(For Women Only) Oh Dear, My New Favorite Wacoal Bra Costs How Much?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
lillycat

(For Women Only) Oh Dear, My New Favorite Wacoal Bra Costs How Much?

Post by lillycat »

Ok, forgive me for being a bit self revealing here, but, I have a sad story. After so many years of loving my Champion Underwire Sport Bra, it was discontinued. For awhile, I was able to track down a few in my size here and there and soldiered on. It cost maybe $25?

But no more. I do have an active life, and go to the gym, train my dogs, etc. And I need support! And oh my. After several shopping trips here and there, and so many misses. I finally found “The New One.” It’s a Wacoal Simone Underwire Sports bra, in sand, and it costs…wait for it….$72 plus tax! Wow.

And then the miracle happened. For some reason, one day Amazon had only 2 left at a lower price - $50ish. I snagged both and they are indeed divine. And I have been looking on and off here and there ever since to catch another deal but no! This color and style is $72 everywhere I look. Jesus!

And I’m a frugal BH of course. It just seems wrong to pay almost $80 drive out for a bra! And yet, it’s hard to beat. So, does anyone have a trick to getting a better deal in general on Wacoal? I just tried to use a Bare Necesities 20% off coupon, and drats, Wacoal was excluded. I have tried to catch Macy’s sales, but this style was excluded. Or maybe you have feedback about spending that much for a personal item? What do yall do? Thank you BH friends.
CAsage

Re: (For Women Only) Oh Dear, My New Favorite Wacoal Bra Costs How Much?

Post by CAsage »

The Wacoal USA website often has discounts on clearance items, you might get a hit on off-colors or .... They currently have the Simone in two shades of white $50.40. Once you know your size, you can shop for similar styles... but yeah, they don't go on sale.
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.
Topic Author
lillycat

Post by lillycat »

CAsage wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:40 pm The Wacoal USA website often has discounts on clearance items, you might get a hit on off-colors or .... They currently have the Simone in two shades of white $50.40. Once you know your size, you can shop for similar styles... but yeah, they don't go on sale.
Thank you for the idea! Yes, I have come across the white on sale here and there. And I was maybe naive and hoped to get my preferred color, sand for a similar price. But no luck so far. I may have to pony up, or settle.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

CAsage wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:40 pm The Wacoal USA website often has discounts on clearance items, you might get a hit on off-colors or .... They currently have the Simone in two shades of white $50.40. Once you know your size, you can shop for similar styles... but yeah, they don't go on sale.

I was also going to mention that sometimes certain colors are discounted (en route to being discontinued?).

But other stores may have sales of the same item.
Right now, Googling "wacoal simone" seemed to show a few.

And of course, there is inflation... everywhere...

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Walmart has them around $50.
mkc

Post by mkc »

I feel your pain. My favorite Wacoal style was discontinued a years ago and I haven't found another that I like as well, plus their prices have gone up significantly.

Watch TJMaxx if you have one in your area. I have seen Wacoal there at a decent price. Of course it's a treasure hunt - maybe they'll have the style/size you want, often not. But they do get them.

Soma (Chico's intimates brand) also sells some Wacoal models. They *might* honor a "spend $x get $y off" coupon for those.
Topic Author
lillycat

Post by lillycat »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:14 pm Walmart has them around $50.
Many thanks! I looked at Walmart online for the Simone Wacoal bra, but no luck.
Can you maybe post a link?
Ginny'sMom

Post by Ginny'sMom »

All bras are ridiculous! My favorite used to be $58 and it is now $72 as well. I have done well with herroom.com. I signed up for discounts and buy them when they are discounted.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

lillycat wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:36 pm
Many thanks! I looked at Walmart online for the Simone Wacoal bra, but no luck.
Can you maybe post a link?
I’ll DM you instead.
safari

Post by safari »

White bras are on sale for $43.20 on the Wacoal site.

https://www.wacoal-america.com/bras/spo ... olor=White
Topic Author
lillycat

Post by lillycat »

Okay Annette! I tracked down a Simone Perele bra at Walmart for less. Drats! This is another brand and style, not a
Wacoal. But thank you for trying to help!
Last edited by lillycat on Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
lillycat

Post by lillycat »

safari wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:55 pm White bras are on sale for $43.20 on the Wacoal site.

https://www.wacoal-america.com/bras/spo ... olor=White
Thank you! That is a great discount indeed. And shucks! I’m a bit torn about the white color.

