New fee for Vanguard mutual [and brokerage accounts - July 2023 updates]

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Nate79

Re: New fee for Vanguard mutual accounts

Post by Nate79 »

ee_guy wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:57 pm A family member received today in the mail, the semiannual report for Vanguard 500 Index fund. In the summary prospectus:

"Account Service Fee Per Year (for certain fund account balances below $10,000) $20
Here is the online copy https://www.vanguard.com/pub/Pdf/p040.pdf

A well thought plan for implementing the fees would be to update all the prospectus and give adequate time for those not reading BH. A well thought out plan would include exceptions in addition to having $1M. This appears to be another example announcing a major shift and potentially walking it back or taking tremendous criticism. The target fund fiasco comes to mind. For Vanguard employees, it was the elimination of retirement benefits.
What exceptions would you propose that are non discrimitory?
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

ee_guy wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:57 pm A family member received today in the mail, the semiannual report for Vanguard 500 Index fund. In the summary prospectus:

"Account Service Fee Per Year (for certain fund account balances below $10,000) $20

A well thought plan for implementing the fees would be to update all the prospectus and give adequate time for those not reading BH. A well thought out plan would include exceptions in addition to having $1M. This appears to be another example announcing a major shift and potentially walking it back or taking tremendous criticism. The target fund fiasco comes to mind. For Vanguard employees, it was the elimination of retirement benefits.
That is a prospectus dated April 29th, 2022. Published 4 months before the fee change was announced.

What exceptions are you thinking of? They want people off the mutual fund platform, maybe $1M is the exception.
ee_guy

Post by ee_guy »

retiringwhen wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:27 pm

That is a prospectus dated April 29th, 2022. Published 4 months before the fee change was announced.

What exceptions are you thinking of? They want people off the mutual fund platform, maybe $1M is the exception.
While the prospectus is dated 4/29/2022, the expectation is that if it is received in the mail today, it is current.

Exceptions could be age and length of time with the mutual fund. Some banks waive fees for seniors. I haven't heard of companies being sue because seniors get a discounted price. Fees could be waived if you make set up periodic investments - clearly signaling your intent to do more business. If a new POA is required to transition to a brokerage account and a signature is not possible because of health, make that an exception.

As far as getting people off of the mutual fund platform, does it matter if there is 10 or 10,000? If it no longer makes financial sense for a mutual fund platform then announce an end of life.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:19 pm
jebmke wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:59 pm
patrick wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:03 pm What response would we see if Vanguard made a similar push to app-only access by charging $20 for their web interface?
I would either stay or move.
I'd be right behind you!
I would love a broker that allowed me to do everything by app! So frustrated when I need to go to the laptop😖
tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 »

I love new fees... But the new Vanguard site UI completely sucks. I'm getting paper work around to move to Fidelity.

Vanguard has made it difficult to manage my +2MM investments.
solarcub

Post by solarcub »

solarcub wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:34 pm
jeffyscott wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:52 pm
solarcub wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:24 pm Unfortunately, I also sold some Wellington a couple weeks ago, so now I have to wait until 30 days after that because of their frequent trading policy. Should converting from a mutual fund account to a brokerage account really count as "trading"? I don't think so, but they obviously do, or at least their computer system does. They are not making this easy for me, and a decent error message would have helped a lot.
They are not actually telling you that you can not transition to a brokerage account because you sold shares of a fund with the past 30 days, are they?
Yes, they are. The guy on the phone said there is a hold on converting the account because of the 30 day frequent trading policy. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I'm not buying, I'm converting.
... and now I have waited 30 days, yet I still can't convert. According to the error message, the problem is "automatic exchange service". I assume this refers to dividends from my Wellington going to buy shares of Total Stock Market, which I am no longer allowed to do. The problem is, I turned that off months ago, when I started this whole process.

So, if you haven't converted yet, be prepared. It might be really easy, but it might not.
cas

Post by cas »

solarcub wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:54 am According to the error message, the problem is "automatic exchange service". I assume this refers to dividends from my Wellington going to buy shares of Total Stock Market, which I am no longer allowed to do.
Automatic Exchange Service is something different than dividends going from one fund to a different fund.

