Boat Ramp Construction

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
TravelforFun

Boat Ramp Construction

Post by TravelforFun »

What should one consider if one wanted to build a private boat ramp? The lake is large (30,000 acres) and has a number of public and private ramps.

TravelforFun
oldcomputerguy

Re: Boat Ramp Construction

Post by oldcomputerguy »

This topic is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (recreational activity).
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

The biggest consideration is probably local regulations. After that, it depends on use case. Are you trying to launch kayaks or a big fishing boat with three super sized outboards?
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

If you are backing trailers into the water, try and keep the approach as straight as possible!
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

You will almost assuredly require an Army Corps Water permit (can’t remember the name). Anything that impacts the shoreline requires such a permit on almost all bodies of water in the USA.
hershey102d

Post by hershey102d »

Shallow grooving to increase friction is desirable in late summer when algae/moss clings to the ramp or on a frosty morning. Ramps tend to stay wet so creating a surface with some friction especially benefits 2WD vehicles.
DoubleComma

Post by DoubleComma »

Regulations are the biggest issue.

Being able to build when the water level is low enough you can get the ramp down to a sufficient level that it’s useful at all “boat-able” lake levels.

Question - if you have land where you can build a ramp, why not build a dock with a lift and a pole barn type cover if not a full boat house instead? To me that would be a lot more convenient than launching and recovering frequently, and I am assuming frequent use if you are considering a private ramp.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

DoubleComma wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:04 pm Being able to build when the water level is low enough you can get the ramp down to a sufficient level that it’s useful at all “boat-able” lake levels.
When I had my boat, every ramp I ever used had the cement ramp far enough into the water that I could float the boat off the trailer before the wheels went off end of the ramp.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

Your local contractors will know what to do.
DoubleComma

Post by DoubleComma »

cheese_breath wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:06 pm
DoubleComma wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:04 pm Being able to build when the water level is low enough you can get the ramp down to a sufficient level that it’s useful at all “boat-able” lake levels.
When I had my boat, every ramp I ever used had the cement ramp far enough into the water that I could float the boat off the trailer before the wheels went off end of the ramp.
Exactly my point, how does OP manipulate the lake level to pour concrete well below the waterline?

I know how to drive pylons regardless of water level, which is why I suggested a dock with a lift as an alternative.
nosivol

Post by nosivol »

You can use a product like this.

Precast Boat Ramp Search

I figured there would be some kind of precast option since I use precast concrete in my business.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

As noted above, contact the local USACE office for something like this to start:

https://www.nae.usace.army.mil/Portals/ ... ay2014.pdf

Other governmental entities may also have authority. For example, in VA, both VIMS and DEQ (state agencies) might get involved and some regional authorities might also (for example if its an earthen dam lake). States may have their own permitting requirements as will the local govt. As examples: https://www.deq.virginia.gov/water/wetlands-streams https://usace.contentdm.oclc.org/utils/ ... 7/id/21194 Often, they are redundant but important. The insurance company may also have things to comply with.

VA, I assume other states are the same, has a “Joint Permit Application” (JPA) so only one form has to be filled out. If a permit is not needed, a letter is issued to that effect. Some attorneys specialize in this area and on their website have information; google "waterfront law."

Its not stated in the post, but is the property adjacent to the water? In VA, if it's not, a ramp can't be constructed. There's a difference between a slip and a dock. VA doesn't distinguish between a ramp and a dock, some states might.
Last edited by Mr. Rumples on Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

TravelforFun wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:02 pm What should one consider if one wanted to build a private boat ramp? The lake is large (30,000 acres) and has a number of public and private ramps.

TravelforFun
I'm curious about what compels you to inquire about considerations for building a private ramp on a large lake. You're probably aware of this, but many of the people that own land adjacent to large lakes have private docks, and keep their boat(s) on the lake throughout the primary boating season. They use the public ramps on the rare occasions when then want to get their boat(s) out of the water for some reason. (If they had their own ramp, it would get very little use.)

It seems like having just a private dock would make more sense for most people considering the cost of building a launch ramp, and the potential for a lengthy permit process involving a lot of red tape.
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

OpenMinded1 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:42 am
TravelforFun wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:02 pm What should one consider if one wanted to build a private boat ramp? The lake is large (30,000 acres) and has a number of public and private ramps.

TravelforFun
I'm curious about what compels you to inquire about considerations for building a private ramp on a large lake. You're probably aware of this, but many of the people that own land adjacent to large lakes have private docks, and keep their boat(s) on the lake throughout the primary boating season. They use the public ramps on the rare occasions when then want to get their boat(s) out of the water for some reason. (If they had their own ramp, it would get very little use.)

It seems like having just a private dock would make more sense for most people considering the cost of building a launch ramp, and the potential for a lengthy permit process involving a lot of red tape.
I live on much smaller lake, don’t have a private ramp, but jealous of the handful of residents who do have them. It is very handy for all types of watercraft. If I had the room and access, it would be a pretty high desirement.

Besides, who says he doesn’t already have a dock?
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

DoubleComma wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:56 am
Exactly my point, how does OP manipulate the lake level to pour concrete well below the waterline?

I know how to drive pylons regardless of water level, which is why I suggested a dock with a lift as an alternative.
People have been pouring concrete underwater since Roman times.
DoubleComma

Post by DoubleComma »

retiringwhen wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:21 am

Aware concrete can be poured underwater, I’m unaware it can be finished, textured and scored the way a boat ramp is in order to create the necessary added traction required. Where our lake house is, they put in an additional ramp, beforehand they dropped the lake level significantly in order to build the ramp. Guess I assumed that was how it’s always done.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

retiringwhen wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:17 am
OpenMinded1 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:42 am

TravelforFun

I live on much smaller lake, don’t have a private ramp, but jealous of the handful of residents who do have them. It is very handy for all types of watercraft. If I had the room and access, it would be a pretty high desirement.

Besides, who says he doesn’t already have a dock?
Not me.
hand

Post by hand »

Do you have a plan to keep others from using your "private" boat ramp?
il0kin

Post by il0kin »

Boat ramps are generally poured/finished onsite and then pushed into the water using heavy equipment. Just FYI.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Interesting thread since I am suppose to be sailing on the Chesapeake this week, but alas we are docked since last night awaiting a repair. I have the opportunity as I sit to see a ramp being installed. They have made a cofferdam, pumped out the water and are laying the concrete. Its like laying a driveway on an angle. I don't want to stop them and ask if it cures under water or exposed to air.

For more:

https://dwr.virginia.gov/boating/building-boat-ramps/
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
MikeWillRetire

Post by MikeWillRetire »

DoubleComma wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:34 am
retiringwhen wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:21 am

Aware concrete can be poured underwater, I’m unaware it can be finished, textured and scored the way a boat ramp is in order to create the necessary added traction required. Where our lake house is, they put in an additional ramp, beforehand they dropped the lake level significantly in order to build the ramp. Guess I assumed that was how it’s always done.
I saw a contractor who drove sheetpile around the ramp location to act as a cofferdam. A pump was installed to pump out the water and any water that seeped in. That allowed the contractor to place the concrete in dry conditions.
user5027

Post by user5027 »

Could use a portadam and pump to dewater the area to build a boat ramp.

https://portadam.com/cofferdam-projects ... -projects/