Boglehead Cellphone carrier

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Mel Lindauer

Re: Boglehead Cellphone carrier

Post by Mel Lindauer »

michaeljc70 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:57 am I don't know if anyone pointed this out yet, but consider taxes and fees. Where I live the taxes/fees on a cell plan are high. I've found them way less on the prepaid plans. Like I said above, I am paying $20/mo out the door ($240 for the year). When I had a big 4 plan the taxes/fees alone were around $12/mo.
Yes, taxes and fees can be steep with many plans. Spectrum Mobile offers $29.99 for each of two or more phones with unlimited everything and NO taxes or fees. If I wasn't still on my old business plan, I'd certainly give them a try. (They're already my cable and internet provider.)
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Square_Foot

Post by Square_Foot »

Pete12 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:58 pm
galawdawg wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:33 pm Try a MVNO like Visible. $25/mo unlimited calls, text and data on VZW network.
+ 1 for Visible! Whole family is on and it works great.
+1 for Visible here too. Super easy. I have the whole family on it. You can add Apple Watch for only $5.
wander

Post by wander »

anon_investor wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:47 am
wander wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:33 am There is no other choice for me. Verizon has best coverage in my area.
Not even Visible (which uses the Verizon network)?
It implies that I use pre-paid but on Verizon network. I know what you mean.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

Mr. Buzzkill wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:46 am Mint has worked well and inexpensively for me for unlimited domestic calls, text, data.

One downside: at least in my metropolitan area, the GPS map apps in my IPhone, both Apple Maps and Google Maps, update the current position with Mint very very slowly, making it useless for turn by turn navigation. I’m often a mile past the next turn before the app alerts me to the turn (that I’ve long driven past). I don’t know if it’s deprioritizing MVNO GPS data or if it’s 4G (it wasn’t bad at all on ATT 4G, though, which is also GSM) or a problem with the underlying T-Mobile network in my network (which Mint uses).

Mint has a trial period offer so see how it works for you and you can cancel if needed.
It's the deprioritization. Cell networks in the US have two levels: good and plebe. Nearly everyone on MVNOs is plebe level. The two that I know that aren't are Xfinity if you pay for premium data and US Mobile with a 5G phone. AFAIK, even Visible is deprioritized.
twenty characters

Post by twenty characters »

I've used Ting for many years. They are an MNVO running on T-Mobile's network.

Pricing is low and straightforward. When I have needed technical help, their Canadian workforce has been pleasant and helpful.

If you're comfortable buying a phone and inserting a SIM card without the assistance of store personnel, I think an MNVO is the way to go.
goaties

Post by goaties »

deleted
Last edited by goaties on Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

goaties wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:27 am
exodusNH wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:25 pm
Mr. Buzzkill wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:46 am Mint has worked well and inexpensively for me for unlimited domestic calls, text, data.

One downside: at least in my metropolitan area, the GPS map apps in my IPhone, both Apple Maps and Google Maps, update the current position with Mint very very slowly, making it useless for turn by turn navigation. I’m often a mile past the next turn before the app alerts me to the turn (that I’ve long driven past). I don’t know if it’s deprioritizing MVNO GPS data or if it’s 4G (it wasn’t bad at all on ATT 4G, though, which is also GSM) or a problem with the underlying T-Mobile network in my network (which Mint uses).

Mint has a trial period offer so see how it works for you and you can cancel if needed.
It's the deprioritization. Cell networks in the US have two levels: good and plebe. Nearly everyone on MVNOs is plebe level. The two that I know that aren't are Xfinity if you pay for premium data and US Mobile with a 5G phone. AFAIK, even Visible is deprioritized.
It may not be the cell network. I have two phones: one ancient Samsung and one three-year-old Nokia. I can put them on the same app (LocusFree, for hikers) and walk with a phone in each hand. The old Samsung tracks me beautifully, even under heavy trees. The Nokia, if it can even find me, tracks very poorly. LocusFree uses a locally-stored map. I have cell data shut off during this test.
GPS tracking is really difficult. Aside from the signal being weaker than you can imagine, the data is very noisy. (With just the raw satellite data, the phone gives you a confidence estimate that you're somewhere in a ~60' circle -- 30' matters because that can put you on the other side of the highway!) Google makes this look trivial, but there's A LOT of processing / smoothing going on in the background. The Nokia could have a really crappy GPS chip. Most cell phones also rely on the mobile network to help (assisted GPS.)
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

twenty characters wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:23 am I've used Ting for many years. They are an MNVO running on T-Mobile's network.

