Fidelity Full View - recent experiences?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
GreendaleCC

Fidelity Full View - recent experiences?

Post by GreendaleCC »

Has anyone recently enabled Full View in their Fidelity account to track your non-Fidelity accounts there?

I'm tempted to try it in hopes of giving up my tracking spreadsheet, but I don't want to encourage any pitches from my assigned "Fidelity Premium Services" advisor, who I have never communicated with.

If you've enrolled in Full View recently, has it sparked any sales actions by Fidelity personnel?

In addition, how easy is it to remove specific accounts, like Fidelity 529 plans, from the Full View summation?
Outer Marker

Re: Fidelity Full View - recent experiences?

Post by Outer Marker »

Its great and very easy to use. I linked all my outside accounts, and it provides a quick and easy snapshot of what's going on. I still do a more detailed analysis from time to time in excel, but Full View is a very useful tool. Never gotten any marketing or promo's off of it, and its easy to "uncheck" any account you don't want included in the analysis.
jebco

Post by jebco »

I put all my external account amounts in there and have never heard a peep from any advisor or advisor-like services. Only about 50% of my assets are at Fidelity so I assume if they were doing that kind of thing I'd be a target. The UI is a little clunky IMO and it categorized my 529 plan and CMA, which are both at Fidelity, as "investment accounts". It feels like a third-party product bolted on to fidelity (which it is).
mamster

Post by mamster »

Is there a way in Full View to manually set the type of a particular investment? e.g., it doesn't know my I-bonds are bonds and classified them as "Other."
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

My Full View has been working fine for the past few years. I remember some glitches when they changed platforms some time ago but no issues for quite some time. Occasionally some accounts will show as unable to update, but all I have to do is login through Full View and follow whatever prompts are required and the accounts update. In most cases, it's two step verification issues.

I rarely get calls / contacts from my Fidelity rep though I got one the other day because my rep for the past few years has moved on and they've assigned me someone new. I told the caller (his assistant) I had no interest in talking now, but to send me their contact info should I need assistance in the future. Truthfully, I've never had an unpleasant experience speaking to Fidelity either in-person or over the phone.
chance

Post by chance »

Registered about a year ago and have received zero Fidelity solicitations since.
sobogled

Post by sobogled »

Never received solicitation (unlike PersonalCapital). If you are concerned there is an ability to turn off sharing with an advisor in the settings. I believe, at most, this function is used for people actively working with an advisor to obtain the full financial profile.
bridge2benefits

Post by bridge2benefits »

I'm not using Full View, but I recently started using Fidelity's "Analysis" tool based on a tip from an old post by livesoft. The Analysis tool lets me see all of my internal, external, and combined balances in one place, and it does a decent job of automatically categorizing my investments and giving a % breakdown by domestic stocks, international stocks and fixed income.

Since the Analysis tool doesn't actually link to my other accounts directly, I need to occasionally update the # of shares it is tracking in an external account, on the occasions where I have added shares to them. And I need to click "Edit" and "Save" on references to external accounts in order to trigger an update of the price per share. I don't mind these extra steps, because I consider the Analysis tool to be more secure because it doesn't require me share my login credentials to external accounts.
wanderer

Post by wanderer »

I have been tracking expenses in FV for nearly 3 years. No issues with sales calls.
Once your accounts are linked and the categories set up it is easy. We occasionally have to re-link, but mostly because the supplying account owner has a time limit for these connections or changes their methods.
The automated categorization for new transactions is often bizarre, so I review each transaction and adjust as needed. I spend only a few minutes each week or so to review the expenses, including re-categorizing as needed.

We prefer to categorize expenses similar to Fidelity's retirement planner. FV doesn't quite work that way, (that I could figure out) So we have forced categorizations. FV cannot amortize (to my knowledge) any non-monthly income/expenses, so, for us, it doesn't truly reflect our month-month expenditures vs budget. We have semiannual farm rental income and expenses, quarterly tax payments, and annual and semiannual expenses, such as insurance. We prefer to amortize these items to smooth out our monthly expense/budget review. So we do not use the budget and very limited reporting options.

I download the FV data to excel to adjust the categories and accruals to see review our expenditures and budget the way we prefer. Having all expenses in one view/download does simplify the the spreadsheet rather than individual downloads and sorting.

