How do I create an Asset Allocation pie chart of investments from accounts in different brokerage firms ?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
consinv

How do I create an Asset Allocation pie chart of investments from accounts in different brokerage firms ?

Post by consinv »

I have a multiple accounts (brokerage, traditional IRA, ROTH IRA, HSA) in multiple brokerage firms. Is there a software program in which I can input all the investments from the various accounts to understand what my current asset allocation is?

The reason I don't know the asset allocation is because I had a financial advisor for a few years but no longer have one. Eventually, I decided it was too expensive (fee = 1% of investments managed). I have transferred all the investments into my Vanguard accounts. I have separate 401K and brokerage accounts in Fidelity and Etrade with my current workplace. So, there are multiple accounts in multiple brokerage firms. And it is the same case with my husband. In order to get a big picture/bird's eye view of our Asset Allocation, I was looking for some software in which I could input the positions and see the allocation.

Having a software will really help me to understand my current allocation and I want to then put in other investment positions to see how it affects the allocation.

I see that Etrade, Fidelity, Vanguard all have a way to show the allocations but are limited to the investments in the brokerage firm. I'd also like to input Real Estate investment information like a few houses that we own.

I was looking first for a free software, but am open to paying for one. Any input is greatly appreciated!
ebeb

Re: How do I create an Asset Allocation pie chart of investments from accounts in different brokerage firms ?

Post by ebeb »

Excel will do the job but needs some effort for data entry.
80% VOO | 20% BND+TBILL+CASH | Don't believe Nobody because Nobody knows nothin' - Anon
LiveSimple

Re: How do I create an Asset Allocation pie chart of investments from accounts in different brokerage firms ?

Post by LiveSimple »

Excel spreadsheet data entry then pivot table and graph on the pivot table will do the trick

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/off ... 55538e7b1c
Invest when you have the money, sell when you need the money, for real life expenses...
Godot

Post by Godot »

consinv wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:40 pm I have a multiple accounts (brokerage, traditional IRA, ROTH IRA, HSA) in multiple brokerage firms. Is there a software program in which I can input all the investments from the various accounts to understand what my current asset allocation is?

The reason I don't know the asset allocation is because I had a financial advisor for a few years but no longer have one. Eventually, I decided it was too expensive (fee = 1% of investments managed). I have transferred all the investments into my Vanguard accounts. I have separate 401K and brokerage accounts in Fidelity and Etrade with my current workplace. So, there are multiple accounts in multiple brokerage firms. And it is the same case with my husband. In order to get a big picture/bird's eye view of our Asset Allocation, I was looking for some software in which I could input the positions and see the allocation.

Having a software will really help me to understand my current allocation and I want to then put in other investment positions to see how it affects the allocation.

I see that Etrade, Fidelity, Vanguard all have a way to show the allocations but are limited to the investments in the brokerage firm. I'd also like to input Real Estate investment information like a few houses that we own.

I was looking first for a free software, but am open to paying for one. Any input is greatly appreciated!
You can input accounts from other brokerages using Fidelity's Full View: https://www.fidelity.com/cash-managemen ... w/overview
Last edited by Godot on Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The day you die is just like any other, only shorter." | ― Samuel Beckett
delamer

Post by delamer »

You can do so in Quicken.

You download (or manually enter) the data for each account, Quicken assigns each individual investment an asset allocation (based on the ticker symbol), and you group all related accounts into one report.
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

consinv wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:40 pmI see that Etrade, Fidelity, Vanguard all have a way to show the allocations but are limited to the investments in the brokerage firm. I'd also like to input Real Estate investment information like a few houses that we own.
I am sure that Fidelity, Vanguard, and others allow one to manually enter investments not held at them, so I use the tools at Fidelity and Vanguard to show the allocation of all my investments across all the financial institutions that I have accounts at.

See viewtopic.php?t=150267
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
squirrel1963

Post by squirrel1963 »

delamer wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:20 pm You can do so in Quicken.

You download (or manually enter) the data for each account, Quicken assigns each individual investment an asset allocation (based on the ticker symbol), and you group all related accounts into one report.
This is what I do although I customize the asset class to my taste (us_stocks, us_reit, intl_stocks, treasury, tips,.....).