Pricing is low and straightforward. When I have needed technical help, their Canadian workforce has been pleasant and helpful.

If you're comfortable buying a phone and inserting a SIM card without the assistance of store personnel, I think an MNVO is the way to go.
Or you can use an MNVO like Xfinity the has storefronts that sell phones, insert SIMs, etc.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

We use T-mobile, $95 for 2 phones with unlimited talk/data. Have been using them for over a decade now. Seems reasonably priced to me and the performance is fine.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Elsebet wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:34 am We use T-mobile, $95 for 2 phones with unlimited talk/data. Have been using them for over a decade now. Seems reasonably priced to me and the performance is fine.
Is that a grandfathered plan?
Ependytis

Post by Ependytis »

I use Tello. Tello offers unlimited text, calls, and 2G data for Internet access and costs only $15/month. How can you beat that unless you need to use more data? The costs have gone so low, it almost doesn't make sense to shop around anymore similar to low-cost index funds.
matti

Post by matti »

I switched to Mint about a month ago and I'm pleased. They had a new sign-up deal where I paid $90 for the first year. After that, it's $15/month for unlimited text and calling and 4 gb hi-speed data/month. I don't use a lot of data and won't come close to ever using 4 gb in a month, but I believe if you hit the 4 gb cap, your speeds are slowed. It might be worth a look to see if they have a family plan that meets your needs.
thedane

Post by thedane »

https://www.mintmobile.com/ - $15 /month. Used it for 2+ years. ZERO issues.
investor4life

Post by investor4life »

Verizon with ~2TB (yes terabytes) per month (1TB new per month plus another almost 1TB in carryover). $96/month out the door for two lines. (Increasing by $12/month next month.) Not very BH but the service is flawless.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

investor4life wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:02 pm Verizon with ~2TB (yes terabytes) per month (1TB new per month plus another almost 1TB in carryover). $96/month out the door for two lines. (Increasing by $12/month next month.) Not very BH but the service is flawless.
How much of that data do you use? I only use around 1/2 TB on my home internet. And that is with streaming a lot of tv/YouTube.
investor4life

Post by investor4life »

michaeljc70 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:04 pm
investor4life wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:02 pm Verizon with ~2TB (yes terabytes) per month (1TB new per month plus another almost 1TB in carryover). $96/month out the door for two lines. (Increasing by $12/month next month.) Not very BH but the service is flawless.
How much of that data do you use? I only use around 1/2 TB on my home internet. And that is with streaming a lot of tv/YouTube.
About 4GB/month. We were on the shared 5GB plan and then got this offer for 1TB/month for an extra $5. So it is basically unlimited for us. I have toyed with the idea of doing away with home internet and hot-spotting off a phone (we use about 250GB/month on Xfinity) but have not made that leap yet.
keystone

Post by keystone »

My wife and I have have been on a 2 line plan with Total Wireless (Verizon MVNO) the last couple of years. $60/mo and 30 gb of shared data. Service has been flawless and zero gimmicks. Perhaps not the cheapest plan out there, but the plan works very well for us.

I know Visible is popular but I had issues with texts not being sent and received. It appeared to be some type of fluky issue with Pixel 3 phones and Visible at the time. I discovered others were having similar issues through various forums and it seemed like Pixel phones were the common denominator.
Hoosier CPA

Post by Hoosier CPA »

Sounds like US mobile might be worth looking into. We have verizon postpaid - use our phones a lot for work and also travel a lot over rural areas so I'd be nervous about using something that is deprioritized. I don't know much about all of this but feel like we pay too much for what we use.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

investor4life wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:09 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:04 pm
About 4GB/month. We were on the shared 5GB plan and then got this offer for 1TB/month for an extra $5. So it is basically unlimited for us. I have toyed with the idea of doing away with home internet and hot-spotting off a phone (we use about 250GB/month on Xfinity) but have not made that leap yet.
Since you have Xfinity internet, maybe you should consider Xfinity mobile. We switched to it years ago, and no issue. We use under 1GB of data, and we're grandfathered at $12/mo + tax or about $17.50/mo for 2 lines. I think you can have 2 lines on the Verizon network, plus 10GB of shared data, for $60 + tax.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

Hoosier CPA wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:18 pm

Sounds like US mobile might be worth looking into. We have verizon postpaid - use our phones a lot for work and also travel a lot over rural areas so I'd be nervous about using something that is deprioritized. I don't know much about all of this but feel like we pay too much for what we use.
Deprioritization is less of an issue in rural areas. It kills you at malls, when stuck in traffic, or at sportsball events, and concerts.

