4 days in NY

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
av111

4 days in NY

Post by av111 »

Hello all

We (Family of 4 adults) are traveling to NY for a wedding in August.
Here is our plan so far
Day 1 morning : land in Buffalo spend some time on the US side of the Niagara Falls and then go to the Canadian side - - - how?

Day 1 night and Day 2 morning - Sheraton on the falls
What trips should we take?
Day 2 night - fly to Newark
Day 3 wedding
Day 3 night - stay at Times Square Sheraton
Day 4 morning - statute of liberty? What else
Day 4 evening flight home

Looking at the limited time we have can you please recommend some activities? Also recommended restaurants for vegetarians.. Is the hotel choice okay or should we get different ones
AV111
AnnetteLouisan

Re: 4 days in NY

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Top of the Rock is the observation deck at Rockefeller Center. Panoramic floor to ceiling city views in 4 directions and quick in and out, unlike Empire State and Statue of Liberty. Rock Center is also close to St Patrick’s Cathedral, dining (Peninsula hotel rooftop is good) and high end shopping, Central Park. Statue of Liberty is a long boat trip and crowded etc. count on a few hours. Circle line cruises are fun but loud. Top deck of a tour bus can be fun.
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uaeebs86

Post by uaeebs86 »

We are in Manhattan for a week right now.

Statue of Liberty / Ellis Island will take your whole morning if that's what you choose. (Maybe longer, we didn't spend a ton of time at either and it was 3-4 hours).

9/11 Memorial & Museum could be your afternoon that day. We also went up One World Tower when there.

We caught a Mets game one afternoon. (Yankees out of town all week). Did a pedicab through Central Park today- that's 1 to 1.5 hours.

Been to the Met previously. Going to check out MoMA or Museum of Natural History tomorrow.

Hop on hop off bus was disappointing.
Last edited by uaeebs86 on Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:36 am, edited 6 times in total.
"Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out." ― John Wooden
ag1

Post by ag1 »

The museums in NYC are quite amazing - depending on your interest there is the MET, MOMA, American museum of Natural history, Whitney, Guggenheim and many others. I also enjoy visiting the Intrepid - retired aircraft carrier which now has the space shuttle on display. There are many pure vegetarian restaurants - yelp or google might be better for those unless you have specific cuisines in mind.

AG
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

ag1 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:23 pm The museums in NYC are quite amazing - depending on your interest there is the MET, MOMA, American museum of Natural history, Whitney, Guggenheim and many others. I also enjoy visiting the Intrepid - retired aircraft carrier which now has the space shuttle on display. There are many pure vegetarian restaurants - yelp or google might be better for those unless you have specific cuisines in mind.

AG
The only reason NOT to go to the Met is because you have already been there too many times.

Don't forget about the Cloisters.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Op

I recommend Caravan of Dreams in the east village

405 East 6th Street
East Village, NY 10009

https://caravanofdreams.net/
Topic Author
av111

Post by av111 »

Thanks for the suggestions near the times Square. Statute of liberty appears to be too long. Mets and Rockefeller seem interesting and doable. We really have like 8 am to 5 pm. Flight from EWR leaves at 8 pm
AV111
inverter

Post by inverter »

Do you have to stay in Times Square? Is that where the wedding party is?

Also, Buffalo -> Newark is a lot!
brian91480

Post by brian91480 »

I'm from NYC, don't live there anymore, but still visit a decent amount.

9/11 Memorial is tough, but worth going. At least it was tough for me, but I'm glad that I went.

It sounds cliche, but don't be afraid to see a Broadway Show. I've seen several... they usually do not disappoint.

There's a few good comedy clubs you can pick from. I've had all good experiences, none specifically jump out as being way better than others.

-- Brian
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

av111 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:04 pm Thanks for the suggestions near the times Square. Statute of liberty appears to be too long. Mets and Rockefeller seem interesting and doable. We really have like 8 am to 5 pm. Flight from EWR leaves at 8 pm
Statue of Liberty is too long if you go to the island and climb the statue. The other way to do it is take the Staten Island ferry round trip but don’t get off on Staten Island. That way you get to see the statue from the boat twice but you don’t go to the island it’s on. That’s a great view. And the ferry is free.
Topic Author
av111

Post by av111 »

inverter wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:05 pm Do you have to stay in Times Square? Is that where the wedding party is?

Wedding is at Newark. We wanted to stay near the times Square to go bar hopping so thought hotel in the area would be better.

Buf to EWR is 90 min.
AV111
bsteiner

Post by bsteiner »

av111 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:45 pm ...
Day 1 morning : land in Buffalo spend some time on the US side of the Niagara Falls and then go to the Canadian side - - - how?
Day 3 wedding

Looking at the limited time we have can you please recommend some activities? Also recommended restaurants for vegetarians.. Is the hotel choice okay or should we get different ones
Rental car is probably easiest. There are also trains and buses from Buffalo but they're probably not very frequent. Once when I was living in Buffalo I went over the Peace Bridge on a bicycle.

If you get to Buffalo early enough in the day you could go to Toronto which is about 2 hours from Buffalo.

Or skip Buffalo and spend more time in NYC.
Topic Author
av111

Post by av111 »

bsteiner wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:48 pm
av111 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:45 pm ...
Day 3 wedding

Rental car is probably easiest. There are also trains and buses from Buffalo but they're probably not very frequent. Once when I was living in Buffalo I went over the Peace Bridge on a bicycle.

If you get to Buffalo early enough in the day you could go to Toronto which is about 2 hours from Buffalo.

Or skip Buffalo and spend more time in NYC.
Want to see Niagara so Buffalo is necessary
AV111
Topic Author
av111

Post by av111 »

bsteiner wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:48 pm Rental car is probably easiest.
Thanks.. Was thinking of Uber but will check
AV111
bsteiner

Post by bsteiner »

av111 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:56 pm
That depends on how much traveling you plan to do. Car rentals are much higher now than they used to be. A quick look shows close to $200 for morning on day 1 to evening on day 2. You can get Uber estimates here: https://www.uber.com/global/en/price-estimate/.
letahl

Post by letahl »

Duplicate
Last edited by letahl on Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
letahl

Post by letahl »

We just did a day in NYC but had young kids. Still, we enjoyed the empire state building quite a bit the new exhibits were great, ate take out pizza in Bryant park while they had a free summer concert, went to Central Park, played chess there, did the carousel, did dinner at serendipity, visited fao Schwartz. It was a very full 30 hours. Lots of walking. We just did the 86th floor at empire, I've heard the extra floors to top aren't all that worth it. I tried to make statue of liberty work but I just couldn't from midtown and with the spots available. Will do it next trip. Maybe the kids will be old enough to eat Ethiopian food by then which I can't get where I live but miss. Hey they have great vegetarian you should do it in my honor. 😜
smatter

Post by smatter »

Going back and forth over the border couldn’t be easier.

We just did it tonight for dinner.

ArriveCAN app you need to do this before you can cross, it only takes a few mins to upload your passport and Covid vaccination info.

I don’t think Uber will get you across the border? I don’t recommend walk your bags across the peace bridge… but I guess it could work.
letahl

Post by letahl »

If I stayed in a hotel at Times Square I'd stay at Margaritaville. But I've got a hokey kind of love for Jimmy Buffet. We stayed in an Airbnb by Empire state building. It was a way cheaper alternative than the two hotel rooms we would have had to get otherwise for our large party, and there was a kitchen.
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

av111 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:23 pm
inverter wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:05 pm Do you have to stay in Times Square? Is that where the wedding party is?

Wedding is at Newark. We wanted to stay near the times Square to go bar hopping so thought hotel in the area would be better.

Buf to EWR is 90 min.
Do not stay in Times Square for one night to go bar hopping. Why would that be a good idea?

at least look up:
Williamsburg, lower east side, east village, west village, chelsea, other downtown neighborhoods etc. it would certainly be better than Times Square for “bar hopping”, depending on what you mean by that. What age group? Cocktails, dive bars?

For not-bar things to do, I’d check out Central Park in the morning after brunch somewhere, just walk around and hang out. People also like waking between Korea town by Empire State Building down broadway to madison square park, by flatiron building, stopping at Eataly, union square green market

Some vegetarian options:
Planta
Ruffian
abcV
Crom laughs at your Four Winds
Caligal

Post by Caligal »

I would plan to stay somewhere closer to Greenwich Village or the East Village for bars. Times Square area is super busy, super touristy.

Not much time in NYC so I would just pick a direction and start walking! Especially if the weather is cooperative. If not, plan a day seeing a museum or two, or the World Trade Center memorial. Walk around the financial district and over the Brooklyn Bridge. Walk back up to Chelsea. Take a cab uptown and walk around Central Park. Just keep walking! It's an amazing city. Have a nice trip!
Topic Author
av111

Post by av111 »

All great ideas and I am sure we will take some time to view few things that people want.

ArriveCAN app is a great idea. Any ideas on where to stay at Niagara and must do experiences there? We are going to be there for close to 36 hours
AV111
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

If you want to spend a little time outside walking, check out the High Line on the West Side.

https://www.thehighline.org/
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

A good resource of what to do (today, this week, in the next week, etc.) is TimeOutNY
https://www.timeout.com/newyork

This lists both major evnues (Met, Moma, etc) plus lesser known off broadway, etc.
Worth a look.

For tickets TKTS is a good resource for off price both Bway and off Bway,
Beachey

Post by Beachey »

av111 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:56 pm
You are planning on Uber from BUF Airport to Niagara Falls, NY? I second you might be better off renting a Car though make sure the rental agreement allows you to go to Canada. It might not even be possible to Uber from the New York Side to the Canadian Side of Niagara Falls. There are also specific COVID vaccination requirements for entering Canada. Plus you are going to need a Passport/Passport Card/EDL for everyone.
swaption

Post by swaption »

Caligal wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:41 pm I would plan to stay somewhere closer to Greenwich Village or the East Village for bars. Times Square area is super busy, super touristy.

Not much time in NYC so I would just pick a direction and start walking! Especially if the weather is cooperative. If not, plan a day seeing a museum or two, or the World Trade Center memorial. Walk around the financial district and over the Brooklyn Bridge. Walk back up to Chelsea. Take a cab uptown and walk around Central Park. Just keep walking! It's an amazing city. Have a nice trip!
This, something close to Holland Tunnel will also be the quickest trip to Newark airport, as close to the tunnel as possible would be best to minimize city traffic. I would not consider this a trip to NYC, more like a taste of NYC. Also, if you want bars, West Village, Tribeca, and Meat Packing District much better than midtown. Downtown you've got Freedom Tower, China Town, etc. You could also get on a subway and pretty quickly get to Columbus Circle, check out Central Park, The Plaza, etc.
KneeReplacementTutor

Post by KneeReplacementTutor »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:12 pm Top of the Rock is the observation deck at Rockefeller Center. Panoramic floor to ceiling city views in 4 directions and quick in and out, unlike Empire State and Statue of Liberty.
+1. Incredible view.
Bbddl

Post by Bbddl »

We live 30 mins from the city and visit frequently . You don’t have anywhere near enough time to see/do much.
Definitely do not get a rental car. Yellow cabs are all over. Uber doesn’t always work that well.
Times sq is a huge money grab and packed.
We like some of the smaller boutique hotels in specific areas. The financial district is probably our favorite. We stayed there and visited many of the locations from the Broadway show Hamilton. Try the app “Hotel Tonight”
Stay far away from the chain restaurants. Little Italy and Chinatown are close enough to the Financial District.
It’s overwhelming, stay calm and enjoy.
niagara_guy

Post by niagara_guy »

Are you renting a car at Buffalo Airport? I will give you more specific advice when I know if you have a car or not.

Here is a web page that talks about entering Canada and covid restrictions:

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services/co ... u-eng.html
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:14 pm Statue of Liberty is too long if you go to the island and climb the statue. The other way to do it is take the Staten Island ferry round trip but don’t get off on Staten Island. That way you get to see the statue from the boat twice but you don’t go to the island it’s on. That’s a great view. And the ferry is free.
I've done this. Great tip! Another option is to just head down to the Battery and see the SOL from there. You're not nearly as close, but at least you can say you've seen it.
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

swaption wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:49 am
Caligal wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:41 pm I would plan to stay somewhere closer to Greenwich Village or the East Village for bars. Times Square area is super busy, super touristy. ...
This, something close to Holland Tunnel will also be the quickest trip to Newark airport, as close to the tunnel as possible would be best to minimize city traffic. I would not consider this a trip to NYC, more like a taste of NYC. Also, if you want bars, West Village, Tribeca, and Meat Packing District much better than midtown. ...
Agreed. Although if this is the OP's first time to NYC, then Midtown makes sense. You can walk around, see Rockefeller Plaza, Radio City Music Hall, Carnegie, and all the other theaters, Grand Central Station, Empire State Building, check out the southern end of Central Park, etc. All the touristy but deservedly famous stuff, and he next time the OP sees one of these sites on TV or in a movie, they can remember being there. I mean, that's why the area is touristy--it's great for tourists! Nothing wrong with that.

But if the OP has already checked all that stuff off during prior visits, picking a different neighborhood and exploring that one area is the way to go, especially given the short amount of time. And the Village is pretty tough to beat. We were just there in April--got an Air B&B right off Bleeker. It was great!
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

Regarding Buffalo:

If fine dining and good steaks interest you, check out Buffalo Chophouse, Hutch's, or Oliver's when you're there.

For chicken wings, Duffs > Anchor Bar but they're both overpriced now for what they are.

Free open-air Shakespeare shows in Delaware Park during the summer.

Many free concerts and events, check the local newspapers.

There's a Pierce Arrow car museum in Buffalo if you like old automobiles. You can see an old tank and helicopter at the Wheatfield town hall. For a walk through nature, try Tifft Nature Preserve.

Regarding going to the Canadian side of the falls during COVID, that's become harder and I don't know where the current rules stand. I'd skip it unless you're prepared to go through all that.
43% Total Stock Market | 53% Consumer Staples | 4% Short Term Reserves
Topic Author
av111

Post by av111 »

niagara_guy wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:53 pm Are you renting a car at Buffalo Airport? I will give you more specific advice when I know if you have a car or not.

Here is a web page that talks about entering Canada and covid restrictions:

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services/co ... u-eng.html
I did check the rental cars .. seem to be available. 2 days is close to $250. Rental car appears to be the best bet

I will do the ArriveCan this weekend
AV111
Topic Author
av111

Post by av111 »

JupiterJones wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:45 pm
swaption wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:49 am
Caligal wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:41 pm I would plan to stay somewhere closer to Greenwich Village or the East Village for bars. Times Square area is super busy, super touristy. ...
This, something close to Holland Tunnel will also be the quickest trip to Newark airport, as close to the tunnel as possible would be best to minimize city traffic. I would not consider this a trip to NYC, more like a taste of NYC. Also, if you want bars, West Village, Tribeca, and Meat Packing District much better than midtown. ...
Agreed. Although if this is the OP's first time to NYC, then Midtown makes sense. You can walk around, see Rockefeller Plaza, Radio City Music Hall, Carnegie, and all the other theaters, Grand Central Station, Empire State Building, check out the southern end of Central Park, etc. All the touristy but deservedly famous stuff, and he next time the OP sees one of these sites on TV or in a movie, they can remember being there. I mean, that's why the area is touristy--it's great for tourists! Nothing wrong with that.

But if the OP has already checked all that stuff off during prior visits, picking a different neighborhood and exploring that one area is the way to go, especially given the short amount of time. And the Village is pretty tough to beat. We were just there in April--got an Air B&B right off Bleeker. It was great!
It is the first time for two of us. Other two have spent been to NY maybe 15 years ago. So touristy stuff appears attractive.
AV111
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

I would still advise avoiding Times Square proper. Find a hotel a little east or west or north or south. And go to bars that are not in Times Square. You will have a much better time, unless you really are seeking Ruby Tuesdays and an overpriced Irish bar or two.

It’s fun to walk around Times Square and be like “cool I’m in Times Square”, but there is just so much else that will be fun elsewhere, that it would be a shame to only see Times Square
Crom laughs at your Four Winds
winterfan

Post by winterfan »

Caligal wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:41 pm I would plan to stay somewhere closer to Greenwich Village or the East Village for bars. Times Square area is super busy, super touristy.

I had a business trip in NYC a while ago and this is what I did. It was so much fun. I was staying in midtown and took the subway to lower Manhattan and just walked around. I loved just walking around, doing a little shopping and people watching.
niagara_guy

Post by niagara_guy »

I sent you two PMs about Niagara.
Topic Author
av111

Post by av111 »

niagara_guy wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:13 pm I sent you two PMs about Niagara.
Thanks for the detailed advice
AV111
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Times Square is my least favorite part of NYC. Huge crowds of tourists and not much of interest....if you want to see the lights, fine...ten minutes and then you will probably want to leave.
I would advise staying somewhere else....consider lower Manhattan. There are ferries that go up and down from there, very inexpensive and you can get off at multiple points of interest in Manhattan and Brooklyn, plus get a great view of the Statue of Liberty at night.
Listen to Johnny T. He knows what he is talkin' about:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6xd6YvoHLM
And this guy has some good advice too, even though he is not so funny:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-rmYlrQ2RM
folkher0

Post by folkher0 »

Don't rent a car in NYC. Its unnecessary. You will hate it. And pay through the nose just to park it. You can take a train from Newark to Penn Station on W 34th st. and cab or subway from there.

Stay wherever you want, but if you don't have kids, and you only have one night, I would probably stay downtown. Times Square is fun for little kids for a little bit, but for adults its just like a big Applebees. Midtown is fine, but if you want to check out bars, its not the best.

If you really want to visit the Statue of Liberty it is likely going to be the only significant thing you are going to do between 8 am and 5pm. Honestly how you spend one day in NYC will depend on your interests: Food? Art? Music? Books? Sports? Dance? Theater?

Be aware that if you try to find a sit down restaurant for lunch on the weekend you could end up waiting an hour for a table and get wicked sticker shock.

Honestly If you need to see the statue I would just check it out from battery park, maybe take the Staten island ferry for a round trip to see the statue up close. Then you can can maybe see ground zero if you are inclined. I haven't seen the memorial but I've heard it is very moving. You can see the "bull" on wall street and take a selfie with it if you'd like.

Get a bagel or breakfast sandwich for breakfast. Maybe a slice of pizza for lunch. Almost any place will do though snobs will tell you there are like 5 places in the city you "have" to go to for pizza.

If you're around the village the Strand Bookstore is fun for readers. Whitney museum is in the village too but I've never been. The lower east side has a tenement museum which I visited when I was a kid and left an impression. Washington square park always has some characters to watch. You like chess? You might pick up a game with a local.

Other than that, walk around and see what you find. Walk on the right side of the side walk, pay attention to traffic lights and bike lanes.
CitiBike is another option if you want to get farther, just be mindful that you will share the bike lanes with commuters and delivery people on ebikes zipping at 20 MPH. It might stress you out.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

If the wedding is in Newark, I would skip Niagara Falls, and just go straight to the city. Niagara Falls is just a tourist trap with a waterfall. New York City is worth way more than one night.

I would go to Ellis Island, rather than the Statue of Liberty. Much more interesting. And you see the Statue of Liberty from the water going to Ellis Island.

If you want to go to Times Square, go to the TKTS booth and get tickets to a show.
vineviz

Post by vineviz »

protagonist wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:10 pm Times Square is my least favorite part of NYC. Huge crowds of tourists and not much of interest....if you want to see the lights, fine...ten minutes and then you will probably want to leave.
Agreed.

It's like an expensive, crowded version of the mall that every other city has. First time visitors might want to walk through it once, but I wouldn't spend time there unless you're seeing a show or shopping for comics. Definitely wouldn't get a hotel near there if I could avoid it.
"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." ~~ Peter Lynch
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

vineviz wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:52 am
protagonist wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:10 pm Times Square is my least favorite part of NYC. Huge crowds of tourists and not much of interest....if you want to see the lights, fine...ten minutes and then you will probably want to leave.
Agreed.

It's like an expensive, crowded version of the mall that every other city has. First time visitors might want to walk through it once, but I wouldn't spend time there unless you're seeing a show or shopping for comics. Definitely wouldn't get a hotel near there if I could avoid it.
Yes, and lots of major chain restaurants and stores that you can find anywhere (they are the only ones that can afford the real estate). I live in NYC about a third of the time since my wife lives in Harlem. I also grew up in NYC. I don't know any native New Yorker who doesn't hate Times Square.
As for the hotels there, they tend to be far more expensive than in other locations because that is where tourists want to be. And the Times Square subway station is a nightmare in the best of circumstances. I think the OP would have a much better experience staying elsewhere. They can see Times Square (every tourist wants to do that after all), but they won't have to live there.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

quantAndHold wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:47 am If the wedding is in Newark, I would skip Niagara Falls, and just go straight to the city. Niagara Falls is just a tourist trap with a waterfall. New York City is worth way more than one night.

I would go to Ellis Island, rather than the Statue of Liberty. Much more interesting. And you see the Statue of Liberty from the water going to Ellis Island.

If you want to go to Times Square, go to the TKTS booth and get tickets to a show.
Good advice.
Niagara Falls is an icon, but mainly because of its past glory, and there are lots of beautiful secluded waterfalls all over the Northeast that probably provide a better experience.

New York City is impossible to adequately experience in a day....just a lot of exhausting running around, especially if you don't know the city.
And if you don't, I would humbly suggest skipping all the major tourist attractions (huge lines this time of year and, frankly, not incredibly interesting)....instead just walk around an interesting neighborhood, experience the local cuisine, maybe go to a show (theater, music, art, dance, whatever interests you) or a museum...Maybe a concert at Summerstage or Shakespeare in Central Park... I think you will go home feeling much more rewarded.
If you want to see the Statue of Liberty, there is a very cheap ferry that goes from lower Manhattan to Red Hook, Brooklyn (a cool community with good seafood on the water, galleries, city views, key lime pie, etc) and at night you will get gorgeous views of the statue and lower Manhattan from the ferry. Just one of many possible suggestions.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:14 pm [...]
Statue of Liberty is too long if you go to the island and climb the statue. The other way to do it is take the Staten Island ferry round trip but don’t get off on Staten Island. That way you get to see the statue from the boat twice but you don’t go to the island it’s on. That’s a great view. And the ferry is free.
I thought that you need to reserve this way in advance!

I wonder if OP can do all that and catch the flight from EWR at 8. Unless the flight is not leaving at 8, they just need to be there by 8.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

protagonist wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:11 am [...]
Niagara Falls is an icon, but mainly because of its past glory, and there are lots of beautiful secluded waterfalls all over the Northeast that probably provide a better experience.
[...]
Please share some examples.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

an_asker wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:18 am
protagonist wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:11 am [...]
[...]
Please share some examples.
I know the local ones around where I live in New England best, not the ones in New York State. Many also offer the opportunity to swim on a hot summer day. Other people here would be a better resource. But a friend just returned from hiking in Watkins Glen and loved it. https://familyadventuresinnewyorkstate. ... ork-state/

That said, it would probably require a car and a bit more time than OP will have.
Here is a website I just found with some info about waterfalls around (and in) NYC:
https://secretnyc.co/best-waterfalls-near-nyc/ They mention the Ravine in Central Park (ok, it's nowhere near as big as Niagara), which I can confirm is a great place to walk around on a sweltering hot day in NYC to escape the hustle and bustle. (That said, I think it is funny that people come from beautiful countryside where they live to NYC and spend their time in Central Park *laughing*). Central Park is a magnificent park, and in the summer it is packed with street musicians, acrobats, and other forms of entertainment.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

As noted above, NYC is too much to encapsulate in one day. One option, which we did, was to take the subway up to 125th and walk all the way down to The Battery. Its about a three hour walk.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
BarbBrooklyn

Post by BarbBrooklyn »

If the weather is nice, get on the TKTS line at 47/Broadway and get tickets to a show. The Play That Goes Wrong is hysterical, Come From Away is touching and funny--they are often up on the board.
BarbBrooklyn | "The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Consider taking the Circle Line cruise. They have a variety of options:

https://www.circleline.com/sightseeing- ... yYQAvD_BwE