Buying first house - Checklist

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
YererMeda

Buying first house - Checklist

Post by YererMeda »

Please help me create a checklist of things to do when buying a house for the first time. We signed a contract and are waiting for inspection.

- schedule inspection (whole house, termite radon and sewer scope)
- lock mortgage interest
- prepare all financial documents (checking, savings and investment account, tax returns, etc)
- find (inside wall) painters
- find movers
- paint house before moving (go neutral colors)
- set aside money for moving cost
- set aside money for more furniture to make wife happy, within reason
- set aside money for *things will start to break*
- find a handyman
- decide to take care of yard myself or outsource it (if the former buy seasonal equipment).
- same for house cleaning

What else?
Topic Author
YererMeda

Re: Buying first house - Checklist

Post by YererMeda »

I see homeowners insurance thread. So that is definitely a must.

What is a typical or good rate, as a percentage of home value or replacement value in the Midwest?
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

Change/rekey all locks.
Change garage door code (if applicable).
File Declaration of Homestead.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
Topic Author
YererMeda

Post by YererMeda »

7eight9 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:56 pm Change/rekey all locks.
Great, thanks.

What is "Declaration of Homestead"? Where do I file it? Bank or the city or somewhere else?
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Start to compile a To Do list of all the stuff you should fix or update, in a spreadsheet. Prioritize the tasks as you see fit.
Use a plug-in tester to check that all outlets are properly grounded. Note for repair any that aren't.
Check functionality of any smoke or other detectors. Replace batteries or update as needed.
Update light bulbs and possibly fixtures throughout the house, for energy savings and/or bad lighting quality.
Have a small portable toolbox with commonly needed items accessible for small repairs.
Map all of the circuit breakers to what switches and outlets they control, in a spreadsheet.
Check the gutters for debris, and clear it if needed.
Last edited by tooluser on Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
j9j

Post by j9j »

If there is enough posts and interest, maybe this thread can evolve into a wiki. Ever since the free fall threads have closed, the various housing threads have captured my attention.
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

YererMeda wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:06 pm
Great, thanks.

What is "Declaration of Homestead"? Where do I file it? Bank or the city or somewhere else?
Usually at the tax assessor office. It usually gives you a reduction on your property taxes, presuming that you qualify for it.
Most experiences are better imagined.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Great, thanks.

Do an internet search for homestead and your state name. It's a government thing that varies by state. Can lead to a small property tax exemption and/or some legal protection of assets. You can do it yourself with a short form to send in, no need to pay someone else, though you will likely get mailings soon from profiteers who will do that for you for a fee.
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

If you are buying a house with, um, imperfections that you thinking/planning to work on after the purchase - make a list now.

Use the inspection report to add to the list. If inspection says the HVAC is working but is 20 years old - you need to put new HVAC on your 5 year plan. Same with the roof - if it's a 20 year old roof that's in working order - you may need to put that on your future list. Same with water heater, appliances, any other systems the house has (water softner, whole house humidifier, sump pump and backup battery, fireplace care and maintenance,
swimming pool, hot tub, some other system the house has.

Be aware you will need to change the filters on your HVAC routinely, you will need to clean the lint filter on the dryer after every use, you may need to run a "clean cycle" on the washer periodically, you may need to replace a water filter in the fridge.

You can ask the current owner for any of the documentation for any of the stuff they have. It sucks when your new house has a yard sprinkler system with some complicated controls - and you don't have the owners manual. same for any "programable" what not the house has (lights? blinds? multiple thermastats, intercom, whole house stereo system, what ever.) or a fancy-smancy computer controlled shower that may not be all that intuitive or might have features you didn't know it has. If the seller has all the "owners manuals" you don't have to spend time finding that info online.

If the house has cathedral ceilings with light fixtures or fans up there - you may want to ask for all the remotes and and any extension poles the seller used to change bulbs or to dust....

Ask for all the remotes for all the systems for the house as well. yeah, you can replace them yourself - but that's just more work and annoyance you will have to deal with after moving - searching for replacements, getting them programmed, etc..
Topic Author
YererMeda

Post by YererMeda »

tooluser wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:13 pm
Great, thanks.

Do an internet search for homestead and your state name. It's a government thing that varies by state. Can lead to a small property tax exemption and/or some legal protection of assets. You can do it yourself with a short form to send in, no need to pay someone else, though you will likely get mailings soon from profiteers who will do that for you for a fee.
Random Poster wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:12 pm
Great, thanks.