One way to check whether you have any officially still set up is

My Accounts (at top of landing page) -> Profile & account Settings (under the Account Information header) -> Automatic Exchange (under the Banking & Money Movement section)
solarcub

Post by solarcub »

cas wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:24 am
solarcub wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:54 am According to the error message, the problem is "automatic exchange service". I assume this refers to dividends from my Wellington going to buy shares of Total Stock Market, which I am no longer allowed to do.
Automatic Exchange Service is something different than dividends going from one fund to a different fund.

One way to check whether you have any officially still set up is

My Accounts (at top of landing page) -> Profile & account Settings (under the Account Information header) -> Automatic Exchange (under the Banking & Money Movement section)
Good point. And now that I think of it, I did use that feature for a while, many years ago. Nothing active now, though, so I guess I'll have to call (again).

Thanks.
tsohg

Post by tsohg »

Thanks a lot, Vanguard. This is also the second time in the past year or two a VG initiated change has removed check writing support from a fund that previously had it with them. So I can fill out the same forms again and wait for them to send me another check book.

It's very frustrating to get an email out of the blue with a deadline 'encouraging' me to go through a somewhat confusing process to completely restructure my accounts, or accept additional fees from a firm built on (1) investor ownership and presumably care for those owners (2) low fees.

I went through the process and now my account overview looks like a hot mess. Great. :annoyed
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

tsohg wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:46 am Thanks a lot, Vanguard. This is also the second time in the past year or two a VG initiated change has removed check writing support from a fund that previously had it with them. So I can fill out the same forms again and wait for them to send me another check book.

It's very frustrating to get an email out of the blue with a deadline 'encouraging' me to go through a somewhat confusing process to completely restructure my accounts, or accept additional fees from a firm built on (1) investor ownership and presumably care for those owners (2) low fees.

I went through the process and now my account overview looks like a hot mess. Great. :annoyed
How is this out of the blue? They have been sending message after message to everyone to convert for what, a decade?
tsohg

Post by tsohg »

Nate79 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:09 am
tsohg wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:46 am Thanks a lot, Vanguard. This is also the second time in the past year or two a VG initiated change has removed check writing support from a fund that previously had it with them. So I can fill out the same forms again and wait for them to send me another check book.

How is this out of the blue? They have been sending message after message to everyone to convert for what, a decade?
Oh, sorry, I haven't been up to date with the most recent exciting prospectus advertisements for VBS. :oops: How silly of me to ignore this highly valuable offering that VG is foisting on me through threats of fees. I value stability, no changes, and low fees. Here' they're threatening higher fees if I don't make a wholesale change to my account structure.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I know when I did a transfer of an IRA to Vanguard from Fidelity I was informed that the new account had to be a brokerage account. So I know that they have not been opening new MF accounts (perhaps with some exceptions) since then. I don't recall when the "upgrade" nudges for existing MF accounts started but it was years ago, not months.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

Vanguard cheerleaders continue to ignore that CHARGING NEW FEES was never mentioned in any of those messages.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

jeffyscott wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:49 am Vanguard cheerleaders continue to ignore that CHARGING NEW FEES was never mentioned in any of those messages.
True but how to avoid the fees was. People are certainly free to leave to other custodians. I've moved twice in my investing life.
tsohg

Post by tsohg »

To be clear, I AM a VG cheerleader, I made this switch, and it's still highly annoying.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

jebmke wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:52 am
jeffyscott wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:49 am Vanguard cheerleaders continue to ignore that CHARGING NEW FEES was never mentioned in any of those messages.
True but how to avoid the fees was. People are certainly free to leave to other custodians. I've moved twice in my investing life.
Agree, but the complaints about short notice are valid.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

I am also a Vanguard cheerleader and have recently made the switch. Don't like it a bit, but I'll stick with it for a little while.

In the meantime, I'm looking around...which is something I never expected to do.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

jeffyscott wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:55 am
Perhaps; but I'm not big on grievances. Over the decades I've found that complaining doesn't accomplish much unless it is applied to the source of the issue AND when there is some chance that it will change things. Otherwise, it is a waste of mental energy.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

Vanguard has been very clear that they were going to make staying on the mutual fund platform more and more painful including taking away capabilities. I don't understand what is short notice. I guess they didn't say how they were going to make it painful.

