Recommendations for driving the California Highway 1

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
flyingaway

Recommendations for driving the California Highway 1

Post by flyingaway »

Out of San Francisco, my previous furthest south drive was to 17 Mile Drive.

I will have three days in middle September and plan to drive from San Francisco to Los Angeles along the Highway 1. Any recommendations will be appreciated, especially the sites to stop, and overnight stays. We like natural scenes better.

Day 1, pick up a rental car at San Francisco Airport at around 10:30AM, driving south. Need to find a place for overnight stay, I am temporarily thinking about San Simeon. Plan to stop along the Big Sur area, yes, that bridge and fall.

Day 2, drive to Los Angles, stay somewhere in Los Angeles. I read the Hearst Castle is worth a couple of hours, seals, any other interesting places.

Day 3, Tour Los Angles, any interesting places. Late afternoon, drive back to San Francisco Airport using the freeway for a late flight back at 11:59PM.
PeninsulaPerson

Re: Recommendations for driving the California Highway 1

Post by PeninsulaPerson »

We did the Route 1 drive a few years ago - over two days, heading north.

Route 1 is beautiful (of course!) but I found it to be a very tiring driving. Between looking at the beauty and being careful to not go over yet another cliff, it's not like zone-out highway driving at all. I found myself thinking that - after about and hour or so - gorgeous tho' it was, enough was enough. And there were still many miles to go!

Also be sure to line up a place to stay in advance. We had been on the road and had no trouble finding overnight accommodations until we started looking for something off Route 1!

Also-also if you don't know California, take the huge distances into account. And the super-heavy traffic! We quickly realized we weren't in Kansas anymore, let alone Massachusetts!

Hope you have a great time! It is a very special place! (Carmel was amazing! We wished we could have stayed there!)
Last edited by PeninsulaPerson on Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

The Chinatown of Los Angeles has some good food options, or at least it did a decade ago when I was there. Downtown and Hollywood after dark felt a little dangerous. Malibu beach is worth a stop.
45% Total Stock Market | 52% Consumer Staples | 3% Short Term Reserves
quietseas

Post by quietseas »

Given your plan to loop back to SFO, I would not go all the way to Los Angeles.

Loop back up to Hwy 101 via Hwy 46 at Cambria to Paso Robles, for example.

Alternatively you could loop back via San Luis Obispo or go all the way to Santa Barbara and backtrack up 101.

September is a peak month to travel this route, your itinerary might be determined by availability of lodging.

I would spend the first night in Monterey or Big Sur if you are lucky to get a room, try to spend two nights in one or two different hotels in San Simeon or Cambria or Morro Bay or Paso Robles, take Hearst Castle tour or maybe visit a winery near Paso Robles, then drive back to SFO via US 101 which is more scenic than I-5.
DoubleComma

Post by DoubleComma »

Your plan sounds fine.

Might Consider staying in Cambria opposed to San Simeon, many hotels/motels off Moonstone Beach Dr. Certainly more and better options than San Simpson, and only 10 min further south.

Between San Simeon and Carmel there is lots of beauty, but unless you plan to stop for a hike, it’s really observed through the windshield.

On your trip from San Simeon to LA I would strongly suggest a stop in Santa Barbara. Even a couple hours along State Street, along the water front, pier and harbor would be time well spent. So many great places for lunch along that area too.

Update - didn’t realize you planned to loop back to SFO. Would suggest you change your return flight to be from LAX or just go as far south as San Luis Obispo/Pismo Beach. At Pismo you will see the transformation from Northern Ca coastline to Southern CA big white sand beaches.
Last edited by DoubleComma on Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
quietseas

Post by quietseas »

PeninsulaPerson wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:15 am Route 1 is beautiful (of course!) but I found it to be a very tiring driving. Between looking at the beauty and being careful to not go over yet another cliff, it's not like zone-out highway driving at all. I found myself thinking that - after about and hour or so - gorgeous tho' it was, enough was enough.
Yes, between Carmel and the start of the four lane divided highway at Cayucos it is not a stress free drive. There is a lot of traffic including slow moving RVs (that also can partially block your view while driving) and erratic tourists and you must pay attention to the road. You can't really gaze out at the view while driving or stop on a dime and pull over so you can enjoy the view.
DoubleComma

