Best EV for around $50k, or RAV4 Prime???

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
JudgeLess

Re: Best EV for around $50k?

Post by JudgeLess »

I have been going through the review and selection process for a new ev for the last 3 weeks. For those who are considering a purchase of some vehicles discussed in this thread, you should know that availability is definitely an issue.

I narrowed my choice down to Hyundai Ioniq 5, Tesla model 3, and the Chevy Bolt EUV. I called 4 Hyundai dealers in my large metro area, and none had any to even look at or test drive, and they did not know when they would receive any because they were on allocation. If you check Ioniq 5 forums, you will find discussions of strategies for how to find one, and some dealers charging $2-5k over MSRP, although some apparently are selling without markups.

When I checked area dealer inventory for Chevy Bolt EUV with the trim I wanted, the ones that showed available, or in transit to the dealers, were pre-sold. There were some 2022 models that had just completed the battery replacement(GM stopped selling them for awhile because of battery problems), but those had been sitting on dealer lots for 6 months to a year awaiting the replacement.

Lead time for the Tesla appeared to be about 6 weeks to 2 months.

I have placed an order for the Chevy Bolt EUV and the sales person said it would likely be at least 8 weeks. I chose the Bolt because it was $17-20k less than the other choices, and I will be driving it primarily in the metro area, and we have another larger car for longer road trips.

I have a friend who purchased a Polestar 2 and he has been very pleased.
Pdxnative

Post by Pdxnative »

If you liked the XC40 you really should look at a polestar 2. Same platform and somewhat similar feel. I liked driving it more than the XC40.

If you can find a 2023 ID.4 it would qualify for the tax credit this year as they’re made in TN. Dealers might still be marking them up though, probably depends on the region and dealer. Supply should be rapidly increasing so dealers might be worried about oversupply.
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

I purchased my Ioniq5 in April while it was still available for the $7500 Federal tax credit. Now have about 6k miles on it, about 50/50 in town and over the road. I also get some time in a Tesla 3 (nephew owns one and we switch off from time to time, MUCH better cargo capacity on the Hyundai) so some comparisons:

Tesla is a tech company making cars, Hyundai is a car company utilizing lots of tech., The differences between the two vehicles reflect their background. Tesla's tech is better but it rides like a go cart, very stiff, very "darty", low seating position, NVH is substandard.
Hyundai is more "conventional" (buttons available for volume, climate control, etc) much better quality control on body parts, upright seating position, better cargo space, heads-up display (Limited) along with no walk away unlock, need to press a button to start (is this an issue?)

The choice was easy for me and while similar to the Kia EV6 the body of the Ioniq5 makes entry and exit MUCH easier, especially if you are putting kids into car seats. On my over the road trips I used the free (for two years) Electrify America charging, really does do 10-80% in 20 minutes or so (temperature dependent).
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
cmr79

Post by cmr79 »

If you choose a vehicle and are willing to wait, you can get just about anything at MSRP if you order. I guess you pay either way...either in cash today, or in a 3-12 month delay!
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

Pdxnative wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:27 pm If you can find a 2023 ID.4 it would qualify for the tax credit this year as they’re made in TN. Dealers might still be marking them up though, probably depends on the region and dealer. Supply should be rapidly increasing so dealers might be worried about oversupply.
Just to underscore your comment, it is eligible THIS year but uncertain about after 1/1/23 as the battery likely does not make the cut.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
jose55

Post by jose55 »

Still looking for our 1st EV, like OP we have limited garage space. From all my reading I'm most interested in (previously mentioned) Kia Niro EV. Slightly smaller than most models mentioned here, but reported to be comfortable, easy in & out, w/ higher seating position, and still good cargo capability. Again for that garage space, the top trim has auto-folding mirrors when you park.

