New Refrigerator - Samsung vs LG - need to decide in 2 days

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
OldSport

Re: New Refrigerator - Samsung vs LG - need to decide in 2 days

Post by OldSport »

eagleeyes wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:22 pm I don’t have any recommendations for you, but I would recommend visiting the yale appliance blog. They have nice reviews of most refrigerators.

Also, given they also repair the brands they sell, they provide data spanning several years about which brands have the most callbacks. Likely worth a visit

One more thing. I wouldn’t rush to make a decision because of a sale. Saving a few hundred dollars because you were feeling pressured may lead to future regret. It reminds of the car salesman pressure tactic, “this car won’t last long at these prices! Buy now!”

Good luck
Indeed. Yes, Yale said that LG used to have compressor issues but they fixed them in 2019 and now offer 10 year compressor warranty.
Bogle7

New Sub-Zero Refrigerator

Post by Bogle7 »

Sub-Zero.
Excellent warranty.
Super quiet.
You don’t need 30 cuft, you think you want that size.
Last edited by Bogle7 on Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
Topic Author
OldSport

Post by OldSport »

Yale blog actually said that newer LG refrigerators have a lower service rate and Samsung aren't bad. That LG and Samsung are by far the most popular mainstream brands (understandable, they have really good designs), so where sheer number of complaints on forums and demand for parts will be higher as they are most popular brands sold, but as % of units sold, they are not had, with LG being a bit more reliable than Samsung. Interestingly the high end brands were more inconsistent and a mixed bag with Sub Zero being very reliable and Electolux being terrible.
Last edited by OldSport on Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

We bought a french door Kenmore in 2017 with ice and water through the door which was an LG brand underneath the Kenmore label. It worked well overall; the ice maker was a little problematic. It had a pretty small bin and would sometimes freeze up. Luckily I watched some YouTube videos on how to fix that problem, so it was mostly manageable.

When we or should I say my wife decided that 21 years was long enough for our original kitchen, we did a kitchen remodel and went with Frigidaire Gallery appliances. They are working well, including the refrigerator, a french door model with ice and water through the door. I like the ice maker as it has a much larger capacity and a simpler design overall. This is very similar to the refrigerator we got:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/FRIGIDAIRE- ... 40#overlay

The LG / Kenmore is happily running in the garage now without the ice / water hookup (which solves its main issue). It feels a bit decadent to have two newer french door refrigerators but it is, as they say, what it is.

I have not had any experience with Samsung refrigerators, but have not been all that happy with our Samsung washer and dryer (we had the exploding drum washer model that got recalled) and also had to replace a $300 control board a couple of years after we got it. We also had a Samsung over the range microwave that died after about 2-1/2 years, so i personally avoid that brand for the most part except for things like TVs.

Appliance buying feels a bit like a crapshoot these days; I don’t feel like any brand fills me with complete confidence to be honest.
Last edited by Kenkat on Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jpohio

Post by jpohio »

Subzero. Had ours 22 years, get it cleaned annually, no issues. Neighbor owns appliance repair company, says they cannot get LG parts. Also said subzero by far the best quality. To be fair, have not owned LG or Samsung refrigerator.
Topic Author
OldSport

Re: New Sub-Zero Refrigerator

Post by OldSport »

Bogle7 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:52 pm Sub-Zero.
Excellent warranty.
Haha true. They look nice. Issue is they are only counter-depth and my standard 36" wide would be far too small for our needs, not to mention 4x the price of anything else I'm considering. I don't think it will last 4 times as long as a Samung or LG. That would be 20-50 years.
Topic Author
OldSport

Post by OldSport »

jpohio wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:59 pm Subzero. Had ours 22 years, get it cleaned annually, no issues. Neighbor owns appliance repair company, says they cannot get LG parts. Also said subzero by far the best quality. To be fair, have not owned LG or Samsung refrigerator.
Hello, can you please ask your neighbor about Samsung parts, how that compares to LG. Would really appreciate that. Is this just a recent temporary COVID/supply chain thing, or has that been a consistent issue since before pandemic?

I can afford a subzero, but I don't think they make a standard depth French door that is 36" wide that is 28+ cu ft.

