Address in checking account

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
ketanco

Address in checking account

Post by ketanco »

Can US citizens residing in foreign countries keep a regular checking bank account in the US, with their foreign addresses? I ask because recently I got an email from my bank in the US, saying that they will no longer allow foreign addresses for checking or savings. They tell me to update my address and enter a US residence address or close the account within 2 months.
exodusNH

Re: Address in checking account

Post by exodusNH »

ketanco wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:04 pm Can US citizens residing in foreign countries keep a regular checking bank account in the US, with their foreign addresses? I ask because recently I got an email from my bank in the US, saying that they will no longer allow foreign addresses for checking or savings. They tell me to update my address and enter a US residence address or close the account within 2 months.
There's nothing illegal about it. However, banks may choose not to allow it due to the potential compliance headaches.