Best EV for around $50k, or RAV4 Prime???

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
SuperSaver

Best EV for around $50k, or RAV4 Prime???

Post by SuperSaver »

It is time... our 2009 Accord LX having issues.

Our biggest priorities:
1) reliability (I've been spoiled by Honda/Toyota in last 3 decades. Car hardly ever in shop. Never have to worry about missing work due to maintenance issues)
2) reliability
3) reliability
4) refined interior, above our typical Camry/Corolla/Accord cars of the past
5) Zero or greatly reduced trips to gas station

For those that have actually test-driven, owned, what is the best choice here?

Tesla 3
VW ID4
Volvo XC40
Kia EV6
Mustang E
Hyundai Ioniq5

I am looking for something more luxe and roomy than a Bolt/Volt/Leaf etc. I also know that there are alot more models being offered in 2023, but not sure my old car will make it that long. We have a small parking spot in our garage.

This car will be mostly for daily driving to work. Single driver. In-home charging

UPDATE:
After testing all the EV's, there really is no "perfect" choice, due to availability, quality, and price. TESLA 3 seems to be by far the nicest car by a long shot. But the price (all-in) made me: :o :shock:
Also would be nice to have a SUV-like car for my elderly parents when I take them around...

So..... BASED ON OPINIONS FROM BH'S.... I AM ENTERTAINING THE RAV4 PRIME. IT IS ESSENTIALLY A SLIMMED DOWN VERSION OF THE LEXUS NX

FOR THOSE WHO HAVE PURCHASED THIS, ANY REGRETS? HITS/MISSES? I KNOW IT IS 2X THE FAILURE FACTOR (hybrid and EV), but in real-world... TOYOTA HAS BEEN PRETTY GOOD AT HYBRID QUALITY IN LAST 20 YEARS.

I KNOW AVAILABILITY IS AN ISSUE.
Last edited by SuperSaver on Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
BicycleBuiltForTwo

Re: Best EV for around $50k?

Post by BicycleBuiltForTwo »

You’ll enjoy going with an EV. They are really fun to drive.

I have a Tesla Model 3. It is comfortable and fun to drive. No regrets. Also no idea if it will last 10+ years, although I haven’t had reliability issues so far.

The Muskiness is an issue. More so now than when I bought mine. I handled the issue by taking my wife along for the test drive… :D

Afraid I haven’t driven the others…. BMW i4 out of your price range?
JR52

Post by JR52 »

BicycleBuiltForTwo wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:30 pm
The Muskiness is an issue.
What do you mean by this?
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

JR52 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:36 pm
I think they mean that they have been reading about current events. LOL!
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
evancox10

Post by evancox10 »

Mustang Mach E also an option, especially since it’s eligible for $7500 tax credit this year and next year. You can get a ‘22 select or CA rt1 at/below $50k, premium slightly above. Just have to shop around different dealers, they have customer cancellations they want to offload.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

SuperSaver wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:11 pm Tesla 3
VW ID4
Volvo XC40
Kia EV6
Mustang E
Hyundai Ioniq5

I am looking for something more luxe and roomy than a Bolt/Volt/Leaf etc. I also know that there are alot more models being offered in 2023, but not sure my old car will make it that long.

This car will be mostly for daily driving to work. Single driver. In-home charging

Where I am struggling is this:
If I am going to spend $50,000, why not buy the front-runner TESLA 3, which has the Supercharging network and (based on comments here), the best tech. It's going to be hard justifying $50,000... on a Kia. or Hyundai. But my wife has very strong aversion with buying something affiliated with Elon Musk. I personally want the most reliable car that will last 10+ years...
VW group is terrible with software and that generation of interior functional-design
Volvo XC is not on a dedicated platform / i.e. based on combustion packaging. Polestar has a upcoming 3 if that's what where you're steering.
Ford Mach E I like, but given that software is a major underpinning of electric car, and extrapolating from their other Sync software family, there's no way I trust that thing over Tesla's.