Would really appreciate your neighbors opinion on a French door 36" wide standard depth stainless steel refrigerator 28+ cu ft that is also quiet for compressor/fans. I could really care less about water or ice and can give or take it.

Thanks!
Topic Author
OldSport

Post by OldSport »

The only sub zero that fits my space is only 20.5 cu ft and costs nearly $14k. Um... no.

I had slightly larger refrigerators in apartments.
Topic Author
OldSport

Post by OldSport »

jpohio wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:59 pm Subzero. Had ours 22 years, get it cleaned annually, no issues. Neighbor owns appliance repair company, says they cannot get LG parts. Also said subzero by far the best quality. To be fair, have not owned LG or Samsung refrigerator.
Yes, I'll bet it is and excellent quality, impressive, and well performing product. However, the subzero is > 4 times expensive than the LG and > 6 times more expensive than the Samsung. Both are almost 50% larger than the sub-zero.

However if DS moves up the ladder, and we move to higher end place with a custom designed kitchen, I'd definitely put a 48" sub-zero at top of the list. Excellent product, just not right for us now.
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

I echo many other commenters on this thread.
Don't buy a Samsung refrigerator, especially the 3-door model.
Samsung customer service is terrible and the product is not great so you need customer service.

I had a Samsung fridge build up ice on the back panel. Samsung refused to even admit there was a problem, let alone do something about it, despite hundreds/thousands of complaints. Class action lawsuit didn't go anywhere.
Finally some enterprising independent 3rd-party figured out a solution for about $500. It was cheaper than buying a new refrigerator!
Topic Author
OldSport

Post by OldSport »

doobiedoo wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:15 pm I echo many other commenters on this thread.
Samsung customer service is terrible and the product is not great so you need customer service.

I had a Samsung fridge build up ice on the back panel. Samsung refused to even admit there was a problem, let alone do something about it, despite hundreds/thousands of complaints. Class action lawsuit didn't go anywhere.
Finally some enterprising independent 3rd-party figured out a solution for about $500. It was cheaper than buying a new refrigerator!
Is that still a problem with the current/modern Samsung models, or was that older ones? I read something about that for 5-10 year old ones, or is that just when the issue starts?
Topic Author
OldSport

Post by OldSport »

I'm honestly a bit stressed here. We NEED a refrigerator sooner than later.

We NEED at least 28 cu ft for needs. Because of our kitchen design and counter locations, only French door will do, and it HAS to be quiet.

Everyone is telling me to cross out anything that fits.

This is causing stress and anxiety as NOTHING seems to fit.

I realize nothing is perfect and this will likely be a "sucks least" option that must have no deal-breakers.

Would really appreciate advice that gives something that best fits our needs. Again, noisy is a deal breaker, as we LOVE watching movies together.

If I'm only spending $2k, then 5-7 years of relatively trouble-free operation (aside from ice maker) would be acceptable. If I'm spending $3k plus, then I'd want closer to 10 years.
ddbtoth

Post by ddbtoth »

Never a Samsung except for TVs.
ondarvr

Post by ondarvr »

After agonizing over it and researching for several days I ended up with this one.
Very quiet, we love the added shelf space of not having it be a side by side. Internal ice maker that works without a problem.
It's only 25.2 sqft. though. I've had it for three years.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Whirlpool-25-2 ... 1000228559

I had other high end models that needed repairs too often and didn't want to spend money on features and gadgets that fail far too soon.
Last edited by ondarvr on Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Chill out(pun intended :D )

How about this 28.7 cu foot GE at Costco for less than $2k.

https://www.costco.com/ge-energy-star-2 ... 16152.html
OldSport wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:00 pm Issue is they are only counter-depth and my standard 36" wide would be far too small for our needs....
If it is narrow for the space for it you can get an insert made to fill in any gap and they even make pull out spice racks that you can use to fill the gap by a refrigerator, but you may need to have the front panel custom made. You might also want to look into having an entirely custom spice rack made that will be exactly right.

Note: an important lesson is that when you are laying out a kitchen only use standard size openings for appliances.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

OldSport wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:19 pm I'm hoping the Samsung defrost issues have been resolved, but am curious, how much has that cost to have repaired for those who have had it? I'm assuming that is much more fixable and cheaper than a compressor failure?
I had extended warranty as I knew going in about the ice maker. Didn’t get the actual bill but part replaced looks to be $150. Took two trips (diagnosed) and back a week later with part. I’m guessing labor would have been another $200?
OldSport wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:21 pm
doobiedoo wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:15 pm I echo many other commenters on this thread.

