Boglehead Cellphone carrier

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
PhinanceMD

Boglehead Cellphone carrier

Post by PhinanceMD »

Frustrated with Verizon, really with all cellphone companies, all non-transparent pricing with gimmicks. We are a family of 2 looking for unlimited text/call and reliable coverage, any recommendations? I’m guessing my options are:
1) Verizon (sigh)
2) T mobile
3) AT&T
4) Google FI

Any experience with any of these, any BH like carrier?

Thank you in advance.
60/30/10
treypar

Re: Boglehead Cellphone carrier

Post by treypar »

I use consumer cellular with no problems. It is very low priced and I get a AAA discount.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

Try a MVNO like Visible. $25/mo unlimited calls, text and data on VZW network.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Tello.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

runner3081 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:34 pmTello.
+1 for Tello!
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

Cricket Wireless. Unlimited talk and text, $35, 10 GB cellular data. There is no charge if you go over the 10 GB, they'll just slow you down and it will reset at the beginning of your next billing cycle.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
Pete12

Post by Pete12 »

galawdawg wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:33 pm Try a MVNO like Visible. $25/mo unlimited calls, text and data on VZW network.
+ 1 for Visible! Whole family is on and it works great.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

Phinance wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:26 pm Frustrated with Verizon, really with all cellphone companies, all non-transparent pricing with gimmicks. We are a family of 2 looking for unlimited text/call and reliable coverage, any recommendations? I’m guessing my options are:
1) Verizon (sigh)
2) T mobile
3) AT&T
4) Google FI

Thank you in advance.
One thing to keep in mind with the Verizon MVNO route is that you will be "deprioritized". Verizon uses two quality levels "priority" and "plebe". All MVNOs are currently plebe level except Xfinity if you pay for premium data and US Mobile if you have a 5G phone. (I'm fairly certain this is true for Visible as well, which is owned by Verizon.)

Plebe level really, really sucks in you're ever in even a mildly congested area. The performance is so bad you can't even do basic web browsing.

You may also lose out on Canada/Mexico calling and texts as well as roaming. If you don't ever leave the US, that's not a problem.

I'm not sure what the experience is with the GSM providers. In NH, Verizon has the overall superior coverage. But I have a friend in Google Fi (which is really a rebrand of Tucows' Ting service.) He likes it just fine, but spends more time in MA where GSM vs Verizon is a more equal experience.

I put my mother on US Mobile 18 months ago. It's been fine. I just switched my phone from Verizon postpaid to US Mobile. I haven't gone anywhere yet, but it's been uneventful once the number port went through. (There was some snafu with the port due to moving from physical SIM to eSIM. It took 5 days to sort out.)

If you have 5G, you can try out US Mobile for 10 days for free.
SunnySideUp

Post by SunnySideUp »

There are many useful BHF threads on this topic; a new one seems to spring up at least weekly.

A favorite web resource for evaluating the full spectrum of current MVNO offerings (which I might not have mentioned in previous threads; I have no affiliation):

https://prepaidcompare.net/

P.S. I (and the other 3 adults in my household) left a Cricket family plan about 10 months ago and rolled into independent stints with Visible, which we consider to provide great value and more than adequate service. The unlimited hotspot Visible feature (I experience a 10Mbps cap) has proven a boon at various times; when traveling, it often renders hotel WiFi largely superfluous.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

Phinance wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:26 pm 1) Verizon (sigh)
2) T mobile
3) AT&T
4) Google FI
One of these things doesn't belong here...

The first three are the actual network operators. Google FI is just another MVNO, apparently using the Verizon network, based on the post above about it indicating it is a rebrand of Ting.

Each network operator has their own service and then there are many MVNO's using each of them.

In recent years we have used: Tello, Red Pocket, and Tracfone. Tracfone is pretty "gimicky" with a lot a deals, complicated choices, etc. The other two are pretty simple to understand with pretty much set pricing. Tello uses the T-mobile network. Red Pocket can be any of the three, your choice.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

We've had good success with prepaid Verizon service.
The Sensible Steward
mary1492

Post by mary1492 »

Last edited by mary1492 on Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
bowtieman81

Post by bowtieman81 »

Wife and I have been using Ting for over 6 years now with no complaints. Their newer plan includes unlimited talk/text and you can pick your data. our monthly bill with them is typically $30-35 for both phones.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

