Problems with Ally Bank?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
MrWasabi65

Problems with Ally Bank?

Post by MrWasabi65 »

I've had an Ally account for about 6 months and this week was my first time needing to communicate with them.

I was on hold on the phone for nearly an hour, so I hung up. I tried chat, the bot told me there was an hour wait, so I clicked out.

I finally sent a secure message - 48 hours ago, no response.

Are they going out of business? I realize there are staffing shortages, but if they are that short handed, why not put out a mass announcement to clear up confusion about their status?

I am hoping this is not typical? Anyone else have this experience with them?
djshackesq

Re: Problems with Ally Bank?

Post by djshackesq »

Meanwhile Capital One 360 consistently answers the phone almost immediately. That's enough for me to sacrifice 0.05% difference on savings interest and ATM rebates.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

It has been years since I needed support (data point of one), but no issues on my end.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

I assume the original post is sarcasm? I have had accounts with multiple banks and brokerages. I have had both hour long waits and immediate responses with most of them. Luckily, I rarely need customer service. But when I do, I have a plan for what I will be doing while I wait. If I do not end up waiting long, it is a interesting surprise. I have not observed a predictable pattern to the wait times with Ally or anyone else.

Is your Ally issue something that the BH forum might help direct you to a way to resolve it without speaking to a CS rep?
anonenigma

Post by anonenigma »

I suspect that Ally and other online banks are getting a huge number of calls from people wanting to break CDs in the current environment. I called them to do this a few weeks ago - waited a few minutes and then was on with the rep for about 15 minutes.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

Given another post related to Ally debit card fraud, I would speculate they are working through a large queue related to that.
slow n steady

Post by slow n steady »

It shows the average wait time when you are logged in. It's usually about 1-5 minutes. I saw a time yesterday of about 40 minutes. It caught my eye because it was unusually high. Give them a month and see if it goes back down. If not move your money. If you can't wait a while, move your money now.

Good luck!
Candor

Post by Candor »

I called them yesterday around 1pm to break a CD and it took 35 minutes to get through. Try first thing in the morning.
The fool, with all his other faults, has this also - he is always getting ready to live. - Seneca Epistles < c. 65AD
Candor

Post by Candor »

I just took a look and they state their wait time now is 5 minutes for banking.
The fool, with all his other faults, has this also - he is always getting ready to live. - Seneca Epistles < c. 65AD
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Candor wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:51 pm I called them yesterday around 1pm to break a CD and it took 35 minutes to get through. Try first thing in the morning.
I used to break their NPCDs online. Can't you still do that?
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

anon_investor wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:53 pm
Candor wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:51 pm I called them yesterday around 1pm to break a CD and it took 35 minutes to get through. Try first thing in the morning.
Not last year you couldn't, it might have been a systemwide change
Candor

Post by Candor »

This particular one was in an IRA so I had to call. My regular CD's can be broken online but I don't have a NPCD. I seem to remember someone here stating a while ago that they had to call to close out their NPCD at Ally but if IIRC that was an unusual case and was supposed to change back to enable online processing.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Candor wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:07 pm
This particular one was in an IRA so I had to call. My regular CD's can be broken online but I don't have a NPCD. I seem to remember someone here stating a while ago that they had to call to close out their NPCD at Ally but if IIRC that was an unusual case and was supposed to change back to enable online processing.
Online redemption was restored this year. I broke all of my NPCDs this year when the Fed started hiking rates.
Topic Author
MrWasabi65

Post by MrWasabi65 »

The stated wait times are a worthless piece of information.

Don't ask me how I know.

I am done.
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

Their service went down. We switched to different bank. No point of waiting 45 minutes each time you call.
rtt22

Post by rtt22 »

Ally Bank is currently having a massive unauthorized debit card charges problem, so people are calling. See this thread: viewtopic.php?t=377722
Loandapper

Post by Loandapper »

I’m going to give you some more bad news: Once they finally pick up the phone, they won’t actually be helpful. An agent literally fought with me then hung up because I wanted to raise my ATM limit from $1k to $2k for a day, which is fully authorized under the terms of their deposit agreement.