Based on your other candidates, you are looking for a larger car, so it should be a Model Y (instead of a 3) vs the Hyundai-Kia twins. If I had to replace my model 3 tomorrow, i would do it with a Y.
JR52

Post by JR52 »

livesoft wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:40 pm
Got it. Seems odd and out of bounds for this forum. I was wondering if there an an actual finance or consumer implication but I guess not.
oxothuk

Post by oxothuk »

Not sexy, but the Nissan Leaf is a great option if your primary use case is daily driving within a metro area, and you have a second car for road trips. Get the Plus version (60 kWh battery, 220 mile range).

You should even get some change back from your 50k
MGBMartin

Post by MGBMartin »

I wouldn’t discount the Bolt EUV as it’s an improved version of the earlier Bolt especially the interior.
Price wise it really is the bargain in the EV segment.

I have a Kia Soul EV and my next car will be another EV. Normally I probably wouldn’t consider the Bolt EUV but If was in the situation were I needed to buy right now it probably be at the top or near top of my list.
Last edited by MGBMartin on Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bad spellers of the world untie | Autocorrect is my worst enema
oxothuk

Post by oxothuk »

JR52 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:43 pm
Got it. Seems odd and out of bounds for this forum. I was wondering if there an an actual finance or consumer implication but I guess not.
Forget current events. Just Google Tesla’s reputation for build quality and parts availability, not to mention selling vapor ware like “full self driving”.
Exterous

Post by Exterous »

While I haven't had a chance to test drive the EV6 or Ioniq6 I've heard great things about them. Great warranty, good design, good range, good infotainment, good options for the price. I'm also a big believer in having some physical controls. I don't want to have to take my eyes off the road to see where I'm hitting a touchscreen and they say they are committed to providing buttons and knobs for things like climate control.

Toyota and Honda don't seem to be the companies they used to be while Kia and Hyundai have really stepped up their game. And I say that as a previous huge fan of Honda and Toyota having had multiple cars from each for lengthy periods of time
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

Background: drove a Nissan LEAF 2018 for three years, then upgraded to Tesla Model Y (now 1 1/2 years old, 13k miles in). Don’t like Musk.

Our experience with the Tesla has been excellent so far. They certainly have the most experience with the technology, and the user experience of the whole system (including charging) is just unmatched.

I would not get/wait for Toyota/Subaru to re-release their first EV (bZ4X/Solterra). Reviews have been underwhelming, and the initial batch was recalled because they literally had the wheels fall off. Obviously not an issue with the EV system, but shocking for a manufacturer with Toyota’s experience. And they continue to be fairly hostile about the whole concept of EVs anyway.

If I had to buy a new EV tomorrow, I would first look at Tesla, and then potentially investigate the Kia/Hyundai offerings. As someone else suggested, the Ford Mach E might be a good choice, too. At a recent EV event I parked my Model Y next to a Mach E, and they are very similar in size, and the owner loved it.

If you want to do an extended test drive of the Tesla (Model 3), a lot of larger Hertz locations now have it as a rental. I recently rented one at LAX, and it was so nice compared to the other rentals I have had in recent years.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

I have a Niro EV. It's closer to $40K, but with sales tax and whatnot it'll be $45K or more. It's certainly far nicer than your '09 Accord. It was rated among the most reliable cars (not just EVs) by Consumer Reports. As a commuter car, it's hard to do better at the price.

Before somebody chimes in to say the EV6 is only slightly more expensive - Kia is getting rid of the entry trim and the EV6 will now start at $50K, and good luck finding one at that price.
Last edited by 02nz on Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LFKB

Post by LFKB »

Easily the Polestar 2. Polestar is owned by Volvo and has great performance and safety.
Sgal8713

Post by Sgal8713 »

Got my Mach-E about a month ago and absolutely love it. Premium trim w RWD and normal range. Walked out at 60k with TN's 10% sales tax and before 7.5k tax rebate. No issues what so ever on the technology. Has worked seamlessly thus far. I looked at all the options and just couldn't pass on the sleekness of the mach e. (And it seems everyone with an electric has a Tesla).