One of the few Consumer Reports knocks was higher price than it's class, but will be le$$ than most (bigger) models in this thread. I'm hoping demand will be reduced next year (recession?) to help w/ price, availability & possibly new rebate?
CC1E

Post by CC1E »

MMiroir wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:33 am
BicycleBuiltForTwo wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:30 pm You’ll enjoy going with an EV. They are really fun to drive.

I have a Tesla Model 3. It is comfortable and fun to drive. No regrets. Also no idea if it will last 10+ years, although I haven’t had reliability issues so far.
Fun to drive compared to what? All of these cars are fairly boring snooze-fests including the Tesla.

Unless you are prepared to charge at home 100% of the time and do not intend to use the EV for any trip that require charging, I would 100% go with the Tesla.
Tesla doesn’t make a car that isn’t fun to drive. Even the standard range Model 3 isn’t bad. The performance versions are beasts.
clipso1

Post by clipso1 »

Tesla :happy
Pdxnative

Post by Pdxnative »

jose55 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:34 pm Still looking for our 1st EV, like OP we have limited garage space. From all my reading I'm most interested in (previously mentioned) Kia Niro EV. Slightly smaller than most models mentioned here, but reported to be comfortable, easy in & out, w/ higher seating position, and still good cargo capability. Again for that garage space, the top trim has auto-folding mirrors when you park.

One of the few Consumer Reports knocks was higher price than it's class, but will be le$$ than most (bigger) models in this thread. I'm hoping demand will be reduced next year (recession?) to help w/ price, availability & possibly new rebate?
If you’re looking at the Kia you might want to check out the Leaf. The seating position is or can be pretty high and there’s a lot of headroom. Nissan’s driver assist features are good and this is a car with a pretty good history, no surprises. It’s made in NA so good for the federal tax credit this year, uncertain next year. Also plenty of used around. The Achilles heel would be the fast charging where it’s a few steps behind in terms of speed. But if you aren’t road tripping much or at all then that won’t matter.
krafty81

Post by krafty81 »

I do love my Mach E Premium. It has been reliable. Software a little buggy but gets fixed via OTA's which happen often. Ride a bit still but no big deal.
tikihut guy

Post by tikihut guy »

I am considering Tesla "Y", not the Tesla 3, because of the seat height.

Research suggests that cars designed from the ground up as EV's tend to be the better design and investment, rather than electrified models.

I have a few qualms about getting into an EV, as the design direction [software and hardware] seem to be generally unsettled and evolving. Charging networks have improved, but tales about frustrations with charging locations and "disabled" chargers is dismaying.

A friend has a Tesla 3 Long Range which relieved a lot of his stress on a long, daily, freeway commute. He's very glad he spent the money for this extra. He does a lot of driving to various sites for work. He has not had any problems with the car, though has only owned it for about six months.

Having been very big Honda and Toyota fan [currently have a hard working Prius], their hybrids remain appealing. For me, they may be a good alternative choice while the EV design direction settles into a broadly-agreed-upon direction.
toomanysidehustles

Post by toomanysidehustles »

livesoft wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:40 pm
JR52 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:36 pm
BicycleBuiltForTwo wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:30 pm
The Muskiness is an issue.
What do you mean by this?
I think they mean that they have been reading about current events. LOL!
Go Tesla! Love him or hate him, the guy knows how to create, run and sell businesses. Not many know Elon moved out of S. Africa at 17 by himself, went into 100K in student loan debt at a Canadian college and started the first maps and directions on the internet.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/PEK7-4W8EHM
spencermartin

Post by spencermartin »

We have a Mach-E GT Performance Edition. Absolutely love it.
just frank

Post by just frank »

I'm on my fourth EV in 8 years, none of them Teslas.

I got a 22 Bolt with the highest trim, bc it was the best thing at my price point (under $40k).

I would go for the EV6 or the Ioniq5 at your price point if I wasn't getting a Model 3. Avoid the Toyota/Subie... it is a first-gen BEV vehicle from them, and has had a lot of problems and poor performance specs for the price.

You should try to test drive some.