The FV portfolio analysis is slightly different than Fidelity's internal calculation. Neither seems to handle our TIPS bond funds vs conventional bond funds the way I'd expect.

We are retired and have most of our assets at Fidelity, so doing it this way makes it simpler for us.

You will need to decide if you want to link your external accounts to Fidelity and it's FullView provider, emoney.
You will need to decide it a single view of expenses is worth the effort.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

I just tried it and for those into looking at that stuff it is fine. My biggest annoyance is all of my accounts (8 at Fidelity alone) and not being able to consolidate them easily. I understand the reason for the accounts (inherited accounts, HSA, etc.) but when you are buying/selling or just looking at what you have, it is a real mess. And at times having a few hundred in cash and not being able to combine the cash together to buy something. An annoyance but fairly minor.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

GreendaleCC wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:57 am Has anyone recently enabled Full View in their Fidelity account to track your non-Fidelity accounts there?

I'm tempted to try it in hopes of giving up my tracking spreadsheet, but I don't want to encourage any pitches from my assigned "Fidelity Premium Services" advisor, who I have never communicated with.

If you've enrolled in Full View recently, has it sparked any sales actions by Fidelity personnel?

In addition, how easy is it to remove specific accounts, like Fidelity 529 plans, from the Full View summation?
Been using them for years. No, just having full view doesn't prompt any pitches from the Premium Services Advisor.
I get a email ping from the advisor maybe once a year, and it's usually pretty boilerplate and I don't respond. Sometimes, an assistant will leave me a voicemail every couple of years, but we don't answer the phone anyway (does anybody actually do that anymore?) :D
Gus Chiggins

Post by Gus Chiggins »

Also use Full View and haven’t received any solicitations (from my assigned Client Services rep or otherwise).
mkc

Post by mkc »

I've been using Full View for several years and have only received one (completely unsolicited) phone call from Fidelity. It was clear that rep was unaware of any assets held outside of Fidelity.
Topic Author
GreendaleCC

Post by GreendaleCC »

Thanks, everyone!

I’m going to try the Analysis tool, since the assets in external accounts don’t change much and I’m ok updating their info.

I added my external accounts. The Analysis tool has exceeded my expectations.
BabaWawa

Post by BabaWawa »

I use it, but then again about 95% of my funds are at Fidelity. I have a Fidelity advisor assigned to me and only get emails about online educational events, which are very good. They never call by phone. Fidelity definitely is better than my previous experiences at Vanguard, Schwab, TD Ameritrade, and E-Trade.
jerrylll

Post by jerrylll »

They replaced the old Full View with its first party tool today. The new tool is so far disastrous. The old emoney-based full view is still accessible but I doubt Fidelity will deprecate it soon.
chance

Post by chance »

jerrylll wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:23 pm They replaced the old Full View with its first party tool today. The new tool is so far disastrous. The old emoney-based full view is still accessible but I doubt Fidelity will deprecate it soon.
Curious as to why you think it is "disastrous"? I checked it out this afternoon and thought it's an improvement in terms of the overall layout, interface, and simplicity. I like the way on the Net Worth screen it has assets on the left and liabilities on the right with all of my accounts. I like the spending page too which provides a nice clean summary of spending over time and by category. The only issue I'm noticing right now is that on the Savings page it is showing savings for accounts that I've hidden on my Net Worth page and I don't see any way to hide these accounts that I don't want included. I assume that might be a glitch that they still need to work out.
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

chance wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:37 pm
jerrylll wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:23 pm They replaced the old Full View with its first party tool today. The new tool is so far disastrous. The old emoney-based full view is still accessible but I doubt Fidelity will deprecate it soon.
Curious as to why you think it is "disastrous"? I checked it out this afternoon and thought it's an improvement in terms of the overall layout, interface, and simplicity. I like the way on the Net Worth screen it has assets on the left and liabilities on the right with all of my accounts. I like the spending page too which provides a nice clean summary of spending over time and by category. The only issue I'm noticing right now is that on the Savings page it is showing savings for accounts that I've hidden on my Net Worth page and I don't see any way to hide these accounts that I don't want included. I assume that might be a glitch that they still need to work out.
The problem is all of the budgeting/expense tracking tools are gone. I don't need software help to calculate my net worth, especially since 85% of my assets are already with Fidelity; even if that were not the case, it's not hard to create a spreadsheet that does the same thing (which I already do as a backup).