I cannot recommend it higher. So, so much fun to drive.
njdealguy

Post by njdealguy »

Not sure how the deals are in today's market but back in April of last year was able to obtain Audi Etron that had about 73k sticker price for around 51.5k after combination of discounts/incentives including federal 7500 tax credit, costco 3k coupon, 8% dealer discount and some manufacturer incentives (no sales tax on evs in my state). Awesome car it's been (only shortcoming I find compared to my Tesla model 3 is it doesn't do autosteering/autopilot)
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

SuperSaver wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:11 pm
Where I am struggling is this:
If I am going to spend $50,000, why not buy the front-runner TESLA 3, which has the Supercharging network and (based on comments here), the best tech.

SuperSaver, the 2 comments above, from your original post, are somewhat contradictory. If you plan to primarily charge at home, the Supercharging network may not be that important.

When I bought my ID.4 18 months ago, it came with 3 years of free fast charging at ElectrifyAmerica. While I've used EA 4-5 times, the vast majority of my charging is done at home. I only need a 50% charge weekly, and charging at home is cheap and easy.

I was early on the wait list when Tesla's M3 came out, but after a test drive I decided I wanted a medium sized SUV and not a sedan. Back in May 2021, I purchased the ID.4 for $44.5k + $4k tax/fees - $7.5k rebate = $41k. At that time, I priced the Tesla MY at $65k + $6k tax/fees - $0 rebate = $71k.

I really like the ID.4, and also the additional $30k that I didn't spend on that Tesla.
asahopkins

Post by asahopkins »

VW ID.4 owner here. We like the car a lot. Yes, the software is not as great as it could be, but it meets our desire for an EV that is just a solid car not trying too hard to be different. It’s a peer with a RAV4 or CRV, plenty of room for a family of four plus stuff, but better to drive (the acceleration is great) and of course the favorable economics of an EV.
ClaycordJCA

Post by ClaycordJCA »

Replies should respond substantively to OP’s request for recommendations of EVs other than Tesla. Comments regarding Elon Musk are unnecessary to respond to OP’s request. Additional comments regarding Mr. Musk may result in the locking of the thread.
WestCoastPhan

Post by WestCoastPhan »

I owned a Tesla Model S for 4 years, and currently have a Mach-e California Route 1 and ID4 Pro S. Based on your goals, I would go with the Mach-e.
niceguy7376

Post by niceguy7376 »

Hyundai Ioniq5 owner of 6 months with 15k miles put on it.
Would definitely recommend it.
It would cost a bit more than 50k for mid trim and unfortunately no federal rebate now (I got it when bought in may).
It beat ID4 for range and look and tesla 3 or y or ford mach 3 on price and immediate availability
cmr79

Post by cmr79 »

The 2023 Audi Q4 e-tron starts around $50k and deserves consideration given your desire for something more luxurious. I found the interior to be much nicer than the Ioniq 5. I haven't driven a Mach E so can't compare. I wouldn't say the Model 3/Y feel like they have "luxe" interiors--you are paying for the performance, technology and charging network, not the build/interior quality with a Tesla.
GreendaleCC

Post by GreendaleCC »

JR52 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:43 pm
I would put this consideration in the same category as ESG (environmental, social, and corporate governance) considerations.
Pdxnative

Post by Pdxnative »

I have an ID.4 Pro S AWD and like it a lot. Weak spots are the infotainment and software but it’s good enough and that’s not really what I bought the car for. I like how it drives and things like the adaptive headlights. Very comfortable for me also. You could probably snag a 2023 in the next month or so that would be eligible for the federal tax credit. Not clear how much of the fed tax credit it (or any EV) will be eligible for in 2023.

