washing machine replacemnt

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
jpohio

washing machine replacemnt

Post by jpohio »

Our Kenmore washer is displaying an error code that requires service. I am guessing that a replacement part/board will be needed, which may take months. While I hope we can get it fixed, we may need to replace it. I understand there has been consolidation in that industry, and most appliances are made by a small number of manufacturers.

Has anyone recently bought a washer, and if so, which brand did you get.
Zeno

Re: washing machine replacemnt

Post by Zeno »

Whirlpool
Last edited by Zeno on Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
MOBY DICK

Post by MOBY DICK »

Just get the SPEED QUEEN.
shunkman

Post by shunkman »

Speed Queen TR5
A440

Post by A440 »

MOBY DICK wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:55 am Just get the SPEED QUEEN.
We are enjoying our Speed Queen. IMHO, it was worth the cost. We chose the TC5 model.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future.
nonstoprider

Post by nonstoprider »

We bought an LG WM4000HWA (front loader) at Best Buy in June. We are very happy with it so far. Quiet and has a speed wash cycle that's great when you're in a hurry. We ordered it online and had it delivered the next day. When it went on sale two weeks later I chatted with an agent online and they refunded the price difference on our credit card.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

jpohio wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:34 am Our Kenmore washer is displaying an error code that requires service. I am guessing that a replacement part/board will be needed, which may take months. While I hope we can get it fixed, we may need to replace it. I understand there has been consolidation in that industry, and most appliances are made by a small number of manufacturers.

According to Consumer Reports:

Top load agitator: LG in the top spots, then Samsung
Front load: LG, then one $2000 Speed Queen
Top load high efficiency: LG, then Sasmsung

In all the categories, LG takes the first few spots.

I don't feel right listing out individual model numbers, since Consumer Reports is a subscription service. It looks like you can't go wrong with LG. Ranking doesn't seem strongly correlated with price.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Before you do anything else get the model number of the washing machine off the label and Google it and the error code. It could be something as simple like it needs to be leveled or a filter needs to be cleaned out.

I have heard multiple places that even under warranty parts for Samsung and LG washing machines can take months to get so I would avoid them unless you research it and they have gotten better.

I think that they have reduced it some but Costco still likely has a better warranty on appliances they sell. When I need something like a washing machine I just look to see what they have with the price range and features I want and if they have decent reviews I will just buy what they have. Costco delivery and installation may also include things like hauling away the old machine and installation parts that other companies charge for.
Bogle7

Replace with better

Post by Bogle7 »

jpohio wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:34 am Our Kenmore washer is displaying an error code that requires service….Has anyone recently bought a washer, and if so, which brand did you get.
Our Kenmore-labeled washer was made by LG and died. The local LG appliance service shop said: “Don’t try to fix it. We can’t get parts. Buy a new one.”

We bought a Miele washer and really like it.
1. TwinDos detergent dispensing system is excellent.
2. 1400 rpm spin speed means clothes dry more quickly.
3. Made in Germany.
Highly recommended.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

Several years ago we bought a Maytag Centennial top loader with an agitator. It has served us well. I just checked the Maytag site and it’s still available and it’s only $569 delivered. It looks like it only comes in white.
https://www.maytag.com/washers-and-drye ... lsrc=aw.ds
Dusn

Post by Dusn »

I hate my GE washing machine, especially the error prone locking mechanism. That’s one company I’d avoid.
bstevlin

Post by bstevlin »

jpohio wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:34 am Our Kenmore washer is displaying an error code that requires service. I am guessing that a replacement part/board will be needed, which may take months. While I hope we can get it fixed, we may need to replace it. I understand there has been consolidation in that industry, and most appliances are made by a small number of manufacturers.

I recently bought a LG 4.3 CU. FT washer from Lowe's. I had it repaired after 60 days because it would not shut off. The tech replaced the main circuit board. Now it works only in normal wash. If I run the bedding cycle it will not shut off. LG customer service will not send a repair person back because the machine is functioning, there is not much I can do. I recommend buying an American made wash machine with mechanical controls sans micro chips. The Lowe's manager told me that problem is on LG.
illumination

Post by illumination »

I have a Whirlpool front loader that's been great.

I would really avoid anything from LG or Samsung, so many horror stories regarding repairs from friends and family.

