Should I get new iPhone?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mbres60

Should I get new iPhone?

Post by mbres60 »

I have the original iPhone SE which I got September 2016. It was my first smartphone. It is now six years later. Battery level has been at 90% for a while. With the new iPhones that just came out my phone can not get iOS 16. Is it still safe, as far as security, to keep my phone? It works fine for me right now. How long will Apple update my security system? Do I really need to buy a new phone now or will mine be safe for another year? If I were to get a new phone I would be inclined to get another SE. I don't like the big phones.

Thanks!
Normchad

Re: Should I get new iPhone?

Post by Normchad »

I would have no qualms about keeping the phone you already have. On the other hand, I like new stuff, so feel free to get a new one if you like. Six years is a long time…..
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

No. Your kids should give you a new phone as a gift. Don't get yourself a new phone and deny them the pleasure and ease of giving you something.

BTW, a Google Pixel 6a is not a big phone for those that do not like a big phone and is better and less expensive than an iPhone of the same size.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

Don't know if you NEED to, but they keep the SE model going if you still like the feel of the "old" iPhones. I liked the first-edition SE and the 2020 version.
N.Y.Cab

Post by N.Y.Cab »

6 years, that’s around 20 cents a day? Yes, I would upgrade to an iPhone 13 with a bigger and brighter display, more storage, great battery life plus 5G.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

familythriftmd wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:32 pm Don't know if you NEED to, but they keep the SE model going if you still like the feel of the "old" iPhones. I liked the first-edition SE and the 2020 version.
Fwiw we liked our original iPhone se. But our 2020 versions have been buggie as all get out. Ours actually seem worse than the older phones. They freeze quite often and have all sorts of bizarre problems.

It’s the first time I’ve been disappointed in an apple product. Probably won’t go with SEs in the next go round.
There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your Expected Returns
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

The phone you have will probably get security updates for another year at least, so I wouldn’t worry about it yet if you still like the phone.

But if you wanted a new phone and prefer smaller phones, the iPhone 13 comes in a mini version. The iPhone 14 doesn’t.
Topic Author
mbres60

Post by mbres60 »

quantAndHold wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:26 pm The phone you have will probably get security updates for another year at least, so I wouldn’t worry about it yet if you still like the phone.

But if you wanted a new phone and prefer smaller phones, the iPhone 13 comes in a mini version. The iPhone 14 doesn’t.
Thanks! I was concerned about the security updates and wasn't clear how long it would get them (can't be updated to new iOS 16). I have compared the different phones offered now and SE 3rd generation or iPhone 13 mini would be fine but then one reads and hears other people's problems. I shouldn't read as much! I have had no problems with this phone in the six years I have had it.
Conch55

Post by Conch55 »

We had iPhone 6s models which we replaced with iPhone 13's last November. The 6s phones were close to unsupported and performance issues were noticeable. We got 6 years out of them so I have no complaints and the newer phones will be supported going forward. Pleased overall, I'd upgrade.
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

ScubaHogg wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:19 pm
familythriftmd wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:32 pm Don't know if you NEED to, but they keep the SE model going if you still like the feel of the "old" iPhones. I liked the first-edition SE and the 2020 version.
Fwiw we liked our original iPhone se. But our 2020 versions have been buggie as all get out. Ours actually seem worse than the older phones. They freeze quite often and have all sorts of bizarre problems.

It’s the first time I’ve been disappointed in an apple product. Probably won’t go with SEs in the next go round.
Oh interesting. My 2020 SE has worked just fine. Wonder if it was a lemon for you?
daleddm

Post by daleddm »

Multiple 2016 SE phones in household and all have worked flawlessly ... recently did the 15.7 security updates without problem (and I don't do banking etc with phone anyway). What would a new model do that the current one can't?

At some point they'll be functionally orphaned for some program you actually might use ... that's a ways off for me. Picking up maps (maps.me) for travel and camera is 95% of use for mine. And I prefer wired headphones.

Friends 8 yr old looked at mine once and said "why is it so small?" ('Cause I like it that way...)

dm
Topic Author
mbres60

Post by mbres60 »

daleddm wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:05 pm Multiple 2016 SE phones in household and all have worked flawlessly ... recently did the 15.7 security updates without problem (and I don't do banking etc with phone anyway). What would a new model do that the current one can't?