And yes, you pay too much. Verizon doesn't have real competition; their prices reflect that.
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

thedane wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:51 pm https://www.mintmobile.com/ - $15 /month. Used it for 2+ years. ZERO issues.
+1 1 1/2 years here
Mr. Buzzkill

Post by Mr. Buzzkill »

But I don’t understand why the GPS app data updating would be so much worse than for other apps, to the point of making GPS navigation useless.
A strategy that works only in bull markets isn’t much of a strategy. Anyway, four dollars a pound.
GreenLawn

Post by GreenLawn »

I've had good reception with Google Fi and they gave me a great deal on a new Samsung phone for signing up. During my admittedly minimal travels they've provided better service than my previous Verizon service.

They can be expensive if you use more than a minimal amount of cellular data. 10 bucks a Gig, no free data included in their base plan of 20/mo.

I've been able to keep my cellular data usage to around a gig a month, but it is annoying to have to be mindful of data usage. I see Mint is getting good reviews, I've never heard of them, but if Google Maps doesn't work well with them, that's a deal breaker. Hard to believe they can provide good service with that pricing, but if it's month to month, may be worth trying.
ronno2018

Post by ronno2018 »

I have my daughter on Mint, she likes it a lot but that T-Mobile 55+ sounds great if it includes international coverage (if you travel internationally, which I intend to do).
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

Mint Mobile $30 a month unlimited talk, text, and data.

TravelforFun
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

GreenLawn wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:17 pm I've had good reception with Google Fi and they gave me a great deal on a new Samsung phone for signing up. During my admittedly minimal travels they've provided better service than my previous Verizon service.

They can be expensive if you use more than a minimal amount of cellular data. 10 bucks a Gig, no free data included in their base plan of 20/mo.

I've been able to keep my cellular data usage to around a gig a month, but it is annoying to have to be mindful of data usage. I see Mint is getting good reviews, I've never heard of them, but if Google Maps doesn't work well with them, that's a deal breaker. Hard to believe they can provide good service with that pricing, but if it's month to month, may be worth trying.
I have Mint and have no problem using Google Maps.

TravelforFun
KneeReplacementTutor

Post by KneeReplacementTutor »

Another Tello customer.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

Mr. Buzzkill wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:10 pm

But I don’t understand why the GPS app data updating would be so much worse than for other apps, to the point of making GPS navigation useless.
Navigation is a very complex problem. GPS data is super noisy and most cell phones rely on the cellular towers the help (assisted GPS, often abbreviated AGPS.) Maps are also pulling down a ton of data. Google et al. need to overlay the nonsense GPS data over terrain, taking into consideration your speed and direction. It's really a minor miracle it works as well as it does.

GPS is also very weak. In the city, you often can't get a clear signal.

Data prioritization works by putting everyone in a queue. The people who aren't subject to it get serviced before it gets around to you. Think the London traffic circle scene in European Vacation.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

exodusNH wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:17 pm
Mr. Buzzkill wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:10 pm

Navigation is a very complex problem. GPS data is super noisy and most cell phones rely on the cellular towers the help (assisted GPS, often abbreviated AGPS.) Maps are also pulling down a ton of data. Google et al. need to overlay the nonsense GPS data over terrain, taking into consideration your speed and direction. It's really a minor miracle it works as well as it does.

GPS is also very weak. In the city, you often can't get a clear signal.

Data prioritization works by putting everyone in a queue. The people who aren't subject to it get serviced before it gets around to you. Think the London traffic circle scene in European Vacation.
With Google Maps, you can download maps for specific areas. I have the greater metro area downloaded where I live. When I travel, whether inside or outside the country, I also download the maps before I leave on my home wifi. Obviously, getting traffic info, road closures, etc. is all real-time and uses data.