I do think top loaders have significantly less problems if reliability is a big concern. The reality is the cheapest top loader with the fewest options is probably the most reliable. You're probably talking like $3-$4 a year in extra water use between a front loader and a top loader.
mjdaniel

Post by mjdaniel »

Speed Queen washer and dryer.
dual

Post by dual »

your best bet is to buy dumb. That probably means Speed Queen nowadays but there may be some alternatives.

see this thread
Replacing appliances--buy dumb
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewt ... ?t=321577
Topic Author
jpohio

Post by jpohio »

Thank you for all the replies. Speed Queen looks very good. I also subscribe to CR, and while I note that LG ranks very high, I can't ignore the multiple stories from both repair people and folks who own them that reliability is poor and parts are impossible to get.
DoubleComma

Post by DoubleComma »

Unless you really want a new washer, I wouldn’t be so quick to concede on a repair. Samsung parts seem hard to get, but Kenmore/Whirlpool haven’t been as challenging according to close friend who owns an appliance businesses.

A couple months ago our washer was acting up, various error codes, but ultimate it was simply a blockage in the drain filter basket. Unlike some units, there wasn’t a trap door to access this filter basket, but it was a simple 4 screws to remove the kick plate panel and access it. Good as new.

My point is only, these units are pretty simple to repair. Even if it’s a board swap. Lots of YouTube videos to help.
momvesting

Post by momvesting »

nonstoprider wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:11 am We bought an LG WM4000HWA (front loader) at Best Buy in June. We are very happy with it so far. Quiet and has a speed wash cycle that's great when you're in a hurry. We ordered it online and had it delivered the next day. When it went on sale two weeks later I chatted with an agent online and they refunded the price difference on our credit card.
Yes, I have a MUCH older version of this machine, I believe it is 12 years old and we've never had any issues. When we first got it, I did read about people having the mold/mildew issue so when it is not in use, the door is open at least a crack and we live in an arid climate.
delamer

Post by delamer »

Dusn wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:17 am I hate my GE washing machine, especially the error prone locking mechanism. That’s one company I’d avoid.
So I came here to post that we bought a Maytag washer about 2 years ago that broke after being in service for 18 months. And the service people were not able to repair it. I think it was a combination of inexperience on the technicians’ part and their inability to get support from the Maytag repair hotline (it was escalated up to the highest level of guidance and no call back was ever received).

So we bought a GE washer and it’s been fine.
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

Yale Appliances sells and services many major brands and keeps track of repair rates. Likely better stats than anecdotes.

Front load repair rates:
https://blog.yaleappliance.com/most-rel ... ad-washers

Top load repair rates:
Last edited by bluebolt on Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
radiowave

Post by radiowave »

mjdaniel wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:28 pm Speed Queen washer and dryer.
+1

We have not had much luck with our Samsungs, belt replaced 3 times on the dryer and the washer leaks some.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

MOBY DICK wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:55 am Just get the SPEED QUEEN.
I’ve read great reviews about the brand.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Zeno wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:49 amWhirlpool
I have whirlpool. Washer and dryer. I would rather have the old style. Washer/dryer with dials to set the machine I want. It is too expensive to replace the computer boards in new equipment.
BernardShakey

Post by BernardShakey »

I've gotten fed up with crappy washing machines in recent years. This last time, I went with a Speed Queen. IIRC, I got the one with the 7 year warranty. Too early to tell but I'm 59 and from what I've read, I can expect to be taking my RMDs well before the Speed Queen quits on me :D . I think I paid about $1450 for it late last year.
An important key to investing is having a well-calibrated sense of your future regret.
fed123

Post by fed123 »

Our Maytag had the same error code problem but am getting the board replaced one week after diagnosis.
GettingComfortable

Post by GettingComfortable »

LG parts: Try eBay, etc., after finding the part number(s). I bought new drum shock absorbers and pins there, for cheap. Installed well and working fine a year later.
sperry8

Post by sperry8 »

I bought the LG ThinQ recently. Works great, tied to Bluetooth as well (so you get notifications when things are done).
BH Contests: 23 #89 of 607 | 22 #512 of 674 | 21 #66 of 636 |20 #253/664 |19 #233/645 |18 #150/493 |17 #516/647 |16 #121/610 |15 #18/552 |14 #225/503 |13 #383/433 |12 #366/410 |11 #113/369 |10 #53/282
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

I recently bought a top-rated LG front loader. It would not pump out all the water - the drain was 70 inches off the ground and I was told the LGs frequently can’t handle this (even though the manual says they can do up to 96 inches). Seemed like a really nice machine but had to return it. Replaced with a basic top loader GE, so far so good.
delamer

Post by delamer »

fed123 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:53 pm Our Maytag had the same error code problem but am getting the board replaced one week after diagnosis.
I hope the new board works.