I am so diligent about caring for my bras. Each is placed in an individual delicate mesh wash bag and washed in the delicate cycle, then hung out to dry on a rack. So they last a long time, and I don’t have to buy them very often. The sand color is more versatile and best long-term. But I am drawn to the great price on white. Sigh…
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

This thread reminded me of an episode of Married with Children:

https://youtu.be/75b5HB2Psq4
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

lillycat wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:33 pm Ok, forgive me for being a bit self revealing here, but, I have a sad story. After so many years of loving my Champion Underwire Sport Bra, it was discontinued. For awhile, I was able to track down a few in my size here and there and soldiered on. It cost maybe $25?

But no more. I do have an active life, and go to the gym, train my dogs, etc. And I need support! And oh my. After several shopping trips here and there, and so many misses. I finally found “The New One.” It’s a Wacoal Simone Underwire Sports bra, in sand, and it costs…wait for it….$72 plus tax! Wow.

And then the miracle happened. For some reason, one day Amazon had only 2 left at a lower price - $50ish. I snagged both and they are indeed divine. And I have been looking on and off here and there ever since to catch another deal but no! This color and style is $72 everywhere I look. Jesus!

And I’m a frugal BH of course. It just seems wrong to pay almost $80 drive out for a bra! And yet, it’s hard to beat. So, does anyone have a trick to getting a better deal in general on Wacoal? I just tried to use a Bare Necesities 20% off coupon, and drats, Wacoal was excluded. I have tried to catch Macy’s sales, but this style was excluded. Or maybe you have feedback about spending that much for a personal item? What do yall do? Thank you BH friends.
Speaking as the partner of a bra wearer...

Just about anything is worth paying for a bra that is really comfortable.

Like glassed, teeth, shoes & mattresses you are talking about something you will have your whole life, use every day, and for which discomfort or damage (dental, feet, back etc) is not a good thing.

It's probably worth trying cheaper solutions, but if you have to pay out for the right one, pay out for it. J
celia

Post by celia »

Carson

Post by Carson »

I can't speak to that specific one, but have good luck at Nordstrom Rack finding higher end at managable prices. I used to wear Le Mystere and agree, it was well worth it. I bought one full price at Nordie's with a fitting, and then would brows at the Rack as I needed others.

Fortunately (???) I'm no longer in need of such rigorous underpinnings. But I do like Brooks for sports bras if you are looking to branch out. They are re-branded from Moving Comfort which was an excellent sports brand.
Topic Author
lillycat

Post by lillycat »

celia wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:31 am Would any of these work:
https://people.com/fashion/nordstrom-ra ... -bra-sale/
Wow! Never knew Nordstrom Rack was online. Thank you for the heads up.
I’m a bit focused on the Simone for now but will explore this site as well.
muddgirl

Post by muddgirl »

I have had good luck buying bras new with tags on eBay. I don't know if this works for Wacoal but for UK and European brands I can typically find them for $50 when they are $70+ in stores. It helps if you know the model number which is typically printed on the tag.
Topic Author
lillycat

Post by lillycat »

Valuethinker wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:56 am

Like glassed, teeth, shoes & mattresses you are talking about something you will have your whole life, use every day, and for which discomfort or damage (dental, feet, back etc) is not a good thing.

It's probably worth trying cheaper solutions, but if you have to pay out for the right one, pay out for it. J
Great points Valuethinker! And like the username. Maybe I need to adopt more of a “Valuethinker” mindset about this issue too?
Topic Author
lillycat

Post by lillycat »

muddgirl wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:11 am I have had good luck buying bras new with tags on eBay. I don't know if this works for Wacoal but for UK and European brands I can typically find them for $50 when they are $70+ in stores. It helps if you know the model number which is typically printed on the tag.
YES, I am also an EBAY fan. I’ve scanned a bit, and no luck so far. But if I saw a new one, I’d jump on it. Thanks!
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

My spouse’s comments when i read her this post.

Unfortunately this seems to be the way of things.
Especially clothing of all types for women and men,etc.

Lower quality
Higher Price
Cheap material and fabric substitutes (champion has done this)
Fit and sizing inconsistent and proportions unknown and change unpredictability (Bali, Maidenform, Wacoal, etc)
And, what could be counted on in the past is no more.

For sports, etc. DW suggests looking into “Freya” and “Syrokan” products on Amazon.