Usually at the tax assessor office. It usually gives you a reduction on your property taxes, presuming that you qualify for it.
Thank you both. I will Google it.
ABQ4804

Post by ABQ4804 »

Strongly recommend tagging along on the inspection, and listening to inspector, what is standard condition for that age house, safety issues to fix right away, alternative solutions, how this house’s condition compares to others the same age. Yes, most of that is in the report, but we’ve gained a wealth of knowledge, prioritized and learned alternatives from inspectors (8 moves so far!). Hope this is helpful.
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

once you purchase the house - you will probably get solicitations to pay to get copies of the deed to your house or some other public domain document. You don't need to do this - you are paying for something you could do yourself (but you don't need to). You should have all the various documents (or stuff that shows proof that the documents have been filed) given to you at closing - some of them will be mailed to you as the documents are submitted/processed with your local government.

Take some time and go look for your County Assessor's office, County Recorder of Deeds, and your local City (if you are not in a city with 1 million other people) or Local whatever your area is called website.

And something else to pay attention to - what are the local laws/rules for trash pick up day - what day is it? what is recycleable and what is not? does the pickup include yard waste? Do you have buy "stickers" for each yard waste bag and/or trash bin you put out? Be a good neighbor - follow the rules. (otherwise a neighbor like me will collect up your trash that blew down the street and on to MY property because you put it out two days too early and return it to your front door or in a big pile in front of your garage - hope you have a back up camera. )

Pay attention to the rules for overnight street parking OR special "no parking times" on your street. You may need to buy "passes" to put in your guests' cars if they will be parking on the city street.

If you routinely park on the city street - you may need to buy resident "city stickers" for your vehicles - plan to do so.
You don't get to whine about the tickets you get for not following the rules.
Yeah, I'm a little bitter - I've had some very rude/clueless neighbors - usually renters. And I'm not "That Neighbor". Unless you leave your broken down car in front of my house for several weeks so I and my guests have to park several houses away - when there's an open spot you could have parked it in that wasn't in front of anyone's house. Or when I have to remove your trash more than 3 times from my property - after politely reminding you that trash pick up day is Thursday... and if you put your trash out at night and NO ONE ELSE has trash cans out - it's probably NOT trash nite.
Callisto

Post by Callisto »

Utilities, especially internet since that may require installation
Put out bait traps, especially if its an older house
Run power cables, ethernet, audio, etc behind walls before you paint
Watty

Post by Watty »

After you move in you will need to change addresses with all your financial accounts, insurance, etc. You will also need to change your car registration, drivers licences, etc. Don't forget to register to vote with your new address if that is not done when you do your drivers licences in your state. Places like your doctors offices and dentists will also need the new address. Your employers HR and payroll should also get your need address since that is where your tax forms will be sent to.

You may have places that you rarely get mail from like old pensions plans that should get your new address.

You will also want to let friends and relatives know your new address. If you send out Christmas cards plan on sending them out very early to let people know your new address so they can send their Christmas cards to your new address.

You can have the post office forward your mail but the mail forwarding is not very reliable so you can't depend on it.
Topic Author
YererMeda

Post by YererMeda »

Thank you everyone!

I plan to summarize the list (from all the responses) in the original post for ease of readability.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Do anything that is easy to do while the house is empty while the house is empty:

Paint
Sand/stain hardwood floors and or kitchen cabinets
Stain deck
Change light fixtures/electric outlets
Install sump pump or interior drain if necessary
Have windows cleaned inside and out

And of course, the most important thing,

Change toilet seats

If you’re currently renting you pay up front vs a mortgage which is paid in arrears. We stayed in our apartment for an additional month taking care of all these things without having a double payment month.
Mako

Post by Mako »

Jags4186 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:17 am Do anything that is easy to do while the house is empty while the house is empty:

Paint
Sand/stain hardwood floors and or kitchen cabinets
Stain deck
Change light fixtures/electric outlets
Install sump pump or interior drain if necessary
Have windows cleaned inside and out

And of course, the most important thing,

Change toilet seats

If you’re currently renting you pay up front vs a mortgage which is paid in arrears. We stayed in our apartment for an additional month taking care of all these things without having a double payment month.
This is good advice. My last home purchase I moved in a week before the wife and kids so I could paint, have all the carpets cleaned, get TV/internet installed, and do some minor electrical work. All much easier with no stuff and no young kids there. And lol at the toilet seats, yes, definitely. I also install at least one bidet right away, once I tried it I hate to go without.
Shackleton

Post by Shackleton »

Someone mentioned changing HVAC filters and dryer lint filters, but many people don’t realize that most modern dishwashers have a small filter at the bottom that should be cleaned regularly.

If applicable, check the water softener salt level (if it uses it) and make certain you have a few extra bags on hand.

If this is your first time being in a house, rather than an apartment, and you are in an area where it freezes, remember to disconnect any exterior hoses before the first frost.
“Superhuman effort isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results.” ~Ernest Shackleton
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Make sure there are accessible water shut-off valves and have new ones installed if needed.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
margered

Post by margered »

Turn off utilities of the place you are vacating. Read meters there and at the new house.