Also, if you are worried about DCFC, download the ABRP app and put some of your favorite roadtrips in it. It will find the quickest route/chargers, and will tell you how much time you will spend charging. I think its pretty accurate... you will not be able to beat it. If some of the stops its giving you only have 1-2 stalls, or are very much out of the way... yeah, I might worry. If the stops are all 6-10 stall stops, you will be fine if 1 or 2 of them are offline.

Also, talk to your insurance company. They might charge you more for some models than other with similar MSRP. Also, many Tesla drivers report getting a lot of attitude from other drivers on the road... which goes away when they drive non-Tesla EVs. This presumably varies with location.

My other advice is to adjust your thinking about duration of ownership. The tech is evolving so fast, even if you love the car you get, you will want something better for cheaper in 3-4 years. For this reason I did a 39 mos lease.
delamer

Post by delamer »

We’ve had our XC40 Recharge for about a month.

I like it a lot. We have the top trim, Ultimate, with a 360 camera. I was coming from a Mercedes E-Class (albeit a 2014) so luxury features were important, plus it was the only XC40 available. :wink:

We got it for MSRP. The dealer has 3 C40s sitting in the lot. That’s the sportsback version, and the rear window is very small and angled. I wouldn’t have been comfortable driving it, but only because of that rear. The rest was very nice (Ultimate trim too).

We also test drive an Audi Q4. Very nice and about the same price and features, but that one had a dealer markup of $5,000. I couldn’t justify that.

We’d put a deposit on an Ioniq 5, but the dealer had no idea when it would arrive and didn’t have one to test drive.
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

njdealguy wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:19 pm Not sure how the deals are in today's market but back in April of last year was able to obtain Audi Etron that had about 73k sticker price for around 51.5k after combination of discounts/incentives including federal 7500 tax credit, costco 3k coupon, 8% dealer discount and some manufacturer incentives (no sales tax on evs in my state). Awesome car it's been (only shortcoming I find compared to my Tesla model 3 is it doesn't do autosteering/autopilot)
Wow that sounds like a great deal.

How are the interior and seats of the Audi e-tron compared to the model 3? Which model do you have and how is the range?
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

Post by 64415 »

We have a Mach e premium AWD with the extended range battery. We find the ride and handling comparable to the Mercedes E class we had a few years ago. The interior feels consistent with a $59000 car ($51,500 with the federal tax credit)with very comfortable seats and driving position. We had to wait 10 months for the car, and were considering forfeiting the deposit as we hadn’t even driven the car prior to arriving at the dealer for pick up. We were hooked after driving it for 30 minutes, it is a very well built car.

Watch the video of the Ford AWD engineers testing the Mach E at their winter testing facility in the UP of Michigan. The pride and satisfaction on the engineers faces is very real and very telling.
bwalling

Post by bwalling »

tikihut guy wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:59 pmA friend has a Tesla 3 Long Range which relieved a lot of his stress on a long, daily, freeway commute. He's very glad he spent the money for this extra. He does a lot of driving to various sites for work.
That was a very pleasant, unexpected benefit. On the highway, the car does a useful amount of the work. You're still paying attention, but not having the mental cycles around controlling speed and lane centering winds up being a real benefit over an hour or more of driving. It might seem like nothing because you're still monitoring all the other people and the car itself, but it adds up. I've driven a 3.5 hour trip a few times in since having it in my Tesla and it my wife's X3, and there's a notable difference in how I feel when I arrive.