Did people not understand that they would use fees to get people to get off the old platform? It was kind of obvious. I guess if people don't leave the next step will be to take away more functionality and probably raise the fees anymore.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

Nate79 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:36 pm
Vanguard has been very clear that they were going to make staying on the mutual fund platform more and more painful including taking away capabilities. I don't understand what is short notice. I guess they didn't say how they were going to make it painful.

Did people not understand that they would use fees to get people to get off the old platform? It was kind of obvious. I guess if people don't leave the next step will be to take away more functionality and probably raise the fees anymore.
It they had done it with more than 6 weeks notice and made it possible to automatically convert all of the accounts, rather than make many common configurations require manual intervention/explanation by their already-overwhelmed customer service department, it would have gone a lot smoother. (Not to mention the poor people who have POA-type access to accounts and are forced to reestablish that, possibly for people are no longer mentally competent.)

They further confused things by changing the threshold for free printed statements in brokerage accounts.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

I think the notice (6 weeks?) was short considering how many people are having problems with the transition and how difficult is is to get a human to help. I think something like 3 months notice and good customer service would have a very different reaction (although some people would still not want to move).

I also think their instructions have been poor. People have been transitioning for years. Vanguard has to know what problems are common and yet everyone who encounters a problem is having to reinvent the wheel.

I think Vanguard also confused things by announcing two new fees at the same time in the same message. A lot of people got confused by that, especially people who didn't even know there were two platforms to begin with.

I don't think it is the transition itself that is causing all this hate and discontent. I think it is how it was announced and then so poorly managed that is causing people to be so upset.
desertSunrise

Post by desertSunrise »

Joyful wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:22 pm Hi - Why don't you go ahead and make the switch to brokerage account(s)?
I did years ago.
Because I can't setup automatic exchanges for ETF-equivalent mutual funds. I need this for dollar-cost averaging. Week by week money flows from my settlement account into funds without my having to think about it.

BTW, I'm not sure if the hold times are as bad for Flagship Select clients, but as a Flagship client it took me over 20 mins on hold to eventually find out there is no way to turn off the pestering message EVERY time I log in even though I have reason not to switch. The new website leaves much to be desired.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

desertSunrise wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:50 pm
Joyful wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:22 pm Hi - Why don't you go ahead and make the switch to brokerage account(s)?
I did years ago.
Because I can't setup automatic exchanges for ETF-equivalent mutual funds. I need this for dollar-cost averaging. Week by week money flows from my settlement account into funds without my having to think about it.

BTW, I'm not sure if the hold times are as bad for Flagship Select clients, but as a Flagship client it took me over 20 mins on hold to eventually find out there is no way to turn off the pestering message EVERY time I log in even though I have reason not to switch. The new website leaves much to be desired.
You know you can hold mutual funds on their brokerage platform, right? You don't need to switch to ETFs.

Mutual funds will likely outlive everyone on this board.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Many people somehow still don't get that.
Dregob

Post by Dregob »

I transitioned tRNA, Roth IRA and our joint accounts. Simple.
The only odd thing was we had to print out the 12 page form for my wife's inherited IRA and mail it in.
No big deal and it all went smoothly.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

How did you think they were going to do it? A subset of clients convinced themselves that since Vanguard couldn't legally force conversion to a brokerage platform and associated account creations and authorizations that they were going to continue to be able to free-ride indefinitely on a deprecated and deprioritized platform pain-free. Asking nicely and gentle prods and reminders didn't work, but the overarching goal remains the same. This was always wishful thinking, and the apparent surprise and indignant reaction is actually what I find surprising. They want people off the old platform so we can all move on with life. Get off it or get out. I know from previous posts that you got out, so that's clearly a path that can be taken. Just don't delude yourselves.
BigJohn

Post by BigJohn »

retiredjg wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:47 pm I think the notice (6 weeks?) was short considering how many people are having problems with the transition and how difficult is is to get a human to help. I think something like 3 months notice and good customer service would have a very different reaction (although some people would still not want to move).