Excel would be a great choice too, but requires some work.
LMP | Liability Matching Portfolio | safe portfolio: TIPS ladder + I-bonds + Treasuries | risky portfolio: US stocks / US REIT / International stocks
Wiggums

Post by Wiggums »

I created my Portfolio AA using Microsoft excel. Quicken has this feature built in, but I had difficulty with a 401k that had proprietary (no tick symbol) funds.

You can breakdown each account balance into US stocks/US bonds/INTL stocks/INTL bonds/cash. Based on the total of each column, you can calculate the AA ratio. Then you can generate a pie chart based on the AA ratios.

i’m sure there are many other ways to do this.
"I started with nothing and I still have most of it left."
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

Unless you really like spreadsheets, start with Fidelity Full View. I would also consider using pen and paper to do an estimate of equities/bonds/cash. I think writing it down manually can help get it all straightened out in my brain.
squirrel1963

Post by squirrel1963 »

Wiggums wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:28 pm I created my Portfolio AA using Microsoft excel. Quicken has this feature built in, but I had difficulty with a 401k that had proprietary (no tick symbol) funds.

You can breakdown each account balance into US stocks/US bonds/INTL stocks/INTL bonds/cash. Based on the total of each column, you can calculate the AA ratio. Then you can generate a pie chart based on the AA ratios.

In cases like these (for instance I-bonds) I just create a fake ticker like IBOND-2022-08 if bought this month and manually enter data in quicken.

I am sufficiently annoyed with quicken though that I am thinking myself to just use excel for everything.
LMP | Liability Matching Portfolio | safe portfolio: TIPS ladder + I-bonds + Treasuries | risky portfolio: US stocks / US REIT / International stocks
markjk

Post by markjk »

Godot wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:19 pm You can input accounts from other brokerages using Fidelity's Full View: https://www.fidelity.com/cash-managemen ... w/overview
Vanguard has something similar called Portfolio Watch. It can be a little bit clunky but once it's set up, it's easy to maintain. I started using it about 8 years ago. It's much less work than trying to maintain a spreadsheet and does everything you are asking for. If you have accounts at either Fidelity or Vanguard, I'd suggest using one of those options based on my experience.
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

Katietsu wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:08 am Unless you really like spreadsheets, start with Fidelity Full View.
+1. This is free, easy to use, and link your other accounts if you have one at Fidelity.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

ebeb wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:14 pm Excel will do the job but needs some effort for data entry.
If I can’t do something like this easily in Excel or Google Sheets I know the situation is too complicated and needs to be fundamentally restructured. More than once I have used a spreadsheet exercise as the start of a major simplification.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
leonidas

Post by leonidas »

Have you tried personal capital. It’s a free online tool that I’ve been using for years. You can connect your accounts or you can add manually if you prefer.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Investing - Theory, News & General forum (general discussion).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Zeno

Post by Zeno »

interesting
Last edited by Zeno on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PicassoSparks

Post by PicassoSparks »

Do these tools account for the fact that some of that money is subject to taxes on withdrawal and some isn’t? Especially if you are trying to maintain a certain asset allocation across tax deferred and taxable.
Zeno

Post by Zeno »

PicassoSparks wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:20 am Do these tools account for the fact that some of that money is subject to taxes on withdrawal and some isn’t? Especially if you are trying to maintain a certain asset allocation across tax deferred and taxable.
I'm unsure
Last edited by Zeno on Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

I use the free version of morning star instant xray.
PicassoSparks

Post by PicassoSparks »

Thanks. What I’m trying to understand (which I think you have answered with “no”) is whether the tools can help correct asset allocations given that many people suggest things like all bonds in tax deferred and equities in taxable or whatever.

If I have 60/40 but my 60 is in a ROTH and my 40 is in a Trad, I don’t really have 60/40 because the 40 is encumbered by taxes. So my ratio is something different. I’m taking on more risk than I realize.

This gets increasingly confused when dealing with a mix of ROTH, Trad and Taxable with less clean allocation divisions than my toy example.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

PicassoSparks wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:20 am Do these tools account for the fact that some of that money is subject to taxes on withdrawal and some isn’t? Especially if you are trying to maintain a certain asset allocation across tax deferred and taxable.
Since it is very difficult to forecast taxes in the future, no.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
invest2bfree

Post by invest2bfree »

consinv wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:40 pm I have a multiple accounts (brokerage, traditional IRA, ROTH IRA, HSA) in multiple brokerage firms. Is there a software program in which I can input all the investments from the various accounts to understand what my current asset allocation is?