At some point they'll be functionally orphaned for some program you actually might use ... that's a ways off for me. Picking up maps (maps.me) for travel and camera is 95% of use for mine. And I prefer wired headphones.

Friends 8 yr old looked at mine once and said "why is it so small?" ('Cause I like it that way...)

dm
Good to hear! Mine has worked flawlessly too (except finger print. works for two days then stops so I always use pin). I did the 15.7 security update too. Don't know why phone does not do it automatically as everything is checked off to say it will do it. Oh well. I don't do banking either. Besides calls I use it for email and googling. Use a few apps for the grocery stores and on rare occasions use Waze. If Apple continues to do security updates for another year or two (hopefully two?) it will be fine for me. I never had a different smartphone so this size is fine. DD just got a 14 (I think plus) that has three cameras. I picked it up and thought "boy is it heavy!".
Fremdon Ferndock

Post by Fremdon Ferndock »

Some people like the size of the SE - seems just right. I have the last of the mini iphone 13 they just stopped making. I don't have pockets big enough for these things anymore.
"Risk is what’s left over when you think you’ve thought of everything." ~ Morgan Housel
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

livesoft wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:28 pm No. Your kids should give you a new phone as a gift. Don't get yourself a new phone and deny them the pleasure and ease of giving you something.

BTW, a Google Pixel 6a is not a big phone for those that do not like a big phone and is better and less expensive than an iPhone of the same size.
A good idea if your kids have paid off their student loans, are saving enough for retirement, and don’t have kids of their own to pay for!

I think it’s also a good idea to update everyone’s phones every 6 years.

Note that a Google Pixel might only get 4 years of support.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

finite_difference wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:46 pmNote that a Google Pixel might only get 4 years of support.
OTOH, it also might be basically free to trade in an older Pixel phone for a newer Pixel phone. :) That also solves the problem of what to do with the old phone.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Fremdon Ferndock wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:39 pm Some people like the size of the SE - seems just right. I have the last of the mini iphone 13 they just stopped making. I don't have pockets big enough for these things anymore.
I have the 12-mini. I’m hoping by the time I need to replace it they will bring back the mini. Of course by then my needs may be different. Who knows, I might even revert to a clamshell.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

mbres60 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:14 pm
daleddm wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:05 pm Multiple 2016 SE phones in household and all have worked flawlessly ... recently did the 15.7 security updates without problem (and I don't do banking etc with phone anyway). What would a new model do that the current one can't?

dm
Good to hear! Mine has worked flawlessly too (except finger print. works for two days then stops so I always use pin). I did the 15.7 security update too. Don't know why phone does not do it automatically as everything is checked off to say it will do it. Oh well. I don't do banking either. Besides calls I use it for email and googling. Use a few apps for the grocery stores and on rare occasions use Waze. If Apple continues to do security updates for another year or two (hopefully two?) it will be fine for me. I never had a different smartphone so this size is fine. DD just got a 14 (I think plus) that has three cameras. I picked it up and thought "boy is it heavy!".
Within our immediate family we have an original SE, the SE 2020 and an iPhone 13 mini. I have seen little different in reliability. The original iPhone SE has struggled with some apps snd websites for a couple of years. It is used predominantly just for calls right now. The display quality and camera are noticeably superior on the mini, the newest and most expensive of the 3 phones. Much much nicer than the original SE. The 2020 SE was a great value at the time and is perfectly functional.

The security updates to ioS 15 are likely not going to last as long as you are hoping. ioS 14 updates stopped sometime around the end of the year, 2021. If the follow the same pattern, you will only have a few months before updates end for ioS 15. I would suggest you start looking now. The holiday season (Nov. &Dec) is a great time to get a deal.
plutoblackhole

Post by plutoblackhole »

I just replaced our two iPhone 7 with iPhone SE 2022 a month ago. The old phones were okay, battery degrading a bit, and some things felt slow. We would have kept them longer but decided it’s time to upgrade.