That’s what our service tech tried with our Maytag and it didn’t fix the problem, unfortunately.

BTW, we’d had a Maytag in another home that worked flawlessly for 6+ years.
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils
enad

Post by enad »

I bought a Maytag Washing machine (top loader) and drier (front loader) that were near the bottom in the family and they are all electro-mechanical (no fancy displays or a myriad of buttons to choose from). This was 35 years ago. I hope they continue to run. I had looked at Speed Queen 10 years ago when their quality was high as an alternative, but not so sure now.

If I have to replace one or both, I would look at a used vintage model (that works) and worst case have Maytag come out and go over it and lube whatever is necessary and if there are parts that may break, replace them with new parts. Then I should be good to go for another 10, 20 or more years. These old units are built like tanks. The only thing you really need to do is replace the hoses on the back about once every 5-7 years and clean the lint hose. I have the washer sitting in a large pan that does not get in the way, and a water leak sensor on the bottom of the pan that (1) shuts off the water supply to the washer, and (2) is tied to the WI-FI and sends an alert (email) in case there is ever a leak (this would be prudent for any washing machine), but the pan is bone dry the last 5 years.
What Goes Up Must come down -- David Clayton-Thomas (1968), BST
Midpack

Post by Midpack »

We bought this one https://www.lg.com/us/washers/lg-WM3900 ... oad-washer in July 2019 and it’s been perfect so far. I had an ancient GE washer for over 26 years, they don’t make them like that any more. Appliance parts guys told me it would last another 30 years if I took care of it, but I left it behind when we moved, figured it wouldn’t survive the move.
You only live once...
joetro29

Post by joetro29 »

Just bought Asko compact front loader. Both Samsung and LG were often panned.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

We bought an LG high efficiency top-loader in July 2015. It has been solid.
Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 »

jpohio wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:53 pm Thank you for all the replies. Speed Queen looks very good. I also subscribe to CR, and while I note that LG ranks very high, I can't ignore the multiple stories from both repair people and folks who own them that reliability is poor and parts are impossible to get.
My impression is that LG has high reliability--which is also what Consumer Reports says, and CR collects a lot more data than anyone's personal anecdotes. But when they do go wrong, repair companies and parts for LG are hard to find.

We bought a set of LG front loaders from Costco in 2016, perform the (trivial and easy) routine maintenance, and they've never had any trouble.
saversam

Post by saversam »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRgbfxJ8MTQ [Video is titled "Appliances Made to BREAK! What Should You Buy Built to LAST?" - moderator prudent]
HEAVYCRAIG

Post by HEAVYCRAIG »

To counter all of those who are recommending speed queen- I will provide my personal experience.

We purchased the TC7 and accompanying dryer several years ago. This was based on a lot of glowing reviews of the brand on multiple threads on this forum.

Fast forward several years- our experience is that the TC7 has horrible cleaning efficiency ( it will make your clothes smell nice but won’t remove stains.)
I looked this up and found that multiple professional review websites noted the same issue. Found out that the brand went away from their older designs with their lineup a few years ago. There was so much backlash that speed queen brought back the old design in the TC5 model.

The board on our washer had to be replaced and went through the warranty process with Speed Queen. You have to manage the process yourself by contacting a service company they provide you with contact information. They provided three companies and after contacting all three one later told me they no longer service the brand.
We eventually got the part replaced but you have to be proactive and manage the process.

You should also do other due diligence and read about why Consumer Reports does not include the brand in their testing.
SpideyIndexer

Post by SpideyIndexer »

bluebolt wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:40 pm Yale Appliances sells and services many major brands and keeps track of repair rates. Likely better stats than anecdotes.

Front load repair rates:

Top load repair rates:
I wonder if these stats would include failed units which the owners decided to replace rather than repair.
SpideyIndexer

Post by SpideyIndexer »

Local word of mouth is "buy a Speed Queen" from while Yale Appliance and Consumer Reports advocate LG.