Polestar 2 is a great car worth trying out. Sits and drives more like a car than a crossover. No tax credit though, so it’s off your budget a bit.
dcb

Post by dcb »

evancox10 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:40 pm Mustang Mach E also an option, especially since it’s eligible for $7500 tax credit this year and next year. You can get a ‘22 select or CA rt1 at/below $50k, premium slightly above. Just have to shop around different dealers, they have customer cancellations they want to offload.
I have a 2021 Mach E Premium and love it. You may find a Mach E Select for under $50,000, but a Premium or Ca Rt1 would bring the price to the mid $50's or higher. Also ,most dealers having cancelations are able to add an ADM (Additional Dealer Markup) to the MSRP price of the canceled car because of demand. Also, the $7500 rebate would be available for deliveries to the end of the year, but there is some question about whether the year 2023 cars will be eligible for the full $7500 rebate because of lack of local battery content. Still, I am sold on the Mustang Mach e and would highly recommend it if you can go a little higher on price.
dcb
cyclist

Post by cyclist »

Be cautious as you plan for tax incentives from the Inflation Reduction Act.

Although the pre-existing incentives may remain for some vehicles for now, only domestically produced vehicles will qualify in 2023. (That means no Kia or Hyundai EVs until production comes to the US.) Half of that $7,500 is available only for cars with domestically produced batteries. There are tough requirements for the counties where the component minerals are sourced, and cars with Chinese batteries do not qualify for any incentive at all. As a practical matter, it is not clear that any manufacturer will be able to deliver vehicles that quality for the full $7,500 in the near term.

There are also maximum price limits for qualifying vehicles and income limits for persons who will qualify to receive these tax incentives.

For myself, I’m guessing that Tesla and others will only be able to qualify for $3750 in incentives. Tesla’s base model 3 would appear unlikely to qualify at all unless they stop supplying it with Chinese made battery packs. The Model 3 Long Range would only qualify if Tesla reduced the price by $3k. Tesla could do either of these things, and I suspect that if they lower the price of the Long Range version they’ll do so by removing functionality currently bundled in (and offering it for an appropriate fee as an after-sale upgrade through their app).

They stopped taking orders for the Model 3 Long Range shortly after this legislation was passed. I have one slated for delivery in November. It won’t qualify for any incentives (no Tesla does until 2023) but it was $2k cheaper than the last price it was offered at, so I suspect the de facto sales price won’t be all that different. But we’ll all find out sometime in 2023.

Cyclist
kiwi123

Post by kiwi123 »

Hyundai/Kia. (no need for Tesla given that you're charging at home and dont need access to a supercharger on a regular basis)

Build and design quality of Hyndai/Kia is very good (and i think will last longer than the teslas).
FoolMeOnce

Post by FoolMeOnce »

Is the Model 3 really any roomier than the Leaf?
BicycleBuiltForTwo

Post by BicycleBuiltForTwo »

Since you ask, I was acknowledging OP’s statement that his wife’s opinion of Elon Musk is a factor in his decision. My own opinion is neither here nor there, and I will honor the mod’s request not to share it. All the best :sharebeer
dewey

Post by dewey »

Volvo XC40 is tops in its class by most reviewer sites. I didn’t have the EV XC40 but it was one amazing vehicle. Luxury. Great handling. Quiet cabin. Managed ride. Comfortable for driver and passengers. Just a fantastic auto.
“The only freedom that is of enduring importance is freedom of intelligence…” John Dewey
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

Big no go on Toyota. They have no experience with pure electric and their new b4zx whatever seems a mess.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

kiwi123 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:54 pm Hyundai/Kia. (no need for Tesla given that you're charging at home and dont need access to a supercharger on a regular basis)

Build and design quality of Hyndai/Kia is very good (and i think will last longer than the teslas).
My friends who have bought the Hyundai are very happy with them, in the round.

Given that demand exceeds supply, I imagine prices would adjust vis-a-vis any government subsidy (at least partially so). The makers just charge more if there's a bigger subsidy.
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

Car and Driver's 2022 EV of the year, the Hyundai Ioniq 5 !