The one unexpected thing is that we now get cell service in Costco, Walmart, Home Depot, etc. I used to think nobody got reception there but it’s likely that the old phone just didn’t support as many bands.
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

“Should I get new iPhone?”
What does Tim Cook say?

According to my wife: Of course you should.
She just traded in her 13 Pro Max for a 14 Pro Max.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
mnsportsgeek

Post by mnsportsgeek »

I'd get a new one if it wasn't getting software updates anymore. That's me. Plenty of people wouldn't care. If it works and meets your needs, I don't think you "need" anything more.
mnsportsgeek

Post by mnsportsgeek »

livesoft wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:28 pm No. Your kids should give you a new phone as a gift. Don't get yourself a new phone and deny them the pleasure and ease of giving you something.

I mean, respectfully, the 6a loses in benchmarks to the iPhone SE (3rd gen). Like by a ton. And the SE is cheaper.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

mnsportsgeek wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:19 pm I mean, respectfully, the 6a loses in benchmarks to the iPhone SE (3rd gen). Like by a ton. And the SE is cheaper.
Not the camera. Also how can the SE be cheaper than free?
stan1

Post by stan1 »

If you are using it mostly as a phone for calls and texts I'd say keep using it as long as you can.

If you do a lot of web browsing or use a lot of apps then get a new one, such as a SE or 13 mini (smallest current size). If you use the internet connection a lot you'll be amazed at the difference in the speed as well as the display since 6 years ago. You've gotten your money's worth out of the old phone at this point. If you want the mini smaller size now's the time to get it as it probably won't be around much longer.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

mbres60 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:22 pm I have the original iPhone SE which I got September 2016. It was my first smartphone. It is now six years later. Battery level has been at 90% for a while. With the new iPhones that just came out my phone can not get iOS 16. Is it still safe, as far as security, to keep my phone? It works fine for me right now. How long will Apple update my security system? Do I really need to buy a new phone now or will mine be safe for another year? If I were to get a new phone I would be inclined to get another SE. I don't like the big phones.

Thanks!
What are your priorities?
What features and apps do you use on your existing iPhone?
Camera?
Music and streaming?
etc?
Email only or email and text or full browsing capability?
Is the current memory capacity enough or is it near full?
What is your budget?
Can you afford to pay for the newest iPhone?
Will it fit "your needs" (not others) for years to come such that you will be glad you got it now?

I hope this is helpful.
j :D

For myself: my iPhone 7plus has gone through 2 battery changes, the memory is near full, and the battery capacity is drifting down again. I just ordered (cash from Apple) the new iPhone 14 Pro Plus mega dollar fully loaded model and am looking forward to increased memory capacity, the large clear screen (for me. . bad eyes).., and the wonderful camera of which I use all the time, as well as many other uses every day, etc. But, my needs are different than yours.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

mbres60 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:39 pm
quantAndHold wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:26 pm The phone you have will probably get security updates for another year at least, so I wouldn’t worry about it yet if you still like the phone.

Thanks! I was concerned about the security updates and wasn't clear how long it would get them (can't be updated to new iOS 16). I have compared the different phones offered now and SE 3rd generation or iPhone 13 mini would be fine but then one reads and hears other people's problems. I shouldn't read as much! I have had no problems with this phone in the six years I have had it.
You do not need iOS 16 to get security and bug fix updates. Apple supports the last three versions of iOS.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
Topic Author
mbres60

Post by mbres60 »

Freefun wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:34 pm

You do not need iOS 16 to get security and bug fix updates. Apple supports the last three versions of iOS.
iOS 14 stopped being supported by the end of last year. I have 15 so that might stop by the end of this year or next... who knows?
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

mbres60 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:49 pm
Freefun wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:34 pm

iOS 14 stopped being supported by the end of last year. I have 15 so that might stop by the end of this year or next... who knows?
Likely 2 years (when iOS 18 is announced)

iOS 14 was dropped a bit early because all phones that supported iOS 14 also supported iOS 15.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
Topic Author
mbres60

Post by mbres60 »

Sandtrap wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:29 pm
mbres60 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:22 pm I have the original iPhone SE which I got September 2016. It was my first smartphone. It is now six years later. Battery level has been at 90% for a while. With the new iPhones that just came out my phone can not get iOS 16. Is it still safe, as far as security, to keep my phone? It works fine for me right now. How long will Apple update my security system? Do I really need to buy a new phone now or will mine be safe for another year? If I were to get a new phone I would be inclined to get another SE. I don't like the big phones.