I opened a Fidelity Cash Management Account to handle all my checking needs, love speaking to a knowledgeable rep within a minute of calling their 800 number, and haven’t looked back since.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Loandapper wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:56 pm I’m going to give you some more bad news: Once they finally pick up the phone, they won’t actually be helpful. An agent literally fought with me then hung up because I wanted to raise my ATM limit from $1k to $2k for a day, which is fully authorized under the terms of their deposit agreement.

I opened a Fidelity Cash Management Account to handle all my checking needs, love speaking to a knowledgeable rep within a minute of calling their 800 number, and haven’t looked back since.
I recently shifted to a Fidelity CMA. I like how I can keep my money in a money market fund earning 2%+.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

Candor wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:53 pm I just took a look and they state their wait time now is 5 minutes for banking.
Curious to see what is up since I have never had to wait more than a few minutes. Logged into my account at 10:45 PM Pacific time and the wait was 95 minutes!!! A few minutes later it was up to 114 minutes.

I used this opportunity to lock the debit card, which I use only when I travel to Europe to get cash.
Pacific

Post by Pacific »

MrWasabi65 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:58 pm I've had an Ally account for about 6 months and this week was my first time needing to communicate with them.

I was on hold on the phone for nearly an hour, so I hung up. I tried chat, the bot told me there was an hour wait, so I clicked out.

I finally sent a secure message - 48 hours ago, no response.

Are they going out of business? I realize there are staffing shortages, but if they are that short handed, why not put out a mass announcement to clear up confusion about their status?

I am hoping this is not typical? Anyone else have this experience with them?
Wait and see whether if when you finally get through you find yourself at a call center in the Philippines like Vanguard has been doing for the last several weeks. :x
J295

Post by J295 »

My experience a little over a year ago with a wire transfer had no material wait times. However, the performance was a clear failing grade.

I’m experienced with wire transfers and had reasonable expectations. Subsequently moved all funds out of Ally.
deikel

Post by deikel »

I had to call Wells Fargo lately for a fraud alert - I tried 5 times, got jostled around the automated system and finally waited for 30 min on the phone - I was not able to reach a human....I just gave up and was hoping I can dispute the statement when it arrives...I am not even sure if the hole thing was not fraud in and of itself given all the questions they were asking of me (and should know).

I think they all have staffing problems right now. When I last needed Ally, I had a human on the phone in less then 5 minutes and got a resolution, admittingly that was about 6 months ago

YYMV
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immediately and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

anon_investor wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:36 pm
Loandapper wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:56 pm I’m going to give you some more bad news: Once they finally pick up the phone, they won’t actually be helpful. An agent literally fought with me then hung up because I wanted to raise my ATM limit from $1k to $2k for a day, which is fully authorized under the terms of their deposit agreement.

I recently shifted to a Fidelity CMA. I like how I can keep my money in a money market fund earning 2%+.
That’s what I actually did as well. Much better service and I can also buy t-bills.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Blue456 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:27 pm
anon_investor wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:36 pm

That’s what I actually did as well. Much better service and I can also buy t-bills.
Yeah I have some extra money on T-Bill autoroll. But for money meant to bills for the next 1-2 months I just keep it in SPRXX, up to 2.08% now an Fidelity auto liquidates to pay ACH debits. I even moved all but $250 of my direct deposit to Fidelity.