We're using Consumer Cellular, paying around $75/month for unlimited calls/texts/Internet for two lines. They have cheaper plans if you think you'll only use limited amounts of any of these.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
feh

Post by feh »

tello.com
SconnieBro

Post by SconnieBro »

We switched from Sprint to Mint Mobile about six months ago. We were nervous we would regret it but there have been no regrets for my wife or I. It’s incredible how much we’re saving every month. We’ve also had no issues whatsoever with being “deprioritized”.
armeliusc

Post by armeliusc »

Mint mobile. No gimmick, straight pricing, works well.
miket29

Post by miket29 »

Cricket Wireless. Unlimited talk and text, $35, 10 GB cellular data. There is no charge if you go over the 10 GB, they'll just slow you down and it will reset at the beginning of your next billing cycle.
We had Cricket for many years and were happy with them. AT&T owns them so it's really the AT&T network under a different brand name. Ended up switching this year to Google Fi since we were making a trip overseas and international roaming is simply not available with Cricket.
lakpr

Post by lakpr »

Another vote for MINT. $15 per month for the first six months (unlimited talk and text, 4GB per month data plan; with most of our data requirements being met with Wi-Fi, we really don't see a need for anything more than 4 GB). After 6 months, if you are satisfied with the coverage, you can prepay 1 year at a time at the same $15 per month rate. We (both spouse and I) are on third year now with MINT.
CorradoJr

Post by CorradoJr »

I've used Page Plus for about 10 years after reading about it on the Howard Forums. It's on the Verizon network and service has been really great for what it is. Might not be as competitive now - it's $30 for 3 GB, $40 for 8 GB, and $55 for unlimited.

Have been through 3 iphones on the service (iPhone 4, iPhone 6s, and now an iPhone 13). No issues and you can use the chat feature online to contact with customer service. I live in the Mid-Atlantic region and they do not advertise around here so everyone gives me a very strange look when I tell them my carrier is Page Plus.

One "bonus" with most prepaid plans is you can find independent dealers offering monthly "top up" cards for 3-5% off. It's a game but you can almost always find a coupon or get on a email list and receive discounts. One con is sometimes have to "load" the new PIN (monthly access) to the phone every month. If you forget, you won't have service!

One plus is there are usually no extra "fees" in the monthly price (no E911 fee, taxes, etc.)

Finally, what I've resorted to is getting on an "autoload" plan where you authorize a dealer or PagePlus themselves to autoload your next monthly subscription to your phone so there no remembering to do it. Unfortunately PagePlus does tack on all of the fees if you go this route (but I'm sure if you have a dealer do it, you might avoid the fees.) So essentially even though I use a pre-paid plan/carrier, my service is now interrupted and continuous from month to month.
MGBMartin

Post by MGBMartin »

Another vote for Mint.
$15 per month if you pay for 1 year.
Simple and easy to switch and setup.
Was with T-Mobile before but they wouldn’t provision my SIM for Wi-Fi calling on my own purchased phone, said they didn’t support it on that phone.
With Mint I’m still on the T-Mobile network and Wi-Fi calling works fine with them.
Bad spellers of the world untie | Autocorrect is my worst enema
student

Post by student »

Tmobile old geezer plan. I like that they give unlimited (3G) international data.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Phinance wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:26 pm Frustrated with Verizon, really with all cellphone companies, all non-transparent pricing with gimmicks. We are a family of 2 looking for unlimited text/call and reliable coverage, any recommendations? I’m guessing my options are:
1) Verizon (sigh)
2) T mobile
3) AT&T
4) Google FI

Thank you in advance.
You have to be more specific in your requirements. For example some differentiators seem to be coverage/rates outside the U.S., and use of your data for hotspot purposes. Also the exact location where you use your devices may dictate which providers will work acceptably or not.

What "gimmicks" exactly are you objecting to? A gimmick to one person might be an important feature to someone else.
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

I use AT&T and pay an "un-BH" amount... around $100.
everything is unlimited and also includes tethering and HBO max... also includes my Apple Watch.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

Freefun wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:11 pm I use AT&T and pay an "un-BH" amount... around $100.
everything is unlimited and also includes tethering and HBO max... also includes my Apple Watch.
I also use AT&T. I’ve been very happy with the quality. I’m sure quality is partially a function of locale.
cjcerny

Post by cjcerny »

$15 a month on Mint Mobile. No problems whatsoever.
Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 »