The only thing to do is make sure of a good return policy with free return shipping and no fees or restocking fee, etc, (Amazon Prime) and then just try and try and try.
And, when you find something buy in miltiples because next year it might be gone or changed.

j🌴
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
SuzBanyan

Post by SuzBanyan »

I can’t help you with your Wacoal brand, but I wanted to shout out my support (pun intended). I am ready to replace a number of my bras, many of which are UK and Polish brands, so I feel your pain. For UK brands, I have had some luck with Amazon (many orders and many returns). For a sports bra, I like the Panache underwire, but current US brands really don’t fit me.
Supergrover

Post by Supergrover »

$72 for tan v. $43 sale price for white? Grab a few to have them.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

Be sure not to put them in the dryer. I hang all undergarments to dry, and they last me decades.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Good support is necessary. I don’t find that too much to pay for comfort that works.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

You mention scanning ebay and looking on Amazon here and there. Since you are looking for a specific item, have you set up alerts for either? On Ebay, I just go through the Ebay settings to alert me to a new listing on a particular item. For Amazon I use camelcamelcamel.com to set up an alert for a specific item falling below a specific price. I really should do these more often as they are both quite useful to me.
Topic Author
lillycat

Post by lillycat »

Katietsu wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:54 pm You mention scanning ebay and looking on Amazon here and there. Since you are looking for a specific item, have you set up alerts for either? On Ebay, I just go through the Ebay settings to alert me to a new listing on a particular item. For Amazon I use camelcamelcamel.com to set up an alert for a specific item falling below a specific price. I really should do these more often as they are both quite useful to me.
Wow - I needed the reminder to use camelcamelcamel price alerts. And you taught me something new . I never knew EBAY had alerts too! Thank you.
Topic Author
lillycat

Post by lillycat »

Supergrover wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:35 pm $72 for tan v. $43 sale price for white? Grab a few to have them.
You make a good point…bravo!
SheReadsHere719

Post by SheReadsHere719 »

lillycat wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:50 am
muddgirl wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:11 am I have had good luck buying bras new with tags on eBay. I don't know if this works for Wacoal but for UK and European brands I can typically find them for $50 when they are $70+ in stores. It helps if you know the model number which is typically printed on the tag.
YES, I am also an EBAY fan. I’ve scanned a bit, and no luck so far. But if I saw a new one, I’d jump on it. Thanks!
+1 to eBay and to Poshmark!
notoriousMG

Post by notoriousMG »

All the good brands have hiked up prices to the moon. I can get a decade out of my bras with washing them in delicates in cold water in a mesh bag and hang dry.

My favorite brand is Understatement which is Scandinavian and the bras range from 30 to 70 with regular sales. Oysho is also pretty decent. Going on 5 years with some. They ship to US.
mfswatz9

Post by mfswatz9 »

I just discovered Wacoal in the past year. I went to Dillards for a fitting and bought 2. Then I found another one on ebay. I will pay for the comfort of my Wacoal bras. Worth every penny. Save on something else!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

An off-topic sexist post has been removed. As a reminder, see: General Etiquette
At all times we must conduct ourselves in a respectful manner to other posters.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Valuethinker wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:56 amSpeaking as the partner of a bra wearer...

Thank you for the wisdom. Your partner is lucky to have your support.
Topic Author
lillycat

Post by lillycat »

notoriousMG wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:01 pm All the good brands have hiked up prices to the moon. I can get a decade out of my bras with washing them in delicates in cold water in a mesh bag and hang dry.

My favorite brand is Understatement which is Scandinavian and the bras range from 30 to 70 with regular sales. Oysho is also pretty decent. Going on 5 years with some. They ship to US.
Thank you for the brand hints! And I’ve learned that trying bras on is essential. I ordered a few styles and sizes via Amazon, and they just weren’t right and were returned. I am not sure where these brands are available locally.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

lillycat wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:01 am
notoriousMG wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:01 pm All the good brands have hiked up prices to the moon. I can get a decade out of my bras with washing them in delicates in cold water in a mesh bag and hang dry.

Thank you for the brand hints! And I’ve learned that trying bras on is essential. I ordered a few styles and sizes via Amazon, and they just weren’t right and were returned. I am not sure where these brands are available locally.
DW also mail orders from Target and Kohls and others that have excellent full return policies.

B sure Amazon orders are “Prime” and fulfilled by Amazon or 3rd party sellers can have questionable return policies and fees etc.
Lately, Amazon return policies are getting added “fine print”.

j🌴
mr_brightside

Post by mr_brightside »

Valuethinker wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:56 am
lillycat wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:33 pm Ok, forgive me for being a bit self revealing here, but, I have a sad story. After so many years of loving my Champion Underwire Sport Bra, it was discontinued. For awhile, I was able to track down a few in my size here and there and soldiered on. It cost maybe $25?

my thoughts exactly. that's certainly one expense i do not 'contest' with my wife. :D

------------------------------------------------
Cranberry

Post by Cranberry »

If you want to increase your options beyond one specific brand and style, an earlier thread on this subject referenced a reddit post with a link to abrathatfits.org.
Topic Author
lillycat

Post by lillycat »

Cranberry wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:22 am If you want to increase your options beyond one specific brand and style, an earlier thread on this subject referenced a reddit post with a link to abrathatfits.org.
Thank you! Cool link to a detailed way to measure for size.