I also think their instructions have been poor. People have been transitioning for years. Vanguard has to know what problems are common and yet everyone who encounters a problem is having to reinvent the wheel.

I think Vanguard also confused things by announcing two new fees at the same time in the same message. A lot of people got confused by that, especially people who didn't even know there were two platforms to begin with.

I don't think it is the transition itself that is causing all this hate and discontent. I think it is how it was announced and then so poorly managed that is causing people to be so upset.
I disagree. Even with 3 months notice, the complaints would have been about the same. If you’ve ignored all the warning signs about less functionality and the likelihood of fees for this long, any change that forces your hand is going to be met with outrage. I’m guessing VG knows this and just decided it was time to rip the bandaid off and get it over with.
"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan" - Carl Von Clausewitz
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

BigJohn wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:11 pm
retiredjg wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:47 pm I think the notice (6 weeks?) was short considering how many people are having problems with the transition and how difficult is is to get a human to help. I think something like 3 months notice and good customer service would have a very different reaction (although some people would still not want to move).

I disagree. Even with 3 months notice, the complaints would have been about the same. If you’ve ignored all the warning signs about less functionality and the likelihood of fees for this long, any change that forces your hand is going to be met with outrage. I’m guessing VG knows this and just decided it was time to rip the bandaid off and get it over with.
I didn't say people would be happy with the change. But Vanguard's customer service failures during this change are adding insult to injury. Straw...camel...and all that.

People probably would have gotten over the change if the eventual product and service were acceptable. But that is not the case. I think a good number of people will not get over that.

It's not like Vanguard didn't already know they didn't have the customer service support to make this work. That's been obvious for quite awhile.
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

retiredjg wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:23 pm It's not like Vanguard didn't already know they didn't have the customer service support to make this work. That's been obvious for quite awhile.
I bet their calculus is to get investors on one platform so their training and customer support can be more focused on one system. Support for multiple systems is very expensive, especially when you have to train a lot of new CSRs. This pain is part of the plan to improve customer service.
PersonalFinanceJam

Post by PersonalFinanceJam »

retiringwhen wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:27 pm
retiredjg wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:23 pm It's not like Vanguard didn't already know they didn't have the customer service support to make this work. That's been obvious for quite awhile.
I bet their calculus is to get investors on one platform so their training and customer support can be more focused on one system. Support for multiple systems is very expensive, especially when you have to train a lot of new CSRs. This pain is part of the plan to improve customer service.
Hope springs eternal. It certainly could happen that way. however, I've been a part of several platform consolidation projects in my career. The calculus that says once we are done with this project we will be more efficient and cost effect almost always equated to, "here's all the people, including customer facing support, we think we can get rid of". The overall level of service didn't really improve because the people side of the equation was "right sized" to account for the new "efficiency".
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

PersonalFinanceJam wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:49 pm
retiringwhen wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:27 pm
Hope springs eternal. It certainly could happen that way. however, I've been a part of several platform consolidation projects in my career. The calculus that says once we are done with this project we will be more efficient and cost effect almost always equated to, "here's all the people, including customer facing support, we think we can get rid of". The overall level of service didn't really improve because the people side of the equation was "right sized" to account for the new "efficiency".
sometimes it is a race against the grim reaper as the people who know all the spaghetti code on legacy systems retire and die.
BigJohn

Post by BigJohn »

retiredjg wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:23 pm
BigJohn wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:11 pm

I didn't say people would be happy with the change. But Vanguard's customer service failures during this change are adding insult to injury. Straw...camel...and all that.

People probably would have gotten over the change if the eventual product and service were acceptable. But that is not the case. I think a good number of people will not get over that.

It's not like Vanguard didn't already know they didn't have the customer service support to make this work. That's been obvious for quite awhile.
I certainly agree that the short notice and customer service issues are adding insult to injury. I think it's clear that VG has reached the point where they want to get people on the MF platform angry enough to either leave or convert. My guess is that they really don't care much which way people swing as long as they're off the MF platform soon. And, if this doesn't get customers angry enough to do something, I'll bet they have round 2 lined up and ready to go.
"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan" - Carl Von Clausewitz
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

If people think these fees are painful they ain't seen nothing yet. The changes to how they handle RMDs are only the start.
patrick

Post by patrick »

I had earlier written that other Fidelity (and in many cases Schwab) had their own index funds at slightly lower cost than Vanguard. However, I've now realized there is one important exception: state-specific muni bond funds.