Not unique to Tesla, as many higher end cars now have adaptive cruise control and lane keeping, but you can definitely arrive less taxed from a longer trip with those features.
Dougiefresh

Post by Dougiefresh »

I would look into the 2023 Niro E, which is going to be showing up in dealerships any day now. Kia has made some major upgrades to this car. It should come in right around your target price. This car is a bit “under the radar”. Consumer Reports rates the 2022 model as one of the best in class. Makes for a great daily driver. It’s a bit smaller ( maybe by about 6 inches in length) than some of the cars you’re looking at. The 2023 got a boost in dimensions, both interior and exterior. It’s far from an “econo” car. Nice interior, good space in front and back seats, the cargo area is acceptable, and the outside body is looking much sexier. For sure it’s bigger than the Bolt EUV . In reading your post, you mentioned that you have a small parking spot. If you purchase the highest trim level you will get remote parking feature, which might come in handy. Safety features galore. Check it out…
pancake19

Post by pancake19 »

i went through this exact thought process and ended up with a mach-e

there are no "clear winners", there are pros and cons of each, and then there is the question of availability

feel free to DM me if you want to ask questions, i'd be happy to discuss and/or give you advice if you give me your key considerations / needs / wants
Flashes1

Post by Flashes1 »

I'd go with the Model 3 or Ford Mach-E depending on if the availability for one of them was significantly longer than the other. I rented a Model 3 and loved it - but I like the unique factor of the Mach-E (don't see as many on the road). The only downside I see to the Mach-E is they haven't been out as long as the Teslas have and thus the reliability is more unknown
desiboy

Post by desiboy »

I have a 2022 Nissan Leaf and love it. But, it's just for around town. Leaf doesn't have liquid cooled battery pack and their fast-charging "standard" is on the way out. So it's harder to make it work on a road trip.

I did have a Y, but sold it for the Leaf when the SO bought an ICE SUV.
evancox10

Re: Best EV for around $50k, or RAV4 Prime???

Post by evancox10 »

SuperSaver wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:11 pm
So..... BASED ON OPINIONS FROM BH'S.... I AM ENTERTAINING THE RAV4 PRIME. IT IS ESSENTIALLY A SLIMMED DOWN VERSION OF THE LEXUS NX

FOR THOSE WHO HAVE PURCHASED THIS, ANY REGRETS? HITS/MISSES? I KNOW IT IS 2X THE FAILURE FACTOR (hybrid and EV), but in real-world... TOYOTA HAS BEEN PRETTY GOOD AT HYBRID QUALITY IN LAST 20 YEARS.

I KNOW AVAILABILITY IS AN ISSUE.
How did you arrive at the RAV4 Prime? Literally no one in the thread recommended it! I’m not not recommended it (no opinions/experience with it), I just find it funny. Is the RAV4 Prime what you had in mind from the beginning?

I am sure reliability will be fine, Toyota has plenty of experience in hybrids. You just miss out on one of the nice things about a full EV, not having to deal with maintenance of the gas engine. In any case it is up to you though!
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

One of my coworkers bought a RAV4 Prime last year. She absolutely loves it. Driving around town she can pretty much run on battery most of the time. When she goes out of town she doesn't have to deal with the issues of finding a working charger and then waiting around for the car to charge up. Just hit a gas station and a few minutes later she has something like 600 miles of range.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

It's been a month since I "ordered" our RAV4 Prime. Hoping to have it by spring and then I can evaluate it. But we like our current ICE RAV4.
dillrob

Post by dillrob »

cmr79 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:48 pm If you choose a vehicle and are willing to wait, you can get just about anything at MSRP if you order. I guess you pay either way...either in cash today, or in a 3-12 month delay!
Is this true for the RAV4 Prime as well?
ShaftoesSpreadsheet

Post by ShaftoesSpreadsheet »

We have a Rav4 Prime, it is AWESOME. Very fast, quiet, rides nice, steering is easy and responsive. Seats are nice, remind me of the old Volvo XC90 captain's chairs. The 40 mile range in EV mode is a good spot to be, wouldn't want less, but probably wouldn't need much more. Last time we got gas, trip meter said 2400 miles. That was my wife going back and forth to work every day never using gas, and only consuming gas on long trips.

One annoying bug - the remaining range estimate is "generous". There is an issue in the way it calculates miles to empty because it is always about 30-50 miles off after recording actual vs what it claimed... With the AC going full blast it does cut into the EV range (20%?). We'll see how it does this winter with heated seats + heater running.

