How often do you upgrade your Smartphone?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
snackdog

How often do you upgrade your Smartphone?

Post by snackdog »

Boglers,

I am on my first phone (iphone 11 pro), as of 2020. The previous 25 years my employer provided phone and service. At the 2 year mark I am still happy the phone, camera and storage. The battery is fading a bit but tolerable if I can plug it in during the afternoon. I am thinking 3 years might be the sweet spot for upgrades.

How often should I plan for a new and upgraded phone? I realize some of you will say "every year when the new iphones are announced" or "I still have my Blackberry!" I am looking for a middle of the road answer based on the experience of those who want to maximize life of their smart phone but not fall into total obsolescence. It is 2 years? 3 years? 5 years? Oh, and I prefer unlocked phones not tied to any plan or monthly payment.

Thanks
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
jebmke

Re: How often do you upgrade your Smartphone?

Post by jebmke »

Mine seem to go for 5+ years unless there is a hardware failure. I had one Samsung phone die at about year 3-4 --- it was one of those that had the bootloop issue. This fall I will reach the two year mark with my iPhone 12-mini.
Last edited by jebmke on Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
matti

Post by matti »

I think one factor is how much you use your phone and what you use it for. I am a rather simple user with simple needs and I just got a new phone about two months ago after having my previous phone for 7 years.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

I’m an iPhone person. I generally upgrade every 3 years or so.

The phone is almost always working just fine when I upgrade. I could go longer for sure.
oxothuk

Post by oxothuk »

3 to 5 years for me. If I have to replace the battery to make it to 5 years I don’t mind; it’s money we’ll spent.

After 5 - 6 years, it’s not uncommon to reach end of life on IOS updates.
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

I won't update my iphone until battery dies. And then I will change the battery and the phone becomes new again. I have Mac computer and ipad on hand when need.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I tend to go about 6 years, then replace with a used phone. I've never paid more than $80 for a replacement iPhone. Typically, I won't replace a phone unless it stops working or if my work email won't work with the IOS level that the current phone can go to. I plan to retire soon. I might at that point go from my current SE back to my 4s, which was my favorite.

Oh, and if the battery becomes unusably weak, I have several USB external batteries and have no issue keeping them plugged in inside my pocket.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
turtlebug

Post by turtlebug »

Have had my iPhone 8 Plus for almost 5 years. I might have to update after 2022 if Apple stops providing updates/support; otherwise, I'm hanging onto it.
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

I use predominantly Pixel phones. When the operating system and security updates end,
I upgrade.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

2-3 years seems reasonable. No other device is with me most all the time. Even more than my wallet.

I find if I go past 3 years, there is enough change (4G to 5G as an example or processor speed or storage capacity) that you start to notice.
yohac

Post by yohac »

Lots of iPhone people like to trade up every year or two. I upgrade when a new feature comes out that I like, and for me face unlock and eSIM were the last two of those. Hence I will be riding my iPhone XR for at least a couple more years.
afan

Post by afan »

Rob5TCP wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:32 am I use predominantly Pixel phones. When the operating system and security updates end,
I upgrade.
Same for me. Replace when the security updates end.
We don't know how to beat the market on a risk-adjusted basis, and we don't know anyone that does know either | --Swedroe | We assume that markets are efficient, that prices are right | --Fama
RXfiles

Post by RXfiles »

Every couple years. Buy a used one 1 year old. I could wait longer but they're not that expensive compared to the utility I get from it and the upgrade of just having a nicer screen is worth it to me.
the_wiki

Post by the_wiki »

I don’t know why you’d have to have a set schedule.

If you have plenty of spare cash and you really like new phones, do it every year.

If you just consider a phone a basic tool, then only upgrade when your current one dies, or can’t get security updates.

If you are an average user, just upgrade when the new one looks like it will offer some significant benefits and/or there is a great deal.

I tend to upgrade every 18-24 months, and usually I feel like I kind of wasted money but I do like having an up-to-date phone with the best camera.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

the_wiki wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:51 am I don’t know why you’d have to have a set schedule.

If you have plenty of spare cash and you really like new phones, do it every year.

If you just consider a phone a basic tool, then only upgrade when your current one dies, or can’t get security updates.

That is generally my rule of thumb. Replace when it no longer works for the purpose intended or if there is a known security issue; for me it is not jewelry or clothing that goes out of fashion. Computers I keep over 10 years, for example.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

I still have my iPhone SE. 2nd battery almost dying. The best design ever iphone:too cheap no one want to steal, small enough to put in my pocket, square enough to stand by himself. and he has a earphone plug.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

snackdog wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:20 am Boglers,

I am on my first phone (iphone 11 pro), as of 2020. The previous 25 years my employer provided phone and service. At the 2 year mark I am still happy the phone, camera and storage. The battery is fading a bit but tolerable if I can plug it in during the afternoon. I am thinking 3 years might be the sweet spot for upgrades.