For New York, Vanguard's VNYUX fund has a 0.09% expense ratio, while the best you can get elsewhere is the NYF ETF at 0.25%. If you specifically need a mutual fund the cost would be even higher.

For New Jersey, Vanguard's VNJUX also has a 0.09% expense ratio, and index ETFs appear unavailable. It seems the cheapest alternative is Fidelity's FNJHX at 0.09%.

If you live in one of the states where Vanguard has a specific muni fund and you are in a high enough tax bracket for it to make sense to use it and your job won't allow you to have a Vanguard brokerage, then it seems there isn't any good option here. This might even be the one case where just paying the fee makes sense.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Nate79 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:36 pm

But they didn't notify everyone until recently. Some people never got the emails nor online prompts until recently. Some of us have been getting notified for years but I can tell you for a fact that was NOT true for everyone. Some lifelong Vanguard investors suddenly got a batch of letters letting them know if they don't act soon they would be the subject of over a hundred in new fees.
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

jebmke wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:53 pm sometimes it is a race against the grim reaper as the people who know all the spaghetti code on legacy systems retire and die.
I'm sure Covid threw a major monkey wrench in Vanguard's plans for the new system, with a lot of people demanding to work from home and/or leaving and/or retiring. When you are operating without a lot of cushion to lower expenses, any disruption becomes a major issue.

The new TSP system has also seen a lot of complaints and their offerings are much simpler than Vanguard's.
bling

Post by bling »

maybe instead of imposing a new a $20 fee like this, they should have changed it so if you stay on the old mutual fund platform, all funds will have an increased ER of 0.01-0.02%. i think for most, seeing the $20 line item is more repulsive than if the fee was levied behind the scenes.

this will obviously prolong the life of the mutual fund platform, but at least now they can afford to employ qualified engineers to maintain it.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

bling wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:53 am maybe instead of imposing a new a $20 fee like this, they should have changed it so if you stay on the old mutual fund platform, all funds will have an increased ER of 0.01-0.02%. i think for most, seeing the $20 line item is more repulsive than if the fee was levied behind the scenes.

this will obviously prolong the life of the mutual fund platform, but at least now they can afford to employ qualified engineers to maintain it.
I believe that is not allowed, but if it were, then those using a Vanguard brokerage account should also be charged more. They, too, cost vanguard more than those who hold Vanguard funds at Fidelity, Schwab, etc.
Investment101

Post by Investment101 »

About to switch over to the brokerage account, any negatives/cons switching to brokerage account? I actually just have total stock and total international stock, 40 bucks might not be that bad a year. Most of you guys already switched over long ago right?
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Don't know about "most", but fair to say a not insignificant number did it years ago -- myself included. Not aware of any major cons for your situation. A pro would be getting off a dying platform and saving $40.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

bling wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:53 am maybe instead of imposing a new a $20 fee like this, they should have changed it so if you stay on the old mutual fund platform, all funds will have an increased ER of 0.01-0.02%. i think for most, seeing the $20 line item is more repulsive than if the fee was levied behind the scenes.

You have to treat everyone in a share class the same. You couldn't do this just for the funds held on the legacy platform.
surfinagin

Post by surfinagin »

I have Limited Agent Authorization for an elderly relative. On 9/06, found no link/tab when we logged onto their account to make this change. Called Vanguard, and told by rep that b/c it's an "inactive account" (I do their transactions from mine) the online option wasn't provided. OK then.
They said the req'd forms they were mailing would be received within 5 days. Now 16 days later: called again and was told Vanguard is backed-up with many form requests, and no projection for when they will be received. But don't worry, if the forms aren't provided in time to avoid the $20/fund acct service fee deadline, then a note would be added to their acct and they won't have to pay the fee.

