Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
grabiner
Advisory Board

"Your posts" search missing new posts

Post by grabiner »

I regularly do a search of my posts:

search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=topics&author_id=182

But the top thread on that list was last updated at 3:27 PM EDT on September 17. There have been follow-ups on several posts since then; in fact, notifications shows three threads in which I had posted and someone quoted me.
Wiki David Grabiner
Topic Author
grabiner
Advisory Board

Re: "Your posts" search missing new posts

Post by grabiner »

The regular search for my posts:

search.php?keywords=&terms=all&author=g ... mit=Search

is even worse; it shows only posts made through September 14, several days ago.
Wiki David Grabiner
student

Post by student »

Interesting, I clicked to search your posts and I see your most recent posts.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

It's asynchronously updated and it appears sometimes there's a lag. Not a huge issue imo but could be annoying sometimes.
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

Do this search instead (works for anyone who is logged into the site):

search.php?search_id=egosearch
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Marseille07 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:30 pm It's asynchronously updated and it appears sometimes there's a lag. Not a huge issue imo but could be annoying sometimes.
The forum software has several ways to configure the search. We're using a configuration that has a few minutes delay (asynchronous update). We made this change in March 2022 due to problems with the original configuration. See: Re: Forum software upgrade bug reports and change requests The prior configuration updated the search info immediately.

What's not apparent to readers is that the search feature is used for lots of things.
Alex Frakt wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:46 am Do this search instead (works for anyone who is logged into the site):

search.php?search_id=egosearch
In human readable format, it's the Your posts link which appears in the "Quick links" menu at the top of the page. The search engine is looking for your posts instead of something you type in the search box.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

Marseille07 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:30 pm It's asynchronously updated and it appears sometimes there's a lag. Not a huge issue imo but could be annoying sometimes.
I understand the possible lag; the issue I reported was that the lag was much too long last night (at least three hours for the ego search, and three days using the regular search). It's back to normal now.
Wiki David Grabiner
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Asynchronous makes sense because chances are, you can wait for a few minutes delay and most people don't immediately go searching their posts anyway.

But I guess maybe there are situations where it's not a few minutes but several hours, as grabiner reported.

The site admins would need to measure the lag somehow and monitor it, if they want to investigate further.
Last edited by Marseille07 on Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

grabiner wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:19 am
I understand the possible lag; the issue I reported was that the lag was much too long last night (at least three hours for the ego search, and three days using the regular search). It's back to normal now.
I have noticed this too, I just figured that it took a while for the forum software to catch up. It is however near the bottom of the list of things that concern me but it has come to my attention.
A fool and his money are good for business.