What I do need software help with is tracking expenses by category and budget management, and all of those categorization tools simply don't exist anymore in Full View. All of my custom rules and categorizations are just completely gone. The only 'spending' transactions it recognizes are the ones from my cash management account - all of my credit card transactions (which are the bulk of my transactions) simply don't get recognized or categorized.

It's now functionally useless to me. For now, I can still bookmark "https://digital.fidelity.com/ftgw/digital/emoney/home" and access the old tool, but who knows how much longer it will be supported?
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

I can't get Full View to work with (as in to access successfully) TIAA, regardless of the TIAA option I select.
2pedals

Post by 2pedals »

My customized report in the updated “full view” is no longer available. I needed to revert back to the previous “full view”.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

New member KoreanBard has a question which I've moved to a new thread. See: Problem linking Fidelity / eMoney to NetTeller
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
WillRetire

Post by WillRetire »

I used FullView for a few years with some success, but stopped using it a couple months ago when it stopped working with one of my accounts at another (major) financial institution. For 2 weeks, the error was along the lines of "this is a temporary problem, no action is needed by you". This type of problem occurred off and on throughout the many years using FullView.

I finally concluded FullView is not worth it. I manage the household budget and portfolio AA using spreadsheets and those work perfectly 99.9% of the time.

I also stopped using Fidelity's retirement planner because of the squirrelly way it defines "below avg" / "significantly below avg" as being a probability for failure instead of using below avg mkt returns. But that's another topic.
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

I like the concept, but the problem with so many of the aggregators is that the account linkages are constantly breaking. For instance, none of the aggregators can ever seem to work with Capital Group, a huge 401k provider, for more than a week at a time. You constantly have to re-link the accounts or re-authenticate. I just gave up.
trueson1

Post by trueson1 »

I have used Full View for a number of years and I do occassionally get sales calls from Fidelity, which I just ignore. The best feature of the linked accounts is it allows quick review of the Retirement Analysis tool. I do the same thing with Empower to maintain a sanity check with Retirement projections.
furwut

Post by furwut »

I've used Full View since the beginning of the year. The new version is organized better but has taken functionality away. Here are my observations:

1. Can no longer create custom categories
2. Can no longer split transactions
3. Can no longer edit transaction descriptions
4. Can no longer create rules to automatically re-categorize transactions
5. Can no longer use pie chart report to drill down into specifics
6. Transaction report doesn't show sub-category.
PatrickA5

Post by PatrickA5 »

The new version is kinda weird. I don't use expenses and don't have liabilities, so all that is showing up is my Investment accounts. The weird thing is that the new version doesn't equal the old version and neither is right. It worked fine a few weeks ago (old version). The new and the old version are pulling in my Chase account, but both pull in something different and neither seems to get the whole amount to come over. Hopefully, it will correct on its own.
chance

Post by chance »

Independent George wrote:
The problem is all of the budgeting/expense tracking tools are gone. I don't need software help to calculate my net worth, especially since 85% of my assets are already with Fidelity; even if that were not the case, it's not hard to create a spreadsheet that does the same thing (which I already do as a backup).

What I do need software help with is tracking expenses by category and budget management, and all of those categorization tools simply don't exist anymore in Full View. All of my custom rules and categorizations are just completely gone. The only 'spending' transactions it recognizes are the ones from my cash management account - all of my credit card transactions (which are the bulk of my transactions) simply don't get recognized or categorized.
The budgeting and expenses tracking works for me. The new version of Full View provides expenses by categories for my Fidelity credit card and all of my other credit cards. You can create rules, but I'm not sure if the capabilities are different than the old version as I didn't use many rules in the old version. Might be some teething and adjustment issues?
Nathan Drake

Post by Nathan Drake »

chance wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:22 pm
Independent George wrote:

The budgeting and expenses tracking works for me. The new version of Full View provides expenses by categories for my Fidelity credit card and all of my other credit cards. You can create rules, but I'm not sure if the capabilities are different than the old version as I didn't use many rules in the old version. Might be some teething and adjustment issues?
Yeah budgeting/spending/saving tracking is working well for me
20% VOO | 20% VXUS | 20% AVUV | 20% AVDV | 20% AVES
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

I I don't like linking our HYSAs, other brokerage accounts, etc. (my wife and I basically have no liabilities) to Full View; instead, I enter information manually. I had to redo all of these to use the new version. When manually adding a brokerage account in the old version - say a Schwab Roth - I was able to enter the security holdings (which don't change a lot) and Full View would then update the per-share values (which of course do). In the new version, currently, I can only input the total value of the account as of a point in time. Definitely a step back at the moment for my use case.

