Things to do in Nashville

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
h82goslw

Things to do in Nashville

Post by h82goslw »

Headed to Nashville in late fall. Any suggestions on must see things to do? There for 4 days. (FYI I am not a country music fan but can appreciate the history of the city)
22twain

Re: Things to do in Nashville

Post by 22twain »

First thing that comes to my mind is the Hermitage, Andrew Jackson's home, a short distance to the east if you have a car.
Meet my pet, Peeve, who loves to convert non-acronyms into acronyms: FED, ROTH, CASH, IVY, ...
psteinx

Post by psteinx »

We spent a ~day in Nashville recently on a college tour (Vanderbilt).

Vanderbilt itself was nice, but probably not worthy of a visit unless you have other considerations (i.e. a prospective student).

There was a great, quite hot, fried chicken place (Hattie B's?) by Vanderbilt (though I think it has other locations).

They have a park across from Vanderbilt with a replica of the Parthenon. It was, frankly, pretty "meh"...

We drove through (didn't really have time/energy to hang out) the club district of downtown Nashville, and THAT seemed interesting, albeit country-flavored, of course.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

The Gaylord Opryland Resort Hotel is worth walking through:

https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotels/b ... er/photos/
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

psteinx wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:53 pm
There was a great, quite hot, fried chicken place (Hattie B's?) by Vanderbilt (though I think it has other locations).
HA
Prince's on the north side for sure, if you have the guts to visit that place and not freak out.
The Chicken is fantastic.

Consider a day trip to Mammoth Cave.
khangaroo

Post by khangaroo »

Check out the Assembly Food Hall!! All the restaurants there were amazing and to the true Nashville vibe they had live music while we ate lunch. We went there 3 times while hanging out in Nashville to try as many food places as we could.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

If you're a vintage guitar fan, Gruhn's guitars. George is legendary in the vintage world.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
GibsonL6s

Post by GibsonL6s »

If you are into music, the bars on Broadway are fun. Robert's Western Wear or Tootsies usually have great bands, there is the Ryman and a few music museums. Also Loveless Cafe is supposed to be great.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

GibsonL6s wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:36 pm If you are into music, the bars on Broadway are fun. Robert's Western Wear or Tootsies usually have great bands, there is the Ryman and a few music museums. Also Loveless Cafe is supposed to be great.
Have not been to Loveless Cafe in several years, but the breakfast used to be awesome.

Tootsie's is a fun place to sit and have a beer or two and people watch on lower Broadway. And possibly catch some really good music.

Check the schedule at the Bluebird Cafe to see if you can catch a good songwriter or two in a less crowded setting. Will probably need tix in advance. There are also other venues around town where you could do similar, but the Bluebird is the gold standard.
Topic Author
h82goslw

Post by h82goslw »

Thanks all. You’ve given me some great ideas!
T4fun

Post by T4fun »

The country music hall of fame is worth a visit if your a music fan. You don't have to be a country music fan to enjoy the museum in my opinion.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

Nashvillian here. Consider getting a "Total Access Pass", which includes admission to several attractions for one flat price--you pick six from a list of 30 or so possibilities.

Some specific suggestions, off the top of my head...

Art Museums, if that's up your alley
  • The Frist (the top choice if you can go to only one art museum... worth a visit for the Art Deco building itself)
  • Cheekwood
  • The Parthenon
Other Museums
  • Country Music Hall of Fame -- Top choice if you can go to only one non-art museum -- definitely get the add-on Studio B tour
  • Musicians' Hall of Fame -- Some great "artifacts" here (not just country music)
  • Lane Motor Museum
  • I haven't been to the new Museum of African American Music yet, but I hear good things about it
  • If you're willing to drive an hour-and-a-half up I-65, there's the Corvette Museum in KY
Music, Food, etc.
  • Any good "Meat and Three", with Arnold's being the front-runner if you can get in. While not technically meat-and-threes, Monell's and Loveless are southern food classics.
  • Opryland Hotel -- worth walking around, also the adjacent mall (with a fun German beer hall in it)
  • I guess you should have Hot Chicken while you're here just to say you did?
  • If you're able to travel to the outskirts for a distillery tour, I would rate George Dickel over the far more popular Jack Daniels (both the tour and, honestly, the product)
The various "plantation" sites like Belle Meade Mansion, Belmont Mansion, and the Hermitage are interesting, but personally not "must visits" in my book unless you're a huge history buff.

Plenty of music around, of course, including a pretty good jazz and classical scene. And "country" beyond modern mainstream country, such as Western Swing and bluegrass. Happy to give further recs there if you're interested!
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
manuvns

Post by manuvns »

Downton nashville , music and food and "The Parthenon"
Thanks!
Agent 99

Post by Agent 99 »

It should cool off by the time of your visit. Interesting outdoor activity:

https://wayfaringviews.com/nashville-murals-guide/
SheReadsHere719

Post by SheReadsHere719 »

T4fun wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:22 am The country music hall of fame is worth a visit if your a music fan. You don't have to be a country music fan to enjoy the museum in my opinion.
+1, an enjoyable museum! A few other highlights:

*Tour of the State Capitol building
*Nelson's Green Brier Distillery + tour (get the Louisa's coffee liqueur)
*Any of the restaurants in The Gulch
audioengr

Post by audioengr »

What about a food tour?

I heard about this on a podcast the other day.
My wife and I are planning on doing this on our next visit to Nashville.
Fun way to see a city and support local small businesses.

Plus their site has other Nashville visiting ideas.

https://www.alittlelocalflavor.com/
nosivol

Post by nosivol »

If you do go to the assembly food hall, download the app and order from your phone. You can order from multiple places with one order and they will text you when it is ready. Much better then being in line. Edit: I can't find the app on my phone so it may have been a QR code that leads to a web interface on one of the signs in the food hall.

