IRS POA forms - how long do they take and how to check?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
gavinsiu

IRS POA forms - how long do they take and how to check?

Post by gavinsiu »

I filed a POA for my mom's account over a week ago. I google and most people say that it typically take over 12 days or so. What happens when you file the POA form with the IRS. Do the POA request appear on the tax payers online account with a pending status? What happens if they discovered an error, do they just mail the form back or do they note that in the online account? I was wondering if there is a way to check on the processing status without waiting hours for a IRS operator.
Topic Author
gavinsiu

Re: IRS POA forms - how long do they take and how to check?

Post by gavinsiu »

Just a follow up to this.

1. In Nov 2022, I submitted a form 2848 on behalf of my mom to have POA over her taxes. The form was submitted online using the link https://www.irs.gov/submit-power-of-att ... orizations. An email was sent to my moms email indicating that an POA has been submitted.
2. In Jan 2023, my mom received anoitce that the POA has failed because the form failed to list the relationship of the person seeking authorziation, so the Form 2848 was submitted again.
3. In Feb 2023, I received a noice CP547 indicating that the POA has been processed. The letter contains a CAF number, which I am supposed to use as a verification with the IRS. The letter also suggest keeping a copy of the letter because the IRS might request it. The IRS did not send any notification to my mom.

Note that there is a section for third party authorization if you log into your IRS.gov account. However, the POA authorization did not show up there or any part of the online account. In case you have submitted a POA online, I would like to let you know that you cannot see the status of your submission there.