Image Orientation Issues

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
roamingzebra

Image Orientation Issues

Post by roamingzebra »

I've been using a phone camera to take photos of hardcopy family photos -- a form of cheap digitization. I've noticed the orientation is off in some desktop image viewers and media players. I'm looking to understand better how orientation works.

Things I've learned so far:

1. When taking pictures of photos flat on a table, the camera sensors sometimes need to be "nudged" into the right orientation.

2. I've had mixed results using Exif. I've tried modifying the Orientation tag, eliminating the Orientation tag, or doing both (eliminating, then reseting to a new Orientation)

3. I have an old media player that continues to give wrong results for vertical pictures. I think the solution there is to always take photos in landscape mode.

WHERE I NEED HELP

1. Overall, I'm just trying to understand how much of orientation issues is related to Exif and how much is related to something internal to the camera and it's position sensors.

2. Do the position sensors orient photos on a pixel level?

I've never had orientation issues before. Maybe it's because I normally don't photograph items that are laid flat on a table.

Also, the media player that I'm using is old and cheap. It works great with video and music -- accommodating just about every format possible -- but it continues to give mixed results with JPEGs.