Thanks!
What are your priorities?
What features and apps do you use on your existing iPhone?
Camera?
Music and streaming?
etc?
Email only or email and text or full browsing capability?
Is the current memory capacity enough or is it near full?
What is your budget?
Can you afford to pay for the newest iPhone?
Will it fit "your needs" (not others) for years to come such that you will be glad you got it now?

I hope this is helpful.
j :D

For myself: my iPhone 7plus has gone through 2 battery changes, the memory is near full, and the battery capacity is drifting down again. I just ordered (cash from Apple) the new iPhone 14 Pro Plus mega dollar fully loaded model and am looking forward to increased memory capacity, the large clear screen (for me. . bad eyes).., and the wonderful camera of which I use all the time, as well as many other uses every day, etc. But, my needs are different than yours.
Good questions! Earlier I did mention that the apps I mostly use are supermarket ones, rare occasions Uber (really rare), Waze. I really don't stream on my phone. Occasionally FaceTime. Mostly use Safari to google something. I do take photos but since Covid I don't travel much so no travel pictures. I can afford any phone I want but don't see the need to spend a lot as I am not a heavy user.

My current phone has 64 gig but have only used 29 gigs (this is after I deleted some cookies. Before that I had used about 34 gigs).
mnsportsgeek

Post by mnsportsgeek »

livesoft wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:24 pm
mnsportsgeek wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:19 pm I mean, respectfully, the 6a loses in benchmarks to the iPhone SE (3rd gen). Like by a ton. And the SE is cheaper.
Not the camera. Also how can the SE be cheaper than free?
:oops:
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I have a first gen SE and have no intention of replacing it. I have chargers next to my TV, next to my bed and in all our cars. So battery life is a "who cares?" to me. If it lasts more than an hour, it's overkill. If it dies, I'll revive my 4S.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Topic Author
mbres60

Post by mbres60 »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:12 pm I have a first gen SE and have no intention of replacing it. I have chargers next to my TV, next to my bed and in all our cars. So battery life is a "who cares?" to me. If it lasts more than an hour, it's overkill. If it dies, I'll revive my 4S.
Isn't it worth $49 to get a new battery? My battery health says 90% but would not be surprised if it soon goes to 89%. I charge it every night. Some days it is at about 72% when I start to charge but many times it could be in the 50% range.

I am mostly concerned about security. If Apple stops sending me updates then I would definitely get a new phone. Sounds like you are not concerned about security if you would revive your 4S.
FIRWYW

Post by FIRWYW »

Former SE owner handed down to kid and got 6s which I replaced with a 13 mini when the kid broke the original se. I intermittently log into investment and bank accounts from the phone. At that old I would recommend upgrading if you do similar. Otherwise all those worked for me and would still use them if not broken andsecurity updates were continued. If like me, you hate big phones, go 13 mini. If Apple keeps making them bigger, this is my last iphone. I really don’t understand the bigger and bigger phones that don’t fit in a normal pocket. (Boy I sound old, but it is a phone. Not doing the video and photo editing I do on my m1 MacBook Air, etc)
Fremdon Ferndock

