Have $25k to invest - already have an investment account

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
GuruSatu

Have $25k to invest - already have an investment account

Post by GuruSatu »

Hi all, looking for a bit of advice/direction here. I already have a healthy retirement account going, which I contribute to every month and will continue to do so. My wife and I have also accumulated about $25k in savings through our employer provident fund and this will only increase over the next 2 years. We live abroad (I am from the US and my wife is Indonesian) and we would like to invest this money somehow as a means of generating passive income.

Any advice/tips/direction on what to do with it so that it could begin to generate passive income?

We have discussed using it to purchase real estate, but are unsure. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Affable at 50

Re: Have $25k to invest - already have an investment account

Post by Affable at 50 »

How does this $25k compare to your healthy retirement account?

What are your goals for spending this money? What is your time frame for needing the money?

Why not invest the money to achieve your desired asset allocation of your whole portfolio rather than generating taxable income?
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Regarding real estate, do you want a second job?
Topic Author
GuruSatu

Post by GuruSatu »

That's a good point about the second job... I understand that rental properties do require a lot of extra work, so I'm not sure if that is in the cards for me as I am a teacher.

What about REITs? Any experience with these?
jjj_22

Post by jjj_22 »

Is there a reason you care about “income” specifically rather than, say, just letting the investment grow over time?

If you’re working and can meet your expenses with your earned income, I would focus on investing for total return rather than income. Income is just a specific (taxable) kind of return.