OK, I am calling the bottom of this market cycle

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Tom_T

Re: OK, I am calling the bottom of this market cycle

Post by Tom_T »

TropikThunder wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:16 pm
ronno2018 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:26 pm Well so far my call has been perfect. Let's see what happens this week people. :sharebeer
Celebrating after four trading days from your prediction? That’s like spiking the ball on your own 10 yard line.
Looks like he'll be giving a lot of that back today.
Californiastate

Post by Californiastate »

Tom_T wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:37 am
ronno2018 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:26 pm Well so far my call has been perfect. Let's see what happens this week people. :sharebeer
Celebrating after four trading days from your prediction? That’s like spiking the ball on your own 10 yard line.
They jokingly picked the bottom. They aren't wrong yet.
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

Californiastate wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:07 am
I don't think we've seen the bottom... but as the old saying goes, that opinion and a token will get you on the subway. (When they had tokens, anyway.)
goodenyou
Location: Skating to Where the Puck is Going to Be..or on the golf course

Post by goodenyou »

When someone calls the bottom, sometimes all that happens is that they show their bottom.
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" | “At 50, everyone has the face he deserves”
strummer6969

Post by strummer6969 »

Californiastate wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:07 am
What are you talking about? He was already wrong from the beginning. It wasn't even the bottom when he posted. June 16th was the low YTD.
saintsfan342000

Post by saintsfan342000 »

kelway wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:57 pm
Californiastate wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:48 pm VTI needs to hold above 195 or the next floor is 188. Below that is the recent market low of 181. It can get ugly if it blows past 181.
Seems like something I'd hear on a random YouTube channel.
Ha exactly. No doubt with a few regressions and support vectors on a performance chart.
Already impartial now...and you have a nice day.
Californiastate

saintsfan342000 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:57 am
kelway wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:57 pm
Californiastate wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:48 pm VTI needs to hold above 195 or the next floor is 188. Below that is the recent market low of 181. It can get ugly if it blows past 181.
Seems like something I'd hear on a random YouTube channel.
Ha exactly. No doubt with a few regressions and support vectors on a performance chart.
Last edited by Californiastate on Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht »

Lol...the headlines today are amusing...Worst Day Since June 2020!
9-5 Suited

Post by 9-5 Suited »

nigel_ht wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:25 pm Lol...the headlines today are amusing...Worst Day Since June 2020!
In a world where -1% days cause the financial news media to catastrophize, a -4% day is sure to bring out maximum stupidity and emotion-driven content.
Missing_Out

Post by Missing_Out »

9-5 Suited wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:29 pm
nigel_ht wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:25 pm Lol...the headlines today are amusing...Worst Day Since June 2020!
In a world where -1% days cause the financial news media to catastrophize, a -4% day is sure to bring out maximum stupidity and emotion-driven content.
What exactly is stupid and emotion-driven about that headline? It was a really awful day in which market participants learned that inflation isn't rolling over. Likely to bring new lows into the discussion.
Hyperchicken

Post by Hyperchicken »

But what if there's a second bottom?
Californiastate

VTI still hasn't breached 195. We'll see where this reset settles out at. I'm pulling for the OP if only for of all the detractors piling on. I never liked clubs with their secret handshakes and their fancy hair products.
9-5 Suited

Post by 9-5 Suited »

Missing_Out wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:38 pm
What exactly is stupid and emotion-driven about that headline? It was a really awful day in which market participants learned that inflation isn't rolling over. Likely to bring new lows into the discussion.
Well first, the comment was a generic response to "the headlines today are amusing".

But that specific headline is silly for two reasons: (1) "Since June 2020" is an arbitrary date only two years ago so who cares that a day was the worst since June 2020? and (2) It reveals the notorious and pervasive nature of financial news to focus on daily price movements because inexperienced investors are overly attuned to those. From June 1, 2020 to today, VTI is up 33.5%. A two year view of the market hardly even counts as long-term, but that paints quite a different picture already which you won't see mentioned in those headlines.
passive101

Post by passive101 »

GreenLawn

Post by GreenLawn »

nisiprius wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:13 am
JMoore wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:43 amIn the past we used to see the markets go down very slowly and coming back up very fast.
No, we didn't. Where did you get that? Is that just "stuff people say" or did you read it somewhere, and, if so where?

