Vanguard closing fund prices link is useless

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
fsrph

Vanguard closing fund prices link is useless

Post by fsrph »

Had a link to Vanguard funds closing prices saved. Clicked on it today and different page came up which was useless.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... K8mYUAYnCX

Anyone know if the old page listing closing prices by fund category is still available?

Francis
Last edited by fsrph on Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
jebmke

Re: Vanguard closing fund prices link

Post by jebmke »

I had exact same experience earlier today. Use to be decent info all on one page. Useless now. Almost have to stand on the other side of the room due to the toy fonts.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
50/50

Post by 50/50 »

fsrph wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:15 am Had a link to Vanguard funds closing prices saved. Clicked on it today and different page came up which was useless.

Anyone know if the old page listing closing prices by fund category is still available?

Francis
Look at the "Financial Advisers" (top left hand corner of the sign on page) link instead of Personal Investors. Somewhat better after clicking explore products and still more clicking but still a pain.
Thou shalt take no risks that thou needest not take. Seek wisdom not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future.
MadHungarian

Post by MadHungarian »

Me too. The new page is almost worthless and very annoying.

The aggravating thing is that there seems to be no way these days to complain to Vanguard.

Ah well, i suppose i shouldn't really be checking the fund prices very often anyway...
John Z

Re: Vanguard closing fund prices link is useless

Post by John Z »

Yes, it's unbelievable that VG could take something so simple and concise on one page and blow it up to over 200 pages, and, over 25 screen shots for each fund! And further frustrating that there is no real feedback loop that I can find other than a private message.

To continue my feelings about new and improved websites and web pages, the trend seems to be style and attractiveness rather than usability like in previous years.

Thanks 50/50 for that "shortcut".

I guess I will abandon all VG web pages until I need to transact something and then sign in. I can use Morningstar for what I need in the interim.
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

I have all the funds I track in my Watchlist, but I have to login to see it.

I also use the Stocks app on my phone to see how various ETF’s are doing.
invhelpme

Post by invhelpme »

The new page is worthless. Need the old one back with all the information on the same page and scroll down. Too complicated to find anything quickly.
50/50

Post by 50/50 »

invhelpme wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:07 pm The new page is worthless. Need the old one back with all the information on the same page and scroll down. Too complicated to find anything quickly.
Totally agree.
Thou shalt take no risks that thou needest not take. Seek wisdom not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future.
Topic Author
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

50/50 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:03 pm
invhelpme wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:07 pm The new page is worthless. Need the old one back with all the information on the same page and scroll down. Too complicated to find anything quickly.
Totally agree.
I agree too. New page is horrible.
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Create your own list of closing fund prices. Example:
https://finance.yahoo.com/quotes/FFEDX, ... ypass=true
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

Yep, the new page is another horrible step backwards for Vanguard's web interface.
If I make a calculation error, #Cruncher probably will let me know.
celia

Post by celia »

livesoft wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:01 pm Create your own list of closing fund prices. Example:
https://finance.yahoo.com/quotes/FFEDX, ... ypass=true
I’ve done this by downloading the Yahoo Finance app. Then you enter the tickers you are interested in. The last one you enter is always at the top.

Vanguard is apparently changing their user interface to cater to cell phone users. That’s why their fonts are so huge and strange-looking. When you are signed in from a computer and are looking at your accounts, you can toggle between My Accounts—Balances & Holdings (for the old user interface) and Accounts—Account Overview (for the new interface). But if you leave “your” accounts, it seems like you often end up with the new, larger user interface.

As far as seeing closing prices, I’m wondering if the OP gives Vanguard two hours before looking up a fund price. It takes a while for some funds to be calculated. And of course, the funds of funds won’t be correct until all the underlying funds are correct.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

fsrph wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:15 am Had a link to Vanguard funds closing prices saved. Clicked on it today and different page came up which was useless.

Francis
Yeah, they've so removed the link to the old site. Now if you want to know the yield of a bond fund, you have to scrooooooooooool and then expand a section.
CRC_Volunteer

Post by CRC_Volunteer »

Vanguard's site now looks like it was designed for Mr. Magoo.
"Let me explain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up." (Inigo Montoya) | | 65/30/05 | 53% VTSAX | 12% VTIAX | 30% VAIPX | 5% CASH
TropikThunder

Post by TropikThunder »

I’ve always just created a watchlist for the funds I care about. What’s the use case for being able to see the daily closing NAV for every fund Vanguard sells?
zaplunken

Post by zaplunken »

exodusNH wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:28 pm

Francis
Yeah, they've so removed the link to the old site. Now if you want to know the yield of a bond fund, you have to scrooooooooooool and then expand a section.
The other day I noticed that when I click a BM for a fund I have instead of scrolling down 6 or 7 pages to see the price and yield, there is a serious of links across the top of the page and if you click Price it scrolls down for you. It is much faster.