And I appreciate the supportive comments from the DH’s! Pun intended.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Cranberry wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:22 am If you want to increase your options beyond one specific brand and style, an earlier thread on this subject referenced a reddit post with a link to abrathatfits.org.
Huge thanks for the link:
Here is an active click one of the same:
https://www.abrathatfits.org/calculator.php

passed on the link to DW.
j :D
DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva »

mfswatz9 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:13 pm I just discovered Wacoal in the past year. I went to Dillards for a fitting and bought 2. Then I found another one on ebay. I will pay for the comfort of my Wacoal bras. Worth every penny. Save on something else!
+1. I make the occasional pilgrimage to Nordstrom or Dillards for a fitting and always end up with Wacoal. I also believe in compromising elsewhere.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

I kind of laughed at this topic when I first saw it (but then again I also laughed at the comment about supportiveness that was deleted) but turns out Nordstrom rack has my brand too at great prices! Thank you to those who suggested it. I only rarely shop at Nordstrom, so it wouldn’t have occurred to me, but every few years when I do I’ve been very pleased. Just placed an order.

I’m not telling what brand! Lol. But nowhere near $50! Definitely not $75.
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuzBanyan

Post by SuzBanyan »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:39 pm I kind of laughed at this topic when I first saw it but turns out Nordstrom rack has my brand too at great prices! Thank you to those who suggested it. I only rarely shop at Nordstrom, so it wouldn’t have occurred to me, but every few years when I do I’ve been very pleased. Just placed an order.

I’m not telling what brand! Lol. But nowhere near $50! Definitely not $75.
Your post prompted me to look at Nordstrom Rack, but I had no luck. They don’t carry my size. Once you jump into the rabbit hole that is A Bra That Fits and recover from the shock of the recommended size, you realize that the downside is it is hard to find that size in the US. The benefit, of course, is a bra (or 7) that is so comfortable that you don’t understand why women can’t wait to take their bras off at the end if the day.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

SuzBanyan wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:46 pm Once you jump into the rabbit hole that is A Bra That Fits and recover from the shock of the recommended size, you realize that the downside is it is hard to find that size in the US. The benefit, of course, is a bra (or 7) that is so comfortable that you don’t understand why women can’t wait to take their bras off at the end if the day.

Has anyone here sort of verified that the A Bra That FIts sizing methodology "works" in terms of finding a comfortable fit in real life?

I just played with the little worksheet with some fake-but-gross[no pun intended!]-estimate numbers, and yes, the size that it generated...!? Yikes. That was quite a stunner.
I know that I gave up ages ago with the "fitters" in stores. What they came up with never felt even vaguely comfortable, so just because they insisted "yes, that IS *your* size"... so what!? :annoyed

I guess it's time to order a selection (that can definitely be returned) and have my own "fitting party of one".
And see how the model matches reality. Or not.
It's quite an interesting way to measure...
And I need to do this, as I also just found out that my favorite style has been totally discontinued. I didn't get the memo, or I'd have stocked up.

For this, comfort is far more important than price, given a vaguely reasonable price range.
With careful handling/laundering, these undergarments have tended to last a remarkably long time. (I usually wash by hand, including a nice long soak, and that doesn't put much stress on the fabric/etc.)

RM
Hebell

Post by Hebell »

My contribution to this thread probably belongs in the "what frugal thing have I done today" thread. But in all seriousness, the most comfortable and supportive bra I've ever worn came from Walmart in the "as found on TV" section. No underwires, and very comfortable. (It perhaps helps that I don't put excessive demands on the product).
SuzBanyan

Post by SuzBanyan »

ResearchMed wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:20 pm
SuzBanyan wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:46 pm Once you jump into the rabbit hole that is A Bra That Fits and recover from the shock of the recommended size, you realize that the downside is it is hard to find that size in the US. The benefit, of course, is a bra (or 7) that is so comfortable that you don’t understand why women can’t wait to take their bras off at the end if the day.

Has anyone here sort of verified that the A Bra That FIts sizing methodology "works" in terms of finding a comfortable fit in real life?