Is that still a problem with the current/modern Samsung models, or was that older ones? I read something about that for 5-10 year old ones, or is that just when the issue starts?
Class action is the old model.
enad

Post by enad »

OldSport wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:47 pm We need a new refrigerator. We've been putting it off for a while, but it is time.

We have need for a large capacity French door style stainless steel refrigerator. There are very good sales that will end in a few days, so we want to purchase while the sales are still in place.

Given the size we need (29-30 cu ft), that leaves us with Samsung or LG. Appreciate thoughts on this.

The only places nearby we can purchase from are Best Buy, Home Depot, and Lowes. All cost the same price. However, the extended warranties are MUCH MORE expensive at Best Buy, like almost double Lowes or Home Depot.

If it is worth getting the 5-yr extended warranty on a new French door LG or Samsung refrigerator, then would not buy at Best Buy.

DS wants the standard 3-door French door. Not one with the extra flex door, thinking it's "more to break"
Whichever one you purchase, I suggest purchasing a Surge Eliminator (not Surge Suppressor) for it. It's known as a Series Mode Filter and are made by SurgeX (Advanced Series Mode) and Zero Surge, Inc (Series Mode). They are available in 15A or 20A configurations and basically don't wear out vs. the ones with Metal Oxide Varistors (MOV's). MOV's work by diverting the surge (some of into what it's trying to protect and most of it split between the NEUTRAL and SAFETY GROUND wires on the outlet where it has a 2nd life and a chance to do more damage. Surges are cumulative so while they may not do immediate damage they will over time. A friend kept replacing circuit card after circuit card and after the warranty period was over was faced with another replacement. I gave him a Zero Surge model and he's had no issues ever since. You can get them for under $50 on eBay either new old stock, or used. Since they don't rely on MOV's they will literally outlast your lifetime.
What Goes Up Must come down -- David Clayton-Thomas (1968), BST
richardglm

Post by richardglm »

I probably won't ever buy LG again after my brand-new clothes dryer broke almost immediately and LG took almost a month to ship the replacement part via warranty which was otherwise available with overnight shipping from LG's own parts website.

I can almost understand dealing with reliability issues or supply chain problems but the utter contempt from their warranty support was too much.
ondarvr

Post by ondarvr »

OldSport wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:57 pm
seawolf21 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:55 pm
OldSport wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:56 pm This is the Samsung one we are considering:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-be ... Variations

This is the LG one we are considering:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-29-7-cu ... Id=6395329

Pros to the Samsung:
Really like the internal space and layout
Seems very modern
$1000 less :moneybag

Concerns about the Samsung:
No door handles
No external temperature controls or dispensers
Cheapish looking black plastic on sides of doors (maybe not a big deal) vs. nice stainless steel front

Pros to the LG:
Door handles
Stainless steel all around door fronts and sides
External temperature controls
External ice & water dispenser

Cons to the LG:
$1000 more expensive :greedy

We can afford either without issue. Had heard anecdotally that LG refrigerators were more reliable than Samsung, but not sure if that is valid or still the case.

Really appreciate opinions and experiences as we would like to purchase in 2 days to avoid paying 20+% more.

If no refrigerators are reliable, then why no extended warranty? Best Buy's are ridiculously overpriced, but the Home Depot or Lowest don't seem overpriced.
The Samsung ice maker is supposedly redesigned to avoid ice maker issues you might have read online. The previous model (door has handles) had issues (ice maker frosting over) which my extended warranty paid for itself already or you can turn it off when the bin is full to prevent frosting. Don't know if the redesign solves the problem. Didn't have any issues with parts availability with ice maker and LED light going out; all covered by Lowes extended warranty.

Samsung can keep items by the door around 40F. The LG can't because of it has more plastic barrier between the main compartment and door shelves (you can see what I mean in one of the LG pictures).