I think this is just a Dream of a Past Golden Age.

According to my calculations from Morningstar's tabulation, I find that
  • the average decline took 2.00 years
  • the average recovery took 2.36 years
  • Recoveries were faster than declines 9 out of 18 times, and slower than declines 9 out of 18 times
  • As a ratio between decline and recovery time, the fastest recovery was 1/1911-1/1924, when the recovery took only 42% as long as the decline
  • The slowest was 1/1937-1/1945, when the recovery took 6.38X as long as the decline, about one year down and over six years to recover.
Source for dates

I always look forward to your posts, very informative!

I do have a question regarding the time periods selected.

I tend to automatically discount any market history prior to WWII. With the advent of Keynesian economics, the Federal Reserve, and the dramatic changes in the economy, including the change from goods to services, I don't see the relevance of pre-WWII data.

Why do folks continue to reference pre-WWII data, what am I missing?

Everybody should be familiar with the Great Depression as a matter of general US history as well as economic history. And the Weimar Republic's wild hyperinflation can be a cautionary tale that even developed countries can go off the rails. Given that, I just don't see the point of listing pre-WWII data in the same table as modern data.

Maybe create a second table of pre-WWII data as a historical curiosity?
GreenLawn

Post by GreenLawn »

GreenLawn wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:37 am
JMoore wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:43 amIn the past we used to see the markets go down very slowly and coming back up very fast.
No, we didn't. Where did you get that? Is that just "stuff people say" or did you read it somewhere, and, if so where?

• Recoveries were faster than declines 9 out of 18 times, and slower than declines 9 out of 18 times
  • As a ratio between decline and recovery time, the fastest recovery was 1/1911-1/1924, when the recovery took only 42% as long as the decline
  • The slowest was 1/1937-1/1945, when the recovery took 6.38X as long as the decline, about one year down and over six years to recover.
Source for dates

I tend to automatically discount any market history prior to WWII. With the advent of Keynesian economics, an interventionist Federal Reserve, and the dramatic changes in the economy, including the change from goods to services, I don't see the relevance of pre-WWII data.

Everybody should be familiar with the Great Depression as a matter of general US history as well as economic history. And the Weimar Republic's wild hyperinflation can be a cautionary tale that even developed countries can go off the rails. Given that, I just don't see the point of listing pre-WWII data in the same table as modern data.

nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht »

GreenLawn wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:37 am

Source for dates

I tend to automatically discount any market history prior to WWII. With the advent of Keynesian economics, the Federal Reserve, and the dramatic changes in the economy, including the change from goods to services, I don't see the relevance of pre-WWII data.

Federal reserve was established in 1913. The first chair was Hamlin in 1914.

Now it was more decentralized in 1929 but it existed and the NY Fed tried to help fix things but overall it was passive or increased rates/tightened money supply when it should have gone the other way.

Stagflation happened after the war and knocked Keynesian economics back a step.

However, since WWII is we gained reserve currency status and replaced the British Empire as the dominant world power.

That does change the equation a bit…enough to discount everything pre-1945? Probably not but maybe.
smooth_rough

Post by smooth_rough »

Sideways market with volatility. Don't want to sell, but don't know what to buy.
Topic Author
ronno2018

Post by ronno2018 »

smooth_rough wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:53 am Sideways market with volatility. Don't want to sell, but don't know what to buy.
Just stick with your policy statement. I did sort of rebalance into stocks but my overall holdings will not change much -- still very much moderate growth model and basically 75% stocks and 25% bonds.

I still say baring any odd global events the US markets are bottoming out around now and will return to a couple more years of growth.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

ronno2018 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:15 pm I still say baring any odd global events the US markets are bottoming out around now
Where have we heard that before? Just keep repeating that - eventually you'll be right.

:wink:
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

smooth_rough wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:53 am Sideways market with volatility. Don't want to sell, but don't know what to buy.
Buy whatever that is low in your AA.

Rebalance when it reaches your rebalancing band.

In summary, this is business as usual. Nothing new.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

ronno2018 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:15 pm
Just stick with your policy statement. I did sort of rebalance into stocks but my overall holdings will not change much -- still very much moderate growth model and basically 75% stocks and 25% bonds.