FIRWYW wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:21 pm Former SE owner handed down to kid and got 6s which I replaced with a 13 mini when the kid broke the original se. I intermittently log into investment and bank accounts from the phone. At that old I would recommend upgrading if you do similar. Otherwise all those worked for me and would still use them if not broken andsecurity updates were continued. If like me, you hate big phones, go 13 mini. If Apple keeps making them bigger, this is my last iphone. I really don’t understand the bigger and bigger phones that don’t fit in a normal pocket. (Boy I sound old, but it is a phone. Not doing the video and photo editing I do on my m1 MacBook Air, etc)
I agree. I had a 12 Mini but decided to upgrade to the 13 Mini since it's the last Mini and I plan to hang onto it as long as possible -- maybe until Apple comes to it's senses and re-issues it. Got over $300 trade so the hit wasn't too bad on the 13.
"Risk is what’s left over when you think you’ve thought of everything." ~ Morgan Housel
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Fremdon Ferndock wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:51 am
FIRWYW wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:21 pm Former SE owner handed down to kid and got 6s which I replaced with a 13 mini when the kid broke the original se. I intermittently log into investment and bank accounts from the phone. At that old I would recommend upgrading if you do similar. Otherwise all those worked for me and would still use them if not broken andsecurity updates were continued. If like me, you hate big phones, go 13 mini. If Apple keeps making them bigger, this is my last iphone. I really don’t understand the bigger and bigger phones that don’t fit in a normal pocket. (Boy I sound old, but it is a phone. Not doing the video and photo editing I do on my m1 MacBook Air, etc)
I agree. I had a 12 Mini but decided to upgrade to the 13 Mini since it's the last Mini and I plan to hang onto it as long as possible -- maybe until Apple comes to it's senses and re-issues it. Got over $300 trade so the hit wasn't too bad on the 13.
I looked at that too (12-mini to 13-mini) but my quick read was that it is only a slight processor upgrade and everything else is the same; based on that I concluded that my 12 would last just as long. But I only looked at it quickly.
Fremdon Ferndock

jebmke wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:54 am
I looked at that too (12-mini to 13-mini) but my quick read was that it is only a slight processor upgrade and everything else is the same; based on that I concluded that my 12 would last just as long. But I only looked at it quickly.
13 was supposed to have a little better battery life. So far, I haven't really noticed a difference but I wasn't precisely keeping track.
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

livesoft wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:55 pm
finite_difference wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:46 pmNote that a Google Pixel might only get 4 years of support.
OTOH, it also might be basically free to trade in an older Pixel phone for a newer Pixel phone. :) That also solves the problem of what to do with the old phone.
Those trade-ins aren’t “free”. The carriers lock you into a 2-year contract and include various fees to make up the price of the phone.

The iPhones also hold up really well in price so can eBay them for 30% of what you paid for them, even after 4-5 years.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Fremdon Ferndock wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:34 am
jebmke wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:54 am
13 was supposed to have a little better battery life. So far, I haven't really noticed a difference but I wasn't precisely keeping track.
For me, the 13 mini is absolutely perfect. I’m surprised it isn’t more popular…….
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Normchad wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:55 am For me, the 13 mini is absolutely perfect. I’m surprised it isn’t more popular…….
I had same reaction with 12-Mini. But a lot of people use their phones more like a tablet and also watch/view videos and pix so they need larger screen and longer battery life. Size and weight is more important to me. I guess we are in the minority.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

finite_difference wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:47 amThose trade-ins aren’t “free”. The carriers lock you into a 2-year contract and include various fees to make up the price of the phone.
My phones are unlocked and in my personal case had nothing to do with carrier. I only point this out because I think what you mentioned is typical, but is not always the case.
Fremdon Ferndock

jebmke wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:01 am
Normchad wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:55 am For me, the 13 mini is absolutely perfect. I’m surprised it isn’t more popular…….
I had same reaction with 12-Mini. But a lot of people use their phones more like a tablet and also watch/view videos and pix so they need larger screen and longer battery life. Size and weight is more important to me. I guess we are in the minority.
I thought I was the only person in creation who had one. Glad to hear others like it too. Maybe there's hope...
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

livesoft wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:45 am
finite_difference wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:47 amThose trade-ins aren’t “free”. The carriers lock you into a 2-year contract and include various fees to make up the price of the phone.
My phones are unlocked and in my personal case had nothing to do with carrier. I only point this out because I think what you mentioned is typical, but is not always the case.
Nobody just gives out a phone for free with no strings attached. If you really, truly, honestly got a new phone for free with no strings attached, it was by a method that isn’t available to OP. So the advice to get a free phone somewhere isn’t really actionable.
Topic Author
mbres60

Post by mbres60 »

