Refrigerator Door Automatically closing - is that normal?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
OldSport

Refrigerator Door Automatically closing - is that normal?

Post by OldSport »

Got a new refrigerator. Overall performs fine, but one of the doors doesn't stay open and closely abruptly unless intentionally holding it open, which means we cannot use then fridge with both hands, unless letting one of the doors rest on a body part. Is that normal??

The other door stays open until I close it.

Went to the store and the model doors stay open and one door of one fridge very slowly closed itself, but much less abruptly than ours.

Is what I'm experiencing normal, or did I get a bad door (or offpec out of tolerance refrigerator)? I don't recall that being normal, but wanted to check.

When I asked the installation person, they didn't know what to do and thought I was being too sensitive and unprofessionally made fun of me in another language (that I understood), which I very much did not appreciate.
MGBMartin

Re: Refrigerator Door Automatically closing - is that normal?

Post by MGBMartin »

Sounds like your refrigerator needs to be leveled.
Bad spellers of the world untie | Autocorrect is my worst enema
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

What is the model # and maker of your new fridge?
Topic Author
OldSport

Post by OldSport »

MGBMartin wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:07 pm Sounds like your refrigerator needs to be leveled.
I have my own level. The overall refrigerator is level. The normal door is level. The automatically closing door is not level. I cannot seem to find anyway to just adjust the angle of that door. Is that a defect??
Topic Author
OldSport

Post by OldSport »

Nate79 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:17 pm What is the model # and maker of your new fridge?
This is the refrigerator:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-be ... Variations
crefwatch

Post by crefwatch »

It's my opinion that refrigerator doors are supposed to close themselves, but not swiftly. That's to save energy and protect the food. It's fascinating to think that advertising photos, and "Martha Stewart" living concepts may lead people to believe that their mini-mansion kitchen should look like a photo in a magazine! Or should I say, a selfie.

The fact that the two doors behave differently does suggest that the floor or the refrigerator are not level. I believe that the hinges have small adjustments available to a trained installer, so that the speed and inclination to close can be adjusted. But it's not a precision tool, like the thermostat knob inside the machine! And of course, the rollers on the bottom should be on threaded posts that someone with the right tools can adjust to compensate for unlevel floors.

Note that the quality of the door-close is not a trivial matter. You don't want the tightness of the magnetic gasket to be wildly different in different places, because it could allow cold drafts that could overcome the heaters (!) in the door frame, that defeat condensation.

I am a good handyman, but this would be a learning experience for me. I think the best route is the company you paid to "install" the refrigerator.
JayB

Post by JayB »

OldSport wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:18 pm
MGBMartin wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:07 pm Sounds like your refrigerator needs to be leveled.
I have my own level. The overall refrigerator is level. The normal door is level. The automatically closing door is not level. I cannot seem to find anyway to just adjust the angle of that door. Is that a defect??
It is normal for many refrigerators to be adjusted with the front levelers so that they tilt the appliance slightly back; this allows the doors to close gently when not held open. Many people prefer this, but why OP's doors behave so differently from one another I cannot say.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Is this behavior with or without stuff stored on the door (or both)? Swap the stuff from one door to the other and see if the auto-closing behavior reverses.
Topic Author
OldSport

Post by OldSport »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:25 pm Is this behavior with or without stuff stored on the door (or both)? Swap the stuff from one door to the other and see if the auto-closing behavior reverses.
Without stuff. Adding stuff increases the weight and makes it close even more swiftly.
MGBMartin

Post by MGBMartin »

JayB wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:24 pm
OldSport wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:18 pm
It is normal for many refrigerators to be adjusted with the front levelers so that they tilt the appliance slightly back; this allows the doors to close gently when not held open. Many people prefer this, but why OP's doors behave so differently from one another I cannot say.
Yep, I understand that and my doors do that.
The OP’s description lead me to believe they may be adjusted too much.
Bad spellers of the world untie | Autocorrect is my worst enema
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Page 42-45 of your manual. Level the base, front and back and if it is a model with door levelers, adjust. I found at times, not often, if there is too much or little product stored on the door shelves, it will react as you describe.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

No they are absolutely not supposed to close swiftly on their own. This is because when they close, they vacuum shut to seal in the cold air, and there were cases involving kids and animals who got locked inside and froze to death because they were unable to push open the door in time. They are purposely made to avoid that accidentally occurring. Get it fixed or replaced by the manufacturer. This is a dangerous defect. And you wonder what they teach us in law school and why we turn out like this, lol. I do not practice in this area of product liability and tort law and this is not legal advice. Consult a lawyer or just call the manufacturer and ask for a free courtesy replacement.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I can see why the side-by-side doors can be different. Check out this video of another brand: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83_o2L2Efng It is telling that only one door has an adjustable nut, but not the other one.