I just played with the little worksheet with some fake-but-gross[no pun intended!]-estimate numbers, and yes, the size that it generated...!? Yikes. That was quite a stunner.
I know that I gave up ages ago with the "fitters" in stores. What they came up with never felt even vaguely comfortable, so just because they insisted "yes, that IS *your* size"... so what!? :annoyed

I guess it's time to order a selection (that can definitely be returned) and have my own "fitting party of one".
And see how the model matches reality. Or not.
It's quite an interesting way to measure...
And I need to do this, as I also just found out that my favorite style has been totally discontinued. I didn't get the memo, or I'd have stocked up.

For this, comfort is far more important than price, given a vaguely reasonable price range.
With careful handling/laundering, these undergarments have tended to last a remarkably long time. (I usually wash by hand, including a nice long soak, and that doesn't put much stress on the fabric/etc.)

RM
I’m a data point of 1* that the ABTF method works. More than 5 years ago, I found the best fit in my life with the ABTF sizing. Those bras now need to be replaced and my sizing has changed over the years. I admit that the process to find great bras is frustrating. An estimated size is just the start. Shape is also important, which means you may try on many bras which are not quite right until you find the fit that works for you. I used Amazon and its free returns to try on a bunch of bras in the comfort of my own home. This time around I will likely use Prime Try Before you Buy.

A hint on styles: foam cup or so-called t-shirt bras don’t actually fit many people. To fit, your shape needs to be the same as the mold, which rarely happens.

*Or is that datum of 1 or just anecdotal evidence?
PeninsulaPerson

Post by PeninsulaPerson »

DesertDiva wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:44 pm
+1. I make the occasional pilgrimage to Nordstrom or Dillards for a fitting and always end up with Wacoal. I also believe in compromising elsewhere.

+1000!

I have been watching this post with amazement (and amusement at the puns ... :) ).

If a bra costs $125 (just saying) and one wears it 5 times a week for 5 years (which is common enough), that's 10 cents a wear .... rounding up!
(9.61 cents actually, if my math is right.)

One of the deals of the century and - in these times when a kiddie dish of frozen custard is $5.75 (at least here in Metro Boston) and a McDonald's soft-serve is $2.99 - agree that getting the bra you want and compromising elsewhere is probably the frugal play!

(P.S God bless the wonderful and knowledgeable bra fitter ladies at Nordstrom. Super-highly recommended! And their service is free!)
Topic Author
lillycat

Post by lillycat »

OP here. Thanks for the support BH friends. giggle. Hey, I did snag 2! of my dream bras from Amazon.
And I was wondering. Am I unusual? I wear my bra once, then wash it. I could easily double, heck triple its life
by wearing multiple times, then washing. How many times do yall go between washings?
Maybe I’m just being overzealous, and could treasure my finds better by waiting?
SuzBanyan

Post by SuzBanyan »

lillycat wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:47 pm OP here. Thanks for the support BH friends. giggle. Hey, I did snag 2! of my dream bras from Amazon.
And I was wondering. Am I unusual? I wear my bra once, then wash it. I could easily double, heck triple its life
by wearing multiple times, then washing. How many times do yall go between washings?
Maybe I’m just being overzealous, and could treasure my finds better by waiting?
Great score!

I believe that washing after every 2 or 3 wearings is recommended. For Sports Bras, I might wash after every wear. My bra wardrobe consists of 7 everyday bras and 2 sports bras.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

lillycat wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:47 pm OP here. Thanks for the support BH friends. giggle. Hey, I did snag 2! of my dream bras from Amazon.

This has been very helpful. Thanks for starting this.
This has been a pleasant and uplifting thread!

And thanks also for those who recommended buying some at Nordstrom's ... Rack.

Cheers!

I think I'll be returning to Chantelle. I found (online) a style that looks a bit like a style I wore many years ago.

I hate shopping for these things by mail. It was annoying enough in person in years past.

But it turned out that Saks (probably others) has a mail order helper (who is not a bot). I'm in the process of returning a box of bathing suits. At least I found one that fits. :happy

She has offered to send me a selection of bras in hopes that I'll find something comfortable. Vaguely flattering would be nice as a bonus!

Of course, I'm sure she' be happy to send me a selection of anything in hopes that I'd buy it/some, but nevertheless, it's quite helpful.

RM
tunafish

Post by tunafish »

Every wearing and I just throw it in the wash with the other stuff that needs medium temp water, then into the medium temp dryer. Maybe that's why they don't last a long time. Then again, I hear dermatologists say we shouldn't bathe every day. I think I'll skip that advice too :-)