Vanguard staffing must be cut to the bone when they can't put 2 blank forms in an envelope and mail them within 2 weeks, or even project when they will manage to accomplish this.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

surfinagin wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:38 pm I have Limited Agent Authorization for an elderly relative. On 9/06, found no link/tab when we logged onto their account to make this change. Called Vanguard, and told by rep that b/c it's an "inactive account" (I do their transactions from mine) the online option wasn't provided. OK then.
They said the req'd forms they were mailing would be received within 5 days. Now 16 days later: called again and was told Vanguard is backed-up with many form requests, and no projection for when they will be received. But don't worry, if the forms aren't provided in time to avoid the $20/fund acct service fee deadline, then a note would be added to their acct and they won't have to pay the fee.

Vanguard staffing must be cut to the bone when they can't put 2 blank forms in an envelope and mail them within 2 weeks, or even project when they will manage to accomplish this.
They definitely are short staffed, but they complicated matters by announcing the fee out of the blue 6 weeks ago.
surfinagin

Post by surfinagin »

exodusNH wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:40 pm
surfinagin wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:38 pm I have Limited Agent Authorization for an elderly relative. On 9/06, found no link/tab when we logged onto their account to make this change. Called Vanguard, and told by rep that b/c it's an "inactive account" (I do their transactions from mine) the online option wasn't provided. OK then.

They definitely are short staffed, but they complicated matters by announcing the fee out of the blue 6 weeks ago.
I gave the rep feedback on my perspective regarding Vanguard's mismanagement of this whole thing to send up the chain.
Been with Vanguard a long time, but combined with previous issues this has me seriously considering transferring our accts out.
Investment101

Post by Investment101 »

Wow that sounds like very bad customer service!

Other than customer service, Vanguard is decent right? I just leave the funds there and I almost never call or contact them.

Changing from the old MF only account to new brokerage account, it should take 1,2 days?
Lionel Hutz

Post by Lionel Hutz »

Investment101 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:37 pm Wow that sounds like very bad customer service!

Other than customer service, Vanguard is decent right? I just leave the funds there and I almost never call or contact them.
I think few would argue: their funds are best in class. In fact, many hold their ETFs at other brokers.

One main problem with Vanguard as noted on this forum is there can be a bit of a snowball effect when something does go wrong. For one there's long call holds, for another their problem resolution isn't top tier. So for many on this forum they've hit their limit and they've left for Fidelity, Schwab. For many others it hasn't been problem enough to move.
Changing from the old MF only account to new brokerage account, it should take 1,2 days?
The transition to the new brokerage account should only take a few days. Most have no problems, though some have definitely reported problems. Especially if you have a taxable account you should save your own records in case something is mixed up in the switch.

Also, there's a $20 annual fee on the brokerage platform unless you're signed up for e-delivery.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

Lionel Hutz wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:15 pm Also, there's a $20 annual fee on the brokerage platform unless you're signed up for e-delivery.
Or have $1M in Vanguard assets.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

Investment101 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:37 pm Wow that sounds like very bad customer service!

From other reports, it happens pretty quickly once it starts. But there are a number of things that can prevent automatic conversion. Then you're sent into Vanguard Customer Service Limbo.
surfinagin

Post by surfinagin »

Regarding long call holds: I left my number for a callback when the automated line said the wait would be over an hour.
They were right -the rep called me back 80" later.
This is Flagship.
sajohnson

Post by sajohnson »

This may be common knowledge but I haven't seen any mention of it:

Vanguard PDF says BOTH mutual fund and brokerage accounts have $20 annual fees!:

See page 4: https://www.vanguard.com/pdf/vbafqm.pdf

Account service fee

$20 annual fee for each mutual fund
account.
Refer to the applicable
Vanguard fund prospectus or
visit vanguard.com to learn about
exclusions that may apply.

$20 annual fee for each brokerage account. Refer to the
Vanguard Brokerage commission and fee schedules at
vanguard.com/commissions to learn about exclusions that
may apply.

~

The impression I have from Vanguard's recent emails that threaten to charge $20 per account is that if we are good boys and girls and transition to a brokerage account(s) there will be no fees.

Does anyone know what the truth is?
“Fund performance comes and goes. Costs go on forever.” – John Bogle | | “The two greatest enemies of the equity fund investor are expenses and emotions.” – John Bogle