 2009. All of those shares are earmarked by me to be given away to our Donor-Advised Fund. In the meantime, we have the quarterly dividends sent to our checking account for expenses. You will note that AVUV did not exist in 2009.
JSPECO9

Post by JSPECO9 »

I'm more worried about how dogmatic this forum is.

Believe me, the last of my worries is companies like Wellington, DFA and Avantis gaining AUM. If anything, that increases my confidence in market efficiency.
nhs76

Post by nhs76 »

Never a bad idea to maintain a healthy skepticism, especially if a newly recommended product is flouting your Bayesian priors.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The OP's concern is noted, but the question is not actionable as an investor (not investing related). This thread is now in the Forum Issues and Administration forum (concern about forum influence).

As noted many times over, contrary opinions are welcome - as long as they are done in a civil manner. :wink: Feel free to mention any and all funds.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

This is a tuff crowd, don’t worry too much!

Tilting may be appropriate and is certainly accepted among our peers. I did a small cap tilt years ago that I still own since it is in taxable and has done well. I am not ready to pay taxes on the gains.

I also had international broke up in to separate funds, but tax loss harvested out of that.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
Gort

Post by Gort »

Poe22 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:21 pm I've seen countless posts pointing out that small cap value investing with Avantis funds is superior to a classic 3-fund portfolio. I'm seriously worried about the financial industry infiltrating this forum.
I wouldn't worry about it until it reaches 102 pages like the now closed GameStop mega-thread. :sharebeer
JSPECO9

Post by JSPECO9 »

OP, considering that Bogle was against ex-US, do you worry about how much talk about international investing there is here?
02nz

Post by 02nz »

What about the posts touting Vanguard, Subarus, and Speed Queen washing machines? :happy
TheDDC

Post by TheDDC »

I rotated out of growth and into value about a month ago, but I did not get into small cap value specifically. I went with VVIAX (Vanguard Value Index). I haven't looked at moving any funds out of Vanguard and I choose not to own ETFs. I am curious why small caps are so appealing specifically?

Keep in mind some here may also call this whole discussion "performance chasing", which is fair, but we also have quite a few index investors here who I believe aren't 100% 3-fund invested.

-TheDDC
Rules to wealth building: 75-80% VTSAX piled high and deep, 20-25% VTIAX, 0% given away to banks.
Ed 2

Post by Ed 2 »

Why to worry? It shell pass. Remember countless crypto posts here? Or IBonds? Or Cash is King? Most of us think that we are smarter than anyone else. Eventually three funds portfolio ends up on the top. Jack Boggle would say something similar, I guess. Not to worry , just stay the course and ignore the noise.
Good day,Ed
"The fund industry doesn't have a lot of heroes, but he (Bogle) is one of them," Russ Kinnel
squirrel1963

Post by squirrel1963 »

A 3-fund portfolio is a great portfolio for most investors, but that doesn't mean it's the only way to invest. Finance is personal, everybody's situation is different.

Some people love small cap, personally I like dividends because I am retired, I have muni funds and only buy treasuries -- I used to buy total bond market but no longer do because I only take risk on the equity side.

Regrettably the US government doesn't pay me to express my love for treasuries, and neither does Blackrock for buying MUB. That's too bad.

Also, if we truly were to follow Jack Bogle's advice we'd only need two funds, not three.
LMP | Liability Matching Portfolio | safe portfolio: TIPS ladder + I-bonds + Treasuries | risky portfolio: US stocks / US REIT / International stocks
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

squirrel1963 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:58 pm A 3-fund portfolio is a great portfolio for most investors, but that doesn't mean it's the only way to invest. Finance is personal, everybody's situation is different.

Some people love small cap, personally I like dividends because I am retired, I have muni funds and only buy treasuries -- I used to buy total bond market but no longer do because I only take risk on the equity side.

Regrettably the US government doesn't pay me to express my love for treasuries, and neither does Blackrock for buying MUB. That's too bad.

