Salvage my car with Wheelzy

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
carolinaman

Salvage my car with Wheelzy

Post by carolinaman »

Our 2007 Avalon blew an engine last week. It is sitting at repair shop right now. I have been getting quotes to salvage the vehicle since it is 15 years old with 190k miles. Local junk yards have offered up to $350 for it. I found an online dealer called Wheelzy who has offered $1036. They will tow the car from its present location. I will give them the notarized title and they will give me a check at the time of pickup.

I am leery of this company. First, their offer seems too good to be true which may mean there is some catch to this. Their BBB rating is F but there are numerous reviews with 5 stars.

My inclination is to insist on cash when they pick the car up next week. Should I even waste my time with them?
I appreciate your thoughts.
howard71

Re: Salvage my car with Wheelzy

Post by howard71 »

If Wheelzy is anything like WeBuyAnyCar, the online quote is nothing but bait and switch.

Just two days ago, I got rid of my 2006 Dodge Caravan only because I finally decided to downsize to one car after retiring about 5 years ago. Everything on the car was in working order except for a broken tail gate lifter. Paint was a little rough but no body damage. 129k miles. Online quote was $1100. When I took it for inspection they told me it was only worth $146, primarily because there was a transmission error code thrown after driving it. I have my own OBD tool and can read the codes myself and have never seen any such code so I suspected they were lying and got up to leave.

When asked to name a price I said $500 and the way it was quickly accepted led me to believe it was even more of a scam. I did take the check and leave them the car however. Didn't feel it was worth my time and effort to shop around for something better.
Topic Author
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

Thanks Howard. Your experience is what I fear but if it is, I will just walk away. Given the generous offer and if they pay cash which their website says they will, I feel it is worth a shot.
howard71

Post by howard71 »

carolinaman wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:28 pm Thanks Howard. Your experience is what I fear but if it is, I will just walk away. Given the generous offer and if they pay cash which their website says they will, I feel it is worth a shot.
I'd be very surprised if the quote you were given online was a firm offer to buy your car for that price. I just assumed mine wasn't. Don't see how any company could do that without inspecting the car.

So I would have a number in mind as the lowest you will take.

Also, when they say they "pay cash" do they really mean they will cut you a check? That's what WeBuyAnyCar did. Hard to believe a company like this would deal in cash.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

I have no idea about Wheelzy, but the price could be that high given just what the cat converter might be worth. That said, I handled vehicle donations for a non-profit, and the amount we got for salvage was robbery. Like, maybe $50?
Topic Author
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

Wheelzy says they issue an EFS check. I am not familiar with that but I understand that even certified or bank checks can be fraudelent. The banker who notarized our title said to insist on cash.
GettingComfortable

Post by GettingComfortable »

Post ads on FB Marketplace and Craigslist, as "Mechanic's Special -- you must tow away by ...". Price it at least doubly what those low-ballers will pay.

Note that the garage where it is at needs to be paid-off for their services+storage before they will let it go.
Topic Author
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

carolinaman wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:30 am Wheelzy says they issue an EFS check. I am not familiar with that but I understand that even certified or bank checks can be fraudelent. The banker who notarized our title said to insist on cash.
Wheelzy picked up car Tuesday. I gave them title and they gave me an EFS check. I deposited check at bank and they call EFS to confirm funds were available. Of course, it could still bounce but I doubt it. My research shows that this form of check is very common in trucking industry and it is more secure than a company check.

It was worth the risk because they offered $1,036 as compared to $300 to $400 from local salvage companies. The tow truck driver told me he was taking it to a large car auction site in town.
NerdJock

Post by NerdJock »

an EFS check is only a kind of check.
It is more secure in the sense that it is harder to fake.
Of course the money still needs to be in their account.
howard71

Post by howard71 »

carolinaman wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:15 am
carolinaman wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:30 am Wheelzy says they issue an EFS check. I am not familiar with that but I understand that even certified or bank checks can be fraudelent. The banker who notarized our title said to insist on cash.
Wheelzy picked up car Tuesday. I gave them title and they gave me an EFS check. I deposited check at bank and they call EFS to confirm funds were available. Of course, it could still bounce but I doubt it. My research shows that this form of check is very common in trucking industry and it is more secure than a company check.

It was worth the risk because they offered $1,036 as compared to $300 to $400 from local salvage companies. The tow truck driver told me he was taking it to a large car auction site in town.
You got a better deal than I did at WeBuyAnyCar. Too bad you posted the day after I sold mine or I would have given Wheelzy a try.
apple44

Post by apple44 »

I sold my mother's crashed car to Wheelzy today. Similar experience. They offered a little bit higher than the other ones. Transaction is smooth and easy.

The only issue is that they told me the driver would arrive before noon to pick up the car and would call 1 hour before his arrival, but the driver called me at 1:40pm letting me know he'd arrive in 10 minutes. I was on a conference call at work and told him I'd try to get there as soon as possible, but not in less than an hour. The driver turned out to be an elderly man and was very polite with few words. He patiently waited for me and helped me retrieve my mother's belongings in the car. So overall a great experience.
Topic Author
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

apple44 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:41 pm I sold my mother's crashed car to Wheelzy today. Similar experience. They offered a little bit higher than the other ones. Transaction is smooth and easy.

The only issue is that they told me the driver would arrive before noon to pick up the car and would call 1 hour before his arrival, but the driver called me at 1:40pm letting me know he'd arrive in 10 minutes. I was on a conference call at work and told him I'd try to get there as soon as possible, but not in less than an hour. The driver turned out to be an elderly man and was very polite with few words. He patiently waited for me and helped me retrieve my mother's belongings in the car. So overall a great experience.
Your experience is a common complaint on BBB posts. Mine was very punctual. He was also very courteous which I appreciated.

I had some reservations about their F score from BBB, but I got much more from Wheelzy and felt it was worth the risk.