I worked in IT for a company that sold mapping data to many car manufacturers, Garmin, etc. and it is fascinating how it all works.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

michaeljc70 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:27 pm With Google Maps, you can download maps for specific areas. I have the greater metro area downloaded where I live. When I travel, whether inside or outside the country, I also download the maps before I leave on my home wifi. Obviously, getting traffic info, road closures, etc. is all real-time and uses data.

I worked in IT for a company that sold mapping data to many car manufacturers, Garmin, etc. and it is fascinating how it all works.
8 or so years ago, I was working on a mobile app that was using location data. With a strong GPS signal, you'd be jumping around in 15' increments when standing still. And if the GPS signal faded during a read? You'd rocket 1 kilometer to the nearest cell phone tower. The amount of data smoothing and integration with validated, static data someone like Google needs to do to show your car travelling smoothly on a highway is not appreciated by the greater public.
Nate7out

Post by Nate7out »

I'm about to switch to Mint so I'll let you know. I was on Republic wireless for years (thanks MMM). They recently changed some things, the main one being you can't get MMS messages after you used up your data, even when on Wifi. I was on the 1Gb plan and had to pay for extra data to download a couple group texts. That caused me to switch.

It used to be great, up until last year they had a teacher discount so we would pay $200/yr total for two lines.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

nura wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:00 am I had Mint for 2 years now. $200/year including taxes and fees; 5G in US metros, included Wifi calling allows to me send and received calls and texts anywhere in the world using US number - a must for MFA with accounts like Vanguard while travelling internationally
I have Google Voice (on Mint service) so if you or anyone else can clarify a couple things, I'd appreciate it. With Mint, would you only get message/calls if on Wifi or also if you had another SIM active (like a temporary foreign one)? Is there any ability to get a transcript of voicemails? I get that with GV automatically so I never listen to messages, but I've had GV so long I don't know what is normal with carriers.
nura

Post by nura »

michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:47 pm
nura wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:00 am I had Mint for 2 years now. $200/year including taxes and fees; 5G in US metros, included Wifi calling allows to me send and received calls and texts anywhere in the world using US number - a must for MFA with accounts like Vanguard while travelling internationally
I have Google Voice (on Mint service) so if you or anyone else can clarify a couple things, I'd appreciate it. With Mint, would you only get message/calls if on Wifi or also if you had another SIM active (like a temporary foreign one)? Is there any ability to get a transcript of voicemails? I get that with GV automatically so I never listen to messages, but I've had GV so long I don't know what is normal with carriers.
Mint has the ability to receive text even when the phone was offline when the message was sent. If you are offline at the time of incoming voice call, call will go to VM. I have enabled wifi hotspot on second phone
with local(international) SIM, the Mint phone exactly behaves as in US. Having a second SIM on the same phone should be similar.
Google pixel seems to do good job of transcribing VM.
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

Elsebet wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:34 am We use T-mobile, $95 for 2 phones with unlimited talk/data. Have been using them for over a decade now. Seems reasonably priced to me and the performance is fine.
If you don't use tons of data, Ting runs on the T-mobile network and the cheapest plans are just $10 per phone.
45% Total Stock Market | 52% Consumer Staples | 3% Short Term Reserves
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Just FYI you can download several hundred square miles of Google Maps directly onto your phone so the only data you use is loading the directions.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

Jags4186 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:41 am Just FYI you can download several hundred square miles of Google Maps directly onto your phone so the only data you use is loading the directions.
I just wish they had a better system for this, like picking the states that you want to download.

I also wish that once I have downloaded an area, Google would not decide that I no longer need it and remove it from my phone, without even asking.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

jeffyscott wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:26 pm
Jags4186 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:41 am Just FYI you can download several hundred square miles of Google Maps directly onto your phone so the only data you use is loading the directions.
I just wish they had a better system for this, like picking the states that you want to download.

