Marine Corps NROTC program for daughter

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
usnaron

Re: Marine Corps NROTC program for daughter

Post by usnaron »

bh_lalew wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:02 am Why not just apply to one of the service academies? West point for the US army or Annapolis for the Navy - naval academy when you graduate you
can select to go into the US Navy or the USMC.

NROTC is Navy ROTC program and there is the ROTC for the Army - those plans are usually available and done at the college. There are usually corresponding classes at the college teaching leadership etc.
NROTC in A normal college is a much more enjoyable experience for 99% of people. No need to suffer at an academy (personal experience here)
GreendaleCC

Post by GreendaleCC »

usnaron wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:28 pm
bh_lalew wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:02 am Why not just apply to one of the service academies? West point for the US army or Annapolis for the Navy - naval academy when you graduate you
can select to go into the US Navy or the USMC.

NROTC is Navy ROTC program and there is the ROTC for the Army - those plans are usually available and done at the college. There are usually corresponding classes at the college teaching leadership etc.
NROTC in A normal college is a much more enjoyable experience for 99% of people. No need to suffer at an academy (personal experience here)
100% agree. I did ROTC and had fun in college.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

ScubaHogg wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:18 pm
Roguish wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:21 am If your daughter likes the military idea, she should go directly towards one of the academies. Army, Navy (and Marine), and Air Force Academies are outstanding educations. Paid for. One exits with an officer commission.
I agree those are all outstanding schools. But just in case the OP isn’t as familiar with the various commissioning options, let’s not imply that there is any meaningful, objective difference between getting a commission from one of the service academies or attending a selective school via an ROTC scholarship. In both cases school is paid for and in both cases the student exits with a commission. There are pros and cons to either route.

Back when i was in DC (years ago), there was a "meaningful, objective difference between getting a commission" from an academy vs any other fine college: career advancement for those that want to make the military a career. But if not looking for a military career, ROTC at a college would be a lot more fun.
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

quaternion wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:56 am Third, having known a female (enlisted) marine, I would emphatically discourage any woman I cared about from joining that organization. For reasons that are pretty easy to determine.
This has improved in the past several years (at least have been told by female friend who served). Nevertheless, I 100% agree with you. I would not take such risks with my own daughter.
Rex66

Post by Rex66 »

I had one sister academy graduate. Other enlisted.
Having served many years myself, I know many family members whose daughters joined.

Are there issues, certainly but the people here who say they would never let their daughters join have zero experience.
GreendaleCC

Post by GreendaleCC »

Bump
LadyGeek wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:07 pm The points regarding women in the military have been made, let's move on.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

sidartvader wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:16 pm Our daughter (senior in HS) is interested in pursuing the NROTC program. She is pretty good academically (e.g., ACT 36) and likes martial arts and tennis and wants to pursue a degree in engineering (likely chemical or biomedical). From the recruiter, she has learnt some things about the program – evidently there is a 12 week boot-camp during the summer after high school, followed by a 1 weekend/month commitment throughout her college. There is also a scholarship aspect that the recruiter has been selling her on. It is a significant amount IF she gets it, but that will not be a deciding factor for us. We are expecting to pay 4 years of college on our own. She is mostly enamored with the “skill development” and possible “service to the nation” components of the program.

My question is: if anybody has experience with this program (especially for women), and could guide us on the pros and cons from their perspective. Many thanks for your advice.

Edit: It is actually called "US Marine Corps NROTC". Title of the subject changed now
To summarise what I have read:

- recruiters lie (this is a widely known thing)
- your daughter will have many opportunities for aid finance & entry at top schools without needing the military aid
- when she is in university, ROTC remains open to her. Not all top universities do ROTC so she should make sure there is such a programme at the school she attends
- if she wants a services career, there is no doubt the service academy graduates do better. That's been documented in hundreds of studies re West Point, Annapolis etc. And they provide a "special" education - both in its intensity & the exposure to leadership (as well as excellent academics). But not for everyone. (The Air Force Academy has had a lower reputation (on leadership) than the other 2 - that's worth checking into (because I am just a random guy on the internets, who doesn't even live in USA). But if she is mad keen to fly planes, there is probably no better way of doing it (other than doing airline pilot training at a commercial school)).

In grad school I lived on a floor with several West Point grads who were completing Marshall Scholarships at London graduate schools. They were very impressive folk.