I just googled asking when Apple would stop doing security updates for ios15 (that is what I have) and found that they seem to stop doing updates a few months after a new iOS comes out in order to give people a chance to update. Hmmm. Seems like that could be by the end of the year as someone else thought in a previous post. Not sure I want to have a phone that does not have up to date security.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

quantAndHold wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:03 pm Nobody just gives out a phone for free with no strings attached. If you really, truly, honestly got a new phone for free with no strings attached, it was by a method that isn’t available to OP. So the advice to get a free phone somewhere isn’t really actionable.
What are you talking about? I first suggested that the OP get a phone as a gift. That's a common way to get something for free.
starboi

Post by starboi »

quantAndHold wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:03 pm
livesoft wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:45 am
Nobody just gives out a phone for free with no strings attached. If you really, truly, honestly got a new phone for free with no strings attached, it was by a method that isn’t available to OP. So the advice to get a free phone somewhere isn’t really actionable.
You mean Santa's not real?
westie

Post by westie »

Just looked up trade in value through Verizon for my Iphone XR ...$86. Pocket change.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

westie wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:58 am Just looked up trade in value through Verizon for my Iphone XR ...$86. Pocket change.
The sweet spot for trade ins and resell is at about 2 years after release. After that use it until it is too slow, no longer supported, or not economically repairable. By that I mean some people would put a new battery in a phone after 5 years and try to use it for a few more which might be OK if the performance of the phone is still otherwise acceptable. I suppose some people will use a phone with cracked glass by choice or need for years too.

Personally I use my phone extensively for internet not just calls and texts so the processor and display upgrades are important to me.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Seems crazy to me to be using a 6 year old phone but I suppose if you just talk and occasionally text it is fine.

My experience is that if you’re someone who uses a prepaid carrier—which if you’re single or a couple is usually price advantageous—the sweet spot to upgrade is near every single year. Apple has been giving such large trade in values for prior year phones, you basically can always have the latest and greatest for about $380/yr. And if you’re only spending $15-$20/mo on phone service you can practically always have the newest phone for roughly $50/mo all in.

If you’re someone who uses a postpaid carrier and have multiple lines (4 or 5 phones per account) the sweet spot seems to be very 2 years if you’re willing to hop between providers every 2 years. I mean, T-Mobile is giving $1000 trade in value for 2 year old phones. If you have like 5 people on a plan you can get yourself $5000 worth of free phones and service that costs $50/mo. Plus you’ll be getting things like Netflix, AppleTV+, etc.
meebers

Post by meebers »

If you watched the new iphone 14 ad, it states "You need this". Irritating marketing, IHMO
CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady »

Jags4186 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:21 am Seems crazy to me to be using a 6 year old phone but I suppose if you just talk and occasionally text it is fine.

My experience is that if you’re someone who uses a prepaid carrier—which if you’re single or a couple is usually price advantageous—the sweet spot to upgrade is near every single year. Apple has been giving such large trade in values for prior year phones, you basically can always have the latest and greatest for about $380/yr. And if you’re only spending $15-$20/mo on phone service you can practically always have the newest phone for roughly $50/mo all in.

If you’re someone who uses a postpaid carrier and have multiple lines (4 or 5 phones per account) the sweet spot seems to be very 2 years if you’re willing to hop between providers every 2 years. I mean, T-Mobile is giving $1000 trade in value for 2 year old phones. If you have like 5 people on a plan you can get yourself $5000 worth of free phones and service that costs $50/mo. Plus you’ll be getting things like Netflix, AppleTV+, etc.
I have a 5.5 year old android phone that is still in mint condition (rarely out of its case) and just bought a new phone only because they stopped doing updates about a year or so ago and I was worried about security. I switched to the iPhone because of the guaranteed five years of updates and will likely hold on to it for at least that long (with the caveat that I may trade in earlier if they add touch ID and USB-C).

Which prepaid carriers offer such large trade in discounts? I looked before buying my phone and the best I found was the $200 GC and free AirPods from Visible.
elderwise

Post by elderwise »

I think iphone 13 you would find good deals on. It has sim slot which I personally consider indispensable...

Other than the higher MP camera & satellite features.. iphone 12 or 13 would still serve you good for years to come.

The new SE isn't as good as the 1st gen SE. This I agree with others.. batt life just ain't good.

Also if you are going mini route go Iph13 mini not 12 mini.