Until a few days ago there was a link to look at the old format, that is now gone. This new format is a joke, it looks like it was designed by a 9 year old and is for people with 20/400 vision. The old format was great, I wish Vanguard would stop improving things.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

zaplunken wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:53 pm
exodusNH wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:28 pm Yeah, they've so removed the link to the old site. Now if you want to know the yield of a bond fund, you have to scrooooooooooool and then expand a section.
The other day I noticed that when I click a BM for a fund I have instead of scrolling down 6 or 7 pages to see the price and yield, there is a serious of links across the top of the page and if you click Price it scrolls down for you. It is much faster.

Until a few days ago there was a link to look at the old format, that is now gone. This new format is a joke, it looks like it was designed by a 9 year old and is for people with 20/400 vision. The old format was great, I wish Vanguard would stop improving things.
Yep, after some research, due to elimination of the link to the old format, I discovered that "price" is the one to click on to see the SEC yield. Or alternatively, if you go to the advisor site as someone suggested above, then it is just a short scroll down in the initial "overview: section. And should you venture to the institutional site, you will find it under "yield and distribution".

It seems very logical that SEC yield would appear in a different section on each Vanguard site :mrgreen: .
billfromct

Post by billfromct »

I’m sure the head IT person said to her/his staff, “We got to do something to justify our jobs, so how about changing the format for customers to access mutual fund information. You know, why have everything accessible on a single page with a single link (scroll up/down & scroll right/left) when we can have 4 or 5 links & ‘clicks’ to get the same fund information. Make it complicated so customers think we’re putting a lot of thought into these ‘enhancements’.”

I guess they didn’t read the Jack Bogle memo, “Don’t do something, just stand there!”

bill
zaplunken

Post by zaplunken »

I guess this is what you get when you pay minimum wage to 4 or 5 15 year old kids in high school who are studying how to build websites and have them design a new layout when the original was fine but change for the sake of change is good.
Oicuryy

Post by Oicuryy »

Is there an easy way to pick data out of a json file? This json file has a lot of data about Vanguard funds.
https://investor.vanguard.com/investmen ... funddetail

I used this online tool to convert the json file to a .csv file.
https://www.convertcsv.com/json-to-csv.htm

Then downloaded the .csv file into Excel. Daily price data looks to be in columns DX through EI.

Ron
Money is fungible | Abbreviations and Acronyms
coffeehubcap

Post by coffeehubcap »

What about the authors on this site, don't they have some influence with Vanguard?

Does anyone have an easy roadmap to transfer everything to Fidelity, including pro's, con's and cost?
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

coffeehubcap wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:08 pm What about the authors on this site, don't they have some influence with Vanguard?

Does anyone have an easy roadmap to transfer everything to Fidelity, including pro's, con's and cost?
You'd move your entire portfolio from one broker to another just because of one web page?
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
coffeehubcap

Post by coffeehubcap »

Yeh, I know it's asking for more trouble by switching. It's not just one page, it's the entire website. I'm too old for this stuff. To make matters worse, Morningstar has updated their website as well and that's been my go to instead of farting around with Vanguard. At least MS is workable for me.

I've contacted my recent guy at Vanguard and he says "no way to going back to the previous style website" You'd think they would've put out a beta version to get our reaction to what they were doing.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I seem to recall this format came out with a different URL a while ago. But there have been a number of changes so I can't be sure I'm remembering this one. I'm old too -- but that also means I have simplified my financial life quite a bit so the specifics of their web sites might be irritating but not a material impact on what I do.
zaplunken

Post by zaplunken »

jebmke wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:42 pm I seem to recall this format came out with a different URL a while ago. But there have been a number of changes so I can't be sure I'm remembering this one. I'm old too -- but that also means I have simplified my financial life quite a bit so the specifics of their web sites might be irritating but not a material impact on what I do.
That's pretty much where I am too. While I hate the new format, my days of picking different mutual funds is over. I'm just parked in the total domestic and international equity funds in all 3 accounts. I'm using the settlement fund for fixed income in my roll over IRA and taxable, I also have the Intermediate-Term Tax-Exempt Fund in taxable. One day when interest rates stabilize I may go back into a bond fund or 2 in the rollover IRA. I do look at nav and yield on several bond funds just to see how rising rates have been effecting them but those are bookmarked. The loss of that old format comparison chart really is a shame. I used to really hold Vanguard in high esteem for decades but if I was starting out I probably would use Fidelity or Schwab but since I'm not familiar with them and I am at Vanguard I'll just stay put.