Thinking through the issues, I would rather pay 2X price for a washer that would last 2X time, as that would involve less frequent shopping hassle and be better for the environment. Getting trustworthy data on time to failure and/or expected repair costs is difficult however.
Bogle7

repairability

Post by Bogle7 »

SpideyIndexer wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:46 am ...Yale Appliance and Consumer Reports advocate LG.... Getting trustworthy data on time to failure and/or expected repair costs is difficult however.
I don't believe that either looks at repairability when an appliance dies after 5+ years.
Personally, I will never buy LG based upon my experience where the authorized LG repair shop said: "buy a new one, we can't get parts".
We replaced our dead LG with a Miele.
Did not consider Speed Queen because that was during the 3-year period when their machines were crap. They have since fixed that.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
hand

Post by hand »

exodusNH wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:27 am
In all the categories, LG takes the first few spots.

I don't feel right listing out individual model numbers, since Consumer Reports is a subscription service. It looks like you can't go wrong with LG. Ranking doesn't seem strongly correlated with price.
Make sure you understand what is being measured - generally it is cleaning ability against difficult stains and efficiency on the standard cycle.

Expected lifespan, ease of repair and overall quality are not measured, and length of "normal" cycle is not controlled for (hint Speed Queen normal cycle is much shorter for their front loads, which is plenty for lightly soiled garments and easily modified for dirtier clothes, but puts them at a disadvantage in CR tests.)

I'm glad that Consumer Reports exists, but wish they measured things that mattered more to me.

Based on LG reputation for lower long term quality and difficulty getting replacement parts, I wouldn't put in the top 10.

Team Speed Queen here.
vrex

Post by vrex »

I have been a happy Speed Queen owner for many years. Not a lot of cycles or lights flashing. I have never had a problem with it. Most importantly, DW likes it very much.
teCh0010

Post by teCh0010 »

We have had LG 3700 for about 5 years. We had one issue, the triple solenoid water inlet started leaking. Our ice maker started leaking the same day, our water pressure went really high for a bit.

The part was readily available on Amazon and took 20 minutes to change. We are happy with the performance, no smell issues (our first front load).
dmon

Post by dmon »

nonstoprider wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:11 am We bought an LG WM4000HWA (front loader) at Best Buy in June. We are very happy with it so far. Quiet and has a speed wash cycle that's great when you're in a hurry. We ordered it online and had it delivered the next day. When it went on sale two weeks later I chatted with an agent online and they refunded the price difference on our credit card.
+1

And LG WM4000HW model is also rated #1 by Wirecutter. We've only had ours for 2 weeks or so, but it has been great. And our local Best Buy had several units in stock, unlike Home Depot & Lowe's where it was back-ordered for several weeks.
Chardo

Post by Chardo »

My Whirlpool dryer showed an error code just 2 days ago. I watched a YouTube video of the exact problem, and was able to fix it myself. Might want to try that first.
exoilman

Post by exoilman »

top load or front?

thnx
Sam
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

33 years - 2 washers, 2 dyers. All Whirlpool. Original washer made it 23 years, dryer 30 years. I'm a firm believer that the less electronic components the better.
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
30west

Post by 30west »

It's a flipping washing machine. Don't overthink it.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

You can sort CostCo and HomeDepot washing machines by ratings on their web site. In some cases thousands of ratings from consumers just like you.

Costco shoppers are happiest with LG.

HD shoppers love Electrolux.

We have grown tired of front loading washers. Our next will be a top loader.
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

jpohio wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:34 am I understand there has been consolidation in that industry, and most appliances are made by a small number of manufacturers.
Speaking of consolidation, Speed Queen is made by ALS which is probably the largest washing machine manufacturer in the world and now controls at least five brands of washers if not more. A dirty secret that isn't commonly known, is that they don't always make those machines but buy machines from other manufacturers and rebrand them. I know because my company sold them machines for many years rebranded under their label. We finally stopped because it became not in our interest to do so but I'm sure the practice still exists.

But I wouldn't be disappointed with either a Speed Queen or a Whirlpool. I personally own Whirlpool. Both manufacturers are located in the midwest and parts are a lot easier to come by than Kenmore which is really a rebranded LG these days.
hudson

Post by hudson »

I decided to replace all of my 10 year old appliances whether they needed it or not.

Why? Most were getting long in the tooth; I had the time and the cash; This ten year cycle would take me to age 85. In my earlier years, I ran them until they broke and fixed them myself as long as possible.

I talked to the owner of a trusted local appliance store. I requested the same models that he had in his house.
The washer was a Whirlpool WTW5010LW; it's worked well since March 2022.
The washer, dryer, dishwasher, refrigerator, and disposal were all Whirlpool. The range was a Kitchenaid.