(I believe Marine Corps Commandants often attended The Citadel, in South Carolina? Or the Virginia Military Institute? That's something which can be checked).
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

Big Dog wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:55 pm
ScubaHogg wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:18 pm
Roguish wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:21 am If your daughter likes the military idea, she should go directly towards one of the academies. Army, Navy (and Marine), and Air Force Academies are outstanding educations. Paid for. One exits with an officer commission.
I agree those are all outstanding schools. But just in case the OP isn’t as familiar with the various commissioning options, let’s not imply that there is any meaningful, objective difference between getting a commission from one of the service academies or attending a selective school via an ROTC scholarship. In both cases school is paid for and in both cases the student exits with a commission. There are pros and cons to either route.

Back when i was in DC (years ago), there was a "meaningful, objective difference between getting a commission" from an academy vs any other fine college: career advancement for those that want to make the military a career. But if not looking for a military career, ROTC at a college would be a lot more fun.
I agree if someone is looking to make 4 stars. But for more typical career goals (O5-even O8 maybe, definitely O7) I’d say it makes almost no difference.

But the military is a big place and I can’t speak to all of it. Perhaps an infantry officer in the army has a leg up out of West Point. I can say definitely it didn’t matter in the community I was in.
There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your Expected Returns
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

HMSVictory wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:46 am I enlisted in the Marines prior to graduating from high school and went to boot camp subsequently.

While in college I attended OCS and graduated from the PLC Course (Junior and Senior). NROTC attends the latter half but not the first half.

After OCS they attend the Basic School at Quantico, VA. Then MOS based training based upon their assignment (Air, Ground, Law).

The 13-week boot camp and 1 weekend a month is enlisting in the Reserves. You do not have to do this to obtain an NROTC scholarship (which when I did it was based upon an exam score). You can enroll in the PLC or NROTC program in college without enlisting in the reserves. She should be aware she could be activated while in college and called to active duty (happened to me twice for the Iraq campaign). Being enlisted first and learning how to be a Marine will help her as a future Marine officer. If she's all in on this program, then I might go that way.

Thank you to your daughter for her desire to serve the Nation.
Probably want to clarify you were eligible to be activated only because you were already enlisted.
HMSVictory

Post by HMSVictory »

ncbill wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:24 am
HMSVictory wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:46 am I enlisted in the Marines prior to graduating from high school and went to boot camp subsequently.

While in college I attended OCS and graduated from the PLC Course (Junior and Senior). NROTC attends the latter half but not the first half.

After OCS they attend the Basic School at Quantico, VA. Then MOS based training based upon their assignment (Air, Ground, Law).

The 13-week boot camp and 1 weekend a month is enlisting in the Reserves. You do not have to do this to obtain an NROTC scholarship (which when I did it was based upon an exam score). You can enroll in the PLC or NROTC program in college without enlisting in the reserves. She should be aware she could be activated while in college and called to active duty (happened to me twice for the Iraq campaign). Being enlisted first and learning how to be a Marine will help her as a future Marine officer. If she's all in on this program, then I might go that way.

Thank you to your daughter for her desire to serve the Nation.
Probably want to clarify you were eligible to be activated only because you were already enlisted.
Yes indeed - you can only be activated to active duty if you enlisted in the reserves and not a part of NROTC or PLC programs.
Stay the course!
morbo

Post by morbo »

usnaron wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:28 pm No need to suffer at an academy (personal experience here)
As a naval officer, I 100% agree. I am so glad I went to a regular college and had a normal college experience. Many, many of my friends who went to Annapolis wish they had gone to a normal school. It really is pointless suffering for years.
mr_brightside

Post by mr_brightside »

any updates / additional questions from the OP ??

spouse is an academy grad and i'm an ROTC grad. can provide more input if still desired.

either pathway is a solid choice -- but go in fully informed. actually enlisting in the Navy / USMC reserves as a college student is a WHOLE OTHER can of worms.

army rotc scholarship link

https://www.goarmy.com/careers-and-jobs ... ships.html

navy rotc scholarship link

https://www.navy.com/education-opportun ... hips/nrotc
------------------------------------
Parkinglotracer

Post by Parkinglotracer »