Also, if we truly were to follow Jack Bogle's advice we'd only need two funds, not three.
Right! And that would be funds he owned -- Balanced Index and Wellington funds, right? :-)
JSPECO9

Post by JSPECO9 »

Ed 2 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:49 pm Why to worry? It shell pass. Remember countless crypto posts here? Or IBonds? Or Cash is King? Most of us think that we are smarter than anyone else. Eventually three funds portfolio ends up on the top. Jack Boggle would say something similar, I guess. Not to worry , just stay the course and ignore the noise.
Good day,Ed
Bogle owned more actively managed funds than he did international funds (0).
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

squirrel1963 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:58 pm Also, if we truly were to follow Jack Bogle's advice we'd only need two funds, not three.
His advice varied from time-to-time so it's really not possible to say that - and we can't ask for his current advice now, of course.
squirrel1963

Post by squirrel1963 »

tibbitts wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:08 pm
squirrel1963 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:58 pm Also, if we truly were to follow Jack Bogle's advice we'd only need two funds, not three.
His advice varied from time-to-time so it's really not possible to say that - and we can't ask for his current advice now, of course.
That is true. He was very much against international stocks, but later he changed his mind.

Don't get me wrong though, I have great admiration for Jack Bogle and regret very much his passing. He and Vanguard made good investing practices possible for millions of people, including myself.
LMP | Liability Matching Portfolio | safe portfolio: TIPS ladder + I-bonds + Treasuries | risky portfolio: US stocks / US REIT / International stocks
Bama12

Post by Bama12 »

Avantis All Equity Markets-AVGE
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

If you see a posting which you believe violates the forum rules, notably
Company representatives must identify themselves and may only post on current topics to correct factual errors or directly answer unresolved technical questions about their products or services,
report it by clicking the little exclamation point icon.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

I have worked in the financial industry twice: first as an Accountant for the back office of a Regional Bank's brokerage operations and the second time as an assistant to a local Financial Advisor. The first job lasted just over 2 1/2 years and the second job was mostly part-time and lasted just over 2 years. I don't work for American Century Investments but I have had investments there since 1984. I do not own any Avantis or Dimensional Fund Advisor products. So I have hardly infiltrated the forum.

I do have an interest in factor investing and DFA was built upon the academic research behind this. I have been very interested in the Avantis story, the subsidiary of American Century Investments has celebrated the 3rd anniversary of its inception. A big reason for the interest in Avantis is that I have had an interest in owning DFA mutual funds for years but you needed an Advisor to access. DFA has launched a full suite of ETF products, so individuals can now invest directly. So now DFA and Avantis are competing for the same factor investors, we all know that competition is good.

The discussions regarding factor investing have been pretty lively and there is interest here in Avantis. Those of us who are factor investors are the minority here. From participating in many threads on these topics, I see no evidence of company representatives pushing their products here. My guess is that a huge number of financial professionals are unaware of the existence of this forum. Most everyone in the industry is well aware of Vanguard and the concept of passive investing through index funds.

Also want to point out that there are big threads regarding Fidelity and Schwab brokerage services. Many fund companies and brokerage firms have been discussed here. I could just as easily wonder if Fidelity and Schwab employees have secretly been advertising here but I see no evidence of that either.

Bill Bernstein, Rick Ferri and Allan Roth post here, it is known they are Financial Advisors but I never thought that they were here to advertise their services. So not much to worry about here. There were a couple folks that tried, but when it came obvious that they were industry shills, the Mods shut them down pretty quickly. Several other people here who are Financial Advisor or have other roles in the Financial industry post here but they disclose this.
A fool and his money are good for business.
helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone »

stan1 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:34 pm What are you proposing, a ban on taking about anything other than three fund market cap weighted portfolios? So a ban also on Vanguard active funds such as Windsor II, Wellington, PRIMECAP, and Health Care that are beloved by some? Extend the ban to I-Bonds because they aren't a total market bond fund?

your forgot Schwab, Mazda CX-5, Mazda Miata, Treasurer Direct and a few others I can’t think of right now.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