Do you have Costco membership? You may want to check to see if they carry these/similar models.
We have Costco membership, but they didn't carry the specific models. Some were higher up models that were more expensive. Also, don't know if Costco would have the same level of installation and haul away service as an option. Do not want to hire a separate third party to do that.
Costco has the best delivery and removal of the old unit policy of any of them, I always go that route.
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

FWIW, I've had 2 Samsungs (double door w/icemaker) and never had a problem or needed a repair. I never had an LG. My old GE needed a new compressor, but only after many years.

I like the Samsungs because they seem very quiet and they keep the temperature steady and there is no annoying frost in the freezer and they don't accidentally freeze things in the refrigerator area. And they smell clean when operating, not musty or sour.
The GE had all these faults.
Ripcord

Post by Ripcord »

Stay away from LG and Samsung appliances. Our 4 year old LG had the compressor go out. It would have cost more to repair than replace. Talking to the repair guy it's a known issue with LG and Samsung in the industry. They just don't last long becuase they use cheap parts in the lower end models. We went with a whirlpool refrigerator from Costco direct and have been very happy.
ondarvr

Post by ondarvr »

I did a complete kitchen remodel and went with the GE Profile line for all items, fridge, double oven, stove top, dishwasher, and Microwave. They were very quiet and we liked them at first, but each one broke at least once in seven years, some two or three times, I just threw out the microwave.

When I shopped to replace these disappointing purchases I researched all brands extensively, the results were about what you've read here. LG and Samsung were popular due to design and features, but if, I mean when, it had problems they were rarely resolved in a timely or satisfactory way in the owner's opinion.
Last edited by ondarvr on Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

sport wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:44 pm We bought a Whirlpool french door unit, 28 cu ft. It is quiet. We would have bought a Kitchenaid. It is the same manufacturer but has more features. However, our old unit had died and the delivery time for the Kitchenaid was a lot longer. So, we bought the Whirlpool. We have been happy with it. I believe Whirlpool/Kithenaid are also available from Costco.
+1. Try Whirlpool or GE 28 cubic feet from Costco.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
GW208

Post by GW208 »

j9j wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:29 pm
tomd37 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:06 pm OldSport - You asked the forum for comments, you received many responses concerning the experienced quality of Samsung and LG products, yet you refuse to accept personal experience from people who have owned them and have had issues with them. Do whatever you want. :?
Thank you for stating this. Too many hard requirements to find a solution.
My feelings exactly!!

OldSport, for the love of God, just flip a coin and take your chances.
ondarvr

Post by ondarvr »

GW208 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:29 pm
tomd37 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:06 pm OldSport - You asked the forum for comments, you received many responses concerning the experienced quality of Samsung and LG products, yet you refuse to accept personal experience from people who have owned them and have had issues with them. Do whatever you want. :?
My feelings exactly!!

The OP indicated price wasn't an affordability issue, he just didn't want to replace it too soon. In that case I'd go with lower cost model with no extra features and hope it lasts long enough, then replace it when needed. I don't consider appliances as long term purchases anymore, they rarely last, so get something that's adequate and expect to replace it. You're just leasing it short term.
RichL

Post by RichL »

We purchased all new Samsung kitchen appliances in mid-2016. I will never buy another appliance from them, everything failed within 3-4 years. The customer service was really challenging and spare parts were never available (and that was before Covid).

The fridge had the ice maker fail, cooling back panel ice up constantly, and the compressor became really loud within a year (could be heard over the TV In the other room).
Topic Author
OldSport

Post by OldSport »

finite_difference wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:24 pm
sport wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:44 pm We bought a Whirlpool french door unit, 28 cu ft. It is quiet. We would have bought a Kitchenaid. It is the same manufacturer but has more features. However, our old unit had died and the delivery time for the Kitchenaid was a lot longer. So, we bought the Whirlpool. We have been happy with it. I believe Whirlpool/Kithenaid are also available from Costco.
Thanks. 28 cf good enough. Is it quiet though with fans/compressor?
Topic Author
OldSport

Post by OldSport »

RichL wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:25 am We purchased all new Samsung kitchen appliances in mid-2016. I will never buy another appliance from them, everything failed within 3-4 years. The customer service was really challenging and spare parts were never available (and that was before Covid).