morbo wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:27 am
usnaron wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:28 pm No need to suffer at an academy (personal experience here)
As a naval officer, I 100% agree. I am so glad I went to a regular college and had a normal college experience. Many, many of my friends who went to Annapolis wish they had gone to a normal school. It really is pointless suffering for years.
You get different things for attending different places … Attending the Air Force Academy I earned a civil engineering degree and a guaranteed pilot training slot … If I took the rotc scholarship I was offered I was required to get a technical major and likely no chance for Pilot training. While at the Air Force Academy I got to visit a fighter squadron in Alaska, fly in a two seat jet, and attend Army Airborne School (5 parachute jumps) my freshman year, do USAF Survival School for sophomore year, Solo a glider and a Cessna and do fall semester of my Jr year as an exchange Cadet in Annapolis at the Naval Academy, then after graduation fly F-16’s with my buddies I went to school with for 22 years in the USAF. The same 1000 people I went to school with I fought in the USAF with during Desert Storm and flew with the morning of 9/11. No doubt I gave up some of my college experience but attending the Air Force Academy was more than worth it. One flight in the F-16 was worth the 4 years there. Getting to fly it for 22 years was the deal of a lifetime.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Parkinglotracer wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:33 am
morbo wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:27 am
You get different things for attending different places … Attending the Air Force Academy I earned a civil engineering degree and a guaranteed pilot training slot … If I took the rotc scholarship I was offered I was required to get a technical major and likely no chance for Pilot training. While at the Air Force Academy I got to visit a fighter squadron in Alaska, fly in a two seat jet, and attend Army Airborne School (5 parachute jumps) my freshman year, do USAF Survival School for sophomore year, Solo a glider and a Cessna and do fall semester of my Jr year as an exchange Cadet in Annapolis at the Naval Academy, then after graduation fly F-16’s with my buddies I went to school with for 22 years in the USAF. The same 1000 people I went to school with I fought in the USAF with during Desert Storm and flew with the morning of 9/11. No doubt I gave up some of my college experience but attending the Air Force Academy was more than worth it. One flight in the F-16 was worth the 4 years there. Getting to fly it for 22 years was the deal of a lifetime.
As a commercial pilot who's flown most singles and twins up to and including LearJets, I can certainly understand your good memories of getting paid to fly F-16's. Definitely a benefit of your Air Force Academy experience and something to consider for anyone thinking of an exciting military career.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
morbo

Post by morbo »

Parkinglotracer wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:33 am You get different things for attending different places … Attending the Air Force Academy I earned a civil engineering degree and a guaranteed pilot training slot …
I'm a pilot too. Glad you were happy at the Air Force Academy. The Navy is more egalitarian in handing out pilot spots than the Air Force--any benefit to going to Annapolis is marginal at best in getting a pilot spot.
Parkinglotracer

morbo wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:50 am
Parkinglotracer wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:33 am You get different things for attending different places … Attending the Air Force Academy I earned a civil engineering degree and a guaranteed pilot training slot …
I'm a pilot too. Glad you were happy at the Air Force Academy. The Navy is more egalitarian in handing out pilot spots than the Air Force--any benefit to going to Annapolis is marginal at best in getting a pilot spot.
OK happy would be a stretch … glad I did it yes. I know of no group that is as close knit as Naval Academy Grads … the pilot of the first space shuttle mission was a Naval Academy grad! Darn him … we can all agree having any service academy degree on your resume tells the world you can put up with years of pain. Million dollar education … lol … a nickel at a time as was said often.
GreendaleCC

Post by GreendaleCC »

sidartvader wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:16 pm Our daughter (senior in HS) is interested in pursuing the NROTC program. She is pretty good academically (e.g., ACT 36) and likes martial arts and tennis and wants to pursue a degree in engineering (likely chemical or biomedical). From the recruiter, she has learnt some things about the program – evidently there is a 12 week boot-camp during the summer after high school, followed by a 1 weekend/month commitment throughout her college. There is also a scholarship aspect that the recruiter has been selling her on. It is a significant amount IF she gets it, but that will not be a deciding factor for us. We are :happyexpecting to pay 4 years of college on our own. She is mostly enamored with the “skill development” and possible “service to the nation” components of the program.

My question is: if anybody has experience with this program (especially for women), and could guide us on the pros and cons from their perspective. Many thanks for your advice.

Edit: It is actually called "US Marine Corps NROTC". Title of the subject changed now
What happened with this?
Parkinglotracer

GreendaleCC wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 1:33 pm
sidartvader wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:16 pm Our daughter (senior in HS) is interested in pursuing the NROTC program. She is pretty good academically (e.g., ACT 36) and likes martial arts and tennis and wants to pursue a degree in engineering (likely chemical or biomedical). From the recruiter, she has learnt some things about the program – evidently there is a 12 week boot-camp during the summer after high school, followed by a 1 weekend/month commitment throughout her college. There is also a scholarship aspect that the recruiter has been selling her on. It is a significant amount IF she gets it, but that will not be a deciding factor for us. We are :happyexpecting to pay 4 years of college on our own. She is mostly enamored with the “skill development” and possible “service to the nation” components of the program.

What happened with this?
Saw this in sidartvader -posts last December

Update: Just wanted to share the news that DD got accepted into Northwestern yesterday where she had applied for Early Decision.

Thank you for all your suggestions.

-Sidartvader