How to find an insurance broker

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
AstaticInventor

How to find an insurance broker

Post by AstaticInventor »

What are recommended ways to find an insurance broker?

For example, when looking for a financial planner I know I can start at NAPFA to locate fee-only, fiduciary planners in my area and then use that list to start narrowing down candidates by the services they offer, specializations, etc.

Are there credentials I should look for in an insurance broker? Is there a starting place that has a directory of brokers in my area? A way to search for brokers by the companies they work with?

How would you start your search?
Zambeezy

Re: How to find an insurance broker

Post by Zambeezy »

I'd be interested in hearing others' experiences on this as well. I've never used a broker but from reading plenty of threads on the topic, it doesn't seem like they're able to consistently provide savings above what you could easily get on your own.

I like to do market checks every 12 months or so for my insurance products and every time I do them, I come up with the same winners and losers. State Farm's algo loves me apparently, and they're always the cheapest for the coverage.
exodusNH

Re: How to find an insurance broker

Post by exodusNH »

AstaticInventor wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:15 am What are recommended ways to find an insurance broker?

For example, when looking for a financial planner I know I can start at NAPFA to locate fee-only, fiduciary planners in my area and then use that list to start narrowing down candidates by the services they offer, specializations, etc.

Are there credentials I should look for in an insurance broker? Is there a starting place that has a directory of brokers in my area? A way to search for brokers by the companies they work with?

How would you start your search?
Usually by asking your friends.

In my experience, you don't necessarily get a better rate with a broker than a captive agent. (Again, sample size of 1.)

I was with my broker for 15 years. They never had me carrying any more than the minimum liability amounts, even though my income and wealth had grown over that time. I didn't know enough to ask.

They can be helpful to locate insurers for difficult or odd cases.