The original Princes on the north side burned down, but the one in the food hall is close.
MJS

Post by MJS »

About 12 miles away: Try Radnor Lake State Park for a pleasant walk around the lake, or an extended hike over the hills. Good way to see a Southeastern Deciduous Forest. Note that Radnor Lake requests that visitors not bring food into the park because it will "interfere with wildlife observation and upset the delicate balance of the sensitive ecosystem."

Therefore, get lunch at Little Gourmand before or after.
Ipsa scientia potestas est. Bacon F.
Wricha

Post by Wricha »

Tour: Rymen Auditorium (Almost any musician you can think of has preformed here)

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... S1RRNB1O9S
TSR

Post by TSR »

I'm a Nashville native and agree with JupiterJones's suggestions up-thread. I'd highlight the Lane Motor Museum -- I'm not a "car guy," but that place is pretty incredible if you are interested in design and modernism as well. He's got a really off-the-wall sense of aesthetic, and his vehicles reflect that. It's truly an unusual experience and a very worthwhile one, definitely not just "here are some rare cars."

The Ryman tour is pretty good, but I would also suggest just going ahead and buying tickets to a show at the Ryman while you are there. If you give specific dates I'd be happy to suggest a show. The general rule for purchasing tickets is that you want to be anywhere in the middle four sections of the balcony or anywhere in the first, say, 12 rows on ground floor. You can google "what are good seats at the Ryman" if you want as well. Depending on the show, the good seats may be sold but you could probably find one or two on stubhub for not quite outrageous prices. Truly a great place to see a concert.

But Frist, Country Music Hall of Fame, and Cheekwood (both the gardens and the museum inside the mansion) are all great. Much as I hate to say it, you should probably also spend a few nights on lower Broadway too, just for the crazy experience. Roberts is the best bar if you appreciate classic country. If you are a restaurant fan let us know -- that's a whole separate discussion.

Have fun!
loukycpa

Post by loukycpa »

The Listening Room for live music.
"The safe assumption for an investor is that over the next hundred years, the currency is going to zero." - Charlie Munger
BrooklynInvest

Post by BrooklynInvest »

Been 20-30 times - wife born and raised there.

Love: Honkeytonks when they're NOT crowded. 15 years ago I would have said Tootsie's for the nostalgia but too late. Country Music Hall of Fame, Hatch Show Print (now in the same building as CHOF), Cheekwood if you're taking a drive. Hermitage Hotel, the bar at the Hermitage Hotel, the men's room at the bar at the Hermitage Hotel (seriously.) Stacey Mitchhart at Bourbon Street on Printers Alley.

Meh: Honkeytonks when they ARE crowded. Loveless Cafe - too popular for its own good.

So many good restaurants it's hard to start. Downtown I guess you gotta experience but we haven't been in years. You'll have a great time!
Chicken lady

Post by Chicken lady »

There are many thngs to do in the Nashville area. Aside from the suggestions made thus far - I would help if you can tell us what type activities you enjoy. Less shotgun and more focussed suggestions.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

BrooklynInvest wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:03 pm Hermitage Hotel, the bar at the Hermitage Hotel, the men's room at the bar at the Hermitage Hotel (seriously.)
Ah yes, I should've remembered to put these on my earlier list. Definitely the place to go for a drink downtown when you're sick of honky tonks, and you can enjoy that drink in the wonderfully old-school bar downstairs or take it up to the lobby to relax.

(And it is not uncommon for women to check out the award-winning men's room there. After sending in a male "scout" to make sure the coast is clear of course!)

Edited to add: Apparently they've done a lot of remodeling downstairs and have replaced the venerable Capitol Grille restaurant with a new concept. Not sure if the old bar survived. But it looks like the men's room its still there at least. :D
Last edited by JupiterJones on Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
rob

Post by rob »

22twain wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:48 pm First thing that comes to my mind is the Hermitage, Andrew Jackson's home, a short distance to the east if you have a car.
We just grabbed an uber and was not too much... well worth the effort.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
WingsFan4Life

Post by WingsFan4Life »

There's a cool arcade bar I believe on 2nd or 3rd right off Broadway. They don't play country :D
BrooklynInvest

Post by BrooklynInvest »

JupiterJones wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:33 am
BrooklynInvest wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:03 pm Hermitage Hotel, the bar at the Hermitage Hotel, the men's room at the bar at the Hermitage Hotel (seriously.)
Ah yes, I should've remembered to put these on my earlier list. Definitely the place to go for a drink downtown when you're sick of honky tonks, and you can enjoy that drink in the wonderfully old-school bar downstairs or take it up to the lobby to relax.

(And it is not uncommon for women to check out the award-winning men's room there. After sending in a male "scout" to make sure the coast is clear of course!)

Edited to add: Apparently they've done a lot of remodeling downstairs and have replaced the venerable Capitol Grille restaurant with a new concept. Not sure if the old bar survived. But it looks like the men's room its still there at least. :D
Oh wow, you're RIGHT! What did they do???

I mean each to their own. The bar looks nice in the photos I suppose but I guess "Old Nashville" is a thing of the past. Ernest Tubbs' record store closed recently. That would have been one of my recommendations last year.
WingsFan4Life

Post by WingsFan4Life »

tenkuky wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:24 pm
HA
Prince's on the north side for sure, if you have the guts to visit that place and not freak out.

I don't think that location exists anymore.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

WingsFan4Life wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:54 pm
HA

Mammoth Cave? No, I think it's still there. :D
WingsFan4Life

Post by WingsFan4Life »

JupiterJones wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:49 pm
WingsFan4Life wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:54 pm
HA

Mammoth Cave? No, I think it's still there. :D
Prince's on the north side! 8-)