Post by DoubleComma »

Maybe also add that if you plan to return to SFO, many people find the drive north on 1 a little more relaxing since there will be a lane between you and the cliff. This might be a bigger deal in an RV. However if you would anxious driving the cliff side, consider taking 101 South to San Luis Obispo and then cut over to 1 and head north back to sfo.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

Your plan is a ton of driving if you want to really enjoy HWY1 at all. It is frankly too much for 2.5 days to see the entire route plus LA. I would go to Monterrey/Carmel/Big Sur the first day, San Simeon the second, Cambria overnight, and back via Paso Robles and 101.
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
PeninsulaPerson

Post by PeninsulaPerson »

snackdog wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:37 am
Cambria ...
Cambria was also gorgeous! Ever since seeing it, I have imagined it was the place that Bruce Springsteen was referring to in that song (Rosalita) about a "pretty little place in Southern California." I know the geography is all wrong but Cambria felt so right for that!
vested1

Post by vested1 »

I worked in Big Sur for over 20 years, commuting every day from Monterey and sometimes driving around through Los Padres National Forest when the road was closed, or flying in by helicopter. I routinely drove as far south as Lucia, which is 22 miles south of Big Sur proper. I would say you are being overly ambitious with your driving schedule. Google maps shows the route from SFO to LAX as taking 8 hours and 43 minutes, non-stop. That's optimistic in my opinion, and I would add another couple of hours due to unforeseen accidents and traffic.

I would second the suggestion to fly back from LAX rather than return to SFO. That way you can take a more leisurely drive and stop occasionally. If money is not object I would stay in Big Sur at either the Post Ranch or Ventana, and both have excellent dining, as does Nepenthe. Deetjens Big Sur Inn is another somewhat less expensive option, but it's quirky and rustic to say the least. Henry Miller Library is nearby Deetjens. Cambria is nice and not far from San Simeon and Hearst Castle, which I've toured many times, but not in awhile.

Monterey has some great restaurants and quite a few bread and breakfast destinations in every peninsula city, a bit more quaint and expensive in Carmel. Point Lobos is about 4 miles south of Carmel and is worth the visit, with easy hiking trails skirting the rugged coast and the Pacific. Humpback whales will be migrating in September, whereas Grey whales migrate earlier in the year. The whales come closest to shore off Soberanes Point, about 8 miles south of Carmel. You might see some orcas if you're lucky, or even a condor flying around Grimes Point, about 10 miles south of Nepenthe. I would not leave your car parked and unattended along Hwy 1 for any length of time because opportunistic criminals will break your windows and steal whatever they can find.

The scenery is unforgettable and unmatched along Hwy 1 in my opinion.

Post by 123 »

In the past tickets for the San Simeon Hearst Castle Tours had to be purchased far in advance so you may want to lock in your tour time with an advance purchase to avoid disappointment. I don't know how the pandemic has impacted them at the present time. Between the bus ride up to the castle, a tour, and the bus return to the visitor center it can easily take 4 to 6 hours so play your schedule accordingly.

If you have Netflix be sure to watch an episode or more of the "Ratched" series. Beautiful coverage of the idyllic California coast, set in the 1940's.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
fasteddie911

Post by fasteddie911 »

I'd consider giving an entire day for a bulk of the driving and taking your time. Spend night 1 in Carmel area and night 2 in Santa Barbara or even LA. We liked Santa Barbara as well as Solvang and Ojai. I don't remember anything noteworthy on Hwy 1 between SF and Carmel, so maybe it can be skipped. Likewise between Santa Barbara and LA wasn't anything special, comparatively speaking. You could loop back to SF sooner before hitting LA, or just fly out of LA. But driving LA to SF on I5 isn't a big deal either.
safari

Post by safari »