Topic moved to Personal Consumer Issues.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Age? We're on the T-Mobile 55+ plan, 2 lines @ $60/mo. for almost 10 years. Unlimited text, data, phone, international coverage (excellent in Europe) , etc. Zero issues.
ktdintex

Post by ktdintex »

XFinity Mobile is another option. It also is a reseller on the Verizon network and $40 / month for 20 GB. I was on it for more than a year but switched back to Verizon because I needed more data. Also, if you're a mobile hotspot user, XFinity mobile throttles hotspot speed to less than 1 MB/S, which is almost unusable.
SpinPsycholer

Post by SpinPsycholer »

Had Visible for a year, but wasn’t happy with the data deprioritization while traveling which meant with 4 bars of signal, web pages would not load. Switched to Verizon 5G Play more plan. I save money by combining my internet and Apple Watch on the plan AND use CircledIn.com to keep the price low. I actually am the Verizon owner for my circle. I pay less now total, mainly due to getting the internet for $25/mo by having the mobile plan. I have 8 people on my mobile plan (circle) and pay about $45/mo, plus $9 for the Apple Watch. Not everyone would want to go this path to save some money, but I’m retired so its a hobby. Verizon data works fine now.
Last edited by SpinPsycholer on Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't feel entitled to anything you didn't sweat and struggle for." -Marian Wright Edelman
mikejuss

Post by mikejuss »

Metro PCS.
50% VTSAX | 25% VTIAX | 25% VBTLX (retirement), 25% VTEAX (taxable)
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

Mint Mobile, $240 for 12 months ($20/month) with 10 GB of data and unlimited talk & text.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

We have 3 unlimited Google Fi lines for $75 plus tax. Has been good so far.

One thing for OP to consider is signal strength in his house and places he frequents. Not all networks are equal. Some providers do allow for WiFi calling which can help.
VG81

Post by VG81 »

We have the Google Fi Flexible plan with 3 lines, which includes unlimited calls & text for $50 + data + taxes/fees. If we use no data, then the cost is $50 + $13.36 taxes/fees = $63.36 for one month. Data is $10/gigabyte. We seldom use data since we have WiFi in the house and so many places we go have free WiFi. I also like the built in VPN and spam blocking. If you use a lot of data, another plan or company may be a better deal.
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

We are over 55.
We picked T-Mobile for worldwide service.
We get off the plane in Italia and our phones just work.
Very satisfied.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

jeffyscott wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:35 pm
Phinance wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:26 pm 1) Verizon (sigh)
2) T mobile
3) AT&T
4) Google FI
One of these things doesn't belong here...

The first three are the actual network operators. Google FI is just another MVNO, apparently using the Verizon network, based on the post above about it indicating it is a rebrand of Ting.

Each network operator has their own service and then there are many MVNO's using each of them.

In recent years we have used: Tello, Red Pocket, and Tracfone. Tracfone is pretty "gimicky" with a lot a deals, complicated choices, etc. The other two are pretty simple to understand with pretty much set pricing. Tello uses the T-mobile network. Red Pocket can be any of the three, your choice.
I have been looking at TMobile 55+ unlimited plan . $55/month for two phones + taxes/fees for unlimited talk/text/data. My brother uses it and likes it .

My wife and I use Google Fi and TracFone and buy unlocked phones

Google Fi uses Sprint, US Cellular, TMobile and wireless Ethernet at least where I live. Google Fi just works everywhere I went in Europe, no issues. Data would be expensive if you use much,but you only pay for what you use.

TracFone has worked well in the US for us. I just bought 2 years of service for $176 counting taxes/fees. This came with 1500 min, 1500 texts and 1.5 GB of data over the two years, which tacks on to the over 6000 min /texts and 7 GB of data I have accumulated over by the years . The TracFone is great as a backup phone. I needed to give my boss my personal cellphone# when I got a 2 level promotion and 30% raise. I have him the cheap phone number .

My wife is moving to the unlimited talk/text TracFone plan for $200/year which comes with 12GB of data, and an extra 8GB of data costs $40. That will be cheaper for her use.
cacophony

Post by cacophony »

Useful site for comparing plans: https://prepaidcompare.net/

I've never had transparency issues with any prepaid plans. The decision for me has been more about network quality in the area, how de-prioritization affects quality of service, cost, etc

FWIW, I've been using Red Pocket plans (1 year plans bought from eBay) for the past 4 years and it's been Ok. I used them on the ATT network for most of that time but recently switched to their Verizon network after having some ATT reliability issues. I've tried various T Mobile MVNOs in the past (including Tello about 6 months ago) and have never been happy with the more limited network coverage.
majasan

Post by majasan »

Tello
Fat-Tailed Contagion

Post by Fat-Tailed Contagion »

Patriot Mobile is EXCELLENT.