I also wish that once I have downloaded an area, Google would not decide that I no longer need it and remove it from my phone, without even asking.
If you look at your downloaded maps it tells you how long they keep it for and you can click update for them to keep them longer.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

anon_investor wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:35 pm

If you look at your downloaded maps it tells you how long they keep it for and you can click update for them to keep them longer.
I had them all set to auto update, but they all disappeared anyway.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

jeffyscott wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:38 pm
anon_investor wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:35 pm

I had them all set to auto update, but they all disappeared anyway.
I didn't know auto update was an option. Maybe because it's broken? The correct term might be reauthorize and not update.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

My father drives from Chicago to Denver multiple times a year. There is very poor/no cell coverage in some areas. There was no easy way to download the map to his phone. It wasn't rocket science, but I had to download it in several chunks. I think it took 5 or more to get the job done. If the chunks don't overlap and there is no cell coverage you have no map for that area.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

michaeljc70 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:55 pm

My father drives from Chicago to Denver multiple times a year. There is very poor/no cell coverage in some areas. There was no easy way to download the map to his phone. It wasn't rocket science, but I had to download it in several chunks. I think it took 5 or more to get the job done. If the chunks don't overlap and there is no cell coverage you have no map for that area.
Yep, it's an annoying process.

I had about 9 maps downloaded, then suddenly there were none. I think what happens is the autoupdate process is unreliable and doesn't always complete itself and then google sees that a map is 30 days old and just deletes it, without warning or input from the phone's owner. Would it really be so hard for the system to send a notification: "downloaded map X will deleted, if not updated by ____"? And why do they feel a need to delete them anyway?

Other navigation apps, like "here", let you pick maps to download by state and do not require you to update in order to avoid automatic deletion. But the maps and navigation are not as good and can't be used via Android Auto.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

Afty wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:20 pm
This was my experience on Visible as well. Data would become completely unusable in even moderately crowded places like the mall or an amusement park. Visible seemed to also do some site specific throttling that made it feel slow even when not throttled. For example, I might get a 200+ Mbps speed test, but Instagram would load slowly and show posts one by one.

I switched to US Mobile and have been much happier. I pay slightly more for limited data, but it actually works.
I was getting horrible throttling in crowded areas with Verizon pre-paid unlimited at $60. I dumped them for Visible for same service at $25/mo. I like Verizon/Visible a lor more than ATT/TMaybe because they do have the highest quality coverage nationwide and a strong signal where it is most important to us.
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
Ricecakes

Post by Ricecakes »

Phinance wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:26 pm Frustrated with Verizon, really with all cellphone companies, all non-transparent pricing with gimmicks. We are a family of 2 looking for unlimited text/call and reliable coverage, any recommendations? I’m guessing my options are:
1) Verizon (sigh)
2) T mobile
3) AT&T
4) Google FI

Any experience with any of these, any BH like carrier?

Thank you in advance.
We’ve been using a prepaid service called T-Mobile Connect. $15/ month plus taxes comes in at $16.32/ month. It includes unlimited calls and text and 3GB data/ month. Good coverage in my area and no lagging when browsing. The data is capped but any unused data rolls over to the next month. We don’t use data a great deal as we’re on wifi most of the time so this works well for us.
Topic Author
PhinanceMD

Post by PhinanceMD »

Thank you all. Went with Mint Mobile, so far so good :)
60/30/10
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I know the OP got Mint, but for others considering Mint there is a really good deal: Mint Mobile: 128GB Google Pixel 6a + 12-Month Prepaid Plan
$339.
Starbase

Post by Starbase »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:09 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:57 am I don't know if anyone pointed this out yet, but consider taxes and fees. Where I live the taxes/fees on a cell plan are high. I've found them way less on the prepaid plans. Like I said above, I am paying $20/mo out the door ($240 for the year). When I had a big 4 plan the taxes/fees alone were around $12/mo.
Yes, taxes and fees can be steep with many plans. Spectrum Mobile offers $29.99 for each of two or more phones with unlimited everything and NO taxes or fees. If I wasn't still on my old business plan, I'd certainly give them a try. (They're already my cable and internet provider.)
Verizon for me and Metro PCS for the rest of my family. Verizon comes in handy when we are on road trips and they don’t have service but I do.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Tello is great. Cheap, works great if T-Mobile has coverage in our area.
KNMLHD

Post by KNMLHD »

Vulcan wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:48 am
VG81 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:37 pm We have the Google Fi Flexible plan with 3 lines, which includes unlimited calls & text for $50 + data + taxes/fees. If we use no data, then the cost is $50 + $13.36 taxes/fees = $63.36 for one month. Data is $10/gigabyte. We seldom use data since we have WiFi in the house and so many places we go have free WiFi. I also like the built in VPN and spam blocking. If you use a lot of data, another plan or company may be a better deal.
Their new unlimited plans are hard to beat, especially for multiple lines.

https://fi.google.com/about/plans
I had some questions about Google Fi & Mint. We currently have iPhone 12+ Max phones, and have a shared (across 2 lines) 4GB data plan (Verizon) which we rarely use unless having to take a work video conf call while off wifi. Verizon just imposed an added $12 fee to "maintain older plans", which has pushed me to start looking.