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4086 ... -the-year/
Light weight baby!
indexfundfan

Post by indexfundfan »

What's everyone's opinion on the Chevy Equinox EV, due out next year?
My signature has been deleted.
Old Guy

Post by Old Guy »

I have a 2021 Ford Mach E premium rear wheel drive. Ford is a car company, not a software company. It’s improving but it still has a ways to go. It was around 53,000 minus trade in and the 7,500. Price reflect SC car tax and use of Ford X plan. Very nice car.

I would never, ever buy anything associated with Elon Musk.
birb

Post by birb »

I'm personally excited about the Honda 2024 Prologue all-electric. We're definitely waiting until that comes out to make any decisions.
bubbadog

Post by bubbadog »

I would think the Ionic 5 would have to be the frontrunner.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

indexfundfan wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:21 am What's everyone's opinion on the Chevy Equinox EV, due out next year?
It’s hard to have an informed opinion of it since it isn’t out yet.
I’m excited that it’s coming to market though. Eager to see more good competition out there, and this should fit right in.

I do like the current equinox though…..
mrb09

Post by mrb09 »

Happy owner of a Hyundai Ioniq 5. A bit more than $50k now with the lost rebate. Fun to drive, practical amount of space, and charges very quickly on road trips.

Previously had a Nissan Leaf, which was harder on road trips due to its more limited range and slower and older standard charge connector. Still would recommend as a second car if you mostly use around town and charge in the garage.
BrooklynInvest

Post by BrooklynInvest »

Our neighbor reviews cars. She liked the new Mustang EV when she tested it. Me, I want to see the Volvo C40 EV.
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

The Muskiness is an issue. More so now than when I bought mine. I handled the issue by taking my wife along for the test drive… :D
I did a double take on this until I realized what you were saying :D
I have a model Y and I do agree: I feel like I carry the "baggage" of the CEO to certain extent. But like driving the car a lot. Tons of fun.
I am also not sure if it will last for 10 years, time will tell. Generally coming in from Japanese car makers, I am disappointed with build quality.
Bogle-007

Post by Bogle-007 »

Since you’re coming from a Honda Accord, and your user name implies you like to save, have you seen the newly-revealed 2023 Accord? It’ll have the new dual motor hybrid engine.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

"Interesting" how these threads always turn into Elon Musk bashing.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed an off-topic interchange regarding Henry Ford's political background.

Please stay on-topic.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

NewbieBogle007 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:23 am Since you’re coming from a Honda Accord, and your user name implies you like to save, have you seen the newly-revealed 2023 Accord? It’ll have the new dual motor hybrid engine.
SuperSaver wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:11 pm This is not a discussion of practicality, range anxiety, persuasion for PHEV, or hybrids. 100% Electric Car only
Seems to me the OP is not interested in hybrids.
Bogle7

VW ID.4

Post by Bogle7 »

We started our BEV buying process in September 2021.
Our family deal was: wife picks the car and husband gets to choose the color.
Telsa was never under consideration due to someone's behavior.
She test drove: Hyundai and VW. The Kia was not available for a test drive. The Volvo is too expensive.
She loves German cars, so the VW ID.4 was the choice.

13 months later, our 2022 VW ID.4 (color=blue) arrived at the dealer yesterday. We have not picked it up.

23NOV2022
Just drove it home. Used 6 miles of range for the 18 mile trip thanks to regenerative braking.
I think it will take us days to figure this “computer on wheels” and we are tech savvy people.
Last edited by Bogle7 on Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
chillwill120

Post by chillwill120 »

TravelGeek wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:06 pm Background: drove a Nissan LEAF 2018 for three years, then upgraded to Tesla Model Y (now 1 1/2 years old, 13k miles in). Don’t like Musk.

Our experience with the Tesla has been excellent so far. They certainly have the most experience with the technology, and the user experience of the whole system (including charging) is just unmatched.