I still say baring any odd global events the US markets are bottoming out around now and will return to a couple more years of growth.
We are long way to go to reach the bottom. At least one or two more years of pain.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

I thought your post based upon title would have some analysis of why you are calling the bottom. Instead you mention you are making a "bet" with no further info as to why you are calling the bottom. My conclusion is that not only are you market timing but doing so based upon some sort of feelings versus any sort of analysis.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

KlangFool wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:30 am We are long way to go to reach the bottom. At least one or two more years of pain.
There you go - another on the record prognostication we can check on!

:beer
nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht »

JoeRetire wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:44 am
KlangFool wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:30 am We are long way to go to reach the bottom. At least one or two more years of pain.

1-2 years is quite optimistic!

Some folks are predicting 30 years of pain…

My guess is closer to 1-2 than 30…
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

nigel_ht wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:46 am
JoeRetire wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:44 am

1-2 years is quite optimistic!

Some folks are predicting 30 years of pain…

My guess is closer to 1-2 than 30…
Guessing is fun!
Topic Author
ronno2018

Post by ronno2018 »

SmileyFace wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:38 am I thought your post based upon title would have some analysis of why you are calling the bottom. Instead you mention you are making a "bet" with no further info as to why you are calling the bottom. My conclusion is that not only are you market timing but doing so based upon some sort of feelings versus any sort of analysis.
Well that is true! But I have enjoyed some great responses that are logical and supported by the data! :sharebeer
9-5 Suited

Post by 9-5 Suited »

KlangFool wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:30 am

We are long way to go to reach the bottom. At least one or two more years of pain.

KlangFool
You state that with such certainty. If you really believe that, then why not go to 100% t-bills or 100% short term TIPS for the next year? The answer must be that you don’t really believe you have any real knowledge about this prediction, so why do you make one with such a resolute tone?
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

9-5 Suited wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:22 pm

KlangFool
You state that with such certainty. If you really believe that, then why not go to 100% t-bills or 100% short term TIPS for the next year? The answer must be that you don’t really believe you have any real knowledge about this prediction, so why do you make one with such a resolute tone?
9-5 Suited,

1) I do not believe in putting 100% into anything.

2) I do not believe in T-bills or TIPS.

3) I am prepared for the market to go bottom and stay down for a very long time. Or, whatever may happen next. Hence, my prediction does not affect anything.

4) How about you? Are you prepared? Or, are you counting on your ability to predict the future?

KlangFool
austin757

Post by austin757 »

Hyperchicken wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:58 pm But what if there's a second bottom?
Last I looked, I have enough for 3 bottoms and about 2.5 chins.
9-5 Suited

Post by 9-5 Suited »

KlangFool wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:27 pm

KlangFool
9-5 Suited,

3) I am prepared for the market to go bottom and stay down for a very long time. Or, whatever may happen next. Hence, my prediction does not affect anything.

4) How about you? Are you prepared? Or, are you counting on your ability to predict the future?

KlangFool
I am doing nothing because I do not believe I can predict the future. Thus, I do not make statements like “we have a long way to go to reach the bottom” or “we have 1-2 more years of pain”.

It is you who made a clear prediction. I know you have no intent to act on that prediction, so my question is why make it in the first place?
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

9-5 Suited wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:32 pm
I am doing nothing because I do not believe I can predict the future. Thus, I do not make statements like “we have a long way to go to reach the bottom” or “we have 1-2 more years of pain”.
9-5 Suited,

Then, if you are prepared for whatever may happened next, why should my prediction bothers you?

"Don't worry, be happy!"

KlangFool
ApeAttack

Post by ApeAttack »

KlangFool
9-5 Suited,

KlangFool

It is you who made a clear prediction. I know you have no intent to act on that prediction, so my question is why make it in the first place?
My guess is KF, like many posters and many people in real life conversations, are not taking the time to be precise in expressing their thoughts. KF should've said, "I think there is a high probability of 1-2 years of pain."
May all your index funds gain +0.5% today.
TropikThunder

Post by TropikThunder »

VTI is down over 11% since you posted this. Good call.
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

TropikThunder wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:49 pm
VTI is down over 11% since you posted this. Good call.
The June bottom has also been breached. At least intra-day so far.