The fridge had the ice maker fail, cooling back panel ice up constantly, and the compressor became really loud within a year (could be heard over the TV In the other room).
Thanks. Ice maker I don't really care that much about, but failures that impact ability to cool I do care. What is this back panel ice up issue? Do you mean the ice up started happening in 3-4 years or that it happened earlier and was so bad the appliance had to be fully replaced after 3-4 years?

If just repairs, how much did that repair cost, and how long did the repair last? Do you still have the Samsung fridge?

FWIW, we have LG washer & dryer and have been very happy with them. No issues 10+ years, but understand washer & dryer are different tech than fridges.
Topic Author
OldSport

Post by OldSport »

ondarvr wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:21 pm I did a complete kitchen remodel and went with the GE Profile line for all items, fridge, double oven, stove top, dishwasher, and Microwave. They were very quiet and we liked them at first, but each one broke at least once in seven years, some two or three times, I just threw out the microwave.

When I shopped to replace these disappointing purchases I researched all brands extensively, the results were about what you've read here. LG and Samsung were popular due to design and features, but if, I mean when, it had problems they were rarely resolved in a timely or satisfactory way in the owner's opinion.
Wait, so your GE Profile refrigerator didn't even last 7 years and you had to replace it, or just that it needed service in that time? How was GE service? If you did replace it, what did you replace it with? Is the replacement as quiet?
Topic Author
OldSport

Post by OldSport »

My feelings exactly!!

:beer I'm willing to relax size slightly to 28 cu ft or whatever rounds up like 27.5+, as that puts other brands in the running, provided the interior design is well executed. BUT, it absolutely has to be quiet. That is a non-compromisable requirement.
Topic Author
OldSport

Post by OldSport »

Well the GE looked nice, but upon reading reviews it is very clear that GE is noisier and that the modern GE shelves are flimsy/weak, so that is out :( , regardless if it's more reliable. The noise is something you have to live with from day 1.
$=WxTxI

Post by $=WxTxI »

OldSport wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:47 pm We need a new refrigerator. We've been putting it off for a while, but it is time.

We have need for a large capacity French door style stainless steel refrigerator. There are very good sales that will end in a few days, so we want to purchase while the sales are still in place.

Given the size we need (29-30 cu ft), that leaves us with Samsung or LG. Appreciate thoughts on this.

The only places nearby we can purchase from are Best Buy, Home Depot, and Lowes. All cost the same price. However, the extended warranties are MUCH MORE expensive at Best Buy, like almost double Lowes or Home Depot.

If it is worth getting the 5-yr extended warranty on a new French door LG or Samsung refrigerator, then would not buy at Best Buy.

DS wants the standard 3-door French door. Not one with the extra flex door, thinking it's "more to break"
Don't get either.

Our LG Dual Ice was a _____show.

Replaced under warranty. New one had been serviced twice.

Temperature fluctuations melting freezer items/ice.

Went in trash.

Customer service is the worst I have ever dealt with.

Friends had a Samsung with similar experience.
ondarvr

Post by ondarvr »

OldSport wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:08 am Well the GE looked nice, but upon reading reviews it is very clear that GE is noisier and that the modern GE shelves are flimsy/weak, so that is out :( , regardless if it's more reliable. The noise is something you have to live with from day 1.
Our GE Profile was very quiet, all appliances I bought at that time were chosen with that as one of the top requirements. They just all broke sooner than expected. It was a circuit board in the fridge that failed, it was just out of warranty, but I was able purchase one at a huge discount because it was a known issue. I replaced it myself.

I hated it due it being a side by side more than anything else, huge refrigerator with no room inside.
stickman731

Post by stickman731 »

AVOID AVOID AVOID Samsung at all cost. Re-did my kitchen last January, I am currently on my third Samsung refrigerator. The first one stopped working three days (spoiling all the food) - I battled both Samsung and Lowes. The second one arrived two weeks later (yes, two weeks later) due to tight inventory issues. It died within 24 hours - I believed it was related to the monitoring App shutting the system down but Samsung did not want to listen. The third one shutdown once like three months later but I caught it. Unplugged and it reset itself and never use/delete the App.