Did someone above really suggest contacting a lawyer to get your refrigerator properly leveled?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
OldSport

Post by OldSport »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:13 pm No they are absolutely not supposed to close swiftly on their own. This is because when they close, they vacuum shut to seal in the cold air, and there were cases involving kids and animals who got locked inside and froze to death because they were unable to push open the door in time. They are purposely made to avoid that accidentally occurring. Get it fixed or replaced by the manufacturer. This is a dangerous defect. And you wonder what they teach us in law school and why we turn out like this, lol. I do not practice in this area of product liability and tort law and this is not legal advice. Consult a lawyer or just call the manufacturer and ask for a free courtesy replacement.
They just sent another group of installers to fix, and they were unable to address. They said there was nothing they could do, but we could contact the store and get another refrigerator of the same model, since it is well within the return/exchange period.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

You got the Samsung. You had to get a french door Samsung.

Can you return it and get something else?
Topic Author
OldSport

Post by OldSport »

quantAndHold wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:02 pm You got the Samsung. You had to get a french door Samsung.

No, it was the right size and got an extremely good deal on it. The store will honor the sale price for exact exchange. Getting something else will cost a lot more, and the good sales have long gone.
Compound

Post by Compound »

No, that door behavior is not normal. A slow close, sure. Slamming shut, no way.

Considering the installers couldn’t fix it (and if Samsung won’t send their own repair person), sounds like it’s time for a product replacement.
Topic Author
OldSport

Post by OldSport »

Compound wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:44 pm No, that door behavior is not normal. A slow close, sure. Slamming shut, no way.

Considering the installers couldn’t fix it (and if Samsung won’t send their own repair person), sounds like it’s time for a product replacement.
Yeah, the store didn't mention Samsung tech, since it was brand new and we had never used it, they just mentioned swapping it out for another.

For future reference if the next one also does this but to a lesser extent, how slow is acceptable for a "slow close"?

Like in I would think having to apply noticeable force to keep the door open when filled (especially for kids) would not be acceptable.

For reference, this door goes from full open to full closed in about a second.
mnsportsgeek

Post by mnsportsgeek »

Yes fridge doors are designed to close automatically if leveled properly. If you open it more than 45 degrees it should stay open. Open it less and it should close.

If it’s slamming shut it needs to be leveled properly. If it’s a slow close that’s exactly what you want.

If leveling it properly doesn’t it fix it, it needs to be repaired.

Sounds like you’ve taken all the right steps and it’s time to replace.
Topic Author
OldSport

Post by OldSport »

mnsportsgeek wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:56 pm Yes fridge doors are designed to close automatically if leveled properly. If you open it more than 45 degrees it should stay open. Open it less and it should close.

If it’s slamming shut it needs to be leveled properly. If it’s a slow close that’s exactly what you want.

If leveling it properly doesn’t it fix it, it needs to be repaired.

Sounds like you’ve taken all the right steps and it’s time to replace.
Yeah, if it "slow closed" in say > 3 seconds, probably would not have noticed that. Closing in < 1 second and having to use noticeable force when something is in it doesn't seem right.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

OldSport wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:13 pm
quantAndHold wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:02 pm You got the Samsung. You had to get a french door Samsung.

No, it was the right size and got an extremely good deal on it. The store will honor the sale price for exact exchange. Getting something else will cost a lot more, and the good sales have long gone.
Okay then. Good luck to you. I hope your luck is better than ours. Our first Samsung was replaced under warranty. The second one had a completely different set of problems.