Toyota is putting the exact same PHEV drive train into one of the Lexus models for 20k more. Toyota may be resistant to EVs, but if they ramp up the PHEV platform and plug it into more of their offerings (Highlander, mini van, etc) they are going to have a big winner.

I have reservations on the Chevy Blazer EV and Silverado EV. Also interested in the Chevy Equinox. I took a close look at the mustang mach-e but passed because it is too low and bit small. That is how all the EVs in this price range are right now though. I'm so glad to see the heavy demand - its going main stream!

Our biggest problem is finding an electrician to install our ChargePoint charger... nobody is getting back to me. Currently we do level 1 charging (regular 3 prong outlet on a GFCI) for the Rav4 Prime which fills it over night. With Level 2 that would get it down to maybe 1 hour.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

dillrob wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:19 am
cmr79 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:48 pm If you choose a vehicle and are willing to wait, you can get just about anything at MSRP if you order. I guess you pay either way...either in cash today, or in a 3-12 month delay!
I ordered one a month ago. They said they had no idea on when I might receive it but thought spring would be a good guess.
er999

Post by er999 »

I have a rav4 prime (bought last summer) and would recommend it although I bought it for the mid 30s. They are made in Japan so I think will lose the tax credit in 2023 and many have been going over msrp.

You have an electric car around town (42 mile range is plenty for me) and can recharge in 12 hours on a standard outlet so no need to pay for a charging port at your house. When you want to take a road trip you have the gas option. If it’s your only car that is a great option.
cmr79

Post by cmr79 »

dillrob wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:19 am
Yes, there are Toyota dealerships that are not charging additional dealer markups and will sell ordered cars at MSRP. Might require traveling a distance or having the car shipped, however.
yosh99

Post by yosh99 »

So..... BASED ON OPINIONS FROM BH'S.... I AM ENTERTAINING THE RAV4 PRIME. IT IS ESSENTIALLY A SLIMMED DOWN VERSION OF THE LEXUS NX

FOR THOSE WHO HAVE PURCHASED THIS, ANY REGRETS? HITS/MISSES? I KNOW IT IS 2X THE FAILURE FACTOR (hybrid and EV), but in real-world... TOYOTA HAS BEEN PRETTY GOOD AT HYBRID QUALITY IN LAST 20 YEARS.

I was told by a local dealer in MSP that RAV4 Primes are sold out for 2-3 years.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

2023 Prius prime seems like it will be a nice vehicle if you can wait a few months.

https://www.toyota.com/upcoming-vehicles/priusprime/
Topic Author
SuperSaver

Post by SuperSaver »

evancox10 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:37 am

How did you arrive at the RAV4 Prime? Literally no one in the thread recommended it! I’m not not recommended it (no opinions/experience with it), I just find it funny. Is the RAV4 Prime what you had in mind from the beginning?

I am sure reliability will be fine, Toyota has plenty of experience in hybrids. You just miss out on one of the nice things about a full EV, not having to deal with maintenance of the gas engine. In any case it is up to you though!
ORIGINAL POSTER HERE:
Test drove the usual 100% EV suspects. Overall, I was diasppointed by limited offerings. And shocked at the sticker price, with all-in final numbers But what sealed the deal was this:

- Spoke to Tesla mechanic yesterday. He said only buy a EV if you get extended warranty, OR if you lease it. He says if battery damaged (by ordinary road bumps), expect $5-17k in damages. And insurance will likely "total" car if they have to replace the whole battery.

I told him I wanted something reliable, where I won't be in the shop, that will last 10+ years.
His advice to me: "Buy a toyota. 45-50mpg"
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

SuperSaver wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:59 am

ORIGINAL POSTER HERE:
Test drove the usual 100% EV suspects. Overall, I was diasppointed by limited offerings. And shocked at the sticker price, with all-in final numbers But what sealed the deal was this:

- Spoke to Tesla mechanic yesterday. He said only buy a EV if you get extended warranty, OR if you lease it. He says if battery damaged (by ordinary road bumps), expect $5-17k in damages. And insurance will likely "total" car if they have to replace the whole battery.