After battling Lowes and Samsung, Lowes gave me a 5-year protection plan on all my Samsung appliances, but no reimbursement for the spoil food. We wanted the same finish on all the appliances so we choose Samsung - big mistake. The pieces are also not very finger print resistant unlike my old GE. I laugh because I have a 25 year old GE in my utility room and never had an issue.

The Samsung microwave died at 6 month old - a door switch that the tech told me was a common problem. No issues on dishwasher or range.

I wrote reviews on both Lowe''s and Samsung websites, but they were removed saying I violated terms of service.

PS: The model you posted is the one we have.

PPS: I was just reminded by my better half - they shelving is not adjustable and a gallon a milk does not fit properly. Hope you go see the models in the store.
Last edited by stickman731 on Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:54 am, edited 6 times in total.
MGBMartin

Post by MGBMartin »

We have an LG French Door, 2 drawer stainless that is about 25cu ft.
I can’t remember exactly when we bought it but it is at least 8 years ago, we paid $1200 so that says more about how long ago it was.

Anyhow, we have not had any issues at all with it, can’t say the same with the LG Dishwasher though.
Bad spellers of the world untie | Autocorrect is my worst enema
ThePenGuy

Post by ThePenGuy »

quantAndHold wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:50 pm Do not buy the Samsung. Especially the French Door models. They are poorly designed, poorly made, unreliable crap. We had the entire fridge replaced under warranty, because a drain was plugged with styrofoam, and the bottom of the fridge filled up with water. Then the second it was out of warranty, the back of the fridge filled up with ice because of a poorly designed defrost system. It took me 8 hours with a hair dryer and pans of hot water to get it thawed enough that I could install a random part I bought on eBay to make it defrost better. Figuring out how to fix that led me down the rabbit hole of unsatisfied Samsung customers. There are a *lot* of them. And don’t get me started on the ice maker. I regret that purchase nearly every day that I use it.

My impression is that French door fridges, no matter what brand you choose, are just not quite ready for prime time. I mean, they look cool, but I’ve never heard of one working properly. And it has noticeably less interior room than the old school top freezer Maytag we had sitting in the same space before. When this one dies a painful death, which will probably be sooner rather than later, we’re going back to a regular top freezer model.
I second your frustration with the defrost issue. Very common criticism. My Samsung is my last Samsung.
sport

Post by sport »

OldSport wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:42 am
finite_difference wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:24 pm
Thanks. 28 cf good enough. Is it quiet though with fans/compressor?
Our 25 cf Whirlpool is quiet. It replaced a GE that was both noisy and unreliable. After my experience with that GE unit, I will never buy another GE appliance. It was fancy with nice features and it was junk. At one point the Google street view of our house showed the GE service truck in our driveway.

This is the one we have now https://www.costco.com/whirlpool-25-cu. ... 90134.html
Topic Author
OldSport

Post by OldSport »

ThePenGuy wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:00 am
quantAndHold wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:50 pm Do not buy the Samsung. Especially the French Door models. They are poorly designed, poorly made, unreliable crap. We had the entire fridge replaced under warranty, because a drain was plugged with styrofoam, and the bottom of the fridge filled up with water. Then the second it was out of warranty, the back of the fridge filled up with ice because of a poorly designed defrost system. It took me 8 hours with a hair dryer and pans of hot water to get it thawed enough that I could install a random part I bought on eBay to make it defrost better. Figuring out how to fix that led me down the rabbit hole of unsatisfied Samsung customers. There are a *lot* of them. And don’t get me started on the ice maker. I regret that purchase nearly every day that I use it.

My impression is that French door fridges, no matter what brand you choose, are just not quite ready for prime time. I mean, they look cool, but I’ve never heard of one working properly. And it has noticeably less interior room than the old school top freezer Maytag we had sitting in the same space before. When this one dies a painful death, which will probably be sooner rather than later, we’re going back to a regular top freezer model.
I second your frustration with the defrost issue. Very common criticism. My Samsung is my last Samsung.
Is this still an issue with the newer ones? How often does this happen? How hard and costly is this to fix for an experienced third party tech?
Topic Author
OldSport

Post by OldSport »

stickman731 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:30 am AVOID AVOID AVOID Samsung at all cost. Re-did my kitchen last January, I am currently on my third Samsung refrigerator. The first one stopped working three days (spoiling all the food) - I battled both Samsung and Lowes. The second one arrived two weeks later (yes, two weeks later) due to tight inventory issues. It died within 24 hours - I believed it was related to the monitoring App shutting the system down but Samsung did not want to listen. The third one shutdown once like three months later but I caught it. Unplugged and it reset itself and never use/delete the App.