Move it all to fidelity. LOL.

My 401k was in Fidelity and I just transferred taxable to Fidelity.
36% (IRA) - Individual LT Corporate Bonds , 33%(taxable) - schy, 33%(taxable) - SCHD Dividend Growth
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

PicassoSparks wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:42 am Thanks. What I’m trying to understand (which I think you have answered with “no”) is whether the tools can help correct asset allocations given that many people suggest things like all bonds in tax deferred and equities in taxable or whatever.

If I have 60/40 but my 60 is in a ROTH and my 40 is in a Trad, I don’t really have 60/40 because the 40 is encumbered by taxes. So my ratio is something different. I’m taking on more risk than I realize.

This gets increasingly confused when dealing with a mix of ROTH, Trad and Taxable with less clean allocation divisions than my toy example.
I don't bother (or care that much). I do understand the tax implications of various holdings but I don't try to calculate exact numbers about things I can't know about the future. You could discount tax deferred accounts by your current marginal tax rate if you insist on doing something but you still don't know what any of those numbers are going to actually be in the future. If you are climbing onto the "tax diversification bandwagon", rough % splits across account types is close enough.
ruhigste

Post by ruhigste »

From within Quicken's investment dashboard, you can also download current prices by ticker symbol. This also update's your investment allocation graph / report automatically.
ginrummy

Post by ginrummy »

I use https://www.doughroller.net/investing/a ... readsheet/. Works well, you just have to read the instructions on the webpage. Manual entry, but once you get it all in, you should be good to go.

Also, Personal Capital does a decent job with allocation and will pull straight from your brokerage once you give them access.
delamer

Post by delamer »

ruhigste wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:17 am

From within Quicken's investment dashboard, you can also download current prices by ticker symbol. This also update's your investment allocation graph / report automatically.
Yup.
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

markjk wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:51 am
Godot wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:19 pm You can input accounts from other brokerages using Fidelity's Full View: https://www.fidelity.com/cash-managemen ... w/overview
Vanguard has something similar called Portfolio Watch. It can be a little bit clunky but once it's set up, it's easy to maintain. I started using it about 8 years ago. It's much less work than trying to maintain a spreadsheet and does everything you are asking for. If you have accounts at either Fidelity or Vanguard, I'd suggest using one of those options based on my experience.
Vanguard's Portfolio Watch has had accuracy issues in the past, but (slowly) getting better. Unfortunately, it's still way too clunky, IMHO, and lacks accuracy and granular detail compared to the excellent Personal Capital tool. I find the latter far more useful, as it incorporates a Morningstar-like "9 Style Box" breakdown of domestic equity sub-classes, and similar analysis of all holdings across multiple accounts and brokerages.
Retired 2018 | currently ~64/33/3 (partially sliced and diced, with a slowly rising equity glide path)
Topic Author
consinv

Post by consinv »

ebeb wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:14 pm Excel will do the job but needs some effort for data entry.
Thank you.
Topic Author
consinv

Post by consinv »

LiveSimple wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:17 pm Excel spreadsheet data entry then pivot table and graph on the pivot table will do the trick

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/off ... 55538e7b1c
Thank you.
Topic Author
consinv

Post by consinv »

Godot wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:19 pm

You can input accounts from other brokerages using Fidelity's Full View: https://www.fidelity.com/cash-managemen ... w/overview
Thank you. I am trying to use Portfolio Watch at Vanguard per someone's suggestion in this thread. But yesterday after inputting some data, i did not see the Asset Allocation getting updated. If that does not work, I will try Fidelity.
Topic Author
consinv

Post by consinv »

Ok, that is good to know in case I choose to purchase Quicken.
Topic Author
consinv

Post by consinv »

Wiggums wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:28 pm I created my Portfolio AA using Microsoft excel. Quicken has this feature built in, but I had difficulty with a 401k that had proprietary (no tick symbol) funds.