How often should I plan for a new and upgraded phone? I realize some of you will say "every year when the new iphones are announced" or "I still have my Blackberry!" I am looking for a middle of the road answer based on the experience of those who want to maximize life of their smart phone but not fall into total obsolescence. It is 2 years? 3 years? 5 years? Oh, and I prefer unlocked phones not tied to any plan or monthly payment.

Thanks
Until Apple no longer supports iOS update. I went from iPhone 4 to iPhone 11. I don’t have any place to upgrade it.
Time is the ultimate currency.
cbs2002

Post by cbs2002 »

When performance lag starts to get noticeable, I get the itch. Most recently I went from a 6s to an 11 (regular). That was sometime in the last two years. I'm always a couple gens behind because I buy on the cheap. I think this works out to every 4 years or so.

You can easily get a battery replaced for 50 bucks or so at a repair shop while you wait, that's not a reason to buy a new phone.

The newest iPhones have incredible hardware, way beyond what I need. I suppose if you are a power photo or video user your case may be better for a newer phone, but the phones a couple generations behind still seem like more than enough for me.
Zanmar

Post by Zanmar »

Last one was 2 years 6 months. It was a Huawei and then it just turned into a brick one day about 2 years ago on an update which was weird because updates had stopped on that operating system 6 months before. Usually longer, about 3 years.
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

I do 5 years, buying refurbished phones, and a battery case for them around the 3 year mark when they stop holding a good charge. But I wish I held on to my 2015 manufactured phone because it took better pictures (new one has overprocessing that you can't really turn off).

2007 - First cell phone. Flip phone Nokia or Motorola. Talk/text, no browser. Free with plan
2011 - Blackberry. Talk/text, simple slow and crashy browser. Free with plan
2014 - One of those clamshell phones with the full keyboard. Free with plan
2017 - Switched from Verizon to T-Mobile. Got refurbished 2015 Samsung Galaxy Note 5. Was my favorite of all. $400 with plan
2021 - Refurbished Samsung Galaxy Note 10. $300 with plan
2022 - Switching from T-Mobile ($56 for current line, was just quoted $90 to add my wife to plan, for talk/text/2gb data) to Ting ($10 for talk/text and $5 per GB of data, using T-Mobile network)

My Dad:
2004-2022 - Same flip phone. It could text and even take pictures, and he never had to replace the battery. I got a kick out of that.
45% Total Stock Market | 52% Consumer Staples | 3% Short Term Reserves
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

I'm on my 1st smartphone, it's currently 4yrs old and foresee no reason to replace it for at least another year. I had 3 (non smart)phones in the previous ~18yrs.

Post by 123 »

I started out as an Android smartphone user, generally paying $100 - $200 for an Motorola phone that I would typically keep for 18 - 24 months before security updates stopped. Then in 2020 when Apple came out with the new SE (2020) for $399 I got one of those. The price-point was perfect for me. I don't need a more fancy camera or a larger screen so its perfect for me. I will likely keep it as long as Apple supports it with security and OS upgrades and then I will buy whatever its replacement it. I found that Motorola phones were more marginal in terms of speed and flexibility whereas the Apple has more technical "head room" to hold onto it for longer. I found that some apps, like the WSJ app, had more features in the IOS version then were available in the Android version.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

WhiteMaxima wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:26 am I won't update my iphone until battery dies. And then I will change the battery and the phone becomes new again. I have Mac computer and ipad on hand when need.
How does one replace the battery?
Surfcaster

Post by Surfcaster »

For samsung phones I normally have to replace at around the 5 year mark. At that point a lot of apps stop working correctly. If it wasn't for this I would go longer between replacements
random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 »

Kookaburra wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:42 am
WhiteMaxima wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:26 am I won't update my iphone until battery dies. And then I will change the battery and the phone becomes new again. I have Mac computer and ipad on hand when need.
How does one replace the battery?
Search on youtube for "[phone model] battery replacement" to see how it's done. If do-able, buy the tools and battery online, either from ifixit, amazon, or ebay.

In all cases, you'll want a spudger tool:
$1.50 for 5 on ebay, if you're willing to wait for the slow boat from china, and maybe a wide & thin pry tool, which is also inexpensive if you order ahead of time ($1.40)
22twain

Post by 22twain »

My history so far:

2015: iPhone 5S (already a 2-year-old model).
2019: iPhone XR (already a year-old model). This was the year that Apple stopped supporting the 5S with new iOS upgrades.