After battling Lowes and Samsung, Lowes gave me a 5-year protection plan on all my Samsung appliances, but no reimbursement for the spoil food. We wanted the same finish on all the appliances so we choose Samsung - big mistake. The pieces are also not very finger print resistant unlike my old GE. I laugh because I have a 25 year old GE in my utility room and never had an issue.

The Samsung microwave died at 6 month old - a door switch that the tech told me was a common problem. No issues on dishwasher or range.

I wrote reviews on both Lowe''s and Samsung websites, but they were removed saying I violated terms of service.

PS: The model you posted is the one we have.

PPS: I was just reminded by my better half - they shelving is not adjustable and a gallon a milk does not fit properly. Hope you go see the models in the store.
Which Samsung model do you have? Are you able to completely bypass the monitoring app, so it's no longer a potential point of failure?

I've had very positive experience with Samsung phones, TVs, soundbars, and microwaves, but they are very different tech than fridges.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

OldSport wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:51 am
My feelings exactly!!

:beer I'm willing to relax size slightly to 28 cu ft or whatever rounds up like 27.5+, as that puts other brands in the running, provided the interior design is well executed. BUT, it absolutely has to be quiet. That is a non-compromisable requirement.
Our 27.8cf Frigidaire is quiet. We have an open floor plan as well, I am currently sitting maybe 15 feet from it in our great room with a direct line of sight and I think it might be running right now? I’d have to stand next to it to be sure.
Offshore

Post by Offshore »

We recently bought an LG very similar to the one you are considering. One important thing to consider...

The temperature indicators display the SET temperature and not the actual temperatures (both fridge and freezer). When your new device begins to fail, it will not cool well. You won't know it until your butter and ice cream are soft! We had to purchase stand alone thermometers to place in both the fridge and freezer to know the actual temperatures of both locations. I was both surprised and disappointed with the discovery. Otherwise, the LG product is meeting our expectations.
2pedals

Post by 2pedals »

sport wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:20 am After my experience with that GE unit, I will never buy another GE appliance. It was fancy with nice features and it was junk. At one point the Google street view of our house showed the GE service truck in our driveway.
Any blurred-out images of unhappy customers? :shock: I also plan on never buying a GE appliance again. We had an range and dishwasher purchased in the mid 2000's. They didn't last longer than 3 years before problems started. We were very happy to replace them with Whirlpool.
RichL

Post by RichL »

OldSport wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:46 am
RichL wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:25 am We purchased all new Samsung kitchen appliances in mid-2016. I will never buy another appliance from them, everything failed within 3-4 years. The customer service was really challenging and spare parts were never available (and that was before Covid).

Thanks. Ice maker I don't really care that much about, but failures that impact ability to cool I do care. What is this back panel ice up issue? Do you mean the ice up started happening in 3-4 years or that it happened earlier and was so bad the appliance had to be fully replaced after 3-4 years?

If just repairs, how much did that repair cost, and how long did the repair last? Do you still have the Samsung fridge?

FWIW, we have LG washer & dryer and have been very happy with them. No issues 10+ years, but understand washer & dryer are different tech than fridges.
The fridge was a French door style with a bottom freezer. The fridge part had cooling panel on the inside back that would constant ice and need to be thawed. I don’t know if impacted performance but the ice would touch the fan behind the plastic shroud and rattle.

All issues started within the first year. We had a maintenance person check it out and said it was all normal for Samsung. We replaced it in 2020 because the compressor noise was really annoying.
Topic Author
OldSport

Post by OldSport »

Offshore wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:56 am We recently bought an LG very similar to the one you are considering. One important thing to consider...