I would not get/wait for Toyota/Subaru to re-release their first EV (bZ4X/Solterra). Reviews have been underwhelming, and the initial batch was recalled because they literally had the wheels fall off. Obviously not an issue with the EV system, but shocking for a manufacturer with Toyota’s experience. And they continue to be fairly hostile about the whole concept of EVs anyway.

If I had to buy a new EV tomorrow, I would first look at Tesla, and then potentially investigate the Kia/Hyundai offerings. As someone else suggested, the Ford Mach E might be a good choice, too. At a recent EV event I parked my Model Y next to a Mach E, and they are very similar in size, and the owner loved it.

If you want to do an extended test drive of the Tesla (Model 3), a lot of larger Hertz locations now have it as a rental. I recently rented one at LAX, and it was so nice compared to the other rentals I have had in recent years.
How did you like the leaf?
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

chillwill120 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:12 am
How did you like the leaf?
We loved it. We bought it as a replacement of a 2010 Prius, and I always thought it was what Toyota should have built years ago as a logical successor for the Prius family. The range was more than enough for local/regional driving (commute, shopping, driving to a trail head, etc.). We almost always charged at home, and it was nice to have a full battery every morning. And it was surprisingly spacious and comfortable for what is ultimately a relatively compact car.

Now, if you plan to use the EV for road trips, the LEAF is probably the wrong choice. For one, the range requires more frequent charging, and then it is clear that CHAdeMO is the Betamax of the charging wars. And it doesn’t have an actively cooled battery pack, so you may experience charging slowdowns if you need multiple DC charging sessions in short order.

And that is why we ultimately upgraded to a Tesla - so we wouldn’t have to use our ICE vehicle for longer trips.
MMiroir

Post by MMiroir »

BicycleBuiltForTwo wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:30 pm You’ll enjoy going with an EV. They are really fun to drive.

I have a Tesla Model 3. It is comfortable and fun to drive. No regrets. Also no idea if it will last 10+ years, although I haven’t had reliability issues so far.
Fun to drive compared to what? All of these cars are fairly boring snooze-fests including the Tesla.

Unless you are prepared to charge at home 100% of the time and do not intend to use the EV for any trip that require charging, I would 100% go with the Tesla.
Topic Author
SuperSaver

Post by SuperSaver »

ORIGINAL POSTER HERE :!: :!: :!:

This morning, I went in person to kick the tires on these cars.

A few observations---
SHOCKED :shock: :shock: :shock:
at the $5000-$7500 markups.

The ID4, Mustang, and XC40 all had similar designs and overall body builds. The Kia was radically designed differently. But was a car, not SUV feel.

These EV's are the future, and ride experience superior to anything I have driven. So quiet. Didn't even know the car was on.
The tax rebate issue is a sore subject for Kia, Volvo, and VW. Not sure if it matters if Ford just going to mark up the MSRP, and pocket the rebate

A caveat:
Currently, I drive a 2009 Accord LX. Cloth sets. No Bluetooth. No sunroof. No safety cameras. No touch screen. No heated seats, etc etc. So, ANY car built in the last 5 years is going to feel like a huge splurge in luxury and tech.

MUSTANG-E:
No test drives allowed unless you have a purchase order. Not a single sales rep even came to greet me until I asked for help after > 5 minutes. How times have changed!
Dealer found out the buyer was planning to flip to carvanna, and just gave him cash to back out the deal. Shocked it was in the showroom

KIA:
Slick car. But interior doesn't feel luxe to justify $60k price tag. The buttons and dials felt like they belonged on a toaster. Sales rep had started 2 weeks ago. Had no idea about any of the models :oops:

XC40:
Test drove, and was blown away. Felt like a luxury car. Refined finishes. Is it worth the $20k premium???
The infotainment screen felt more embedded than a huge iPad sticking out of dashboard.

ID4:
I couldn't tell the ride quality apart from XC40. Very nice interior as well. They had 2 available, one of which was used with 4k miles!