How do I insert a link to another topic in my post?

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
wilderson

How do I insert a link to another topic in my post?

Post by wilderson »

I have Safari and Firefox.

I would like to know get the topic ID (I assume 179414 in the example below is some kind of ID) and how to insert it into my post as a link that turns blue. Ideally it would look like this link that I cut and pasted as text:

viewtopic.php?t=179414 .

I know how to paste a full URL, such as https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/ , and automagically have it be clickable.

Thank you!
sycamore

Re: How do I insert a link to another topic in my post?

Post by sycamore »

wilderson wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:40 pm I have Safari and Firefox.

I would like to know get the topic ID (I assume 179414 in the example below is some kind of ID) and how to insert it into my post as a link that turns blue. Ideally it would look like this link that I cut and pasted as text:

viewtopic.php?t=179414 .

I know how to paste a full URL, such as https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/ , and automagically have it be clickable.

Thank you!
There's the "url" tag. Here's the general form:

Code: Select all

[url=full-URL-goes-here]The Text You Want To Appear Goes Here[/url
Using topic 179414 as an example, here's what you'd enter when composing a post:

Code: Select all

[url=https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=179414]viewtopic.php?t=179414[/url]
After you make the post, it would appear as:
viewtopic.php?t=179414
Duckie

Post by Duckie »

wilderson wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:40 pm I have Safari and Firefox.

I would like to know get the topic ID (I assume 179414 in the example below is some kind of ID) and how to insert it into my post as a link that turns blue.
You need to use the entire link. In Safari click on the "Address" box at the top of the page you want to use. Then copy it in the body of your post. For example:
viewtopic.php?t=384745
is the link for the beginning of a thread. If you hit the "quote" button at the top of this post you can see the invisible coding. It shows just "viewtopic..." in blue in the finished version but in the coding it also includes the bogleheads.org information.

Or if you want just one post of a thread you click on the title of that specific post. Here's an example:
viewtopic.php?p=6842496#p6842496

Or you could give the link a name:
Yellowjackets
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Click on the "insert a link" button ..............^^^

Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

If you are simply trying to create a link to a post within a thread, rather than the top of the thread, just click on the heading of the desired post . It now becomes the URL in the address bar. Copy it and paste it as desired. This is a link to the second post in this thread.

viewtopic.php?p=6843315#p6843315

Cheers
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

Linking articles into forum posts has some suggestions, including the "Link Text and Location Copier" for Firefox.

You can click on the Quote button for this post to see the actual character strings that cause those links to display as they do.
Topic Author
wilderson

Post by wilderson »

Wow! I'm amazed at the variety of the suggestions.

Thanks