I am keeping my Ally accounts alive, at some point interest rates will drop again and Ally will pay better than money market funds, and I will switch back.
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

djshackesq wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:17 pm Meanwhile Capital One 360 consistently answers the phone almost immediately. That's enough for me to sacrifice 0.05% difference on savings interest and ATM rebates.
Hmm. I left CapOne360 for exactly that reason and have been happier with Ally. Just shows that all outfits go through their "less than satisfactory" stages.
Lastrun

Post by Lastrun »

obgraham wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:51 pm
djshackesq wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:17 pm Meanwhile Capital One 360 consistently answers the phone almost immediately. That's enough for me to sacrifice 0.05% difference on savings interest and ATM rebates.
Hmm. I left CapOne360 for exactly that reason and have been happier with Ally. Just shows that all outfits go through their "less than satisfactory" stages.
+1. I have been happy at Ally, and left Capital One, but have certainly noticed the long wait time recently. Used to show at the top at log-in a wait of no more than 5 minutes, and I have seen some scary numbers lately, even at odd times. So something is wrong--not sure when the data breach occurred, but it has been going on for a month or so.
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

anon_investor wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:43 pm
I am keeping my Ally accounts alive, at some point interest rates will drop again and Ally will pay better than money market funds, and I will switch back.
Me too. Same with my Marcus accounts. Our Ally joint account and my wife's and my individual accounts all have $1 in them. At some point they may run a transfer bonus too. Maybe not in this environment where banks raise interest rates on high yield savings accounts several times each month. But, eventually they will.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
sphinx2020

Post by sphinx2020 »

My only issues with Ally have pertained to making payments via Zelle. I had some repairs and landscaping done on my house by various laborers and was shocked at how long the Zelle payments took to process (typically 3-4 business days). The same contractors told me that payments via Chase would have gone through in seconds. This caused a bit of grief with one guy who thought I was trying to stiff him when the payment was held up over a long weekend.
2Scoops

Post by 2Scoops »

sphinx2020 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:27 am My only issues with Ally have pertained to making payments via Zelle. I had some repairs and landscaping done on my house by various laborers and was shocked at how long the Zelle payments took to process (typically 3-4 business days). The same contractors told me that payments via Chase would have gone through in seconds. This caused a bit of grief with one guy who thought I was trying to stiff him when the payment was held up over a long weekend.
I don't use Zelle often but I do pay one business pretty regularly using it and my payments always go through in minutes.Just one data point for you but wanted to note it in case there's something going on with your account specifically.
Lastrun

Post by Lastrun »

2Scoops wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:10 am .....in case there's something going on with your account specifically.
I have a couple of thoughts on this.

Could Sphinx2020 have hit the daily limit? I regularly Zelle from Ally and my limits are:

Daily Limit Immediate $2,000 1-3 business days. $5,000
30-Day Limit immediate $10,000 1-3 business days. $10,000

So I am not sure of Sphinx's amounts but this is a possible explanation. As another data point, I have never had a Zelle delay with Ally that I did not expect under the policy.

Or as 2Scoops notes, there is something with Sphinx's account. I honestly don't know if Ally has different Zelle limitations for different folks---I know they do for inbound ACH availability. And I cannot find Ally limits online, but I can under the Zelle function on the Ally website after login.

Note for Chase from their website:
From personal Chase checking accounts, you can send up to $2,000 in a single transaction, up to $2,000 a day and $16,000 in a calendar month. From Chase Private Client or Private Banking client accounts, you can send up to $5,000 in a single transaction, up to $5,000 a day and $40,000 in a calendar month.

Perhaps your neighbors are heavy hitters. :D

Also, tell the contractor if they want funds immediately take a credit card and then you can get points. :mrgreen:
28fe6

Post by 28fe6 »

I tried to contact them over the last week and have never gotten through. They also never contacted me back although they said they would. Seriously considering sending them a snail mail letter, and/or dumping them over this, I feel like I have no method of contacting them at all. Glad it's not something important like trying to buy a house or something.
jakehefty17

Post by jakehefty17 »

I haven't needed help lately but my past experience has been fine. I prefer the chat option when available.

Wish you the best. I agree 48 hours is a long time to wait on a message, and an hour hold is quite long.
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." -Charles Bukowski
z3r0c00l

Post by z3r0c00l »

I would try a weekday morning first thing.
70% Global Stocks / 30% Bonds
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

jakehefty17 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:41 am I haven't needed help lately but my past experience has been fine. I prefer the chat option when available.