That's too much driving for a 3-day trip. You're going to be dead tired. It's not worth it to drive all the way to LA for a half day. The drive back from LA to SF could easily take you 7 hours, depending on the traffic. I'd spend the first night in Carmel-by-the-Sea - lot's of beautiful scenery in the Monterey Bay area. On the second day continue driving south and do some hiking in Big Sur. I suggest Nepenthe for lunch. You can stay in Cambria for your second night and then on your 3rd day you can explore Morro Bay or visit the Hearst Castle before heading back to SF.
MJS

Post by MJS »

Driving back to SFO will be an exhausting end to two days of stressful driving. Yes to flying out of LA instead.

You could drop the car off at Burbank and fly to SFO -- if you must fly out if San Francisco -- for about $200 each via Southwest. Other LA airports are further south and more expensive .
Ipsa scientia potestas est. Bacon F.
Tirebiter

Post by Tirebiter »

Los Angeles can be a wonderful place to live but it is a very difficult place to visit, especially in 1 day. Compared to San Francisco, which can be "experienced" in a weekend, Los Angeles is massive and very spread out, with many attractions but no one place being particularly representative of the city as a whole, and the driving time from one memorable location to another is rarely less than 45 minutes.

I agree with some of the posters above to skip LA, other than maybe the airport to fly home. If you like, you could visit some of the beach cities in LA near the airport (Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach), but in my opinion you'll get a better version of that by spending some time in Santa Barbara instead.
hightechburrito

Post by hightechburrito »

As others have said, the drive time from SF to LA on Highway 1 is just shy of 9 hours. The usual traffic and accidents can easily add 3 or more hours to this, plus whatever stops you're planning on making. Driving down there over 2 days sounds like a great idea, but then turning around and driving back the next day sounds nuts. I'm assuming you're planning on taking the less scenic route back on I5 to same time, but even then it's 6-7 hours minimum, so trying to catch a flight that night would make for a pretty stressful drive back.

California is so big, you can't really treat it like the East Coast states where you can drive across multiple states in a few hours. Even if you were to spit it up between Northern and Southern CA, it's still huge. I'd decide what you really want to see, and make this either a Northern CA trip, or a Southern CA trip.
MikeWillRetire

Post by MikeWillRetire »

If you have to get back to SFO, consider just driving down to Big Sur. Take your time and enjoy the drive. It is stunning.
Scrooge McDuck

Post by Scrooge McDuck »

Repeating what everyone else has said, but this really seems too rushed. Consider flying out of LA, or turning back early.

As far as scenery, I think the highlight will be from Monterey to Morro Rock, especially around Big Sur. Other sections are nice too, but I wouldn't feel you are missing much if you skip the section south of Santa Barbara, for example.

Given that you prefer nature and have little time, I wouldn't try to visit LA.

There's not much lodging in Big Sur. The Monterey area will have more options. Regardless, I would be sure to book ahead.
CletusCaddy

Post by CletusCaddy »

I recommend being extra cautious in this stretch:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/art ... 272836.php
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

The drive south out of San Francisco, when you're on the edge of the cliff, was the most frightening drive I've ever done.

But maybe you're a braver driver than I am. Lots of people are. Many aren't.
Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap »

CletusCaddy wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:27 pm I recommend being extra cautious in this stretch:

I live about a mile from here.

It's so much safer now with the tunnel than the prior set up. The state decommissioned the old section of highway and it is now a scenic walking path. I recommend the OP get started a little earlier, grab a breakfast to go and check it out.
Every day I can hike is a good day.
Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap »

Steelersfan wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:08 pm The drive south out of San Francisco, when you're on the edge of the cliff, was the most frightening drive I've ever done.

When did you drive this section? The tunnel opened in 2013. The road is much safer.