Amazon and eBay sell parts, and there are YouTube videos on diagnosing and fixing the common problems.
jmw

Post by jmw »

OldSport wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:13 pm

I would return and refund. This is already starting out bad. I would never have chosen a Samsung no matter how much it is discounted.
Watty

Post by Watty »

On my refrigerator, which is a different brand, at the bottom of the door hinge there is a plastic bushing that is set at an angle has sloped angles on it. When you open the door it raises the door maybe an eighth to a quarter of an inch. When you let go of the door it slides down the angle closing the door. The one on my door wore out so I needed to replace it.

Here is a random one I found with a quick google.
https://www.amazon.com/Supplying-Demand ... B09TPZFHHS

I would suspect that something happened with that bushing that made the angle too steep or maybe someone put lubricant on it when they should not have.

I am not sure if that helps you but that could help at least understand what the problem is.
MrJones

Post by MrJones »

livesoft wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:31 pm Did someone above really suggest contacting a lawyer to get your refrigerator properly leveled?
Murica!
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:13 pm No they are absolutely not supposed to close swiftly on their own. This is because when they close, they vacuum shut to seal in the cold air, and there were cases involving kids and animals who got locked inside and froze to death because they were unable to push open the door in time. They are purposely made to avoid that accidentally occurring. Get it fixed or replaced by the manufacturer. This is a dangerous defect. And you wonder what they teach us in law school and why we turn out like this, lol. I do not practice in this area of product liability and tort law and this is not legal advice. Consult a lawyer or just call the manufacturer and ask for a free courtesy replacement.
older consumer fridges/freezers had mechanical latches with no way to release them from the inside...so those trapped would suffocate.

the solution was to move to using magnetic door seals.

no one's going to have trouble pushing those open from the inside.

people still do get locked inside commercial, walk-in freezers with mechanical latches & die.
junior

Post by junior »

ncbill wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:35 am
older consumer fridges/freezers had mechanical latches with no way to release them from the inside...so those trapped would suffocate.

people still do get locked inside commercial, walk-in freezers with mechanical latches & die.
With all of the shelves in my refrigerator I can't imagine a child accidently fitting inside. I can barely fit a carton of milk inside. The freezer might fit a child if there was nothing in the freezer, but the freezer doesn't automatically close at all.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

ncbill wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:35 am

Yep!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refrigera ... igerators.

From my link:

"....The Refrigerator Safety Act in 1956 was a U.S. law that required a change in the way refrigerator doors stay shut. It was codified at 15 U.S.C. 1211–1214 as Public Law 84-930, 70 Stat. 953, on 2 August 1956.[9] The act applied to all refrigerators manufactured in the United States after 31 October 1958, and is largely responsible for the adoption of the magnetic mechanism that is used today instead of a latch...."

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

My 20ish year old fridge has magnetic latches and both the fridge door and freezer door close slowly on their own. It is level.
45% Total Stock Market | 52% Consumer Staples | 3% Short Term Reserves
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

https://content.syndigo.com/asset/84223 ... iginal.pdf

Page 40, steps 3 & 4 - Are your clamps in place and locked?

Okay, check out page 43 - Do you have an applicable model?

"STEP 5 Adjust the door height

Adjusting the height with the height lever (applicable models only)
• Before aligning the door height, make
sure the refrigerator is level. Use the
leveling legs for this purpose.
• You can use the height lever at the
bottom of the right-side door of the
fridge. Open the right-side door of the
freezer with both fridge doors closed
and use the lever to adjust the door
height.
A
• Turn the height lever (A) until the two
doors are aligned at the top. Turn the
lever toward UP (as marked) to raise
the right-side door and turn it toward
DOWN (as marked) to lower the door.
• Lift the fridge door slightly to make
alignment easier. The maximum
adjustable height is 3 mm.
- The lever will not turn past the
maximum limit. It may make a noise
it if is turned too far.
- Excessive height may interfere with
the upper hinge cover of the fridge
door.
• If you align the door height with the
door bins empty and then store items in
the bins, the heights may differ again. If
this happens, follow the steps above to
realign the doors.
"
srt7

Post by srt7 »

Sounds like there's a "spirit" in your house that prefers warm weather :D
Taking care of tomorrow while enjoying today.