Ha ha. We've all been talking about factor investing since before this forum was founded. Before the 3-fund portfolio became "classic" even.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

White Coat Investor wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:23 am
Ha ha. We've all been talking about factor investing since before this forum was founded. Before the 3-fund portfolio became "classic" even.
But doesn’t this thread mess with your theory that you can identify the era of a BH post by the topic? SCV is out-of-place in the 2020s. :wink:
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
Harmanic

Post by Harmanic »

Here are some of the company names currently being discussed on the BH home page:

SpaceX
Vanguard
Tesla
Amazon
Netflix
Johnson and Johnson
Kenvue
Bank of America
Merrill Edge
Fidelity
Avantis
Morgan Stanley
Verizon Wireless
American Century
The question isn't at what age I want to retire, it's at what income. | - George Foreman
junior

Post by junior »

I'm wondering where the idea that the 3 fund portolio is "classic" came from?
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

junior wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:40 pm I'm wondering where the idea that the 3 fund portfolio is "classic" came from?
Possibly from the Bogleheads investment philosophy?

There's always (well, since I started following it circa 2007) been an ideological split in this forum between total-market investors and factor tilters. It mirrors the two firms, Vanguard and DFA, who are the firms most institutionally identified with passive investing. As far as John C. Bogle goes, it is pretty objectively clear that he favored total market indexing:
My second concern is that the original idea of the index fund—own the entire U.S. stock market, own it at low cost, hang on to it forever—has been, to put it bluntly, bastardized.
And that he was deeply skeptical about factor tilting, as presented in detail in The Telltale Chart.

Since he was not enthusiastic about foreign stocks, he himself did not talk about the three-fund portfolio. He implicitly recommended a two-fund portfolio, though; for example, here:
There are an infinite number of strategies worse than this one: Commit, over a period of a few years, half of your assets to a stock index fund and half to a bond index fund. Ignore interim fluctuations in their net asset values. Hold your positions for as long as you live, subject only to infrequent and marginal adjustments as your circumstances change. When there are multiple solutions to a problem, choose the simplest one.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
folkher0

Post by folkher0 »

This is an old, dead thread. Why did you bump it?
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

folkher0 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:30 pm
No thread is ever dead. That's the fun thing about a forum. You can take long breaks and then resume a conversation. I was doing some research on Avantis is how I found the thread and couldn't resist commenting.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
Sclwood

Post by Sclwood »

Thanks Nisiprius! For the link to The Telltale Chart.
And also to OP for bringing up concerns re frequent discussions here of Avantis. I’m not worried about invasion by covert salespeople, rather about my tendency to want to Slice and Dice. I have been re-reading Merriman’s website and thinking seriously about how much of my IRA stock portion I should convert from LCB to SCV, since even though I am now retired at 66 and relatively well-off, I still feel compelled to try to maximize my financial situation, ie, beat the market! Almost all of my stock component has been in VOO or VTSAX for decades (thanks to the Bogleheads). I’m not financially schooled, but I did the comparison of Meriiman’s SCV weighted plan (50/50 LCB/SCV which is hugely successful over 1970-2022) during the first half compared to the second half of his chart, and saw that much of the advantage there came from the early success decades. Rob Berger also discussed this recently on his YT channel.
Not to say that it couldn’t be time again - SCV seems like it’s due for a rebound, right? And with so much Total market/SP500, I’m overweighted in tech and large cap, shouldn’t I buy SCV funds now? In other words, time the market …
The Telltale Chart talk was a great tonic for my ”enthusiasm”. I’ll think a bit more before moving my hard-earned funds from the broad market.
donaldfair71

Post by donaldfair71 »

White Coat Investor wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:11 am
folkher0 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:30 pm
No thread is ever dead. That's the fun thing about a forum. You can take long breaks and then resume a conversation. I was doing some research on Avantis is how I found the thread and couldn't resist commenting.
I appreciate that you did, I missed it the first time around.