Edit: Wait, no, that's wrong. The intra-day low so far has not yet breached the intra-day low from June. It just came really super close. LOL
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
ebeb

Post by ebeb »

The joys of visionary insight. I am calling another 20% down from here :shock:
80% VOO | 20% BND+TBILL+CASH | Don't believe Nobody because Nobody knows nothin' - Anon
ddbtoth

Post by ddbtoth »

ebeb wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:08 pm The joys of visionary insight. I am calling another 20% down from here :shock:
So, hold off on buying?
wetgear

Post by wetgear »

Multiple bottoms?
Varsh

Post by Varsh »

Stack your dry powder for a bit...then DCA.... :idea:
Apathizer

Post by Apathizer »

wetgear wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:03 pm Multiple bottoms?
A month ago was just the bottom, not the bottom of the bottom. Today was really the bottom of the bottom. Well, it might be anyway. But maybe not. :wink:
ROTH: 50% AVGE, 10% DFAX, 40% BNDW. Taxable: 50% BNDW, 40% AVGE, 10% DFAX.
squirrel1963

Post by squirrel1963 »

Missing_Out wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:38 pm
-1% or even -4% is newsworthy simply because the mass media need to come up with catastrophic news to talk about.
A more decent threshold for news worthy is -10%, and even then it's a non event if buy&hold and invest for long term.
LMP | Liability Matching Portfolio | safe portfolio: TIPS ladder + I-bonds + Treasuries | risky portfolio: US stocks / US REIT / International stocks
Hyperchicken

Post by Hyperchicken »

The dip that keeps on dipping.
Lawrence of Suburbia

Post by Lawrence of Suburbia »

The bottom won't be reached 'til I go all-cash. :happy

Wonder what Harry Dent is saying now?...
Edit: Harry says S&P 500 is 86% down from here! But a bond bull run is about to start. Wow.
Last edited by Lawrence of Suburbia on Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
74% VTHRX/8% DODWX/12% TIAA Traditional/6% SWVXX
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Lawrence of Suburbia wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:29 pm The bottom won't be reached 'til I go all-cash.

Buddy, if you feel like you need to go all-cash, I highly suggest seeing a CFP before doing so.
Lawrence of Suburbia

Marseille07 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:35 pm
Lawrence of Suburbia wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:29 pm The bottom won't be reached 'til I go all-cash.

Buddy, if you feel like you need to go all-cash, I highly suggest seeing a CFP before doing so.
Sorry, forgot the smiley! I'm still learning that Bogleheads is a pretty serious place.

I'm not about to lock in losses.
Last edited by Lawrence of Suburbia on Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

Lawrence of Suburbia wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:29 pm Wonder what Harry Dent is saying now?...
Edit: Harry says S&P 500 is 86% down from here! But a bond bull run is about to start. Wow.
Omg thank you for this. This was a shocking enough call that I went and looked this guy up.

Books written:

2017: DOOM!
2016: Make some DOOM! money
2014: DOOM!
2011: DOOM!
2009: DOOM!
1993: Big BOOM!
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
Lawrence of Suburbia

Beensabu wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:56 pm
Lawrence of Suburbia wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:29 pm Wonder what Harry Dent is saying now?...
Omg thank you for this. This was a shocking enough call that I went and looked this guy up.

Books written:

2017: DOOM!
2016: Make some DOOM! money
2014: DOOM!
2011: DOOM!
2009: DOOM!
1993: Big BOOM!
A subscriber born every minute ...
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

Apathizer wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:03 pm
wetgear wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:03 pm Multiple bottoms?
A month ago was just the bottom, not the bottom of the bottom. Today was really the bottom of the bottom. Well, it might be anyway. But maybe not. :wink:
What was the Churchill quote during the war? "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

Lawrence of Suburbia wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:29 pm The bottom won't be reached 'til I go all-cash. :happy

Harry knows very well which side his bread is buttered on. Calling for a 20% drop isn't it.
PDX_Traveler

Post by PDX_Traveler »

ApeAttack wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:56 pm

KlangFool
[..]

My guess is KF, like many posters and many people in real life conversations, are not taking the time to be precise in expressing their thoughts. KF should've said, "I think there is a high probability of 1-2 years of pain."
That is not any more precise. That is also not actionable in any sense. So, just idle chatter, which, to be fair, is fitting well with the thread topic