Many Service Options based upon how much Data you use and transparent.

https://shop.patriotmobile.com/pages/mc ... calculator
“The intelligent investor is a realist who sells to optimists and buys from pessimists.” | ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor (75/25 - 50/50 - 25/75)
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

majasan wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:18 amTello
I plan to move my in-laws over to Tello after they use up their credits at Republic Wireless.
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

Depending on the coverage of where you live, but a MVNO is a good choice.
US Mobile for Verizon or Mint for T mobile. I personally use US Mobile pooled plan for 2 lines ($20.96/mo for a shared 1 Gb, then $2/ extra Gb if needed during the month)
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
wander

Post by wander »

There is no other choice for me. Verizon has best coverage in my area.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

BogleMelon wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:31 am Depending on the coverage of where you live, but a MVNO is a good choice.
US Mobile for Verizon or Mint for T mobile. I personally use US Mobile pooled plan for 2 lines ($20.96/mo for a shared 1 Gb, then $2/ extra Gb if needed during the month)
Yep, Mint and US Mobile are the best MVNOs for probably 90%+ of users. Mint was the default choice for a long time, but I like US Mobile's flexibility since it's month to month - if you only need 5 GB one month and unlimited the next, it's definitely the way to go.
zlandar

Post by zlandar »

Visible. Anyone can join a party pay for $25/month per user. Join this one if you don't know any Visible members:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Visible/commen ... ase_go_to/

$25 includes all taxes. You get unlimited data and hotspot. Hotspot limited to 10mbps. I get good coverage and live in a mix of rural/suburban.

ATT is my only other option. T-Mobile is way too limited for rural use.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

wander wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:33 am There is no other choice for me. Verizon has best coverage in my area.
Not even Visible (which uses the Verizon network)?
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

anon_investor wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:47 am
wander wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:33 am There is no other choice for me. Verizon has best coverage in my area.
Not even Visible (which uses the Verizon network)?
As does Tracfone (now owned by Verizon). Verizon is also available with Red Pocket and many others.
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

We switched to Consumer Cellular in 2019, 2 of us was about $40. With AT&T card. I moved to prepaid AT&T in Dec 2021 for our trip to Mexico, stayed with it. DH's bill is $23 a month, mine is $300 a year, and I can create a hotspot if needed when camping. AARP discount on Consumer Cellular.
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

deleted
Last edited by AerialWombat on Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This post is a work of fiction. Any similarity to real financial advice is purely coincidental.
Mr. Buzzkill

Post by Mr. Buzzkill »

Mint has worked well and inexpensively for me for unlimited domestic calls, text, data.

One downside: at least in my metropolitan area, the GPS map apps in my IPhone, both Apple Maps and Google Maps, update the current position with Mint very very slowly, making it useless for turn by turn navigation. I’m often a mile past the next turn before the app alerts me to the turn (that I’ve long driven past). I don’t know if it’s deprioritizing MVNO GPS data or if it’s 4G (it wasn’t bad at all on ATT 4G, though, which is also GSM) or a problem with the underlying T-Mobile network in my network (which Mint uses).

Mint has a trial period offer so see how it works for you and you can cancel if needed.
A strategy that works only in bull markets isn’t much of a strategy. Anyway, four dollars a pound.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Mr. Buzzkill wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:46 am Mint has worked well and inexpensively for me for unlimited domestic calls, text, data.

One downside: at least in my metropolitan area, the GPS map apps in my IPhone, both Apple Maps and Google Maps, update the current position with Mint very very slowly, making it useless for turn by turn navigation. I’m often a mile past the next turn before the app alerts me to the turn (that I’ve long driven past). I don’t know if it’s deprioritizing MVNO GPS data or if it’s 4G (it wasn’t bad at all on ATT 4G, though, which is also GSM) or a problem with the underlying T-Mobile network in my network (which Mint uses).

Mint has a trial period offer so see how it works for you and you can cancel if needed.
Have you tried to download the local map to your google maps app? When I go camping some areas have spotty reception, so downloading the app for the area helps for the navigation.