A more minor issue I have with adding manual accounts: both my wife and I can use Full View with our respective Fidelity accounts, and FV provides a complete household picture. In the old version, when adding an external account, I had three choices for account ownership - me, wife, or both. The option for "both" has disappeared. We have a Wells Fargo brokerage account that is jointly owned, for example.

We meet a couple of times a year with our assigned FPCG advisor - some folks on the forum seem paranoid about any such contact :happy, but we find the discussions useful, interesting, and pleasant and never get sales pitches that we don't ask for (last year, we bought fixed term annuities to bridge the gap between retirement dates and the start of social security, for example, and we inquired about, but didn't pursue, a hybrid LTC arrangement). Full View has been helpful for these discussions.

Speaking of the annuities (arranged with Mass Mutual via Fidelity), the automatic presentation in either version of Full View doesn't make sense. FV only shows the first monthly payment for each of us, which won't kick in until next year, rather than the value (amount paid) for the annuities.
Agent86

Post by Agent86 »

I have been a long time user of Full View. It has had its challenges in collecting 3rd party information and the planning tooling was seriously lacking (no recommendations for conversions, poor display of information, poor social security calculations for non-basic scenarios etc.).

Fidelity has stated that the tool seems to be in a transition from the in-house Fidelity tool to the commercial eMoney tool. The Net Worth, Debt etc. screens are the eMoney screens but the planning engine is the legacy Fidelity Full VIew tool. I am optimistic that it will be completed migrated by YE to the full eMoney platform, which will offer a better tool and experience.

I review and wait.
----
Agent 86
noraz123

Post by noraz123 »

Independent George wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:20 pm

It's now functionally useless to me. For now, I can still bookmark "https://digital.fidelity.com/ftgw/digital/emoney/home" and access the old tool, but who knows how much longer it will be supported?
Thanks for calling this out. I use a MacBook computer, so typically use Safari as my browser. The old full view web page never worked for me, so I specifically used Google Chrome solely for Full View. Since I was always going to the same (old page), I didn't even notice the new one.

I am in the same boat as you - I need an expense tracker since Mint.com is going away. I found the old Full View expense tracking quite good, but the new version is completely lacking a lot of the old functionality. You can not create custom expense (sub)categories, and you cannot create auto assign rules for new transactions.

What I find the most confusing is that older transactions that I set expense categories show up in the old page still marked correctly, but do not have my categorization in the new view.

The only positive that I see for me is that the new version works in my Safari browser.

For now, I will continue to use the old Full View page and hope that Fidelity maintains it at least until the new version is at par with it.
radiowave

Post by radiowave »

furwut wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:26 am
I've used Full View since the beginning of the year. The new version is organized better but has taken functionality away. Here are my observations:

1. Can no longer create custom categories
2. Can no longer split transactions
3. Can no longer edit transaction descriptions
4. Can no longer create rules to automatically re-categorize transactions
5. Can no longer use pie chart report to drill down into specifics
6. Transaction report doesn't show sub-category.

I've spent a few years customizing categories. In the "new" version, I cannot use my custom categories and it seems that is changes prior ones?? This is not acceptable. I agree the other items listed above need to be incorporated into any Fidelity changes for Full View. Again, changing existing data is not acceptable.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
sco

Post by sco »

I noticed any manual accounts in the new version seem to be old. Older names and values. This is why my NW was different between the two.

It’s like they took a copy of the manual accounts from 5 years ago and used that in the new version.
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

As of yesterday, Fidelity has reverted back to the old version of Full View.

Hurray to Fidelity for actually listening to their customers. Classic Full View is not perfect - but it was so much better than the new version they put out, and is more than adequate to my needs. I'm not opposed to change, but an application like this should never go backwards in terms of its supported features.