I told him I wanted something reliable, where I won't be in the shop, that will last 10+ years.
I am confused - are you saying that all decisions forward should be based on one random mechanic?
linuxizer

Post by linuxizer »

This mechanic seems like they are full of it.

Everyone predicted doom about batteries. In reality they have been lasting far longer than expected, even for the uncooled Leaf batteries once they fixed the chemistry issues in 2014. Even the 2011 batteries don’t randomly fail, they just degrade a little faster in super hot (think Arizona) climates.

Road bumps, sheesh.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

er999 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:02 am I have a rav4 prime (bought last summer) and would recommend it although I bought it for the mid 30s. They are made in Japan so I think will lose the tax credit in 2023 and many have been going over msrp.
The RAV4 Prime, like all EVs and plug-ins assembled outside North America, immediately lost eligibility for the federal tax credit when the Inflation Reduction Act was signed into law.
bwalling

Post by bwalling »

linuxizer wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:56 am This mechanic seems like they are full of it.

Everyone predicted doom about batteries. In reality they have been lasting far longer than expected, even for the uncooled Leaf batteries once they fixed the chemistry issues in 2014. Even the 2011 batteries don’t randomly fail, they just degrade a little faster in super hot (think Arizona) climates.

Road bumps, sheesh.
Bump is ridiculous. Running over large debris is a real thing. However, that’s also devastating to an ICE.
just frank

Post by just frank »

OP, I am not a fan or random mechanics giving EV advice (they have a likely to have a bias/agenda IMO) but...

1) I agree that you should lease an EV (at a good price) and not plan on owning it for 10 years. The regular warranty will be fine.

2) I know someone with a Rav4 prime who loves it. I am no fan of Toyota, but if the Prime works for your use case (and you can get one), you could be happy with it.

This is no the time to buy an EV and hold it for 10+ years. KInda like having a flip phone, and looking at your first smart phone and saying 'Will it last 6 years like my old flip phone?'
delamer

Post by delamer »

ORIGINAL POSTER HERE:

Just a FYI, Volvo provides an 8-year warranty on their EV/hybrid batteries.

(Standard 4 years on other parts/systems.)
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils
cadreamer2015

Post by cadreamer2015 »

We have a 2021 RAV4 Prime SE, purchased in March 2021 at MSRP. We love it. We get 40-50 miles of range on the battery, then the ICE comes on seamlessly for another 400 miles of range. Our around town driving is almost exclusively on electricity. Road trips are no problem. It’s not a super luxury vehicle but quality is fine for us. If you want luxury you’ll have to pay significantly more for the Lexus version, with the sacrifice of some range.
De gustibus non disputandum est
MGBMartin

Post by MGBMartin »

delamer wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:57 am
ORIGINAL POSTER HERE:

Hyundai and Kia are 10 years warranty on the traction battery and EV drive components, 5 years on other parts.
Bad spellers of the world untie | Autocorrect is my worst enema
robphoto

Post by robphoto »

We got a 2022 RAV4 Prime SE, it's great-- very snappy performance, seems to get more like 50 miles on electric for us, found a dealer that would sell at MSRP.

The main problem is that they're hard to find, and now you don't get the $7500. federal tax credit any more.

For electric cars, you can look up which cars qualify for the credit now. Tesla Model 3 and Model Y will qualify early next year.

https://electrek.co/2022/11/16/which-el ... ax-credit/
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

Against functional failure, not road damage.

That said, unless people damaging their drive shaft, transmission case, differential housing, on a regular basis….probabilistically this is a non-issue.

…and in the case that road hazards damages a vehicle, thats actually what insurance is for.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

hunoraut wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:28 pm

That said, unless people damaging their drive shaft, transmission case, differential housing, on a regular basis….probabilistically this is a non-issue.