The temperature indicators display the SET temperature and not the actual temperatures (both fridge and freezer). When your new device begins to fail, it will not cool well. You won't know it until your butter and ice cream are soft! We had to purchase stand alone thermometers to place in both the fridge and freezer to know the actual temperatures of both locations. I was both surprised and disappointed with the discovery. Otherwise, the LG product is meeting our expectations.
I ALWAYS keep an independent thermometer inside the fridge, so I'll know this right away. My current fridge says it is 37 degrees. The items feel cold, but actual temp is 45. I know my probe is valid as I've tested it outside and inside against a range of temperatures.
Don_Qua

Post by Don_Qua »

Don't make the mistake that we did, stay away from LG. Right after the warranty was up the refrigerator section of our LG frosted up behind the back wall of the inside. I had to take the entire thing apart every 6 months to hit the iceberg in there with a hair dryer. Who needs this kind of fridge maintenance? This is a common LG problem, so common that YouTube has how to videos. I replaced the temp defrost sensor back there, no luck.

That 10 year LG compressor warranty? It's worthless because it fails so often that LG has them back ordered. Who can wait several months for a new compressor? That compressor warranty does not include labor, a substantial expense.

We've owned LG phones and they were good. We own an LG washer and dryer, they've been OK too. My LG Gram laptop is doing fine. We're building a house and are looking at refrigerators, absolutely no LG, no Samsung. Our LG fridge? It died a slow death after 4 years, but not before the iceberg inside slowly melted and warped some of the cabinets around it and ruining much of the food it was supposed to be protecting. We replaced it with a Mexican made GE we bought at Costco, after nearly 2 years so far so good. Never an LG fridge again, fool me once....
Chuckles960

Post by Chuckles960 »

OP seems to think there is a difference between 28cft and 30cft. There is not. There is a big difference between actual cft of an irregular space, and usable cft for the things you put in the fridge. So no point in worrying about small differences in nominal cft. One's feeling about which one looks larger on the inside is an equally good criterion.

I could report our bad experience with a Samsung, but anecdotal experience is worth very little. Consumer Reports used to have reliability ratings, but they would hide the underlying data so you couldn't judge statistical significance. I don't have a subscription any more.

Regarding the 25% sale, it probably applies only to models being discontinued. And few appliances are ever sold at full price.
TeamArgo

Post by TeamArgo »

I have owned both brands, and I prefer the Samsung over the LG.

I bought the LG about seven years ago for my first condo, based on the french door layout and available sale price. I noticed that the compressor was a bit noisy, especially since the condo had an open kitchen/dining/living room arrangement. However, over the next few years that noise increased to a buzz and then almost to a roar. It was a "frog in boiling water" situation where I didn't notice something was drastically wrong until the warranty was expired. Calls to service companies usually pointed out that "they do that", and an expensive compressor replacement would take forever to get the part and might soon be just as bad. I sold that condo four years ago and was happy to see the fridge go. (The new owner replaced it a year later, so only after 4 years of use).

My second (and current) condo had a Samsung french door fridge when I moved in (it is about seven years old now, so very comparable to my LG). It is quiet and nice, but it does suffer from the ice maker frosting problem that others have mentioned. Interestingly, we ran out of ice just yesterday, so I had to defrost it. I keep a hair dryer for this, and have to do it about twice a year. I open the left door, pull out the ice maker tray, fill it with a towel, and blow hot air into the cavity for about 10 minutes until all ice has melted. The interior only gets up to the upper 40s during the operation, so I don't even remove the stored items. Annoying, but not a show stopper.

My son has a five year old Samsung, and has had similar experience with his.

So, the compressor is the big deciding item in my pick of Samsung over LG.
“Love with your heart; Use your brain for everything else.” -Captain Disillusion
Topic Author
OldSport

Post by OldSport »

Well I live in a major metro area, so finding service is not an issue. I actually called a top rated local service tech. Said the Samsung refrogerator frosting fan issue is so common, that they've become experts at fixing - has something to do with defrosting the coils where ice blocks the fan - costs $300-400 for permanent fix.

They said LG has more costly compressor repairs and harder to get parts. They said Samsung had good compressors.

Considering the LG is $1000 more than than the Samsung out of the gate and is prone to more costly repairs, I'd say the Samsung "sucks less".
riverant

Post by riverant »

I’ve tried both brands for refrigerators and were horribly disappointed with both. The space they offer is meaningless if all it means is they more food will spoil.

I’m on a 18 month old Frigidaire gallery which allegedly should be better. Time will tell