Is johncbogle.com down?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Is johncbogle.com down?

Post by nisiprius »

Safari is showing me:
Safari Can't Open the Page
Safari can't open the page "https://johncbogle.com/wordpress/" because Safari can't
establish a secure connection to the server "johncbogle.com"
Firefox (for macOS) is showing me:
Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to johncbogle.com. SSL peer has no certificate for the requested DNS name.

Error code: SSL_ERROR_UNRECOGNIZED_NAME_ALERT

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.

Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.
Following the "learn more" link adds:
There is no option to add a security exception to bypass this type of error.
But isup.me says
Is Johncbogle.com down?
Checking if johncbogle.com is down or it is just you...
It's just you. johncbogle.com is up.
isitdownrightnow.com says
Johncbogle.com is UP and reachable by us.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
dodecahedron

Re: Is johncbogle.com down?

Post by dodecahedron »

Down for me right now in Chrome OS on a Chromebook.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

The name registration was updated last week so maybe there are changes underway that haven't filtered down through all the DNS servers out there. I no longer have a quick way to look up the registration history but maybe someone else can and can see if it's changed along with the registration update.
Topic Author
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Thanks, that sounds relevant.

I've emailed Michael Nolan (the long-time assistant to John C. Bogle), who I think is responsible for the site.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

nisiprius wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:43 pm Thanks, that sounds relevant.

I've emailed Michael Nolan (the long-time assistant to John C. Bogle), who I think is responsible for the site.
The registration update shows August 3, but like I said I'm not sure what about the registration was changed at that time.

It looks like the DNS record hasn't changed since 2021.
Topic Author
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

I've also emailed the current registrant, "Scott Sill," at the email address shown in the registration.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

tibbitts wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:29 pm It looks like the DNS record hasn't changed since 2021.
DNS is working fine then (regardless of a possible ownership change). The error in the OP indicates SSL related, probably some server-side misconfiguration.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Marseille07 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:26 pm
tibbitts wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:29 pm It looks like the DNS record hasn't changed since 2021.
DNS is working fine then (regardless of a possible ownership change). The error in the OP indicates SSL related, probably some server-side misconfiguration.
It's working fine; what I meant was the DNS record, and I'm assuming IP address, don't seem to have changed recently (unlike the registration record.)
trallium

Post by trallium »

looks like an SSL mis-configuration to me. Did you update the ssl cert recently?
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

trallium wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:49 pm looks like an SSL mis-configuration to me. Did you update the ssl cert recently?
Not sure who you're addressing but AFAIK the server administrator of johncbogle.com is not here.
Topic Author
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

I emailed the person who launched the site, and the person listed as the current registrant. Main reason I started the thread was a reality check, since isup.me and isitdownrightnow.com were saying it was up, so I wanted to confirm that it actually isn't.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

nisiprius wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:29 pm I emailed the person who launched the site, and the person listed as the current registrant. Main reason I started the thread was a reality check, since isup.me and isitdownrightnow.com were saying it was up, so I wanted to confirm that it actually isn't.
The site is "up" in the sense that there's a server & DNS is working & the port is responding. It is not serving the content you're looking for.

Hopefully the person in charge can fix the SSL issue.
trallium

Post by trallium »

if you decode the cert they are serving; they have "imperva.com" as the common name, and "Subject Alternative Names:" is missing johncbogle.com. Maybe the DDOS protection provider is who is mis configured.