My parents rode their bikes through this area on a trip from SF to San Diego during the late 1980s. My mom said the same thing; scariest section of Hwy One ever!
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

Book accommodations way ahead of time. Last time I did the journey 10-15 years ago I couldn't find a hotel for miles and whatever they had was overpriced. I ended up pulling 18 hour drive which wasn't very smart.
CletusCaddy

Post by CletusCaddy »

Carefreeap wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:41 pm
CletusCaddy wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:27 pm I recommend being extra cautious in this stretch:

It's so much safer now with the tunnel than the prior set up. The state decommissioned the old section of highway and it is now a scenic walking path. I recommend the OP get started a little earlier, grab a breakfast to go and check it out.
"Much safer now" is still 1-2 deaths per year.
Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap »

CletusCaddy wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:59 pm
Carefreeap wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:41 pm

"Much safer now" is still 1-2 deaths per year.
A number of them are suspected suicides. We know when these accidents happen because they shut down the road and my town effectively becomes a cul-de-sac for hours. The 6 people in the van in 1992 was particularly bizarre. I was living here at the time. The people were found naked in the van along with all kinds of illegal drugs. Don't think that was the road's fault!

I'm glad Caltrans is installing some more road barriars but what I'd really like is for the road to get a little wider south of the tunnel for safer bicycle and pedestrian use. There's a critial section of the Coastal Trail missing which can strand these kinds of users which puts everyone at risk.
btraven

Post by btraven »

" I don't remember anything noteworthy on Hwy 1 between SF and Carmel". Not sure where that came from, but this stretch is considered one of the most beautiful highways in the world. Stop on the Santa Cruz Wharf or Shadowbrook restaurant in Capitola for lunch. Walk on the dunes of Zmudowski State Beach in Moss Landing.
bh1

Post by bh1 »

We make that drive 6 times a year. We book hotels at least two months in advance, and sometimes we can't get into the ones we want. Decent hotels are $300-$400 a night. Last I checked a few months ago, Hearst Castle was closed.

By the way, there is no more Chinatown in Los Angeles. It's just a Metro stop name now. There's one cute little plaza with tourist swag. The 1-million-plus Chinese speakers and their good restaurants are elsewhere.
squirrel1963

Post by squirrel1963 »

Steelersfan wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:08 pm The drive south out of San Francisco, when you're on the edge of the cliff, was the most frightening drive I've ever done.

One way to lessen this issue is to travel from LA to SF, as you'd be on the mountain side.
LMP | Liability Matching Portfolio | safe portfolio: TIPS ladder + I-bonds + Treasuries | risky portfolio: US stocks / US REIT / International stocks
chris319

Post by chris319 »

That's an awful lot of driving. After a while you're going burn out on driving, scenery or no.

If you depart too late in the day you'll be driving in the dark and won't see any pretty scenery. I've driven 101 after dark and it's pretty desolate — not recommended.

You're giving yourself less than one full day to see L.A. You could visit the beaches at Santa Monica and Venice, and the Santa Monica pier. It wouldn't be a tragedy if you skipped Beverly Hills, Hollywood and downtown L.A. this trip.

You could drive to L.A. over two days, return the rental car in L.A., then catch a flight back to SFO or take Amtrak's Coast Starlight train to Emeryville, then over the bridge to the city.

Just some ideas.
Financial decisions based on emotion often turn out to be bad decisions.
SuzBanyan

Post by SuzBanyan »

bh1 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:21 am We make that drive 6 times a year. We book hotels at least two months in advance, and sometimes we can't get into the ones we want. Decent hotels are $300-$400 a night. Last I checked a few months ago, Hearst Castle was closed.

By the way, there is no more Chinatown in Los Angeles. It's just a Metro stop name now. There's one cute little plaza with tourist swag. The 1-million-plus Chinese speakers and their good restaurants are elsewhere.
I believe Heart Castle has reopened recently: https://hearstcastle.org/
SuzBanyan

Post by SuzBanyan »

chris319 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:29 am That's an awful lot of driving. After a while you're going burn out on driving, scenery or no.

If you depart too late in the day you'll be driving in the dark and won't see any pretty scenery. I've driven 101 after dark and it's pretty desolate — not recommended.