…and in the case that road hazards damages a vehicle, thats actually what insurance is for.
I'm not a mechanic or a car guy, but does an EV even have most of those?
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
bwalling

Post by bwalling »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:03 pm
hunoraut wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:28 pm

I'm not a mechanic or a car guy, but does an EV even have most of those?
No, but the point is that your ICE car has road damage risk to those expensive parts. Running over something and causing severe damage isn't exclusive to EV. And, as has been pointed out, it's what insurance is for. It's a strange argument to use against an EV.
fogalog

Post by fogalog »

toomanysidehustles wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:04 pm
livesoft wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:40 pm
JR52 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:36 pm
BicycleBuiltForTwo wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:30 pm
The Muskiness is an issue.
What do you mean by this?
I think they mean that they have been reading about current events. LOL!
Go Tesla! Love him or hate him, the guy knows how to create, run and sell businesses. Not many know Elon moved out of S. Africa at 17 by himself, went into 100K in student loan debt at a Canadian college and started the first maps and directions on the internet.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/PEK7-4W8EHM
I would note that that is very carefully edited. If you are curious about his actual path, I'd recommending this thread on Twitter.

Regarding the subject at hand: I drove a few Teslas and have been in many over the last 10 years - they're very common here in the Bay Area. I really wanted to like them. Whether you like the iPad-glued-to-the-dash style is of course a matter of personal taste. For me, I found it very distracting to not have a button to press to turn the A/C on, etc. The "feel" of the cars certainly does not reflect their price. And the build quality (gaps, paint finish, etc) is just awful. I went a different route.

Good luck!
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

lthenderson wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:14 am It's been a month since I "ordered" our RAV4 Prime. Hoping to have it by spring and then I can evaluate it. But we like our current ICE RAV4.
I am surprised you are getting it that early. My dealer mentioned 12-18 months, and that is a optimistic estimate.
Honestly I'd get only the XSE and with no federal tax incentive (to us) I am not sure if its a good value.
My vote would be probably wait since that is what I am doing. I think in next few years it would be a buyers market with most all manufacturers offering some EV option and supply catches up with demand.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

TheOscarGuy wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:35 pm
lthenderson wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:14 am It's been a month since I "ordered" our RAV4 Prime. Hoping to have it by spring and then I can evaluate it. But we like our current ICE RAV4.
I am surprised you are getting it that early. My dealer mentioned 12-18 months, and that is a optimistic estimate.
I have received no guarantees of anything from my dealer so you may very well be correct. I don't know your situation but out here in rural America, there isn't a lot of competition and we are the only ones on his list for the Prime so perhaps that may give us an advantage. 18 months however would put us into model year 2024 and would mean my dealer received exactly zero Primes to sell for an entire year. I'm not sure how one could stay in business that way.
Kuota Rider

Post by Kuota Rider »

I test drove the Ford Mach E, BMW I4, Ionic 5, Kia EV6, the VW ID4 and the Polestar 2. The two most comfortable rides were the EV6 and the Polestar 2. I chose the Polestar and couldn't be happier. "Hey Google, turn up the temperature to 72 degrees." Hey Google, turn on the drivers seat heater." "Hey Google, take me home." "Hey Google, find me the closest Mexican restaurant." Imagine a voice-activated Google Maps.
gtrplayer

Post by gtrplayer »

I know it’s not “cool,” but I drive a Prius, it gets on average over 50 mpg, and is very reliable. They just announced the 2023 Prius which gives it a much more appealing appearance, at least in my opinion, and you can get a plug in to avoid filling up at all in town.

Personally, I’m not convinced the fully electric vehicle is ready for what I want to do (both driving in town and on long distance trips) but the Prius has been great. Drove in and out of California during the height of gas prices and avoided filling up the whole time…

https://www.toyota.com/upcoming-vehicle ... lsrc=aw.ds