Wish you the best. I agree 48 hours is a long time to wait on a message, and an hour hold is quite long.
I am testing the chat now, here is the message that I get as I wait for a chat agent:
Our team is swamped and trying their best to get back to everyone as quickly as possible. You’ll be waiting much longer than expected (more than 4 hours), so you may want to come back later or use online services if you can. Thanks for being patient with us.
Something seems definitely off there!
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
David3000

Post by David3000 »

Just one person's experience:
When I was settling my dad's affairs around 2013, Ally bank was the single most difficult institution to deal with. It took the longest to settle of the many different accounts he had, and it was just a freaking savings account and maybe some cds.

I will never use them.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

David3000 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:14 am Just one person's experience:
When I was settling my dad's affairs around 2013, Ally bank was the single most difficult institution to deal with. It took the longest to settle of the many different accounts he had, and it was just a freaking savings account and maybe some cds.

I will never use them.
Was there a named beneficiary?
AAA

Post by AAA »

I've had to call Ally more than once in the past couple of weeks. They consistently listed a very long wait time along with their customer service phone number. Same for online chats. One time, however, while the notice said something like 40 minutes the rep actually picked up in about 2, so I'm not sure how reliable the time estimates are.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

Lastrun wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:06 am
2Scoops wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:10 am .....in case there's something going on with your account specifically.
I have a couple of thoughts on this.

Could Sphinx2020 have hit the daily limit? I regularly Zelle from Ally and my limits are:

Daily Limit Immediate $2,000 1-3 business days. $5,000
30-Day Limit immediate $10,000 1-3 business days. $10,000

So I am not sure of Sphinx's amounts but this is a possible explanation. As another data point, I have never had a Zelle delay with Ally that I did not expect under the policy.

Or as 2Scoops notes, there is something with Sphinx's account. I honestly don't know if Ally has different Zelle limitations for different folks---I know they do for inbound ACH availability. And I cannot find Ally limits online, but I can under the Zelle function on the Ally website after login.

Note for Chase from their website:
From personal Chase checking accounts, you can send up to $2,000 in a single transaction, up to $2,000 a day and $16,000 in a calendar month. From Chase Private Client or Private Banking client accounts, you can send up to $5,000 in a single transaction, up to $5,000 a day and $40,000 in a calendar month.

Perhaps your neighbors are heavy hitters. :D

Also, tell the contractor if they want funds immediately take a credit card and then you can get points. :mrgreen:
As far as Zelle goes, Zelle infrequently but not rarely imposes their own delay on a payment transaction, most often for payments to newly established business entities. The user experience is not great, because on the sending screen, the bank will show "typically in minutes" but the operative word there is typically -- Zelle will hold the transfer for 48 hours in these cases. It's clearly designed to stop fraud, but it would be good if it were able to prescreen the transaction so everyone's expectations could be set appropriately. In my case I had a holding entity recently set up and a client wanted to Zelle a low four-figure amount to my holding entity; the client screenshotted the process for me to prove payment submission but I did not receive the funds for three days.
Lastrun

Post by Lastrun »

8foot7 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:58 am ...... Zelle infrequently but not rarely imposes their own delay on a payment transaction, most often for payments to newly established business entities. .....
This makes more sense than my explanation. Honestly, I never Zelle to business people that are not regulars (cleaning, lawn, trash) so with all the issues they seem to be having, a three day delay for a new recipient, business or not, seems reasonable to me.
bowerynation86

Post by bowerynation86 »

I’ve been with them since they bought Wachovia.
Pre covid they were excellent.
Seems like they have a lot of new phone people and many don’t seem to care….
which seems to be the norm these days.
Now customer service is not great but still good and overall far better
than the service at most major companies.
I haven’t had excessively long wait times.