You're giving yourself less than one full day to see L.A. You could visit the beaches at Santa Monica and Venice, and the Santa Monica pier. It wouldn't be a tragedy if you skipped Beverly Hills, Hollywood and downtown L.A. this trip.

You could drive to L.A. over two days, return the rental car in L.A., then catch a flight back to SFO or take Amtrak's Coast Starlight train to Emeryville, then over the bridge to the city.

Just some ideas.
I would never suggest Amtrak Coast Starlight for someone with a plane to catch at SFO at Midnight. Although the scheduled arrival in Emeryville is at 9:37 PM, this is one of those routes that often has delays, often for hours. With the time needed to transfer to SFO (OAK would be closer and a little quicker), it would be difficult to make a Midnight flight even if the train is on-time.
MarkRoulo

Post by MarkRoulo »

flyingaway wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:08 am Out of San Francisco, my previous furthest south drive was to 17 Mile Drive.

I will have three days in middle September and plan to drive from San Francisco to Los Angeles along the Highway 1. Any recommendations will be appreciated, especially the sites to stop, and overnight stays. We like natural scenes better.

... snip ...
Check that your intended route is open just before you head out. Occasionally parts of Highway 1 fall into the ocean and the road is closed. This doesn't happen often, but checking is free.
investor4life

Post by investor4life »

Coincidentally, we are doing this same trip next week: Flying into SFO, driving a rental car from SF to LA on the PCH over two days, a couple days in LA with friends, driving back to SF on day 5 (either on the PCH or on Hwy 101) then taking a red-eye home. Happy to share our experience after the trip if you DM me.

We had planned a somewhat similar trip last year but had to postpone. Here's a thread with from back then which may be helpful:
viewtopic.php?t=352116
otinkyad

Post by otinkyad »

The return drive is brutal, as everyone says, even if you take 101 or I-5. Like others suggest, I would fly out of LAX or not go past Pismo Beach or maybe Santa Barbara, unless there’s something specific you want to do in LA. At a maximum stretch, maybe Malibu or Santa Monica. Highway 1 has big stretches away from the ocean, from Morro Bay to Gaviota (with a peek at Pismo Beach), from Santa Barbara to Oxnard, and an ugly stretch from Santa Monica down to LAX. We usually take 1 from Oxnard to Santa Monica, over 101 to 405, and often stop at Country Mart in Malibu.

San Simeon is the most boring place on the entire central coast to stay for the night. Cambria, Morro Bay, SLO, Avila Beach, and Pismo Beach are all better.

The elephant seals and Hearst Castle are good. We enjoy a bite to eat at Rocky Point, Gorda, or Ragged Point. The Henry Miller Library in Big Sur is worth a stop. Paddle boarding or kayaking at Morro Bay is nice, and protected in the harbor and estuary. There are nice hikes in Big Sur and everywhere from Morro Bay to Pismo Beach. Avila Beach is a nice lunch spot, as is Solvang if you press on, but it’s a little off the path. I would go one way on 1/101 and the other on 154 and visit Solvang.

There’s lots of good stuff in Santa Barbara. The Mission and Natural History Museum are close together. There are a lot of parks, a decent Monarch Butterfly grove (though Pismo’s is better, I think), and shopping and the boardwalk as others have mentioned.

If you go to LA, the Santa Monica Pier is iconic, and the Getty Villa nearby is magnificent, as is the Getty Center farther east (if you loop down 1 and head back north on 405 to either 101 or 5). There’s a current thread about visiting LA. Griffith Observatory and the Huntington Library are much mentioned.
Topic Author
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

Thanks for all the responses, based on the information posted, I temporarily booked hotel rooms in San Seamon and Santa Barbara, and will skip Los Angeles and drive back to SFO on Day 3.
GW208

Post by GW208 »

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet but all I can add is make sure you top off your gas tank before leaving Monterey. The price of gas can be quite high along the coast between Monterey and Morro Bay.
celia

Post by celia »

I suggest driving North instead of South to avoid the proximity to the sea cliffs. If you become distracted by anything, . . .