I'll get at least one more year out of the XR. Whenever Apple stops new iOS upgrades for it, I'll switch to one of the then-newest models, or maybe one of the previous year's models if I get a really good deal on it.

I don't need to have the latest and greatest, but I do want to be able to keep up with security updates.
Meet my pet, Peeve, who loves to convert non-acronyms into acronyms: FED, ROTH, CASH, IVY, ...
boogiehead

Post by boogiehead »

I've noticed the sweet spot is sometime between 3 to 4 years in terms of your phone (iphone) still retaining significant value when you trade-in so that's when I usually upgrade and I'll upgrade one or two generations behind depending on what deal they have at the moment. After 5 years the phone becomes practically worthless so I realized its not worth it unless you plan on keeping the phone for like 7 years plus.
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

As often as I see beneficial. Usually that's every 3 years or so.
Light weight baby!
mhc

Post by mhc »

Every 2 years around black Friday.

I have found that with Verizon I can keep my family on the latest flagship phones for almost no cost by updating every 2 years. This last time Verizon paid us $200 each to trade in our two year old Samsung phones (S10) for new Samsung phones (S21).
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

I've generally been on a 2 year cycle since my first iphone (3gs, or the third one). However, lately I've started to extend those cycles as the differences have become more and more incremental with each new release. The difference between my iphone 3gs and Iphone 4S were enormous, as was the jump from 4S to 6s. But I skipped 6s to X and. I skipped the Iphone XS and 12 generations and went to a 13 pro after my X, and I will probably skip the next two releases as well unless something happens to my current phone before that time. Even the X to 13pro (skipping two generations) was less dramatic than my earlier jump from 3gs to 4s.

I suspect that while Apple will still try to keep their annual updates going as long as possible, they will become so incremental that it will probably take skipping 3 or more generations before there's something that really impacts the day to day use of the device. Back in the day, I used to update my desktop computer at least annually. Better processors, more RAM, and a new video card- they all made big differences in my regular use of the machine. My current desktop machine (Which I still use for gaming) is going on 5 years without any hardware updates, and I have not yet felt a compelling need for any.
Last edited by alfaspider on Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

When the phone dies, or they no longer support it, 2G and 3G.
Current phones are 4G, expect that to last a while due to limited
range of 5G.
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

I went from an iPhone 6 to an 11, so around 5 years. I was planning to do the same again, but I stupidly bricked the 11 and replaced it with a 13.
LawEgr1

Post by LawEgr1 »

I'm not huge on keeping up with latest tech even though I'm in my 30s, so what I've gotten away with so far is using the company phone I've been issued and asking if I can keep it when I find a new job. It's of no value to the company after a couple of years and then I get an upgraded phone to keep.

Downside of this is that now I have a good employer and don't plan on leaving, so I'll just hang on to what I have. Samsung S8 at 5 years old. Does everything I need and still have never purchased a smart phone due to how it's worked out for me.

Otherwise I suppose I'd replace on a 5+ year cycle
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

snackdog wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:20 am Boglers,

How often should I plan for a new and upgraded phone? I realize some of you will say "every year when the new iphones are announced" or "I still have my Blackberry!" I am looking for a middle of the road answer based on the experience of those who want to maximize life of their smart phone but not fall into total obsolescence. It is 2 years? 3 years? 5 years? Oh, and I prefer unlocked phones not tied to any plan or monthly payment.ed

Thanks
current
iphone 7?plus, loaded, paid in cash full.
bought new with one new battery since new
now
running out of memory and battery weak

planning on the new iphone 14 pro plus
loaded to the max
will pay in cash in full

j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Shackleton

Post by Shackleton »

I try to get 5+ years from my iPhone. Just replaced one because it was behaving oddly (not getting some SMS messages like the ones sent for 2FA) and not displaying VMs. Tried changing the SIM card twice and resetting all sorts of things but finally decided something was wonky inside and since it was 5.5 years old (iPhone X) moved to the iPhone 13.

To improve battery life when it starts getting older, you can change the email settings so it only pulls emails when you open the app and refresh. I find that helps a lot for older batteries.
“Superhuman effort isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results.” ~Ernest Shackleton
Bogle7

Re: How often do you upgrade your iPhone?

Post by Bogle7 »

Less often than my wife does.
She likes new shiny Apple products.
Last edited by Bogle7 on Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
Afty

Post by Afty »

Every 3 years for me. It used to be 2, but the technology isn’t changing as quickly these days.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Cellphones are on DW's list of bills she pays for in our overall expenses.

