Bonita springs+ ?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
BashDash

Bonita springs+ ?

Post by BashDash »

Hi all!

Didn't do a great job planning this summer vacation so am trying to plan next summer now. Three kids who will be 8,6,1. Have stayed at bonita springs Hyatt regency in the past for one night and had a great experience with the water park at the hotel. Was hoping to stay 3-4 nights this time but maybe add on an extra segment. Any suggestions for a possible three day add on. Sanibel? Hotel or resort suggestions are welcome!
Conch55

Re: Bonita springs+ ?

Post by Conch55 »

Replying in hopes that someone has more to offer; we have traveled to the Bonita Springs area but I'd say it caters more to an older demographic. Having said that, we enjoyed the Naples botanical gardens, the beach obviously, the Edison and Ford Winter Estates in Fort Meyers and Sanibel Island. Don't have any hotel recommendations for the Sanibel area though. Most of those things might not appeal to kids.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

For the kids, why not just stay on the beach? Pick your favorite beach. Simple.
People mentioned Sanibel. It's great for beaches and wildlife, two things most kids would enjoy. But it really is a seriously elderly population....median age 67.5. It might be hard for your kids to find others to play with. It's also quite expensive. The proximity to Fort Myers is a plus, but traffic can be horrible.
Hebell

Post by Hebell »

Go to the Corkscrew swamp, and walk through the Audubon path. It will be the highlight of your trip

https://corkscrew.audubon.org/

I also recommend canoeing the imperial river. Boat launch at Riverside park. We have our own boat, but you can rent in the area. The river east of Riverside is beautiful.

Sanibel is heaven on earth for cycling. Trails everywhere. The trails parallel the road, you do not need to ride on the road.

Your kids will like the Ding Darling nature preserve at Sanibel.
Topic Author
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

Thank you this is super helpful. The Audubon looks cool.
Seems like just keeping it simple at bonita springs is smart. Just have to figure out if 3-4 days is too little. I know this goes against simplicity but we are contemplating taking the key west ferry from fort Myers.
Django Ii

Post by Django Ii »

Have you spent time on the Gulf Coast of Florida in the summer? It's rainy season, hot and humid. Sometimes red tide and fish kills can keep you from the beach.
I've only taken the ferry from Ft. Meyers to Key West once and that was in the winter at the height of tourist season, and sorry to be such a bummer, but it was awful. Way too many people, way too many drunks. There are a couple of attractions for kids, but basically Key West is a party town.
Topic Author
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

Thank you for the info....been to key west....we would take the ferry there but then go to the middle keys to see family.....how was the ferry?
Django Ii

Post by Django Ii »

I took the ferry in Feb., got there 90 minutes before departure, and there were no seats left with an outside view. It was packed with people. You can only go outside to a small viewing area in the back of the ship that was super noisy and stank of diesel exhaust from the engines.
Topic Author
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

Ugh ..I was hoping it might be a better experience.... thanks for the info!
mw1739

Post by mw1739 »

In that general area we’ve stayed at and would recommend for kids (no particular order):
JW Marriott Marco Island
South Seas Captiva
Sundial Sanibel
Pink Shell Fort Myers
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Hebell wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:20 pm
Sanibel is heaven on earth for cycling. Trails everywhere. The trails parallel the road, you do not need to ride on the road.

I agree with this. Horrible for driving....great for cycling. That said I believe I recall reading that OP has a 1 y o which is why I did not mention that.
Wricha

Post by Wricha »

Traffic and no kids on Sanibel. Most of the hotels are on the East end of the island the beaches will be filled with kids. Traffic is bad getting on or off the island at certain times. Once you are on the island and are staying on the island, the traffic should not be an issue.
arf30

Post by arf30 »

Have stayed at the Hyatt Regency Coconut Point Resort many times, great place. The JW Marriott on Marco Island is also right on the beach and very nice.
Topic Author
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

Arf30 thanks for the info. How long did you stay of course I'm not sure if your situation compares.
Topic Author
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

Looking be into a backup plan as the water slides and amenities may not all be fully functioning...

Amy suggestions? Have 200,000 ultimate rewards points to burn and some ihg free nights to burn if that helps..... suggestions don't have to be similar to this idea....but good for ages 8,6 and 1.... coming from NY ...
chrisjul

Post by chrisjul »

VERY crowded this time of year in Bonita Springs. Can't swim due to Red Tide and government wont address it
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Head up to Clearwater Beach? There's a Hyatt directly across from the main beach/Pier 60 area.
kgw

Post by kgw »

We did Hyatt Bonita Springs a few years ago. It was just ok. Isn’t Sanibel still recovering from the Hurricane? Checkout Sanibel Sea School for the kids.

But, I would recommend:

1) JW Marriott Turnberry(Miami). The waterpark is fabulous.
2) Orlando … waterpark hop. Disney Blizzard Beach, Disney Typhoon Lagoon, Universal Volcano Bay. This trip was awesome!
Topic Author
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

Kgw, thanks! That is exactly what I needed. What did you like about the Marriott better than the Hyatt? We liked the Hyatt but have nothing to compare it to. We liked the pool and slides and view of ocean from the room. We stayed two nights. Didn't take full advantage of slides kids were too young. I'm wondering if early August would be busy there.

Ideally a ihg property with slides would be great as I have diamond elite status that would get us free breakfast and hopefully a suite upgrade. I do like how Hyatt let's you purchase the suite with points.

Thanks for the reply! I need to do more research. Maybe we don't need to be near the ocean at all as we are doing a Maine beach vacation late June.
Circe

Post by Circe »

Venice Beach or Casperson Beach are both nice beaches but also have fossil shark teeth that can be picked up while walking along the water. Also Peace River has fossils and is a nice canoe trip: http://canoeoutpost.com/
Kids seem to love those places.

We just stayed at an AirBnB in South Venice so can't recommend any hotels. Cute town, had a ball!
Topic Author
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

Thanks Circe! Looks right up our alley in a few years especially the canoe part. Right now tough with the 8,6,1 age group.... thanks!
Flashes1

Post by Flashes1 »

If ever in the Tampa area: one of the more unique things I've seen is the Manatees in Crystal River. Lots of people "swim with the manatees" but with a young family, a guided boat tour is recommended. The water is so clear and the manatees are all over the place. Many parts of the crystal river snakes thru neighborhoods - my wife rented a VRBO one year and they walked to the river and jumped in with paddle boards.
Topic Author
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

Thanks flashes!
Topic Author
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

Kgw:
We have had a change in plans as we are also staying in the middle keys for part of the trip and don't want to make the four hour trip from bonita springs.

The Turnberry looks to be a good option considering proximity to the keys. I am seeing some concerning reviews on tripadvisor. I don't like how non hotel guests can use the water park. Did you find it packed? We can go on mon thru wed avoiding the weekend. Would love some insight from you. We are thinking early August.

I think I might be complicating this too. Kids would be perfectly happy at regular pool in maybe key west then we can head to the middle keys. ( No pool where we are staying with family so it would be nice to have).

Thanks for any insight!
Wricha

Post by Wricha »

Would not go anywhere near Sanibel or Ft Myers beach for a year or two. Bonita is iffy depends where exactly.
chrisjul

Post by chrisjul »

Wricha wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:59 pm Would not go anywhere near Sanibel or Ft Myers beach for a year or two. Bonita is iffy depends where exactly.

Agree.