Thank you. I was able to create one in Vanguard using Portfolio Watch. I could add Outside Investments. For some of the proprietary funds without ticker symbols, I put in the equivalent positions in a comparable fund, just to get the asset allocation. I think I can see my big picture investment asset allocation now.
Topic Author
consinv

Post by consinv »

livesoft wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:23 pm
consinv wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:40 pmI see that Etrade, Fidelity, Vanguard all have a way to show the allocations but are limited to the investments in the brokerage firm. I'd also like to input Real Estate investment information like a few houses that we own.
I am sure that Fidelity, Vanguard, and others allow one to manually enter investments not held at them, so I use the tools at Fidelity and Vanguard to show the allocation of all my investments across all the financial institutions that I have accounts at.

See viewtopic.php?t=150267
Thank you for the link to more information. I was able to create one in Vanguard using Portfolio Watch. I could add Outside Investments. For some of the proprietary funds without ticker symbols, I put in the equivalent positions in a comparable fund, just to get the asset allocation. I think I can see my big picture investment asset allocation now.
Topic Author
consinv

Post by consinv »

squirrel1963 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:23 pm

This is what I do although I customize the asset class to my taste (us_stocks, us_reit, intl_stocks, treasury, tips,.....).

Excel would be a great choice too, but requires some work.
Thank you. I was able to create one in Vanguard using Portfolio Watch. I could add Outside Investments. For some of the proprietary funds without ticker symbols, I put in the equivalent positions in a comparable fund, just to get the asset allocation. I think I can see my big picture investment asset allocation now.
Topic Author
consinv

Post by consinv »

Topic Author
consinv

Post by consinv »

Katietsu wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:08 am Unless you really like spreadsheets, start with Fidelity Full View. I would also consider using pen and paper to do an estimate of equities/bonds/cash. I think writing it down manually can help get it all straightened out in my brain.
You are very right. It would really help me understand the details of the investments. But it takes so much time! I was able to create one in Vanguard using Portfolio Watch. I could add Outside Investments. For some of the proprietary funds without ticker symbols, I put in the equivalent positions in a comparable fund, just to get the asset allocation. I think I can see my big picture investment asset allocation now.
Topic Author
consinv

Post by consinv »

squirrel1963 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:05 am

In cases like these (for instance I-bonds) I just create a fake ticker like IBOND-2022-08 if bought this month and manually enter data in quicken.

I am sufficiently annoyed with quicken though that I am thinking myself to just use excel for everything.
Topic Author
consinv

Post by consinv »

markjk wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:51 am
Thank you. Yes, I was able to create one in Vanguard using Portfolio Watch. I could add Outside Investments. For some of the proprietary funds without ticker symbols, I put in the equivalent positions in a comparable fund, just to get the asset allocation. I think I can see my big picture investment asset allocation now.
Topic Author
consinv

Post by consinv »

Outer Marker wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:57 am
Katietsu wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:08 am Unless you really like spreadsheets, start with Fidelity Full View.
+1. This is free, easy to use, and link your other accounts if you have one at Fidelity.
Topic Author
consinv

Post by consinv »

leonidas wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:00 am Have you tried personal capital. It’s a free online tool that I’ve been using for years. You can connect your accounts or you can add manually if you prefer.
I feel a bit uncomfortable with them soliciting me for using their financial advisors. But I do know that PC has that free option. Thank you.
Topic Author
consinv

Post by consinv »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:12 am This thread is now in the Investing - Theory, News & General forum (general discussion).
Thank you.
Topic Author
consinv

Post by consinv »

Zeno wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:26 am Personal Capital is recommended
Thank you.
Topic Author
consinv

Post by consinv »

Mike Scott wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:39 am I use the free version of morning star instant xray.
Thank you.
Topic Author
consinv

Post by consinv »

ruhigste wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:17 am

Thank you.
Topic Author
consinv

Post by consinv »

ginrummy wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:25 am I use https://www.doughroller.net/investing/a ... readsheet/. Works well, you just have to read the instructions on the webpage. Manual entry, but once you get it all in, you should be good to go.

Also, Personal Capital does a decent job with allocation and will pull straight from your brokerage once you give them access.
Thank you, that looks like exactly what I was looking for! I was able to create one in Vanguard using Portfolio Watch. I could add Outside Investments. For some of the proprietary funds without ticker symbols, I put in the equivalent positions in a comparable fund, just to get the asset allocation. I think I can see my big picture investment asset allocation now.