PM notification

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
PoemMan

PM notification

Post by PoemMan »

Is there a means of alerting/notifying someone that a PM has been sent to them, without mentioning it in a thread response?

I ask because it seems that unless the intended recipient routinely checks their Inbox, they will never know one has been sent and to look for it.

Thanks,
PoemMan
“This old truck … I own it … it don’t own me” - Howlin’ Wolf in Cadillac Records
arcticpineapplecorp.

Re: PM notification

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

PoemMan wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:42 pm Is there a means of alerting/notifying someone that a PM has been sent to them, without mentioning it in a thread response?

I ask because it seems that unless the intended recipient routinely checks their Inbox, they will never know one has been sent and to look for it.

Thanks,
PoemMan
not sure if it's this way for everyone, but whenever i get a pm i get an email saying i have a pm. so i don't need to check my inbox at bogleheads (which i don't) unless i'm notified in my email there's a pm waiting for me at bogleheads. if it is this way for all (don't know), then the person either:
1. isn't checking the email account where the notification of pm is sent to or
2. they know they have a pm in their bogleheads inbox, but haven't gone to bogleheads/checked their bogleheads inbox yet.
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

If they want to be alerted by the arrival of PMs, they can turn on the alert feature.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Go to your User Control Panel --> Board preferences --> Edit notification options (generic link that goes to the right place)

Select the type of notifications you want to receive (check the appropriate box).

The "Notifications" column highlights the Notifications section of the menu at the top right of the page. For example, if you have a PM waiting, it will show a "1" inside a red circle. The notification is cleared when the PM is read.

The "Email" column will send an email.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

My experience has been that an email is received notifying of the private message.

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Topic Author
PoemMan

Post by PoemMan »

Thank you all, I appreciate the responses. I have updated my notifications, and hopefully the person I sent the PM to also has that set as well.

PoemMan
“This old truck … I own it … it don’t own me” - Howlin’ Wolf in Cadillac Records