We seem to change every three years or so. Last new phone I received was a IPhone 12. We traded in my Samsung S9 and will pay $100 over the new committment period of the cell plan. DW did the same for her Samsung S8, she received an IPhone 11 for the same $100 cost. Funny thing, she always gets a new phone before I do, and consequently she ends up being one model behind me.

Over the pandemic we changed to IPhones due to the the rest of our family having I Phones. Facetime was nice when we couldn't see everyone at various times because of covid. We went on a DD's plan, saved $$$ for everyone as there are four of us on the plan instead of just two of us on our former plan.

I am glad we moved from Vermizon to ATT. Overall she seems to have fewer issues with billing.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
an_asker

Re: How often do you upgrade your iPhone?

Post by an_asker »

Bogle7 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:54 pm Less often than my wife.
This is a bit ambiguous. I'm scratching my head whether you mean to say ...
a) "Less often that I upgrade my wife."
OR
b) "Less often than my wife does."

Both valid answers but both are still not very clear unless we know your habits and those of your wife (wives?).

Tongue in cheek only!! :sharebeer
furikake

Post by furikake »

I'm cheap, I only upgrade when it doesn't run anymore. My last phone was an iPhone 6S Plus, it was rebooting several times a day, and could not keep charge. I always had to have a battery pack with me, very troublesome. Sometimes it would die and would not reboot for a while. I was wondering when it would die for real. This was actually a new phone Apple gave me when they screwed up my original 6S Plus and couldn't fix it. The 2 6S Pluses lasted I think 6 years total. When 13 became available, I got one. My iPad too, when it couldn't run anymore, I upgraded. Same with my watch. Just got a new watch because they send you a new one when you send it in for a new battery, so I'll keep it for a while.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

My current phone is a Samsung S7 which is at least 5 years old if not more. I think I bought it new in 2016 or 2017. It takes terrible pictures compared to my husband's newer phone. It also heats up quite a bit when using google maps. However I hardly use it otherwise, I'm one of those annoying people who really try not to look at my phone at all unless absolutely necessary. I will use it until it dies. Hopefully it doesn't do that while I'm traveling.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
letahl

Post by letahl »

Rob5TCP wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:32 am I use predominantly Pixel phones. When the operating system and security updates end,
I upgrade.
Same. Disconnected from the iBorg some years back and am very happy with Pixels. I mainly use my phone for easy stuff and the camera and the Pixel photos are fantastic, and refurbished Pixels are affordable.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Replace ever 3-5 years depending on how the phone is holding up. I always buy the current Samsung flagship.
d0gerz

Post by d0gerz »

2011 - iPhone 4
2013 - iPhone 5
2015 - iPhone 6 - shattered the screen on the 5
2019 - iPhone 7 - shattered the screen on the 6, about a month after I replaced the battery, yeah that hurt. I miss the headphone jack
2022 - iPhone SE 3rd gen. 5G capable, plus TMobile wanted to give me $200 for the 7 (30 upfront, the rest spread out over two years) whereas looking on eBay used 7s are only $80-100 tops

That averages to about a new phone every 3 years or so.
atomicrc11

Post by atomicrc11 »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:27 am I plan to retire soon. I might at that point go from my current SE back to my 4s, which was my favorite.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but the iPhone 4S will no longer work. All 3G networks will be shut down by the end of the year and the 4S never supported Wi-Fi calling. I belive AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile's networks are shutdown with Verizon shutting down on December 31st 2022.

Also a call to anyone using a 3G only phone, you need to upgrade now to maintain service.
Circe

Post by Circe »

I replace my iPhones about every 4-5 years. I retired my SE this year and got the new SE. I like the small size so that I can keep it in my pocket when I'm working outside or walking the dog.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

It depends on how well it keeps working. I have replaced my phone after 2 years when the battery was starting to go. Early iPhone models. The last one was 3 years before the battery started going. This phone is about to go on year 4 and the battery appears to be doing fine. I hear that iPhone may be switching over to usb-c chargers in 2023. I'm hoping to hold out till then if possible which would be 5 years.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

1. When the battery goes.
2. When I need more storage.
3. When it stops working right.
holycow007

Post by holycow007 »

Still using 2017 Pixel 2XLs between wife and I
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

I have a Pixel 3xl that i bought two years ago as an almost 2 year old model (Backmarket.com). While traveling in Europe recently used a lot of Maps, battery plummeted. If I were a big user of Maps (outside of my car with wireless charging) probably switch out the battery, phone runs fine and is still getting security updates for a year or two, last OS update was to Android 12, apparently not getting 12L.

Cost was around $275. keep it for three years and have a daily cost around $.20
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells