TreasuryDirect Support Problems

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
marco1910

TreasuryDirect Support Problems

Post by marco1910 »

Hi,

It seems that TreasuryDirect support is totally overwhelmed. I can't get help either by phone or email. I've tried both and they both respond back that basically, we are too busy to talk to you.

My problem is that I gifted iBonds on 8/1 and there is a 5-business-day holding period. Well, its now 8/10 and I still get this message and can't gift these bonds. When I call on the phone, I get a message that there are too many people on hold and they are not taking any new calls. When I email, I get a message that no email will be responded to without a case number. I have no idea where to create a case number

Any guidance greatly appreciated.

Marco.
fabdog

Re: TreasuryDirect Support Problems

Post by fabdog »

Use the search box to see many threads on this issue. Yes, they are overwhelmed. The nice rates in the last 2 six month period meant many folks who had never heard of IBonds were now all rushing to get accounts set up.

The TD infrastructure is poor, and many folks have needed help.

Try calling first thing to at least get in the queue

Mike
LookinAround

Post by LookinAround »

I had to call a couple months back. I was on hold for 2h 50m. So when you get into the queue also be prepared for the long wait.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

If you entered the purchase on 8/1, the funds are usually not pulled by TD until the next business day. Were the funds for the purchase actually pulled by TD on 8/1? Did the funds actually leave the sending account on 8/1?

Given the TD wait times (unless the need to gift is urgent), consider waiting another week before calling to see if the issue resolves itself.