Anyone know if T-Mobile prioritizes their traffic over Google Fi or Mint? I realize once you cross over the 35GB or 50GB (depending on plan) data will get throttled.

I'm assuming with Google Fi, you can move between the "Simply Unlimited" and the "Unlimited Plus" plan at will. Is that correct? I was thinking about the scenario when traveling overseas, jumping up to the "Unlimited Plus" plan to get free international data would be a plus.

On Google Fi, From what I read, the automatic VPN on public wifi is limited to only "Made for Google Fi phones" - is that correct? Looks like mainly limited to Google phones and not applicable to Apple devices. If iOS devices are supported, that would be a nice & handy feature to have.

Ability to do Wi-Fi calling and iOS MMS are "must haves"... I believe those are both supported on Google Fi, but wanted to double check.

Looks like the big difference between Google Fi and Mint is around international data... any other big differences between the two?
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

KNMLHD wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:26 am
Vulcan wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:48 am
VG81 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:37 pm We have the Google Fi Flexible plan with 3 lines, which includes unlimited calls & text for $50 + data + taxes/fees. If we use no data, then the cost is $50 + $13.36 taxes/fees = $63.36 for one month. Data is $10/gigabyte. We seldom use data since we have WiFi in the house and so many places we go have free WiFi. I also like the built in VPN and spam blocking. If you use a lot of data, another plan or company may be a better deal.
Their new unlimited plans are hard to beat, especially for multiple lines.

https://fi.google.com/about/plans
I had some questions about Google Fi & Mint. We currently have iPhone 12+ Max phones, and have a shared (across 2 lines) 4GB data plan (Verizon) which we rarely use unless having to take a work video conf call while off wifi. Verizon just imposed an added $12 fee to "maintain older plans", which has pushed me to start looking.

Anyone know if T-Mobile prioritizes their traffic over Google Fi or Mint? I realize once you cross over the 35GB or 50GB (depending on plan) data will get throttled.

I'm assuming with Google Fi, you can move between the "Simply Unlimited" and the "Unlimited Plus" plan at will. Is that correct? I was thinking about the scenario when traveling overseas, jumping up to the "Unlimited Plus" plan to get free international data would be a plus.

On Google Fi, From what I read, the automatic VPN on public wifi is limited to only "Made for Google Fi phones" - is that correct? Looks like mainly limited to Google phones and not applicable to Apple devices. If iOS devices are supported, that would be a nice & handy feature to have.

Ability to do Wi-Fi calling and iOS MMS are "must haves"... I believe those are both supported on Google Fi, but wanted to double check.

Looks like the big difference between Google Fi and Mint is around international data... any other big differences between the two?
Yes. Google Fi works on T-Mobile, Sprint, and U.S. Cellular. Mint works on T-mobile. Google Fi costs way more than Mint, especially if you use a good amount of data. I paid $250 for a year of Mint with 10GB. On Fi that would be more like $600+ for one line.
KNMLHD

Post by KNMLHD »

michaeljc70 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:43 am Yes. Google Fi works on T-Mobile, Sprint, and U.S. Cellular. Mint works on T-mobile. Google Fi costs way more than Mint, especially if you use a good amount of data. I paid $250 for a year of Mint with 10GB. On Fi that would be more like $600+ for one line.
T-Mobile and Sprint are the same network now… no? I only ask from coverage perspective and wondering if you’re suggesting Mint is not leveraging Sprint’s old assets/towers.

I need to research about the little nuances between the two… whether one or the other is impacted by T-mobile prioritizing their traffic over Google Fi/Mint, wi-fi calling and iOS mms support, international calling, etc etc…

In the end, Google Fi would be cheaper than what we were originally paying prior to the $12/month surcharge which also included a corporate discount. So either way would be ahead of the game.

I do appreciate highlighting the delta though. Now if Mint came with a bottle of Aviation Gin… :happy I’m kidding of course.